keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟318,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
There are 2 (at least) very different reasons why a culture might feel differently about children than adults. One is they have more life ahead of them. This one varies between cultures. Ours being a very safe culture sees this as important. Other less safe cultures often value adults, at least adults with more 'useful' life ahead of them over children, who may never make it to the point where they contribute to the wellbeing of the tribe or clan.

A second line of thought applies more to those who prey on others. Children are less able to defend themselfs and thus those who prey on them (or the old or otherwise easy targets) are usually even more despized than ordimary criminals.

It looks to me that the OP is differing on the grounds under the first and thus is not what I would call evil.

Upvote 0

KCKID

Jan 12, 2008
Australia
✟4,479.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If I say that I love kids, marry a woman to have a Beanieboy, Jr., dress him like me, force him into sports so that I can live through him, I am considered a great Family Guy, and they will think it cute that I have a Mini Me.

Is that who you are worried about judging you? And if so, why?

Ironically, I was thinking about this same thing. I like kids, but parents use kids a lot. "My child has the sniffles. I better stay home. Beanie will do my work." "It's Christmas Eve, and my turn to stay late, but I have kids, so I should go home first again."
"I'm in a crowded place. Maybe I should bring my SUV stroller that is wide enough for 2 babies. Safety, you know. Everyone should get out of my way."
Signs on cars that read "Baby on Board! The car in front of me doesn't have kids! Ram them instead! Thanks a bunch!"

I feel you.

Good post. 'Child worship' is rampant in this country (Australia). Almost every family that I know has at least one 'junior-god' who is to be 'adored' by every visitor to the home ...even if the child is nothing less than a spoilt brat. The parents of these kids - in a gesture of supposed discipline to impress the visitor if a situation REALLY calls for it - use 'commands' that includes the word 'please'. It usually goes something like, "Please stop swinging the cat around by his tail." Or, "I've already told you a dozen times not to swing the cat around by his tail ...please don't." These type parents are SO polite with disobedient kids. Meanwhile the visitor has mental images of the kid being burned at the stake.

Kids have rights - and don't they know it! - that adults don't have. One particular set of parents that I exempt from the above-mentioned category insisted that their young son participate in certain house-hold chores. One time in anger - he simply didn't want to do the dishes even though it was his turn - he threatened to report his parents to Child Safety Services for child abuse. Not that he would, of course, but he's well aware that children have status and CAN make threats.

Just say the word 'kid' and everyone gets glassy-eyed and produces an automatic 'cow' smile probably accompanied with an 'aahhh.' Or, apparently, they're supposed to. A school teacher friend believes that our obsession with children is creating a generation of selfish tyrants. I like kids - depends on the kid - but the university-trained 'wise ones' that have been responsible for having given children special status beyond that of adults annoys the c--p out of me.

I guess this make me evil too.

Upvote 0

Polycarp_fan

Jun 10, 2008
✟6,323.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Because I don't consider a child a little angle, but just another human. Like when having to make discussions involving the life of one child versus two adults, I would pick the adults (assuming average across the field). Like how I consider a child capable of evil just like an adult, just lacking the means to carry it out. Like how I don't consider the life of a child any more special than the life of an adult?

While I have yet to be called evil for this, I when ever I express my view on this, many have reacted as if I spoke some vile demonic stuff. Is it wrong of me to not hold the view that children are little angles who can do no wrong, or who only act evil or selfish because they need things (like a baby needing feeding)?

Just wondering.

Like when having to make discussions involving the life of one child versus two adults, I would pick the adults (assuming average across the field).

What do you mean by that? "Involving the life." What are your plans for this life?

Look the child in the eyes as you are making the choice between him or her and his or her parents, that do not care about their own child.

I think what you have written in (what is hopefully) this hypothetical situation, could very well be classified as evil, but it depends on what you mean by "involving the life," of the child. If you mean taking the child to two adults that care about him or her, then it is not such a bad choice, seeing that the parents of this child don't seem to care about him or her.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Children have sexual feelings all their lives. The concept of the age of consent doesn't say children don't have sexual feelings until a certain moment in time it says someone over that age shouldn't be exploiting the sexual feelings of those under that age. (and in many states the person who is not a minor has to be a specific number of years older than the minor to be charged)

I know what the legal concept means. My post was not one about the age of consent, but about people's attitudes to child sexuality. People are frequently horrified by the portrayal of teen and child sexuality in various media, despite the fact that those feelings and experiences not only exist, but are actually pretty normal and common. The fuss over Alan Moore's graphic novel Lost Girls, which features sexual awakening stories of girls who are between fourteen and sixteen years old (recounted when they are adults), demonstrates that people are unwilling to admit both that young people have sexual feelings, and that older people often unwittingly find themselves attracted to underaged people. People have a fantasy of childhood innocence that is mostly unfounded.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
What do you mean by that? "Involving the life." What are your plans for this life?

Look the child in the eyes as you are making the choice between him or her and his or her parents, that do not care about their own child.

I think what you have written in (what is hopefully) this hypothetical situation, could very well be classified as evil, but it depends on what you mean by "involving the life," of the child. If you mean taking the child to two adults that care about him or her, then it is not such a bad choice, seeing that the parents of this child don't seem to care about him or her.

I was talking about 3 people I knew nothing about, and which I would be safe in assuming knew nothing about each other. Often times parents will sacrifice themselves for their child, but in this, a few things need to be considered. What if their child has a history of abusing, torturing, and killing animals? What if their child is going to die soon anyways? What if... You see, it brings in too many what if's to talk about certain cases, and as such, I was generalizing.

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Biology makes parents willing to sacrifice themselves for their children.

And just imagine how it would feel to let your child die rather than yourself. I don't think people do it on the basis of how nice their children are.

Upvote 0

Rimbaud

Atheist
Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
✟15,212.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wouldn't say that makes you evil. Your view seems rather reasonable to me, however I would go a step further perhaps in saying children are more like adults one many levels (especially the adolescents) then we are willing to admit. I have often found (not being far removed from childhood myself) that our understanding of what a "child" constitutes is rather lacking and inaccurate. This social construct seems to be mostly artificially created like most others.

Upvote 0

estadalamoo

Bringing fire down from heaven since 1973.
Jun 1, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
✟222.00
Because I don't consider a child a little angle, but just another human. Like when having to make discussions involving the life of one child versus two adults, I would pick the adults (assuming average across the field). Like how I consider a child capable of evil just like an adult, just lacking the means to carry it out. Like how I don't consider the life of a child any more special than the life of an adult?

While I have yet to be called evil for this, I when ever I express my view on this, many have reacted as if I spoke some vile demonic stuff. Is it wrong of me to not hold the view that children are little angles who can do no wrong, or who only act evil or selfish because they need things (like a baby needing feeding)?

Just wondering.
I would say they are less likely to do wrong untill they stop learning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JustHisKid

Jun 12, 2015
✟2,859.00
Faith
Christian

Just wondering.

I think people begin to display their sin nature very early in life, right around two years old, probably.

Upvote 0