Miami
✟39,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I keep trying to give my life to Christ, then doubting I’m saved, then giving my life to Christ again. Over and over. I have been seeking that “moment of salvation,” because I know that once you have had that moment of salvation, everything is going to be OK in the long run. But the following concern came to mind this morning. The concern is about the matter of living for Jesus instead of living for yourself. Where do you draw the line on doing things for Jesus versus doing things for yourself? Don’t you breathe for yourself? Don’t you eat and drink for yourself? Don’t you go to the bathroom and wash your hands for yourself? Etc. If I got someone to say, “Yes, you do certain things for yourself,” then I would probably jump to the conclusion, “It’s therefore OK to do everything for yourself.” Am I still blind? Do I not know what living for Jesus means? Am I still unsaved?

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I keep trying to give my life to Christ, then doubting I’m saved, then giving my life to Christ again. Over and over. I have been seeking that “moment of salvation,” because I know that once you have had that moment of salvation, everything is going to be OK in the long run. But the following concern came to mind this morning. The concern is about the matter of living for Jesus instead of living for yourself. Where do you draw the line on doing things for Jesus versus doing things for yourself? Don’t you breathe for yourself? Don’t you eat and drink for yourself? Don’t you go to the bathroom and wash your hands for yourself? Etc. If I got someone to say, “Yes, you do certain things for yourself,” then I would probably jump to the conclusion, “It’s therefore OK to do everything for yourself.” Am I still blind? Do I not know what living for Jesus means? Am I still unsaved?

Do you desire to live for Jesus?

Reactions: Jesus is YHWH
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,395.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,330.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married

The great RC Sproul answered this common question this way. Do you have any love for God? Any at all? If yes, the Holy Spirit us working in you. Holy Spirit = saved.

I can tell from your own words though that the Holy Spirit is at work in you. Unregenerate people have no desire to live for God or want to walk in his ways.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I keep trying to give my life to Christ, then doubting I’m saved,

Start living as a Christian.

You say you know doctrine, so seek to obey the ten commandments in your daily life.
That is at work, don't blasp or use bad language, be truthful and honest to your employer, work colleagues and customers and the government.
Be regular in your attendance at church
Give to charity
Read, think and pray about what is in the bible.

You want to be a christian so do Christian things not what society thinks is christian.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
At which point were the disciples "saved"? We know at least for some specific moments when they responded to Christ's call of "follow me" but when were they formally "saved"? Salvation is a process not a moment and if you're searching for the moment then you'll never find it. The milestone moment is responding to Christ's call after that keep following him and the rest of it will work itself out.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lsume

Site Supporter
Mar 14, 2017
Florida
✟417,518.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matt.6 Verses 30 to 33

1. [30] Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
    [31] Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
    [32] (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
    [33] But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Try fasting and praying. Ask for God’s Will first. When it’s your time to be awakened it will happen.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,474.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Understanding the "acceptance" of salvation through Jesus Christ of Nazareth starts with loving Him above everything. That is when the Holy Spirit makes His Home in you. From there you are a team working together as you confirm to Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the will of the Father. Doubt will " quench" His Holy Spirit. Start now with true faith that has no doubt or confusion. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Roy Taylor

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.
Apr 15, 2020
Harrisburg
Visit site
✟24,066.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
You must be born again. You must forgive people of what they did to you, your family, your friends. You must ask Jesus into your heart and to forgive you of all your past sins. You need to forgive yourself. You must repent. Meaning you must not turn back or keeping doing those past sins you just asked forgiveness for. It is not an instant transformation in most cases. You need to know the Word of God, the bible. King James or New King James is best. You should read it everyday. At least a chapter bare minimum. You need to read the whole bible. Over and over again. It takes time. You need to pray everyday. Pray to be led by the Spirit. You will need to start putting the deeds or the desires of the flesh to death. You need to LOVE. Even love yourself.

Don't always trust your feelings. The devil wants you to quit or give up. He wants you to doubt. He will put negative thoughts in your mind. Have faith. The devil is real and wants to destroy every Christian spiritually. He is doing a good job at it. We need to put on the full armor of God. Read it in Ephesians 6. That is why you need to read the bible. Most Christians don't read the whole bible. Like I said earlier. Put the deeds of the flesh to death. Start ending your ungodly music and television shows. Start turning away from internet sites that don't help the soul. End horoscope, witch crafts, etc. Turn off media. Even true media and news only found on the internet. (I am learning that one at the moment).

Be careful what ministers you listen too. Most televangelist will tickle your ears or tell you what you want to hear. They will water down the truth. Charles Stanley is okay for a beginner. When your spirit says to get off the milk and get a little meat, I would suggest David Middleton, Milton Green, Rick Katt, Alan Ballou. Maybe some old time preaching from the 50's and 60's.

