New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Every time we visit a cafe I really enjoy it and I remember how much Mum and Dad loved going out and having morning tea together. Now that we no longer have Mum with us, Dad doesn't go and sit down in cafes by himself, though he does pop into one occasionally and buy something to take home for later.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,587.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Family occasions are lovely.:) It must mean so much to your father that you go out with him when you visit, now that he no longer has your mother. Is it long since you lost your mother, js?

I remember my parents visiting me at college, not long before Mum died as it turns out. We used to have lunch at a lovely café, and get a 3-course meal for 7'6! Shows how long ago it was! :D (For those in the USA I think that would be about 50 cents.) These sorts of memories as so precious.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Golden memories indeed, Sue. :)

It's about seven years since Mum left us, Sue. It doesn't feel anywhere near that long.

I still remember prices from way back, like a loaf of uncut bread for a shilling and a pint of milk (in a recyclable glass bottle, rather than today's plastic one) for 4d.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,587.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
How prices have risen! :eek: My childhood's measure of the value of money was Rowntree's Fruit Gums, which were 3d per packet. So I judged a shilling, being worth 4 packs, as reasonable wealth! :D

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I told my children, when they were young, that I could buy 4 lollies like wine gums or spearmint leaves for 1 cent when I was a kid. When they were the same age as I was way back when, lollies had risen in cost to 5 cents each. They couldn't believe I was able to buy 20 lollies for 5 cents. :D Then they would goggle in disbelief when I reminded them that my weekend job a few years later, while at university, paid only about 21 dollars total per weekend. :eek: :D

Upvote 0

faithinlife

Feb 18, 2009
USA
✟186,480.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Just over a few years or months food prices can change, sometimes higher, other times, lowered. Some foods when there is more abundance can have prices lowered. When some vegetables or fruit crops have been damaged and there is a shortage, the food prices can go higher. A lot of the foods have had good sale prices this summer.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,587.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Know what you mean. :)

I wonder how the supermarkets are going to survive sometimes with fierce competition. Do you have "price match" in your countries (where a supermarket will refund the difference in price if you can find it cheaper in another supermarket)?

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Looking at the circulars dropped in the letter box from various stores shows how much difference there can be in the cost of various goods here, but I can only think of one store - a big hardware chain - that offers the price match buzz, Sue. So we just have to be canny in our purchases.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,587.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Maybe it's just the UK then. It's good for us consumers, of course, but I wonder what will be the long-term effect on the supermarkets themselves.

Being older has its advantages. :D One of our hardware chain-stores offers 10% discount to over-60s on a certain day, and an optician a 25% discount on glasses. :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NZ has a gold card for over 65's, which offers discounts or free travel on local buses and discounts on this and that. When Dad took me to a restaurant for tea on a recent visit, he was able to get a discount on the cost of his meal courtesy of the card.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Prices vary from supermarket to supermarket here. I tend to shop at the one supermarket which others say is not the cheapest one but which has the best customer service, in my opinion. It has enough weekly specials to make shopping there worth our time and money too.

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Quite a few restaurants here offer discounts to 50+, but I can't think of any stores that do...maybe I've been shopping in the wrong places.
There are a couple of stores who offer 10% for military and veterans though, so I take advantage of that (when I remember).

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Remembering that these little discounts are available helps with the ol' cash flow, but I forget about stuff too, Kevin. We have a loyalty card programme here which you utilise when purchasing petrol for your car. But if the attendant didn't ask me if I have the card, I would almost always forget about it. :D

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Saddest part of getting older (for me) is my memory isn't as sharp as what it used to be. Forgetting little things like that can be frustrating.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's true, Kevin. Discounts add up over time, eh? I don't chase the discounts, but have managed to get my grandchildren a little gift each over time, using the points gathered.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟130,041.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Under the stress and duress of the infirmities of the aged, we of the Golden Eagles soar gracefully, with dignity and respect thru the winter months of our era. We are the baby boomers. Proud of our many accomplishments of those many years. Yes.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Under the stress and duress of the infirmities of the aged, we of the Golden Eagles soar gracefully, with dignity and respect thru the winter months of our era. We are the baby boomers. Proud of our many accomplishments of those many years. Yes.

Very good to see you here in GE again, MW. :) You've been missed.

Upvote 0