American Missionary Killed by Endangered Tribe

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He discribed himself as:'-on social media the young man presented himself as a keen traveller and adventurer.'
That does not sound like a Christian missionary.

A later report on the bbc site, the parents said he was a Christian missionary.

He was working alone, with no support or oversight, in defiance of local laws.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,911.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
He discribed himself as:'-on social media the young man presented himself as a keen traveller and adventurer.'
That does not sound like a Christian missionary.

A later report on the bbc site, the parents said he was a Christian missionary.

He was working alone, with no support or oversight, in defiance of local laws.

Here's a link that goes into more detail about this man and his ill fated journey.

'Please do not be mad at them or at God if I get killed': American Christian missionary's letter to his family
Christian missionary's letter to his family before he was killed | Daily Mail Online

He did write a letter to his parents just before he was killed where he tells them that he felt it was worth risking his life to declare Jesus to these people.

While it's clear that this man had good intentions, he was obviously misguided.

These people clearly warned him that he wasn't welcome in his first attempt to make contact, and he decided to return anyway.

How did he think he was going to reach these people with the gospel if he doesn't speak their language? He couldn't even communicate to them why he was even there to begin with. Even bearing gifts got him nowhere.

The way I see it, God showed him he was making a mistake by preserving his life after his first attempt to reach these people.

I'm not saying he deserved to be killed, but he should have had the common sense to know not to return to the island after his first encounter.

He was given a warning and unfortunately for him he chose to ignore it.

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,911.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I am not going to pass judgement on this man. For all I know he may have been right to do what he did. He seems to have understood the chance he was taking.

Yes, he no doubt did his research on these people and he had to know in advance that it was illegal for him to visit the island and that the people living there have been known to kill outsiders.

According to this young man's letters, he went to the island the day before he was killed and offered gifts. In return he was met by people yelling at him and shooting arrows at him. God allowed him to safely escape and preserved his life that day, but it was made clear by the actions of the islands inhabitants that he was not welcome on their island and they were willing to kill him.

By returning the following day, he clearly showed a lack of good sense and judgement.

This young man also violated the law by attempting to reach the island and caused those whom he paid to take him close enough to the island to reach it to also break the law. This was clearly wrong on his part.

In addition, he didn't consider the welfare of the people he was trying to reach. They have had very limited contact with the outside world and they likely have no immunity to many diseases. His visit potentially put this entire tribe at risk for disease which could wipe out the entire population.

And lastly, his death has brought unwanted and negative attention to these people.

Was it God's plan or this young man's plan to take the gospel to these people? If anything it appears to me that his actions were selfish. He ignored the law, ignored the wishes of these people to be left alone, and he has now unnecessarily lost his life leaving his friends and family in a state of mourning.

Loving others means respecting them. Following Christ requires us to respect authority. This young man's actions are a good example of how not to do missionary work. I hope his death will not be in vain and will serve as a lesson to others who are considering the mission field.

Last edited:
Upvote 0