Am I unable to repent?

TenthAveN

Puppies are an acceptable form of currency.
Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hello,

Last night, and just a few moments ago, I committed sexual sin. I read what John Piper had to say to someone who wrote him about sexual sin, and he suggested that Esau got to a point where he couldn’t repent anymore, even though he sought it with tears. Other commentators have suggested that he wasn’t denied repentance, but he couldn’t get the blessing. I’m concerned because I don’t think I feel bad (and if I do, not enough) about the sin itself, I just feel bad about it immediately afterwards. I don’t even know if this concern is genuine or if it’s just to manipulate God.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
""If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them. Even if they sin against you seven times in a day and seven times come back to you saying 'I repent,' you must forgive them." (Luke 17:4 NIV).

This was the response of Jesus to Peter who asked him how many times he should forgive a brother who sinned against him.

If this is the standard that Jesus set Peter, then surely, when it comes to forgiveness, we can expect a far higher standard from our Lord.

Jesus forgives seventy times seven. He saves to the uttermost. The standard of our Lord is total and complete forgiveness, and a love that reaches out to embrace us, no matter how far we have fallen, and no matter how many times we fail.

Forgiveness and the opportunity to amend our lives is always there for the asking. If we fail the Lord ten times or even a hundred times in one day and return to him, we will always be met with kindness.

God's mercy and grace towards should never be taken presumptuously or for granted and neither should it be taken as a licence to sin. However, the love of God is much wider and deeper than any of us could imagine and, like the prodigal son, when we leave that place of desolation and find ourselves embraced in the Father's arms, we find love, healing and liberation.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
TenthAveN be wise to listen to Anthony2019 :)

I know John Piper but.. praise God what he personally believes is not always Gods word. This goes for all of us. Christ already died for the sin of the world. There is no SIN in your life that got by Him. There is no SIN He remembers. That does not give us the right to sin. Sin is still wrong. Like your mom or dad lets say. There are people out side that are not your family. You are family and their love for you will never change and you will always be family. They will never cast you out. Yet you can still do things that hurt them.

Do you see? See when you repent.. He is faithful.. FAITHFUL to forgive you and cleans you from ALL unrighteousness. And Esau.. Christ was not even here. God said there is coming a day when HE will remember their sin no more.

See if you stood before the Father right now (oh and you CAN!) you would be thinking of all your sins and those you have not given up yet. But He sees you RIGHT NOW righteous aka righteousness. Sees you through what His SON already did. GOD is faithful to what CHRIST did! Because you believe in His son it is counted to you as righteousness. He said.. Jesus didn't come to condemn the world but to save it.

So.. there is no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus. Before there was internet I was in collage and this preacher came on the radio saying "I don't think there are any that have sinned more then me. Just get up dust off and keep going". Just repent and no matter how you FEEL KNOW He forgives. Thats hard because we KNOW we should be punished. Yet He came foreword told the Judge to set you free and He would take the punishment meant for you. Yeah.. thats why Hes GOD. He loves you.. HE LOVES YOU!

So forgive your self and tell Him how much you love what He did.. the price He paid for the WORLD! You are forgiven.. walk in it no matter what you feel think of see. Walk by faith.. ..luke 11 13

Upvote 0

UnpopularOpinion

Oct 18, 2020
Wroclaw
✟13,398.00
Country
Poland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello,

Last night, and just a few moments ago, I committed sexual sin. I read what John Piper had to say to someone who wrote him about sexual sin, and he suggested that Esau got to a point where he couldn’t repent anymore, even though he sought it with tears. Other commentators have suggested that he wasn’t denied repentance, but he couldn’t get the blessing. I’m concerned because I don’t think I feel bad (and if I do, not enough) about the sin itself, I just feel bad about it immediately afterwards. I don’t even know if this concern is genuine or if it’s just to manipulate God.
Again and Again I just don't understand why people think Repentance means stop doing sin.
It must be comming from some schools that Pastors attend or something cuz it's the same thing they say and it's wrong.
Read Exodus 32:14 , Jonah 3:10 . God Repented , did he sin before ? No , Did he stop sinning ? No he never sinned it has nothing to do with sinning.

Repentance is change of mind from being not saved to getting saved , from being dead to life.
And yes you should put down your flesh to stop sinning but you will never stop sinning because your body is corrupted and it has it's desires.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. -1Jn 1:9​

Camp out there. Put on the full armor including the shield of faith to quench the fiery darts. Don't believe the lie that you can't come back. At Luke 15 Jesus likens Himself to the good shepherd who goes searching for his lost ones. Fear is useless, constant introspection is useless. Trust God, your Strength.

