Not open for further replies.

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I didn't expect anything to be unveiled other than what you're trying to hide. I asked you if you think a person has to quit his job and get rid of all possessions in order to be a Christian. The reply doesn't require anything but a simple "Yes" or "No". If you don't believe me, read what Christ said: ""But let your statement be, 'Yes, yes ' or 'No, no'; anything beyond these is of evil." Matthew 5:37

Now, let's see you do that.

The answer isn't simple. Jesus did comment that what is impossible with men is possible with God. Let's see YOU explain that.

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are idol worshipping Caleb. You are putting him on a shelf and you are rejecting the Spirit of God that saves you, and instead trying to receive the spirit of a dead man.

Almost every false doctrines today are centered on one verse from the Old Testament taken out of context, and that is what has deceived you.

When we receive the born-again nature in Christ, that is His nature we receive. Jesus was perfectly obedient to His Father. And when we surrender to Him, we also become obedient in our new natures. We don't need the spirit of Caleb or anything else. We have JESUS! And we have everything we need in Him, given to us for free from the moment we are saved.
Wow! This post should receive a prize for wrong applying of buzz words!

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I would like to learn just one thing from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?a]'>[a] 4 Have you experiencedb]'>[b] so much in vain – if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? Gal3:2-5

Works of the law, is observing the law. Observing the law is not committing sin, for sin is the transgression of the law.
So it could be written as: Did you receive the Spirit because you strove not to commit sin?
Did you receive the Spirit because you strove to live a holy life?

You receive the Spirit by believing what you heard. Any Christian is entitled to the Spirit, as received in Acts, because they have repented and asked Christ to be their Lord and saviour. That's it!
Cornelius ands his household did not speak in tongues because they firstly forsook mammon, or strove to live a holy life. They received the spirit by believing what they heard!

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The answer isn't simple. Jesus did comment that what is impossible with men is possible with God. Let's see YOU explain that.

Then let me try simplifying it further for you:
Wordkeeper, do you have a job?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to learn just one thing from you: did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning by means of the Spirit, are you now trying to finish by means of the flesh?a]'>[a] 4 Have you experiencedb]'>[b] so much in vain – if it really was in vain? 5 So again I ask, does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you by the works of the law, or by your believing what you heard? Gal3:2-5

Works of the law, is observing the law. Observing the law is not committing sin, for sin is the transgression of the law.
So it could be written as: Did you receive the Spirit because you strove not to commit sin?
Did you receive the Spirit because you strove to live a holy life?

You receive the Spirit by believing what you heard. Any Christian is entitled to the Spirit, as received in Acts, because they have repented and asked Christ to be their Lord and saviour. That's it!
Cornelius ands his household did not speak in tongues because they firstly forsook mammon, or strove to live a holy life. They received the spirit by believing what they heard!
They'll never drink from the Rock, see God demonstrate His ability to save, be encouraged, unless they get baptised.

I'm going to the office for work. See you peeps shortly.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I do. And I asked God to separate me from it. Simple enough?

Whew! It sure took a lot to get you to answer that question, so I'm not sure how much energy I have left to get you to answer anything else, but I'll give it a try.

Did you quit your job or were you fired?
EDIT: Wait, you said you "do". Does that mean you still have it, or have you been separated from it? If you've asked God to be separated from it, are you hoping to get fired? What are you doing to make that happen?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
They'll never drink from the Rock, see God demonstrate His ability to save, be encouraged, unless they get baptised.
The text is plainly written, and Cornelius and his household is a great example of what was needed to speak in tongues/evidence of a gift of the Spirit

Upvote 0

johnnywong

Sep 25, 2018
Auckland
✟32,912.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've accepted Jesus as my Savior and Lord, that only by faith through grace I'm saved.
I've confessed my faith in Christianity, to 1 or 2 people (in person), many more online.
I've repented from all sins.
I read the scriptures daily and pray without ceasing.

I have not been baptized by water.

Am I born again?
You have to be dead ,before you can be born again . Have you come to your death of "old me " yet ?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You have to be dead ,before you can be born again . Have you come to your death of "old me " yet ?

I think we're spiritually dead from the beginning

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ing Bee

Son of Encouragement
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2018
East Bay
✟78,793.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello friend-

Here is the Word of God:

In John 1:12-13, the writer says
"all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God."

