Am I not good enough to be a Christian?

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,292.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what about the reasoning of others?

we are all bound or freed from the law of our mind ...

consider the two seeds our mind is seeded with, one from within (seed of the women) and one from without (seed of a serpent)

Upvote 0

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
our own reasoning brings us to the side of a bottomless pit ...
I meant to quote you instead. Reasoning as well, is what keeps one knowing they are standing on the edge of a cliff, or perhaps, why one is there in the first place.

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I meant to quote you instead. Reasoning as well, is what keeps one knowing they are standing on the edge of a cliff, or perhaps, why one is there in the first place.

Here's what I think, reading through these posts, and the posts you made yesterday, I think it was. I think you're probably highly creative, and you have a perception that you shouldn't be or can't be in Christianity. That you have to somehow be linear or have all the answers figured out to be Christian.

That is not so. I too am a pretty creative person, in a creative field. We generally like questions better than answers. Is that fair enough?

For now, just answer this: Who is God to you? Who is Jesus Christ? If you have that answered, and solidly, you can be Christian. You have to come to some other pretty solid answers in time; but on other questions, no. I consider myself a Bible-believing Christian, and even there pretty Scriptural. But it would probably surprise some people even in my church the things I'm able to hold "loosely" in my hands, right? I don't need the answers. I'm more intrigued by the questions.

I've leave you with one of my very favorite non-Biblical quotes about Christianity from G.K. Chesterton:
“The poet only asks to get his head into the heavens. It is the logician who seeks to get the heavens into his head. And it is his head that splits.”

• Winner
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

yes of course this is true ... understanding that knowledge comes from the reasoning between two opposites, as in a comparison ...

Upvote 0

Liza B.

His grace is sufficient
Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2017
Midwest
✟163,572.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
I don't honestly know if I am good enough, I don't know if it is becaue of how I have been socially conditoned, but sometimes I feel it is hard for me to, be peaceful. I think I, but the world has made me cynical, jaded at such notions and I even brought out a dark side to me I never knew existed, or I have experienced dark things in the world that has weighed on my soul and perhaps stolen my innocence and I do not know if it's me or the world sometimes. Another thing too, living a life on the sidelines is difficult for me sometimes and expecting to turn the other cheek. I confess, I wonder if I am truly a gentile at times as well, in however way that was concieved.

I feel guilty because after spending lots of time studying and searching for answers, I found myself experiencing at best I would "illumination" and I see how much of, the bible is actually true and it makes sense to me. I generally know what it is about mostly, I think.

I weigh thr bible against things like science or rationality, and even athiesm and I just cannot help thinking that it's actually true. I really have always believed, in God and I see much of rest of the world as lost or even dammed. I find a bit more solace or comfront now in this fact, but it makes me feel sad and backwards. I believe very strongly in God and what the bible stands for.

There's some things though, I think things like sex before marriage is alright and I think it is fine to express oneself or whatever. Well, I think much of the sadness comes from wanting to live a better world at times. Since seeing the "light" I find it almost unbearable at times. I realize I am a broken person looking for shelter I feel, in the "Lord's temple" perhaps?

One more thing.

You cannot "clean yourself up" for Jesus. That defeats the entire purpose, doesn't it? That's not the point. If you could do that, why would He have needed to die? The point is: you accept Jesus and then HE does the cleaning up. YOUR job is to submit to Him, every day, by obeying and being humble and acknowledging Him as your Savior and King and Lord, every day.

Again. You can't "clean yourself up" for Jesus. I mean you can TRY, and that's a very common perception. But I can definitely tell you that you are not good enough for Jesus. I am not good enough for Jesus. Paul was not good enough for Jesus. Neither was Moses, David, Solomon or any of the other "losers" in the Bible. None of us are. Welcome to the club. :) Here is the miracle: He loves you anyway. So much that He died for you, and waits for you to come to Him so that He can make you not only clean, but a freer, better, wonderful version of you.

So....yeah.

Upvote 0

Jonathan Leo

Dec 18, 2017
Cork
✟16,857.00
Country
Ireland
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't honestly know if I am good enough, I don't know if it is becaue of how I have been socially conditoned, but sometimes I feel it is hard for me to, be peaceful. I think I, but the world has made me cynical, jaded at such notions and I even brought out a dark side to me I never knew existed, or I have experienced dark things in the world that has weighed on my soul and perhaps stolen my innocence and I do not know if it's me or the world sometimes. Another thing too, living a life on the sidelines is difficult for me sometimes and expecting to turn the other cheek. I confess, I wonder if I am truly a gentile at times as well, in however way that was concieved.

I feel guilty because after spending lots of time studying and searching for answers, I found myself experiencing at best I would "illumination" and I see how much of, the bible is actually true and it makes sense to me. I generally know what it is about mostly, I think.

