✟36,890.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
arunma said:
I think you mean Noah. The human race is at least 200,000 years old, so it's probable that Noah lived around this time. Abraham, on the other hand, lived only 2,000 years before Jesus Christ. So in reality, very few people (mostly ethnic Jews) are actually descended from Abraham.

Of course, in Christ we are all spiritual descendants of Abraham, and heirs to the promise that God made him.

No, I mean Abraham (I realize that there are some areas of the world which have been genetically isolated from 4000 years ago to pretty recently, and my statement may be less likely for them). But that's 4000 years--in which to obtain 1 ancestor that was descended from Abraham. Our count of ancestors accumulate exponentially as we trace our family trees, yet there are more people living today than ever before. There's a point at which every family tree fails to fork very much, and that's probably only about 1000 years ago.

Edited to add: this link explains it a little better than I did, I think http://genealogyinstlouis.accessgenealogy.com/shoemaker.htm

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
MC1171611 said:
If you read the genealology in Genesis, the earth is roughly 6,000 years old; Adam had Seth at 130, Seth had Enos at 105, Enos had Cainan at 90, Cainan had Mahalaleel at 70, Mahalaleel had Jared at 65, Jared had Enoch at 162, Enoch had Methuselah at 65, at 187 Methuselah had Lamech, Lamech lived 182 years and begat Noah. That puts us at 1056 years until Noah was born.

Noah was 500 years old when he had Shem, Ham and Japheth. Now, I don't have the chart at the moment, but there is one that lays out the Biblical geneologies that proves the earth to be right around 6,000 years old.

Many basic Bible students figured that all out and estimated that everything sort of began in 4,000 BC and it's 6,000 years old. The problem with that is: the genealogies are not necessarily comprehensive genealogies. In other words, it may say, "So and so was the son of so and so" and skip three generations, in other words, he is really a great-grandson. So we can't isolate the chronological history of the world down to the specifics of the genealogies, because there are definitely points at where the genealogies skip. But even with genealogical consideration we wouldn't be anywhere near beyond 10,000 years.

Therefore, theology schools are teaching theology students that the earth is between 4,000 and 10,000 years old.

Upvote 0

Joykins

free Crazy Liz!
Jul 14, 2005
Down in Mary's Land
✟36,890.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
arunma said:
The problem is, you think that Roman slavery and American slavery are the same thing. That comparison is not appropriate.

I used to think that too, but now that I've learned more about slavery in the ancient world, I think that slavery is *always* dehumanizing and treating human beings as possessions to be owned is *always* wrong.

The chief distinctive of U.S. slavery is that it was also taught that people of African descent were less human and could therefore morally be enslaved--and, scripture was interpreted supposedly to support this hellborn idea. As a result, unlike in Roman slavery (which viewed any conquered people as fodder for slavery) the basic humanity of the slaves was degraded even further and basic human things like marriage and education were denied.

But the Roman system was still plenty, plenty bad. Their field hands and mine workers may have had it worse, even.

Upvote 0

MC1171611

Jul 22, 2005
Indiana
✟772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
arunma said:
Hmm, we seem to have some disagreement here. Whatever, creationism isn't a salvation issue anyway.

Actually, if you don't believe in Creation as taught in the Bible (Ex. 21:11), then you have to throw the whole thing out as false (Ps. 12:6-7). So, our entire belief system truly rests on the six-day creation as taught in Genesis; prove that false, and most people would have to quit believing the Bible.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MC1171611 said:
Actually, if you don't believe in Creation as taught in the Bible (Ex. 21:11), then you have to throw the whole thing out as false (Ps. 12:6-7). So, our entire belief system truly rests on the six-day creation as taught in Genesis; prove that false, and most people would have to quit believing the Bible.

Do you mean the six, twenty four hour day creation? Or just the six day? Do you see a problem with your narrow view in my question?

Upvote 0

Crazy Liz

Oct 28, 2003
California
✟23,305.00
Faith
Christian
eldermike said:
Do you mean the six, twenty four hour day creation? Or just the six day? Do you see a problem with your narrow view in my question?
Aren't the last couple of pages of this thread pretty far :topic: ?

If you want to talk about YEC and human ancestry, why not start another thread?

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Crazy Liz said:
Aren't the last couple of pages of this thread pretty far :topic: ?

If you want to talk about YEC and human ancestry, why not start another thread?

I don't want to talk about it, I have been reading the thread. It's moved from Christian Nation to "are you a Christian if you don't agree with me". I was just making a point as to how silly this is.

But, I'll go back to reading and you see if you can get it back on topic.

Upvote 0

Flynmonkie

The First Official FrankenMonkie ;)
Feb 23, 2004
Home of Harry Truman - Missouri
Visit site
✟20,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
eldermike said:
But, I'll go back to reading and you see if you can get it back on topic.
Go Liz!
Go Liz!
Take your shoes off!
Get your feet wet!

