Westport, Connecticut
✟26,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel like the more that I learn, and the closer I try to follow Jesus, the sadder I become. Every day, the reality of our living in a fallen world becometh more apparent to me. I struggle to follow certain commandments as I learn them, but usually overcome. Some days, however, such as today, I feel hopeless. I don't always know how to do the right thing, and it can be hard to discern. I see so much evil in the world, but I'm not even sure what, if anything, we can do. Must we live in total silence and obedience? I feel like there's nothing I can do about anything. Am I supposed to feel this way? Am I supposed to hate my life in this world, so that I may have life everlasting in the next?

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟844,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I feel like the more that I learn, and the closer I try to follow Jesus, the sadder I become. Every day, the reality of our living in a fallen world becometh more apparent to me. I struggle to follow certain commandments as I learn them, but usually overcome. Some days, however, such as today, I feel hopeless. I don't always know how to do the right thing, and it can be hard to discern. I see so much evil in the world, but I'm not even sure what, if anything, we can do. Must we live in total silence and obedience? I feel like there's nothing I can do about anything. Am I supposed to feel this way? Am I supposed to hate my life in this world, so that I may have life everlasting in the next?

I don't see how we can avoid having a deep sadness about evil in the world, as well as sadness about our own participation in it. It wears on me, too. But I also experience great joy because of the good in the world; there is so much beauty and goodness. I think it's a mixed bag, and probably to be expected if we love what is good and hate what is evil. What gives me hope is the faith that sin, suffering, sorrow, and death will end, and what is good, beautiful, and true will remain. And, I think we are called to live according to what will remain even as we endure the rest. That's not always easy.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,244,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I hear you.

Some times we need to tune out the abominable stuff going on and be wrapped in the merciful love of God, who, after all, has already overcome the mess. Only there is joy sufficient to face the fallen world.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Although it is sad to see the state our world has fallen into, you should feel joy at the prospect of being loved so much by God that he sent Jesus to pay the penalty for your sins so that you could live with him for eternity. This is true for all the people in this fallen world; all those that will accept him. As a Christian, you have been commanded to make go out and make disciples. Pray for those you see doing evil and share the Gospel with them. That is what you can do. Whether or not they accept what you share with them is between them and God.

Your struggle to follow all the commandments of God is no uncommon. Becoming a Christian does not mean you will never sin again. It's no excuse to commit sin, but if you do sin, you have an advocate with the Father. When you fall, repent and get back on your feet. Also, when the Bible says to hate your life, it doesn't mean to feel miserable and depressed about being alive. A more clear translation from the original Greek would be to prioritize God and his Kingdom over your life.

Upvote 0

pdudgeon

Traditional Catholic
Site Supporter
In Memory Of
Aug 4, 2005
South East Virginia, US
✟493,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
We can be glad that Jesus is there to help us through these times.
Your post reminds me that Jesus must also have been sad at times, when He was here on Earth.
But His love overcame the sadness, because He knew beforehand that Evil would loose, and God's goodness would overcome, against all odds.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Think about Him.. just Him (God the Father.. the God of Abraham Isaac and Jacob and Christ savior to the world) Think about what He did.. left heaven for you came for you died for you rose for you. Let His joy be your strength. Be strong in the power of HIs might. You put on the whole armor of GOD! You have HIs peace. Even Christ left us His peace not as the world gives. So we don't are not moved by feelings for they are up and down all over the place. This is just one more reason we cast all our cares on Him. Let HIM take it let HIM handle it. Pray ask Him to show you what He sees.

Me? I raise my hands and praise Him .,. in sadness His joy is my strength. The more I think and praise and sing to Him His presences comes every time. That joy happiness come. So Christ even said let not your hearts be troubled. We walk by faith. Its what we can't see. HAHA PRAISE GOD GLORY TO JESUS. HE is doing more good then all the evil in this world. I remember a few years ago 1 million came to Christ in one day. People are still being saved, set free, healed.. HE IS ALIVE! This is the best time to be alive! Fact out of all time He put you here no other place. No one else could handle it. You have within you the GREAT I AM! King of kings lord of lords!

Upvote 0

Brad D.

A Way Unknown
Aug 22, 2022
US
✟106,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Now as He drew near Jerusalem He saw the city and wept over it , saying " If you, even you, had only known the things that make for your peace! But now they are hidden from you" He knows @Spingle. He knows how you feel. He knows How we all feel. And who of any of us is sufficient for these things? Yet, on that very day He went down into that same city, and was nailed to and crucified on a cross.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟253,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

Well you do not get everlasting life by hating your life. A person gets everlasting life by believing that Jesus is The promised Messiah, Son of God from the prophecies of The Tanakh and trust in The Messiah for God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟208,540.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single

Well, for starts, remember your salvation is not based on your behavior or obedience, but on Christ's obedience and atonement for you. It's by grace, stop trying to work your way into heaven.

So.. that said, knowing that myself, and while I don't have anxiety over my own obedience, knowing my salvation is in Christ, even with that. I do still empathize with sorrow over our own sin, and the fallenness of the world.

and there are biblical examples of Godly sorrow.