I weigh thr bible against things like science or rationality, and even athiesm and I just cannot help thinking that it's actually true. I really have always believed, in God and I see much of rest of the world as lost or even dammed. I find a bit more solace or comfront now in this fact, but it makes me feel sad and backwards. I believe very strongly in God and what the bible stands for.

There's some things though, I think things like sex before marriage is alright and I think it is fine to express oneself or whatever. Well, I think much of the sadness comes from wanting to live a better world at times. Since seeing the "light" I find it almost unbearable at times. I realize I am a broken person looking for shelter I feel, in the "Lord's temple" perhaps?
No, and you never will be good enough to wear a Christian tag.
Romans 3:10
It is Gods wish to give us righteousness if we repent of our sinful ways

Upvote 0

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
we are all bound or freed from the law of our mind ...

consider the two seeds our mind is seeded with, one from within (seed of the women) and one from without (seed of a serpent)
Sorry, technical glitch on my part. Are you somewhat trying to recall the scene wherein Jesus spoke with Lucifer on the cliff? Lol.

Yes, yes indeed.

Upvote 0

BlackSabbath

Dec 31, 2017
Kelowna
✟17,849.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
No, and you never will be good enough to wear a Christian tag.
Romans 3:10
It is Gods wish to give us righteousness if we repent of our sinful ways
Finally, someone has said it.

Unfortunately well, lol is, it so black and white? We don't just have brains, have hearts as well?

Attachments

• 220px-Batoni_sacred_heart.jpg
    220px-Batoni_sacred_heart.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Jonathan Leo
Upvote 0

mozo41

Jun 6, 2017
london
✟50,927.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, technical glitch on my part. Are you somewhat trying to recall the scene wherein Jesus spoke with Lucifer on the cliff? Lol.

Yes, yes indeed.

wow :)

the devil/serpent tried to tempt Jesus to eat of his own reasoning, but as we know Jesus kept the law
"thou shall not eat of it"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Colter

Nov 9, 2004
✟92,791.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

What would be "good enough"? Even Jesus said "why does thou call me good? None is good but God".

Maybe try forgetting yourself, live one day at a time, love and serve others. We are NOT Saints! Jesus said to try to Love others as he Loved. Love others as God loves us. Its a challenge that we will practice at forever.

Join the rest of us m8! We are all just bozos on the bus, Gods kids, trying to grow up like our fantastic pops!

Upvote 0

Sanoy

Apr 27, 2017
America
✟118,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But what about the reasoning of others?
I don't fully understand the question. However I would say the reasoning of others does not bare any weight against Christs promise and offer to us. We are also commanded to Love God with all our heart, mind, soul, and ability. Faith is trust in Gods promise, not belief in His existence. One can through reason come to believe in the existence of God. Former athiest Antony flew became a deist because of science and reason. If we are not using reason we are not following scripture.

Christianity is very different from torah observance. The law was a surrogate to humanity because only the high priest could approach the presence of God. It was written on stone, but for a Christian it is written on our hearts. What is right refers to Gods nature, and it is that which a Christian pursues with great passion. Not to obtain that nature, because that nature belong to God alone. But to be an image of that nature. Our spirits come to recognize Christ and we draw closer and closer into a relationship with him... spirit to spirit. However our bodies remain unchanged until death, always in conflict with us. Until the resurrection we will continue to fall short, but we are Christians because we seek His face and trust in His promise to save us. We want to do what is right, no longer out of obligation and duty, but out of passionate desire, even when we fall short and are overcome by the strength of the flesh.

Romans 7&8 are really gives a good description of these things. Read it slowly though because there is a lot to unpack and think about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GirdYourLoins

Nov 27, 2016
Brighton, UK
✟122,682.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The Bible says believe in your heart and confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and you will be saved. Have you done this?

Upvote 0

Brian Mcnamee

Feb 2, 2017
usa
✟221,465.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

In the Satanic Bible they have a verse that sums up the whole philosophy which is , do what though will is the the whole of the law. You see large portions of scripture are pointing that it is true and you have kept the philosophy of do what though will as your core philosophy. The LORD says no one can serve two masters and he will love one and hate the other. You openly disagree that sex before marriage is wrong and if you really examine your belief you will find your reasons or rationalizations all come form a purely selfish motive. God made man to be partnered with a single mate. And the intimacy of sex has life creating potential and is a bond that is for life between two people committed entirely to each other. What ever view you have has reduced this to some level of self fulfilment and expressing feelings without the life long commitment. Ask yourself if society would be better off if people had a single spouse and raised kids in a loving secure home?