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Isn't it nice to know we have so much faith in you? :D

On a serious note - I want to clarify, by no means is it my intent to say that someone is *not* a Christian here. I just feel there might be some misunderstanding of scripture. Amongst other things... :(

Upvote 0

MC1171611

Jul 22, 2005
Indiana
✟772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
eldermike said:

To answer your first somewhat sarcastic questions: six (6) day; they were twenty-four (24) hour periods. The day-age hypothesis is slightly on the insane side: the infallible Word of God (KJB) doesn't need to be reconciled with science falsely so-called.

And, to answer what seems like a question (at the end of your post): No. I have a Biblical view; if it is narrow-minded, that is your problem, not mine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whew!!!! I just slogged through the pages of arguments...err.."discussions" from the weekend. What an interesting thread.:eek: I have some observations for the major players that I wanted to share with them.

Arunma, let the racism thing go. Racism is wrong, everyone agrees. It's also a problem, everyone agrees with that too. No one has said or implied otherwise, so in many ways, you're beating a dead horse. What racism is not, is a characteristic of every caucasian. In fact, as a caucasian, I have definitely been a victim of racism, instead of the stereotypical oppressor. I find it ironic that the support for racism is the alledged suffering of racism. No wonder it just keeps going!! One assertion in the thread that I wholeheartedly agree with, is that if Jesse Jackson and his type would stop aggravating it, racism would be nearly defunct in this country. Unfortunately, I have seen far too many people who revel in the misguided view that they are "victims". That mentality has got to go!! Bear in mind that any racism Mr Jackson has endured does not validate or legitimize his ideology. Two wrongs still don't make a right. Just remember that despite what pop culture tells you, every white man is not out to get you.

MC1171611, I have several observations for you. Please just think about them, and give them an honest consideration.

First is something my wife is almost continually telling me, "It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it." Never fear, I would never suggest you compromise, but what I am suggesting is that you evaluate your approach. Did Jesus tell the woman at the well that she was an ungodly, wicked, harlot of a woman? She was, so He technically would have been "right" (as in correct) to tell her those things. But He didn't approach it like that, instead He gently showed her the truth of her sin, while conveying His love for her person.

Secondly, is that perhaps you stick to one topic at a time. Having fourteen arguments on the table at once is confusing, at best. Not only is it confusing, it dilutes any validity presented because no one is able to focus on it. By all means, let's talk about all fourteen topics. Let's just do it in a decent and orderly way, so that all parties involved can lucidly participate. There is a lot of room in cyberspace, we don't have to fill it up all at once. ;)

Thirdly, is the suggestion that you utilize a bit more patience. It won't hurt anything to not answer instantaneously. Wait, think about your reply, its stregths and weaknessess, dare I say pray about it, and when you have comprehensive answer, then put it up. A great chess player, when talking about the game, said "When you see a good move, wait. Look for a better one." This little truism most certainly would apply to this forum.

Fourthly, try to approach the scripture from a holistic view. Do you know who Ron Comfort is? I once heard him say that "the best commentary on the Bible, is the Bible." A good example of this is the book of James. If the only book of the Bible we had was James, I'm quite certain we would see many more people who believed they could work their way to heaven. However, when we evaluate the book of James in regard to the rest of the teachings of the New Testament, we can see that James is specifically addressing a Jewish audience, well grounded in the Old Testament, and is a development of their OT understanding and practice. The rest of the NT is what allows us to understand salvation by grace through faith alone. If we take James at it's initial impression, we would have an inaccurate picture of God's plan. When we take James through the lense of the REST of the Bible, we see that true faith will have works. That's a rather lengthy example, but unfortunately, you have done a similar thing numerous times, and thereby weakened the support for perfectly defendable positions. To sum this suggestion, don't utilize verses out of context or in isolation. It weakens any credibility you may have had, and is certainly not rightly dividing the word of truth.

Lastly, consider the admonition from Paul to Timothy, "Let no man despise thy youth." I'm sure you know that the connotation of this charge, is to behave yourself in a manner which will not enable your church to say, "he's just a kid." I have noticed that you have taken a lot of flak in this thread for being seventeen, and to be quite frank with you, you have deserved it. You have presented yourself as arrogant, hostile, aggressive, caustic, immature, and downright militant. Because you have been, in essence, throwing impulsive, poorly thought out, temper tantrums of weak support for your numerous assertions, you have given anyone who can read English an opportunity to legitimately say, 'he's only seventeen." Actually, you have come accross more like a thirteen year old, to be honest. If you sincerely want to dialogue with fellow believers, and find out how beliefs differ, etc., you are in the right place. If all you want to do is be argumentative, you're still probably in the right place, but unfortunately, you will profit little if at all from the exeperience.