In John 3, Jesus talks about the New Birth - of the Spirit. The Spirit, he says, is like the wind, blowing wherever it wishes and drawing people to life.

In John 6, Jesus says that no once comes to him unless the Father draws them. Here also he says what is necessary to be doing the works of God that produce eternal life: to believe in the One the Father sent.

In John 10 Jesus says that his sheep hear his voice and they come when he calls.

In John 16, Jesus says that the Holy Spirit is going throughout the world convicting people of sin, righteousness and judgement in preparation to hear the good news.

In John 20, John says that everything he has written was for one purpose: that those who read it would believe that Jesus is the Son of God, and that personal trust in the identity (the Word who became flesh, the Only Son from the Father) and victory on the cross, and that "by believing you may have life in His Name."

In 1st John 5:12, John writes that if you "have the Son you have life, if you don't have the Son of God, you don't have life".

Hebrews 8:8-12 quotes from Jeremiah 31 regarding the New Covenant. Jesus says that the New Covenant is enacted by his shed blood on the cross. Luke uses this language in his description of the Last Supper in regard to the cup, a concept which he likely drew from Paul who write what he had received from the Lord in 1 Corinthians 11:25.

It is personal, relational trust in what the Father has done for you in the life, death and resurrection of the Son that is the basis for your new inheritance. Listen to Paul in Ephesians 1:13-14
"And you also were included in Christ when you heard the message of truth, the gospel of your salvation. When you believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God’s possession—to the praise of his glory."
There is no mention there of baptism; instead Paul echoes the persistent language of personal trust "faith/belief" in the only provision for sin and eternal life.

As for the quotes from Paul regarding "being baptized into Christ", the word "baptizo" means immersed. In Galatians 3:27 and in Romans 6, Paul closely ties "immersion" not to water, but with the perfect sinlessness of Jesus himself. This is why He can write in Ephesians that we are [currently] seated with Christ in the Heavenlies.

In Romans 8:9 Paul reiterates his letter to the Ephesians, it is the Holy Spirit that Connects us to Jesus, God IN us connects us to the life of God. Peter says as much in 2 Peter 1:3.

Don't get bogged down with proof-texts (short passages of scripture that seem to say one thing or another); instead look at the "big picture" of the good news about Jesus the King: "For God [the Father] so loved the world, that He gave His unique Son, that whoever believes in [the Son] will not perish but have eternal life." (John 3:16.) God wants to adopt us into his family, that's what our Christian hope is. Jesus's blood is enough, his blood is your baptism, just as the blood of the lamb in Exodus covered the doors of the Jewish slaves in Egypt to save them from death; just as the blood of the lambs slaughter on Yom Kippur (the day of atonement) covered the sins of the nation, so Jesus's blood "takes away the sins of the world."

There is nothing magical about water baptism; listen to Peter in 1 Peter 3:21:

" and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also—not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a clear conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,"
But Peter identifies where the power comes from "The Resurrection of Jesus Christ" whose blood gives us a "clear conscience before God". It's the personal immersion into the death and resurrection through faith that saves us.

Concerning Abraham, he was brought into the Covenant with God, not by circumcision, which came after the promise and Abraham's personal, relational trust [faith] in Yahweh. That is the very point Paul makes in Romans 4:11.

A final encouragement, here's Paul again in Romans 5:1-5, this is the love of the Trinity for you-
Therefore, since we have been [past tense] justified through faith, we have [past tense again] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not put us to shame, because God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been [past tense] given to us.

By the way, I hope you are connected to a church family that can help you grow in this new life you have received. If so, there's nothing stopping you from being baptized as a "pledge of clear conscience toward God". You could also translate that, a loyalty pledge to your new King!

May the Grace of God in Christ through the Holy Spirit grant you peace and hope-

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Because we are in Christ and Christ is in us.
So as Christians can be one AS Father and son are one, what dos that tell us?