For sin will not have dominion over you, because you are not under law but under grace. -Rom 6:14​

Upvote 0

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Again and Again I just don't understand why people think Repentance means stop doing sin.
It must be comming from some schools that Pastors attend or something cuz it's the same thing they say and it's wrong.
Read Exodus 32:14 , Jonah 3:10 . God Repented , did he sin before ? No , Did he stop sinning ? No he never sinned it has nothing to do with sinning.

Repentance is change of mind from being not saved to getting saved , from being dead to life.
And yes you should put down your flesh to stop sinning but you will never stop sinning because your body is corrupted and it has it's desires.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. 16If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. 17Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. 18For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. 19For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. 20Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.

Do what you want with the word repentace, still we need to be willing and to try to stop sinning with the help of God.

Reactions: Billy93
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟163,485.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello,

What kind of sin was it - inappropriate content, self-release, or with another person? (rhetorical question, don't answer)
But that would determine how to deal with it, and the nature of what is behind it. Some sins are death-resulting, and some are not (1 Jn. 5:16).

The first thing to do is get your identity straight. Do you really belong to God, or is this just wishful thinking? Rom. 8:16 says "the Holy Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God." Repentance begins here, because this drives the faith that is the basis of our relationship with God.

The next thing is asking God to deliver you from the practice of sin that leads to death, and from the addictions thereof. This is where faith in Christ becomes practical - John 15 "Abide in Me, for apart from Me you can do nothing" "if you abide in Me, you will bear much fruit." Deliverance from addictions likely requires help from other people and perhaps counsellors. This is part of the function of the church, to help one another.

Then start thanking God for what Christ has done for you, and do it daily. Memorize verses of scripture that can give you strength in times of temptation. Prov. 3:5-6 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight."
TD:)

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. -1Jn 1:9​

Camp out there. Put on the full armor including the shield of faith to quench the fiery darts. Don't believe the lie that you can't come back. At Luke 15 Jesus likens Himself to the good shepherd who goes searching for his lost ones. Fear is useless, constant introspection is useless. Trust God, your Strength.

For sin will not have dominion over you, because you are not under law but under grace. -Rom 6:14​
It often feels like I don’t even want to be saved anymore, and it’s confusing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NBB

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2013
Uruguay
✟454,520.00
Country
Uruguay
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There is rewards, good ones, in this earth and in heaven, you don't know how much we need God until you pass through something bad, like a lot of people suffer, and you see being in good terms with God is good since having him at your side is the best and a safe place. Living without God is not worth it at all.

Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I sometimes feel that way. But then reality inevitably intervenes and reminds me I really have no choice. Some issue will arise that compels me to lean on the Lord.

So Jesus said to the twelve, "You do not want to go away also, do you?" Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. "We have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God." - Jhn 6:67-69​

• Agree
Reactions: tturt
Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟722,927.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I find repentance is seeing that you are going in the wrong direction, recognizing the correct direction, and doing everything necessary to move in the correct direction - no matter how counter intuitive the "step" might be.

Sometimes it takes decades just to make a step in the right direction, and in the meantime all we can do is stand in a holding position.

I pray you find your liberation.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Last night, and just a few moments ago, I committed sexual sin. I read what John Piper had to say to someone who wrote him about sexual sin, and he suggested that Esau got to a point where he couldn’t repent anymore, even though he sought it with tears.

There is a progression into which we step when we make any choice in any particular direction. The Bible calls it "hardening." (Proverbs 28:14; Proverbs 29:1; Acts 19:9; Hebrews 3:8-15, etc.) We "harden" ourselves into thinking and behaviour by repeatedly engaging in them. This is, essentially, what we mean when we talk about forming habits. For extreme and obvious negative examples, consider the drug or alcohol addict, or the person who is obsessive-compulsive, or chronically debilitated by anxiety. At some point, the momentum of our repeated engagements in a kind of thinking and conduct becomes impossible to overcome in our own power; we are caught in a tidal wave of thought and action of our own making! This is why we ought to be extremely careful about the sorts of thoughts we allow in our minds and the sorts of things we choose to do.

The more you sin in violation of your conscience and the conviction of the Spirit, the more you harden yourself into deafness and blindness to both. Beware! Sin always carries at a cost!