Notice I have not said you were right, wrong, or otherwise in your positions. I'll let you speak for yourself. I would simply urge you to be more logical, hospitable, and mature in your interactions with people you don't even know, especially when they are most likely brothers in Christ.

Please accept these observations in the spirit with which they are given.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
novcncy said:
Arunma, let the racism thing go.

Maybe it's just the heavy emphasis that my church places on this issue, but I can't simply let this go. Racism is a severe problem in the Christian church, and it needs to be eliminated. By emphasizing this, and making it an issue in as many discussions as possible, I'm trying to ensure that the issue won't be forgotten or brushed aside, as if we've solved the problem.

novcncy said:
Racism is wrong, everyone agrees. It's also a problem, everyone agrees with that too. No one has said or implied otherwise, so in many ways, you're beating a dead horse.

Do they? Many people seem to show a silent agreement with those who would practice racial discrimination within the church. I don't agree with your assessment that everyone is opposed to racist beliefs.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
novcncy said:
Whew!!!! I just slogged through the pages of arguments...err.."discussions" from the weekend. What an interesting thread.:eek: I have some observations for the major players that I wanted to share with them.

Arunma, let the racism thing go. Racism is wrong, everyone agrees. It's also a problem, everyone agrees with that too. No one has said or implied otherwise, so in many ways, you're beating a dead horse. What racism is not, is a characteristic of every caucasian. In fact, as a caucasian, I have definitely been a victim of racism, instead of the stereotypical oppressor. I find it ironic that the support for racism is the alledged suffering of racism. No wonder it just keeps going!! One assertion in the thread that I wholeheartedly agree with, is that if Jesse Jackson and his type would stop aggravating it, racism would be nearly defunct in this country. Unfortunately, I have seen far too many people who revel in the misguided view that they are "victims". That mentality has got to go!! Bear in mind that any racism Mr Jackson has endured does not validate or legitimize his ideology. Two wrongs still don't make a right. Just remember that despite what pop culture tells you, every white man is not out to get you.

MC1171611, I have several observations for you. Please just think about them, and give them an honest consideration.

First is something my wife is almost continually telling me, "It's not WHAT you say, but HOW you say it." Never fear, I would never suggest you compromise, but what I am suggesting is that you evaluate your approach. Did Jesus tell the woman at the well that she was an ungodly, wicked, harlot of a woman? She was, so He technically would have been "right" (as in correct) to tell her those things. But He didn't approach it like that, instead He gently showed her the truth of her sin, while conveying His love for her person.

Secondly, is that perhaps you stick to one topic at a time. Having fourteen arguments on the table at once is confusing, at best. Not only is it confusing, it dilutes any validity presented because no one is able to focus on it. By all means, let's talk about all fourteen topics. Let's just do it in a decent and orderly way, so that all parties involved can lucidly participate. There is a lot of room in cyberspace, we don't have to fill it up all at once. ;)

Thirdly, is the suggestion that you utilize a bit more patience. It won't hurt anything to not answer instantaneously. Wait, think about your reply, its stregths and weaknessess, dare I say pray about it, and when you have comprehensive answer, then put it up. A great chess player, when talking about the game, said "When you see a good move, wait. Look for a better one." This little truism most certainly would apply to this forum.

Fourthly, try to approach the scripture from a holistic view. Do you know who Ron Comfort is? I once heard him say that "the best commentary on the Bible, is the Bible." A good example of this is the book of James. If the only book of the Bible we had was James, I'm quite certain we would see many more people who believed they could work their way to heaven. However, when we evaluate the book of James in regard to the rest of the teachings of the New Testament, we can see that James is specifically addressing a Jewish audience, well grounded in the Old Testament, and is a development of their OT understanding and practice. The rest of the NT is what allows us to understand salvation by grace through faith alone. If we take James at it's initial impression, we would have an inaccurate picture of God's plan. When we take James through the lense of the REST of the Bible, we see that true faith will have works. That's a rather lengthy example, but unfortunately, you have done a similar thing numerous times, and thereby weakened the support for perfectly defendable positions. To sum this suggestion, don't utilize verses out of context or in isolation. It weakens any credibility you may have had, and is certainly not rightly dividing the word of truth.

