Am I wrong for thinking this about the virus and work?

princess34

Apr 15, 2019
Birmingham
✟11,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, we all know the virus has "caused" a lot of people to be laid off or sent home from work. While of course, it is all a catastrophe, but I have heard people complaining about all the distractions they have at home and not being able to work in peace (like family members being home, kids, etc). But have anyone ever thought that work itself could be the distraction at this time? Technically, WE (kids, family)belong at home and personally, I hate having (and always have) work infringe upon my home life and having being told to how to spend my time at home and just "stay busy and become entangled in work all day." Of course, I can see how someone who works from home anyway would have a different view of this. But, I just have always been a proponent of maintaining a healthy work-life balance. And being forced to work from home seems to actually be counterproductive. It's like being told to stay busy 8 hours a day, on top of being forced to be quarantined, only reinforces my stress and frustration. If I am tied up "focusing on work" on a computer all day, when do I have time to go out and get some sunshine and vitamin D? (If this makes sense.)

Of course, I know some people would say that I am nuts and that you must "work, work, work" and that there is nothing else to do at this time, but with this kind of national plague should we just not automatically be compensated whether we work or not and should have a choice to work or not from home? (And this would apply to only people who are "non-essential" because if you are working from home, I would assume you are "non-essential"). And I know some things like telemedicine or counseling are ALWAYS needed, so I am not talking about things of that nature. No one but the good Lord saw this coming and I know there is nothing else to do or any other way to be compensated if you have to be at home, but I think people should see the silver lining and not concentrate on so much pettiness such as not being able to socialize or go to a club (places that are ungodly anyway). I see the silver lining of being able to spend time with family (only if you love your family lol) on days and hours when you would just be tied up at work and also being able to get some much needed relaxation. Also, for kids that are in school and have struggled with tests or have been bullied, this could be a relief for them. So I think while people are complaining, they should consider other things. And, I know some may disagree with me, but I know most people are wired and tend to think like others, so I would not expect some people to see things from my perspective. Any thoughts? Thanks all.

Last edited:

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
It's like being told to stay busy 8 hours a day, on top of being forced to be quarantined, only reinforces my stress and frustration. If I am tied up "focusing on work" on a computer all day, when do I have time to go out and get some sunshine and vitamin D? (If this makes sense.)
My workplace has always known the value of breaks. Before the pandemic and everyone was told to start working from home, taking a break to walk around the building (weather permitting) at least once a day was actively encouraged. It's not that much of a difference - walk around your apartment building or up and down the block on a break. Also, when we were told to all work from home, a best practices e-mail of suggestions was shared - which included breaks. Walk up and down the stairs, etc.

Of course, I know some people would say that I am nuts and that you must "work, work, work" and that there is nothing else to do at this time, but with this kind of national plague should we just not automatically be compensated whether we work or not and should have a choice to work or not from home?
Where's that money going to come from?

Upvote 0