Ezekiel 9
1 He cried also in mine ears with a loud voice, saying, Cause them that have charge over the city to draw near, even every man with his destroying weapon in his hand.
2 And, behold, six men came from the way of the higher gate, which lieth toward the north, and every man a slaughter weapon in his hand; and one man among them was clothed with linen, with a writer's inkhorn by his side: and they went in, and stood beside the brasen altar.
3 And the glory of the God of Israel was gone up from the cherub, whereupon he was, to the threshold of the house. And he called to the man clothed with linen, which had the writer's inkhorn by his side;
4 And the Lord said unto him, Go through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and set a mark upon the foreheads of the men that sigh and that cry for all the abominations that be done in the midst thereof.
5 And to the others he said in mine hearing, Go ye after him through the city, and smite: let not your eye spare, neither have ye pity:
6 Slay utterly old and young, both maids, and little children, and women: but come not near any man upon whom is the mark; and begin at my sanctuary. Then they began at the ancient men which were before the house.

This is an end times vision you can compare it to the first half of Revelation 7 and Revelation 9 the first woe, but ultimately who is saved out of this? Those who sigh and cry at the fallenness of the world, those who recognize their position as sinners. God hates self-righteousness, God saves the lowly who recognize their own unworthiness.

also read the Psalms, David is an emotional rollercoaster. Praising God in one Psalm, feeling depressed and vexed in spirit and isolated and begging for God not to leave him the next. At times David is emotionally crushed over the state of the world around him, and angry and full of hatred at times (see Psalm 139, where David hates with "perfect hatred")

There is also Elijah, who in 1 Kings 19, was so isolated and depressed that God had to send an angel to give him nourishment and command him to eat and drink, and Elijah asked the Lord to kill him (instead the Lord ends up rapturing him, after giving him a Godly companion in Elisha to train as his successor)

and lastly Isaiah 53 describes Christ Himself as a man of sorrows, acquainted with grief, and we see this in Matthew 23
37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!
There is a Godly anger, and also a Godly sorrow in this statement, that Jesus WANTED to just usher in the messianic kingdom right then and there, but sadly knew He was rejected.

So, to have Godly sorrow over the fallenness of this world is not unusual, I have it too.
I'd say to some degree, we are in good company.

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I recommend stop watching the news. I also recommend stop watching tv. Try fasting and praying for guidance. In spite of all the bad things happening in the world, God is still doing miracles all over. Please pray about this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
John 10:10 “The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.” God wants you to be happy, and the devil wants you to suffer, So if you are going through hell do not stop, keep going and keep the faith, God loves you.

Upvote 0

Spingle

Oct 3, 2022
Westport, Connecticut
✟26,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I recommend stop watching the news. I also recommend stop watching tv. Try fasting and praying for guidance. In spite of all the bad things happening in the world, God is still doing miracles all over. Please pray about this.
How do I fast?

Upvote 0

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do I fast?
Drink fluids read The Bible and turn off all media. Pray for Christ to guide you. I have prayed for God The Father’s Will for you.

Upvote 0

Jermayn

May 22, 2019
Northwest Florida
✟109,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How do I fast?
Have you considered these feelings of remorse may be God calling you to some type of ministry?

Edit: I also agree with Isume. Fasting and prayer is a great idea.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,742.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I feel like the more that I learn, and the closer I try to follow Jesus, the sadder I become.

I suppose I'd ask you what does it mean TO YOU trying to follow Jesus more closely. Many could have different answers to that. Are we just learning about God by reading books, are we going to church even multiple times a week. One can do that and other things and still not have a relationship with God. It's difficult to answer a question you ask for one seeking to answer can come across like one of Job's friends (if you know that story) If it were me though I'd be touching bases on things like praise and worship throughout the day, for he said the Lord inhabits the praises of his people bring his joy and presence. God has provided for a a life of joy.

For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. Rom 14:17

That doesn't mean you won't have problems, some might even have persecution, but we fix our hearts to stay in the joy of the Lord regardless of what we see. The outside world yes is dark it has been since the fall of man. We however are the light of the world as we walk in Christ. But we don't look upon this world as a thing to pin our hopes on for anything but we look to the next world, a new heavens and a new earth wherein will be total righteousness and peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Spingle

Oct 3, 2022
Westport, Connecticut
✟26,880.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Have you considered these feelings of remorse may be God calling you to some type of ministry?

Edit: I also agree with Isume. Fasting and prayer is a great idea.
Yes, perhaps. I would like to mend the Great Schism and reunify Christians. It sounds impossible, but there must be something I can do. Maybe God wants me to take the Papacy, despite my not even being Catholic any longer. We ought to have some chain of command, some representative of God and Christ in this world. Maybe I can restore the church to its former glory.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟339,643.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, perhaps. I would like to mend the Great Schism and reunify Christians. It sounds impossible, but there must be something I can do. Maybe God wants me to take the Papacy, despite my not even being Catholic any longer. We ought to have some chain of command, some representative of God and Christ in this world. Maybe I can restore the church to its former glory.
Would that make you no longer sad?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,244,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You could start by making a good confession. When I get stuck going to confession yields remarkable results. And then begin the work of reparation for your sins and the sins of others. Those who serve and assist others typically are too busy with that to be sad. Go physically help somebody.

• Useful
Reactions: Spingle
Upvote 0
Apr 19, 2020
Virginia
✟95,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How do I fast?

Read Isaiah 58 on how to fast and why to fast. Fill your mind with the Word of God and you will push out all of the rubbish this world pressures you to be distracted by.

• Useful
Reactions: Spingle
Upvote 0