My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sen)t me. 22 I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as(AS)we are one – 23 I in them and you in me – so that they may be brought to complete unity. John17:20-23

Christians are in Father and Son and they in Christians through the Holy Spirit who dwells in them.
''Just as you are in me and I am in in you may they also be in us''
Christians can only come to complete unity through the Holy Spirit who dwells in them. Of one heart and one mind through the Spirit who leads believers into spiritual truth. Christians can be one in the Spirit. That is how believers can be one.
''That they may be one as we are one''
Then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. phil2:2

However, I don't think you are willing to accept it, so I will leave it there.
But it does explain John10:30 which was your original point

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whew! It sure took a lot to get you to answer that question, so I'm not sure how much energy I have left to get you to answer anything else, but I'll give it a try.

Did you quit your job or were you fired?
EDIT: Wait, you said you "do". Does that mean you still have it, or have you been separated from it? If you've asked God to be separated from it, are you hoping to get fired? What are you doing to make that happen?
I do have a job. I have prayed to be separated from all worldly wealth.

James 1:9Believers in humble circumstances ought to take pride in their high position. 10But the rich should take pride in their humiliation—since they will pass away like a wild flower.11For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich will fade away even while they go about their business.

Brrrr!

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The text is plainly written, and Cornelius and his household is a great example of what was needed to speak in tongues/evidence of a gift of the Spirit
This is how baptism leads to God showing His great works to save :

Exodus 17:1Then all the congregation of the sons of Israel journeyed by stages from the wilderness of Sin, according to the command of the LORD, and camped at Rephidim, and there was no water for the people to drink. 2Therefore the people quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water that we may drink.” And Moses said to them, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the LORD?” 3But the people thirsted there for water; and they grumbled against Moses and said, “Why, now, have you brought us up from Egypt, to kill us and our children and our livestock with thirst?” 4So Moses cried out to the LORD, saying, “What shall I do to this people? A little more and they will stone me.”5Then the LORD said to Moses, “Pass before the people and take with you some of the elders of Israel; and take in your hand your staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6“Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb; and you shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.” And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7He named the place Massah and Meribah because of the quarrel of the sons of Israel, and because they tested the LORD, saying, “Is the LORD among us, or not?”

Why did the Israelites complain? Because in Egypt Pharaoh was in danger, but in the wilderness, Israel was in danger. This was how Israel was to live, by picking up a cross and being resurrected, saved, so that the nations around her would see God's great works and follow Him. Even observing Law was picking up a cross, because if you read it, you will see it required lots of hardship and sacrifice. If you wanted to become rich and thrive, it was not the way, it was counterintuitive. Yet if they followed it, God would bless Israel and she would be an example to the nations, a light to the Gentiles. Pick up a cross, be loving, and be resurrected. Only God could have done it, and He seems to approve this Way.

We know that only Caleb remembered God's great works and became VERY loyal, what the text calls "born again" . He had a different mindset. We should also get baptized to see God's great work and be like Caleb and Joshua and JOSHUA.

Matthew 3:13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”15Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Matthew 4:1Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORDTHAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.’”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
I do have a job. I have prayed to be separated from all worldly wealth.
I earnestly believe 100% that God will not honor that request, since it is not His will that you end up poor. He has promised that He will provide for us, and we have to accept that provision which usually comes from a job. His will is that you give generously, so start giving! Romans 12:8, 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 It would be much better for you to ask Him to give you wisdom about what to do with the money. Don't be stubborn about this, or think that giving up your job will lead to salvation or grant you favor with God. It won't! Giving up all self-righteousness, pride and self-will, that will lead to salvation, or rather it is the fruit of the Holy Spirit's work in you, which proves that you are already saved if you are. Stop trying to quit your job, instead use the money to help the poor! Once again, read Isaiah 58, and do it carefully. It reveals the heart of God. His will is that you honor others above yourself, but your choice to give up your job is self-centered, believing that it will earn you something that God has already provided us as a free gift through His Blood and the Holy Spirit. Freely you've received, so freely give! Start giving!