Galatians 6:7-8 (NASB)
7 Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap.
8 For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life.

Romans 6:23 (NASB)
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

James 1:13-16 (NASB)
13 Let no one say when he is tempted, "I am being tempted by God"; for God cannot be tempted by evil, and He Himself does not tempt anyone.
14 But each one is tempted when he is carried away and enticed by his own lust.
15 Then when lust has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and when sin is accomplished, it brings forth death.
16 Do not be deceived, my beloved brethren.

I’m concerned because I don’t think I feel bad (and if I do, not enough) about the sin itself, I just feel bad about it immediately afterwards. I don’t even know if this concern is genuine or if it’s just to manipulate God.

What you feel about your sin is not nearly as important as what you do about it.

1 John 1:9
Romans 13:14
Romans 6:11
Romans 12:1
Philippians 3:12-14

Last edited:
Upvote 0

carrico

May 5, 2019
TN
✟31,783.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Blade said to take note from Anthony. I agree. Take note from Blade too. He's great!

If you're saved, you are covered in the blood. Please go to The Lord with this sin and ask for guidance. He is so good and so merciful. He will help you. I know temptation is so hard. I used to hate on myself for sexual sin- everything but sex (I was pretty much molested by my ex 24/7). I repented because I felt so guilty of it! I just knew God was going to make my ex stop touching me. I had no intentions, but found myself there because I was tempted and I was pretty much forced and guilted into it. Talk to your partner about what is going on and pray. I actually ended up breaking up with that guy because I felt like I was lying when I was repenting and it made me question myself as a Christian- a lot. It was really difficult. I could never bring myself to getting back together with him either. Sometimes what we repent over really gets to us when we can't break from the sin. You may not have any intention on doing what you are doing, but you find yourself there. It's like drinking one too many beers and then doing it again. How did we get there? We are blessed to have him because we can't escape sin on our own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

The bible tells us that the commands that God gives are for our own benefit. They help us to navigate this life. The heart of God is for our benefit. I noticed your profile list yourself as single. It can be hard being single, in the area of sexuality. I am not saying you should use that as an excuse to sin. But I am saying God understands the pressure a person can be put under. Living a lifestyle where we prioritize sexual purity is more for our benefit than it is to put a leash on us. If we have a heart of purity before marriage we are more likely to maintain a healthy and happy marriage. To just let our hair out can cause all sorts of problems in marriage. YOu may have slipped, but try to steady yourself. It will be for your good in the end.

Upvote 0

TenthAveN

Jun 18, 2020
North Texas
✟49,506.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The bible tells us that the commands that God gives are for our own benefit. They help us to navigate this life. The heart of God is for our benefit. I noticed your profile list yourself as single. It can be hard being single, in the area of sexuality. I am not saying you should use that as an excuse to sin. But I am saying God understands the pressure a person can be put under. Living a lifestyle where we prioritize sexual purity is more for our benefit than it is to put a leash on us. If we have a heart of purity before marriage we are more likely to maintain a healthy and happy marriage. To just let our hair out can cause all sorts of problems in marriage. YOu may have slipped, but try to steady yourself. It will be for your good in the end.
I try my best not to justify or make excuses. It’s just difficult to know where I’m at because I feel so spiritually dry. My emotions confuse me, making it seem like I don’t even want to be saved or to follow Jesus. The justification by works mindset is truly brutal.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟735,952.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I try my best not to justify or make excuses. It’s just difficult to know where I’m at because I feel so spiritually dry. My emotions confuse me, making it seem like I don’t even want to be saved or to follow Jesus. The justification by works mindset is truly brutal.
Looking back at my life before I was married, it was a confusing mess. I am now stable however. I remember walking backwards and forwards, in emotional pain, praying to God, and reminding myself of the fact God had good plans for me. There were times where I fell into inappropriate content usage, I would then hate myself for it, then go to the park and pray to plead with God to forgive me. One time I felt so desperate that I went to a servo, got a inappropriate content mag, took it home, then after I had used it felt so bad that I lit a fire and burnt it. I say all this to show, that life is not always easy as a single Christian. However, my desire was always to live pure, and follow God. Just the stress of life pushed me around some times. What I would say is don't give in to your desires, don't make them "You", push hard against them, and if you fall keep moving forward. Move away from your sin, don't surrender to it.

Reactions: Lg2000
Upvote 0