People understand they need a savior but Jesus is Lord too. You will not experience the peace of God without the surrender to God. The scriptures promise if you confess Jesus He will make you a new person in Christ and the old things will pass away. He promises to give you His Spirit to dwell within you and from that point on you are daily dying to the old and walking in the new. You are most of the way their but have not surrendered your heart. If you do the dark desires will flee and the heart of Christ will be planted in you to conform you into a Christlike person.

your life is your choice but here are two contrasting lists of what it is to be either in the flesh or in the Spirit.
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery,[fn] fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, 20 idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, 21 envy, murders,[fn] drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. 24 And those who are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. 25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Its your choice which list you want to live out your life under. You must be born of the Spirit to attain the fruit of the Spirit. i was in your shoes many years ago and do not regret for a second coming to Christ and it is true love joy and peace in Christ are way better then sex drugs and rock n roll.

Upvote 0

TheSeekerOfTruth

Mar 25, 2017
Ontario
✟54,066.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Being "good enough" is not what saves us, it's Jesus Christ who does the saving. None of us will ever be "good enough" to ever get everlasting life because every person on earth is sick with something called sin and Jesus came to make us whole again. To truly believe in Jesus means to give him your life and he'll come into your life as a result. And Jesus will stay if you want him to, he's a good God and cares so much for your soul.

Remember you can always ask God about anything you want, he'll listen and answer your prayer. A little faith is better than no faith, but we all must grow too.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't honestly know if I am good enough

No one is "good enough". If anyone was "good enough" there would be no gospel (good news). God saves by His grace alone, by faith alone, in Jesus Christ alone. No one is good, no not one. [Romans 3:10-12, Ephesians 2:8-10]. If people can be "good" than they have no need of the Savior , Jesus Christ.

in the world that has weighed on my soul and perhaps stolen my innocence

Who told you that you are innocent, or that anyone is innocent? That is not what the Bible teaches.

Romans 3:23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,

I weigh thr bible against things like science or rationality

False dichotomy. The Bible is not anti-science, nor anti-rationality nor are those things mutually exclusive.

I really have always believed, in God

Not what the Bible teaches. No one believes in God from birth. Jesus said you must be born again.

Romans 1:18-20, 3:10-12, John 3]

I think things like sex before marriage is alright

Then you are in disagreement with the Bible and therefore God.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, (10) nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,528.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I don't honestly know if I am good enough

None of us are good enough. Not in comparison to the perfectly holy Creator.

the world has made me cynical, jaded at such notions and I even brought out a dark side to me I never knew existed, or I have experienced dark things in the world that has weighed on my soul and perhaps stolen my innocence

Yes, the world will make us dark and evil, if we let it. And we are already full of sin as it is!

Another thing too, living a life on the sidelines is difficult for me sometimes and expecting to turn the other cheek.

On the "sidelines" of what, exactly?

Turning the other cheek is something God expects us to do in His power, not our own.

I weigh thr bible against things like science or rationality, and even athiesm and I just cannot help thinking that it's actually true.

Well, that's because it is!

I really have always believed, in God and I see much of rest of the world as lost or even dammed.

This is what the Bible says, too.

There's some things though, I think things like sex before marriage is alright and I think it is fine to express oneself or whatever.

God doesn't agree with you. He says so in His word to us, the Bible. He has designed sex only for marriage. Any sexual activity outside marriage is sin and sin always brings death to the sinner.

Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

James 1:14-15
14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.
15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.

So, who has got it right? You or God?

Since seeing the "light" I find it almost unbearable at times. I realize I am a broken person looking for shelter I feel, in the "Lord's temple" perhaps?

You are broken; we all are. But God offers healing to us in Jesus Christ:

Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

Revelation 3:20
20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

Romans 10:9-13
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
11 For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."
12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him.
13 For "whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved."

Upvote 0

2Timothy2:15

Mar 28, 2016
CA
✟78,248.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The bible is true, actually the more that science learns the more it proves it true.

This is long but you should watch this as it provides many of the answers to the questions and trust you put in science along with it's origin.

Trust in Jesus and ask him to show you truth through the Holy Spirit. He will bring the scriptures alive in your heart. None of us, not one, is "good enough" that is what makes Jesus Lord :)

Upvote 0
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Nobody is good enough to be a Christian (see Romans chapter 3), which is an important distinction between Christianity and other religions. In other religions man is reaching out to (working his way to) God, while in Christianity God graciously reaches out to (undeserving) man. In one man initiates, in the other God initiates. In one man does not recognize the depths of his condition, in the other man is brought to the realization of his condition.

Upvote 0

Kristen Davis

Dec 9, 2017
Alpharetta
✟11,497.00
Country
Georgia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well we all make mistakes sometimes but most of how your feeling made indicate you are not yet ready to pursue a relationship with God because you need more time to learn about yourself before submitting to a higher power. If this is what is going on then you need to do so and then you can enter the religion at a latter date in time and feel inclined to wait until marriage to have sex or whatever you plan to do right in the eyes in the lord.

Upvote 0