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I earnestly believe 100% that God will not honor that request, since it is not His will that you end up poor. He has promised that He will provide for us, and we have to accept that provision which usually comes from a job. His will is that you give generously, so start giving! Romans 12:8, 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 It would be much better for you to ask Him to give you wisdom about what to do with the money. Don't be stubborn about this, or think that giving up your job will lead to salvation or grant you favor with God. It won't! Giving up all self-righteousness, pride and self-will, that will lead to salvation, or rather it is the fruit of the Holy Spirit's work in you, which proves that you are already saved if you are. Stop trying to quit your job, instead use the money to help the poor! Once again, read Isaiah 58, and do it carefully. It reveals the heart of God. His will is that you honor others above yourself, but your choice to give up your job is self-centered, believing that it will earn you something that God has already provided us as a free gift through His Blood and the Holy Spirit. Freely you've received, so freely give! Start giving!
Don't get hung up on what you have been taught. Study for yourself:

Matthew 6:24"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Matthew 19:16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’ c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ d

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

28Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife e or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
This is how baptism leads to God showing His great works to save :

Exodus 17:1Then all the congregation of the sons of Israel journeyed by stages from the wilderness of Sin, according to the command of the LORD, and camped at Rephidim, and there was no water for the people to drink. 2Therefore the people quarreled with Moses and said, “Give us water that we may drink.” And Moses said to them, “Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the LORD?” 3But the people thirsted there for water; and they grumbled against Moses and said, “Why, now, have you brought us up from Egypt, to kill us and our children and our livestock with thirst?” 4So Moses cried out to the LORD, saying, “What shall I do to this people? A little more and they will stone me.”5Then the LORD said to Moses, “Pass before the people and take with you some of the elders of Israel; and take in your hand your staff with which you struck the Nile, and go. 6“Behold, I will stand before you there on the rock at Horeb; and you shall strike the rock, and water will come out of it, that the people may drink.” And Moses did so in the sight of the elders of Israel. 7He named the place Massah and Meribah because of the quarrel of the sons of Israel, and because they tested the LORD, saying, “Is the LORD among us, or not?”

Why did the Israelites complain? Because in Egypt Pharaoh was in danger, but in the wilderness, Israel was in danger. This was how Israel was to live, by picking up a cross and being resurrected, saved, so that the nations around her would see God's great works and follow Him. Even observing Law was picking up a cross, because if you read it, you will see it required lots of hardship and sacrifice. If you wanted to become rich and thrive, it was not the way, it was counterintuitive. Yet if they followed it, God would bless Israel and she would be an example to the nations, a light to the Gentiles. Pick up a cross, be loving, and be resurrected. Only God could have done it, and He seems to approve this Way.

We know that only Caleb remembered God's great works and became VERY loyal, what the text calls "born again" . He had a different mindset. We should also get baptized to see God's great work and be like Caleb and Joshua and JOSHUA.

Matthew 3:13Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to be baptized by John. 14But John tried to deter him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”15Jesus replied, “Let it be so now; it is proper for us to do this to fulfill all righteousness.” Then John consented.16As soon as Jesus was baptized, he went up out of the water. At that moment heaven was opened, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting on him. 17And a voice from heaven said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”

Matthew 4:1Then Jesus was led up by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted by the devil. 2And after He had fasted forty days and forty nights, He then became hungry. 3And the tempter came and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, command that these stones become bread.” 4But He answered and said, “It is written, ‘MAN SHALL NOT LIVE ON BREAD ALONE, BUT ON EVERY WORDTHAT PROCEEDS OUT OF THE MOUTH OF GOD.’”
Ignored what I wrote eh, just deflected.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Don't get hung up on what you have been taught. Study for yourself:

Matthew 6:24"No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and wealth.

Matthew 19:16Just then a man came up to Jesus and asked, “Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?”

17“Why do you ask me about what is good?” Jesus replied. “There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, keep the commandments.”

18“Which ones?” he inquired.

Jesus replied, “ ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,’ c and ‘love your neighbor as yourself.’ d

20“All these I have kept,” the young man said. “What do I still lack?”

21Jesus answered, “If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”

22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

23Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Truly I tell you, it is hard for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of heaven. 24Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for someone who is rich to enter the kingdom of God.”

25When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, “Who then can be saved?”

26Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”

27Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

28Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 29And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife e or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life.
I won't ignore what I have been taught, because it was the Holy Spirit that taught me. You should listen to Him!

• Agree
Reactions: Karola
Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I won't ignore what I have been taught, because it was the Holy Spirit that taught me. You should listen to Him!
One way to know if people have the wrong kind of trinity, is, when they write long posts, mainly just quoting the letter of scripture. You don’t need the Holy Spirit to quote the letter, you need him to correctly understand what the letter states

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.