You can do this! God will help! Have faith! Jesus loves you and died to save you!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jonaitis

Soli Deo Gloria
Jan 4, 2019
Wyoming
✟123,651.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian

Just stop. This is not how you are "saved." You must stop trusting in your own efforts, and instead rest your faith in that Christ has suffered everything you deserved on the cross. It isn't a feeling, nor is it an experience. Those things may or may not accompany salvation, but they are not its foundation. Christ obeyed the law, in your place. Christ suffered the penalty of sin, in your place. All you have to do is rest in knowing that. Repentance doesn't mean avoiding things, it means a change of heart and mind toward sinfulness, and instead turning toward Christ as your Lord and Savior. You can't keep giving your life to Christ, you either trust him and what he has done, or do not.

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟886,360.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I had what you call the "moment of salvation" 2010. But it's not like everything went smooth from there. Not long after I had a spiritual crisis and thought my life as a Christian was over. But I got help from a Lutheran guy. He told me that it wasn't about me, how I felt inside but about what Christ had done for me on the cross. I think you need to get back to that ground, that Jesus has died on the cross for your sins. We are not perfect as Christians, but we trust in Christ's forgiveness.

It's not all these things Jesus wants you to do for him. Jesus wants your heart, you as a person, that's not something you "do" for him. He loves you and died for you, you know. If I were you I would have put my trust in Jesus' mercy for my life, resting on the fact that Jesus died for me on that old cross 2000 years ago. From there I would follow him... God bless!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SANTOSO

Jul 15, 2020
Jakarta
✟236,770.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you want to see, first hear what Jesus has spoken. And when you have understood what you heard Jesus said, then you will see or perceive, that you are no longer blind.

Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟757,456.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
... But the following concern came to mind this morning. The concern is about the matter of living for Jesus instead of living for yourself. Where do you draw the line on doing things for Jesus versus doing things for yourself? ...

I think you need to get your mind OFF yourself. We had a reading at mass last night from Galatians -
Galatians 5:14 NIV - "For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.

There was more to the reading but to me this encapsulated the entire passage. I suggest you get into some sort of charity or ministry where you're helping other people. At the moment all your attention seems to be on YOU. God wants you to start thinking about, and helping other people.

As you start to do that your faith will deepen and grow.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,295.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
This perfectly illustrates the problem with Decisionism. The false doctrine that salvation is about "making a decision for Jesus" or "asking Jesus into your heart". That's not how it works.

You are saved because Jesus Christ suffered and died for you. Faith in Him means trusting Him.

When we look to ourselves for our salvation all we will find is death in our sinful disobedience to God's commandments. It is impossible to be saved by our works and efforts.

Christ alone has accomplished everything, and He did this for you. It is yours. And it is free. You can trust this, believe this, have confidence in this. That is what it means to be saved through our faith. To be saved through our faith does not mean faith in Jesus is a work we do in order to earn salvation; faith is not just another work that can be added to the big long list of works. Faith is trust in Jesus and what Jesus has done for you.

And you cannot do this by yourself, you can't give yourself faith. Only the Holy Spirit can do this. That is why we come together to hear the Gospel preached, it's why we celebrate the Lord's Supper, because through Word and Sacrament God works and creates faith in us by His Spirit. This is why St. Paul writes in Romans 10:17 that "faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ". This is why Paul writes in Ephesians 2:8-9 "For it is by grace that you are saved, through faith, and this is not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not of works, so that no one may boast."

God freely gives Himself to us, His mercy and love and goodness is right here in His word, right here in His Sacraments. It's not mere religious ritual or just stuff we do to look religious; God Himself is right here in our midst powerful and active.

God doesn't need you to be good enough. What God wants is to love you and tell you that you are already loved, you are forgiven of all your sins.

Hear these words again: You are forgiven of all your sins. You are forgiven. It is God Himself who says this. Where does He say this? He says this in the very pierced flesh and shed blood of His Son who bore the cross for you. For you. Yes, for you. That's the Gospel.

Hear the word and believe it. For it is most certainly true.

When, in light of this, you go out and interact with other people, remember God's love for you and the grace and mercy He has for you. In that, imitate Him and love your neighbor. When you fall short, keep hearing the Gospel: You are forgiven. You are forgiven, so when you fall you are not destroyed; in God's mercy you can get up again and go back out there and love others.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ADMIN HAT ON

This thread is now closed. Please note the Statement of Purpose for this particular sub-forum states:
Only non-Christians may start threads here, and only orthodox Christians may reply to your thread. Christians (orthodox and unorthodox) may not start threads here.

ADMIN HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.