Am I Evil...

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Because I don't consider a child a little angle, but just another human. Like when having to make discussions involving the life of one child versus two adults, I would pick the adults (assuming average across the field). Like how I consider a child capable of evil just like an adult, just lacking the means to carry it out. Like how I don't consider the life of a child any more special than the life of an adult?

While I have yet to be called evil for this, I when ever I express my view on this, many have reacted as if I spoke some vile demonic stuff. Is it wrong of me to not hold the view that children are little angles who can do no wrong, or who only act evil or selfish because they need things (like a baby needing feeding)?

Just wondering.

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
If I say that I love kids, marry a woman to have a Beanieboy, Jr., dress him like me, force him into sports so that I can live through him, I am considered a great Family Guy, and they will think it cute that I have a Mini Me.

Is that who you are worried about judging you? And if so, why?

Ironically, I was thinking about this same thing. I like kids, but parents use kids a lot. "My child has the sniffles. I better stay home. Beanie will do my work." "It's Christmas Eve, and my turn to stay late, but I have kids, so I should go home first again."
"I'm in a crowded place. Maybe I should bring my SUV stroller that is wide enough for 2 babies. Safety, you know. Everyone should get out of my way."
Signs on cars that read "Baby on Board! The car in front of me doesn't have kids! Ram them instead! Thanks a bunch!"

I feel you.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I think what really makes people turn in their graves, even if they seem much alive typing responses, is when I suggest something bad happening to a kid isn't worse than the same thing happening to someone else. Like murder. Somehow, killing a child doesn't really make a man more evil than killing average Joe with his average life. Then again, maybe the difference is like that of killing coyotes compared to killing dogs (the nice ones, not the mean/deadly ones).

Looking at it from an evolutionary point of view *dodges attacks by YEC's*, maybe it is because I am violating that parenting instinct which leads us to carrying more for young of a our species, regardless of who they belong to, which is probably why killing Kitties and Puppies makes you about as bad as a serial killer in some peoples' eyes. Oh well.

Upvote 0

Beanieboy

Senior Veteran
Jan 20, 2006
✟50,122.00
Faith
Christian
I was scared of the Wicked Witch when I was a kid. Really scared. Now, I get scared, but The Wizard of Oz never makes me afraid.

I think it is that kind of thing. When you are a kid, everything is new, and your emotions really intense. However, as you get older, you have coping mechanisms to deal with it, so while it would be scary, it wouldn't be as scary as if you were a kid.

Do I think that killing a kid is worse than killing an adult? No, but that's because I think that killing an adult is equally awful.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It depends-- personally I myself am certain that children are 90 and 45 degree angles myself. Are they all little angels? Well sure... after all not all angels are here to single carols and bring us happy news.
-------------------------------
In terms of "evil" I don't believe most children are evil, actually don't believe most adults are. I don't believe most children are capable of understanding the full implications of their actions (depending on their developmental stage and the action they seek to complete)
Infants - preschoolers are pretty much acting out in response to actual need, not some conscious attempt to make their parents and everyone else go crazy. As children develop certainly they are capable of choosing to take actions they know they have been taught are not acceptable.

Upvote 0

platzapS

Expanding Mind
Nov 12, 2002
Sunshine State
Visit site
✟5,263.00
Faith
Humanist
I don't think children are capable of the kind of horrific evil adults are capable of, but I would equally say they are incapable of the highest forms of righteousness and love. They just don't have the mental capacity to make decisions or analyze their feelings as well.

I tend to think of babies as somewhat less than full adult people in moral scenarios. They have no aspirations, no profound thoughts, and little experience by which to judge things, so I would much rather have a baby die than an older child or young adult (at least in terms of the people themselves --I would also have to factor in the feelings of the parents of the dead babies).

