Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
There is quoting the cherry picked letter and reasoning whatever you want from it.

However, we have many examples in Acts of those who experienced the Holy Spirit in their lives, with evidence of it. They did not firstly give up mammon, or strive for holiness, they did not have time to do any of that!! Cornelius and his household for example believed what they heard , and they were instantly filled with the Spirit, as the disciples were at pentecost

Reactions: Emli
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ignored what I wrote eh, just deflected.
I agree, you don't need baptism to receive the Holy Spirit. You need baptism to see the Way. God wants us to pick up a cross, so that He can resurrect us, so that unbelievers can see this is what God wants for us to do: lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.

Just as when I lay down my life by opening a very puzzling mystery of God, and get persecuted, and then God supports my explanation!

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I won't ignore what I have been taught, because it was the Holy Spirit that taught me. You should listen to Him!
When God said He liked the spirit of Caleb, He meant He liked the fierce loyalty of Caleb, the confidence that God was with him, and could take him into Rest.

Put that into your pipe, and smoke it.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Put that into your pipe, and smoke it.
I have assumed that is where you get your ideas from during this entire conversation.

As for me, God breathed His Spirit on me. He gives me a sound and sober mind, able to understand Scripture. You should try that!

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have assumed that is where you get your ideas from during this entire conversation.

As for me, God breathed His Spirit on me. He gives me a sound and sober mind, able to understand Scripture. You should try that!
Lets test that.

What is the tower?

Luke 14:28“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Lets test that.

What is the tower?

Luke 14:28“Suppose one of you wants to build a tower. Won’t you first sit down and estimate the cost to see if you have enough money to complete it? 29For if you lay the foundation and are not able to finish it, everyone who sees it will ridicule you, 30saying, ‘This person began to build and wasn’t able to finish.’
Why are you so hung up on a few Bible verses, yet ignoring every other word that God has spoken?

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Which question have I ignored?
Probably about 30-40 different questions, and an equal amount of sound reasoning and Bible verses. You could go back, read all of the posts (by me and the other posters), read the verses and the chapters they come from, compare them to other verses and chapters, then pray and ask God to lead you into all Truth, then get the drugs out of your system so you can have a sober mind, then give a proper response that does not include the words "Caleb" or "tower" or "giving up all material possessions". Once you have done this, the conversation can continue.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Probably about 30-40 different questions, and an equal amount of sound reasoning and Bible verses. You could go back, read all of the posts (by me and the other posters), read the verses and the chapters they come from, compare them to other verses and chapters, then pray and ask God to lead you into all Truth, then get the drugs out of your system so you can have a sober mind, then give a proper response that does not include the words "Caleb" or "tower" or "giving up all material possessions". Once you have done this, the conversation can continue.
Which question have I ignored? It's so telling you cant name even one.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Which question have I ignored? It's so telling you cant name even one.
Why don't you start by answering these two questions:

Why are you so hung up on a few Bible verses, yet ignoring every other word that God has spoken?
Why are you rejecting 95% of God's Word?

And after you have answered those, go back and read my and the others' posts, and respond to what we have posted to you. Or is there a reason to why you are refusing? (Yes, that is another question you should answer)

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why don't you start by answering these two questions:

And after you have answered those, go back and read my and the others' posts, and respond to what we have posted to you. Or is there a reason to why you are refusing? (Yes, that is another question you should answer)

Who said we have to take the whole Bible to explain one topic?

Because the way you put it together is 100% wrong.

Upvote 0

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Who said we have to take the whole Bible to explain one topic?

Because the way you put it together is 100% wrong.
"Who said we have to take the whole Bible to explain one topic?"

Because the topic is the most important topic of Scripture: our salvation!

The entire Bible is there to point us to Jesus. Because in Him and only in Him is our salvation.

"Because the way you put it together is 100% wrong."

I gave you verses. Is God's Word wrong?

Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Who said we have to take the whole Bible to explain one topic?"

The entire Bible is there to point us to Jesus. Because in Him and only in Him is our salvation.

"Because the way you put it together is 100% wrong."

Wrong. The topic here is what "born again" means. It means not having the disbelief of Israel, but changing to the belief of Caleb.

Its called "pearl stringing, cherry picking", taking verses out of context and patching them together to form a theory.

Cherry picking - Wikipedia

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position. It is a kind of fallacy of selective attention, the most common example of which is the confirmation bias.[1][2] Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally. This fallacy is a major problem in public debate.[3]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Emli

Growing daughter of God
Site Supporter
Mar 2, 2017
Sweden
✟208,889.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Wrong. The topic here is what "born again" means. It means not having the disbelief of Israel, but changing to the belief of Caleb.

Its called "pearl stringing, cherry picking", taking verses out of context and patching them together to form a theory.

Cherry picking - Wikipedia

Cherry picking, suppressing evidence, or the fallacy of incomplete evidence is the act of pointing to individual cases or data that seem to confirm a particular position while ignoring a significant portion of related cases or data that may contradict that position. It is a kind of fallacy of selective attention, the most common example of which is the confirmation bias.[1][2] Cherry picking may be committed intentionally or unintentionally. This fallacy is a major problem in public debate.[3]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :confused:
Just read your own post!!! I'm done.

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I agree, you don't need baptism to receive the Holy Spirit. You need baptism to see the Way. God wants us to pick up a cross, so that He can resurrect us, so that unbelievers can see this is what God wants for us to do: lay down our lives for our brothers and sisters.

Just as when I lay down my life by opening a very puzzling mystery of God, and get persecuted, and then God supports my explanation!
I see, so to receive the Holy Spirit as the disciples received at Pentecost does not bring us to see the way. It is a sideshow as it were to the main event. Very interesting.
I know you believe you are revealing to the rest of us a very puzzling mystery of God. Many believe they do, on the internet. But my advice would be, to get back to basics. If you build on the wrong foundation, the house will not survive, you just go off at tangents from the true way.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Water baptism is like those cell phone forms. If you get water baptised into "water" you escape wrath. If you get water baptised into "fire and the Holy Spirit" (these are descriptors, labels, of the covenants John the Baptist used) you enter Rest. Of course, these covenants, like all contracts, have terms and conditions, producing fruit in keeping with repentance being one, remembering God's great works being another (having the spirit of Caleb). All these together saves a person.

Why delay baptism into "fire and the Holy Spirit"?
If the Holy dwells in a person, they are in a saved state, and as you have acknowledged, in the book of Acts, when people believed the message they were immediately indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and therefore in a saved state

• Agree
Upvote 0

Wordkeeper

Oct 1, 2013
✟91,080.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If the Holy dwells in a person, they are in a saved state, and as you have acknowledged, in the book of Acts, when people believed the message they were immediately indwelt by the Holy Spirit, and therefore in a saved state
1 Samuel 19:23So Saul went to Naioth in Ramah. But the Spirit of God came upon even Saul, and he walked along prophesying until he came to Naioth in Ramah. 24Then Saul stripped off his robes and also prophesied before Samuel. And he collapsed and lay naked all that day andnight. That is why it is said, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”

Upvote 0

Karola

Oct 7, 2018
Munich
✟12,045.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
1 Samuel 19:23So Saul went to Naioth in Ramah. But the Spirit of God came upon even Saul, and he walked along prophesying until he came to Naioth in Ramah. 24Then Saul stripped off his robes and also prophesied before Samuel. And he collapsed and lay naked all that day andnight. That is why it is said, “Is Saul also among the prophets?”
Please address the point in posts if you are going to respond to them
In your view, if anyone has the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and speaks in tongues, does this prove they are in a saved state?
Or, can the unsaved receive the Holy Spirit as the disciples did at Pentecost and speak in tongues?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.