Lastly, consider the admonition from Paul to Timothy, "Let no man despise thy youth." I'm sure you know that the connotation of this charge, is to behave yourself in a manner which will not enable your church to say, "he's just a kid." I have noticed that you have taken a lot of flak in this thread for being seventeen, and to be quite frank with you, you have deserved it. You have presented yourself as arrogant, hostile, aggressive, caustic, immature, and downright militant. Because you have been, in essence, throwing impulsive, poorly thought out, temper tantrums of weak support for your numerous assertions, you have given anyone who can read English an opportunity to legitimately say, 'he's only seventeen." Actually, you have come accross more like a thirteen year old, to be honest. If you sincerely want to dialogue with fellow believers, and find out how beliefs differ, etc., you are in the right place. If all you want to do is be argumentative, you're still probably in the right place, but unfortunately, you will profit little if at all from the exeperience.

Notice I have not said you were right, wrong, or otherwise in your positions. I'll let you speak for yourself. I would simply urge you to be more logical, hospitable, and mature in your interactions with people you don't even know, especially when they are most likely brothers in Christ.

Please accept these observations in the spirit with which they are given.

Very well done ! Thank you!

Upvote 0

MC1171611

Jul 22, 2005
Indiana
✟772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
arunma said:
Maybe it's just the heavy emphasis that my church places on this issue, but I can't simply let this go. Racism is a severe problem in the Christian church, and it needs to be eliminated. By emphasizing this, and making it an issue in as many discussions as possible, I'm trying to ensure that the issue won't be forgotten or brushed aside, as if we've solved the problem.

You know what? If you would quit digging the dead horse out of the grave, the issue would stay dead. But, if you insist on pushing your opinions on everyone else, you are the one causing, not helping, the "problem."

arunma said:
Do they? Many people seem to show a silent agreement with those who would practice racial discrimination within the church. I don't agree with your assessment that everyone is opposed to racist beliefs.

I, apparently the firmest Bible Believer in this discussion, oppose racism fully. Anyone that belittles or asserts that one "race" is superior to another is WRONG. There; are you satisfied?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
arunma said:

Actually.. after growing up deaf... I have been discriminated within the Church. Therefore, it is my observation that every group engages in discrimination within their own group. A Christ-Like attitude should be Christ-centered relatedness to EVERYONE with positive connotations and points toward togetherness, equality, and peace.

I rather not talk about the negativism of discrimination but be pro-active of spiritual unity for everyone.

Reactions: Joykins
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
arunma said:
Maybe it's just the heavy emphasis that my church places on this issue, but I can't simply let this go. Racism is a severe problem in the Christian church...

Okay, we can start a new thread? Basically, I did indeed use the wrong word, when I chose everyone. Not everyone, most.

I appreciate the honesty regarding your church's emphasis. Consider that little insight for moment or two more.

Could it be that it's a severe problem because the church refuses to seperate itself from pop culture and its agenda?

Upvote 0

novcncy

Apr 14, 2005
✟1,143.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
JimfromOhio said:
Actually.. after growing up deaf... I have been discriminated within the Church. Therefore, it is my observation that every group engages in discrimination within their own group. A Christ-Like attitude should be Christ-centered relatedness to EVERYONE with positive connotations and points toward togetherness, equality, and peace.

I rather not talk about the negativism of discrimination but be pro-active of spiritual unity for everyone.

What an excellant point, and the actual issue. But it's much more politically convenient to keep this issue defined by racial lines, instead of realizing the flawed humanity it represents.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
MC1171611 said:
You know what? If you would quit digging the dead horse out of the grave, the issue would stay dead. But, if you insist on pushing your opinions on everyone else, you are the one causing, not helping, the "problem."

I'm not sure you fully understand the issue. If the issue remains "dead" as you say, then the problem will continue. The only difference is that Christians will stop attacking the problem.

MC1171611 said:
I, apparently the firmest Bible Believer in this discussion, oppose racism fully. Anyone that belittles or asserts that one "race" is superior to another is WRONG. There; are you satisfied?

Again, if you constantly assert your own righteousness over that of others, your behavior resembles that of the Pharisees (just something to consider for your own spiritual well-being). Anyway, you've maintained several times that you oppose racism fully, but you also make contradictory statements, including your belief that the Bible allows race-based slavery. So I'm not really sure what you believe anymore.

Novcncy said:
Okay, we can start a new thread? Basically, I did indeed use the wrong word, when I chose everyone. Not everyone, most.

You're right. Perhaps I will start a new thread soon, and then we can return to the original topic.

Upvote 0

MC1171611

Jul 22, 2005
Indiana
✟772.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Flynmonkie said:
MC1171611 I noticed you are from Chile, are you bilingual or are you using a translator? Is English your first language?

Si, no, quisa; ¡nesecito un translador! Actually, I live in Ohio, and am on a missions trip to Chile; English is my first language. And to answer the ¿question? about the extranjero Bibles: God has provided many excellent Bibles for non-English speaking peoples. Now, while these will never hold a candle to the KJB, they are close, and can be used as the Word of God in that language. If there is not a good translation already, then a missionary to such a country or language group should attempt to translate the KJB into that language.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.