So no, you're not evil. Children are innocent, but that's because they're ignorant. Adults can be much more.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

Aeris

Feb 1, 2008
✟8,182.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Signs on cars that read "Baby on Board! The car in front of me doesn't have kids! Ram them instead! Thanks a bunch!"
Lol, I had the same thought the other day when I saw a baby on board sign. Since the whole point of driving is to avoid hitting other cars, if a person was driving and hit a car it wouldnt matter if it had a baby on board sign or not because they wouldnt have hit the other car if there was a way to avoid it.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I think you have to be slightly more messed up to kill a child than an adult, because most people, rightly or wrongly, want to protect children from harm. That's all I can say about the matter, though, not believing in either free will or morality. :p I don't believe in evil, so I don't think children can commit it.

I think children are less aware of the consequences of their actions, but they're certainly still capable of reasoning things out. I am also increasingly annoyed by the insistence that they have no sexual feelings before they turn 16 (or whatever the age of consent is where you happen to live).

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
It depends-- personally I myself am certain that children are 90 and 45 degree angles myself. Are they all little angels? Well sure... after all not all angels are here to single carols and bring us happy news.
-------------------------------
In terms of "evil" I don't believe most children are evil, actually don't believe most adults are. I don't believe most children are capable of understanding the full implications of their actions (depending on their developmental stage and the action they seek to complete)
Infants - preschoolers are pretty much acting out in response to actual need, not some conscious attempt to make their parents and everyone else go crazy. As children develop certainly they are capable of choosing to take actions they know they have been taught are not acceptable.

How about selfish then, lacking the social constraints of knowing when to be selfish or not, giving the appearance of evil?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I don't think children are capable of the kind of horrific evil adults are capable of, but I would equally say they are incapable of the highest forms of righteousness and love. They just don't have the mental capacity to make decisions or analyze their feelings as well.

I tend to think of babies as somewhat less than full adult people in moral scenarios. They have no aspirations, no profound thoughts, and little experience by which to judge things, so I would much rather have a baby die than an older child or young adult (at least in terms of the people themselves --I would also have to factor in the feelings of the parents of the dead babies).

So no, you're not evil. Children are innocent, but that's because they're ignorant. Adults can be much more.

I don't know if I agree with that last part. While I will say babies are ignorant, and thus it can be argued innocent, the older children don't fall into that category.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
I think you have to be slightly more messed up to kill a child than an adult, because most people, rightly or wrongly, want to protect children from harm. That's all I can say about the matter, though, not believing in either free will or morality. :p I don't believe in evil, so I don't think children can commit it.

I think children are less aware of the consequences of their actions, but they're certainly still capable of reasoning things out. I am also increasingly annoyed by the insistence that they have no sexual feelings before they turn 16 (or whatever the age of consent is where you happen to live).

That last part made me laugh, since people do think that the hormone clock follows what ever the law of the land is...

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I can think of two reasons crimes against children are considered more heinous than crimes against adults. Firstly, children are less able to defend themselves. And also there is less reason that someone should be provoked to commit a crime against a child than against an adult. Most people would agree that it shows a higher level of cruelty and depravity to victimize a child. (Same would be true for an elderly victim.)

It's true that from a strictly utilitarian viewpoint, children have less worth than adults. Their material value to society as a whole is almost purely potential rather than actual. I've always thought it incredibly silly that anyone would buy life insurance on a child. Very few children have significant earning power on which a family would depend. But few of us follow a strictly utilitarian ethic.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Children have sexual feelings all their lives. The concept of the age of consent doesn't say children don't have sexual feelings until a certain moment in time it says someone over that age shouldn't be exploiting the sexual feelings of those under that age. (and in many states the person who is not a minor has to be a specific number of years older than the minor to be charged)

Upvote 0

wanderingone

Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How about selfish then, lacking the social constraints of knowing when to be selfish or not, giving the appearance of evil?

Selfish is not evil.. it might be a symptom of it ... children are definitely selfish up to a point it's to be expected, after they've reached a developmental point where they understand that others have needs as well selfishness that ignores completely the implications of ones actions could be caused by anything from bad parenting to brain injury, to psychiatric disorders.

I think the actions of people in one stage of development must be evaluated differently than the actions of people in another. I don't believe that generally the 8 year old who attacks someone can be considered the same as the 40 year old who attacks someone.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.