✟10,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I LOVE ALPHA !!!

It was by attending an Alpha Course at my college which brought me to salvation and to know the love of Jesus. Alpha was the BEST thing I ever did!! :clap:

Doing it was miles more important than doing my degree course, and yet Alpha won't cause me to be in debt for thousands of pounds. lol :D

Its strange because I never seriously intended to become a Christian when I did it. I did it because I had seen a similar course on television a few years before and I was attracted to its laid-back, friendly approach. I had always wanted to give it a try just as I wanted to give Buddhist meditation a try.

Anyhow I decided to do this Alpha for Students a try for three reasons:

1. I love philosophical and theological debate

2. I had quite a few friends who were going on it and I wanted to make new friends

3. Some of the girls were really 'nice'!! For some reason I have always fancied Christian girls and found the 'virgin until married' thing appealing.

I never intended to ever become a Christian, in fact in was only about a week before I was saved when I actually thought 'uh oh...theres a chance i might end up beleiving in this'.

Then it happened and life has never been the same since!!!

Upvote 0

OceanAngel

Back?
Jan 23, 2004
North-East England
✟36,587.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Just a pointless little note: All the Alphas and follows-up (apart from the dinnerless one that I went to and quite enjoyed) that I've been invited to always seem to be on a Tuesday which is one of the few days i'm actually busy, I wonder is it sometime about Tuesdays that they are always a 'free' evening in most peoples lifes.

Upvote 0

Buttermilk

Oct 19, 2003
✟16,334.00
Faith
Atheist
The UK Cowboy said:
Just a pointless little note: All the Alphas and follows-up (apart from the dinnerless one that I went to and quite enjoyed) that I've been invited to always seem to be on a Tuesday which is one of the few days i'm actually busy, I wonder is it sometime about Tuesdays that they are always a 'free' evening in most peoples lifes.
Totally OT but I am busy on a Tuesday evening as well :D

Upvote 0

Garcookie

Dec 30, 2003
✟15,167.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'd like to buck the trend and say I am not a fan of Alpha.

super slug said:
I origionally was a bit sceptical about the courses. I didnt like the Idea of trying to work to a formula to bring people to Christ. In my experiance the Holy spirit doesnt work that way
Maybe you were right first time(?). Not sure the Holy Spirit will suddenly change His mind if the Lord led you to that discernment.

Martin said:
John Wimber once said that there are many reasons why people attend church, but only one reason why you stay - the friends you make.
The reason you stay in a church is (hopefully) because it's God's will for you to be there. It's about the Lord first and foremost and what we can do for Him and His will for us. Of course fellowship with our brothers & sisters in Christ is important and a gift from God. But that's not the *reason* we stay in a particular church. If the Lord has led us there then that's where we're supposed to be, regardless of the blessings the Lord has for us in fellowship. Not doing down fellowship but it's for the Lord and His glory; we shouldn’t treat it like a club. So I guess I don’t agree with John Wimber!

We surely need to get the focus off ourselves and our spiritual experience and on to Jesus Christ Himself. Alpha is too much rooted in a spiritual experience and focuses more on the spirit than Christ (e.g. the spirit weekend away), which I feel is cause for concern because the spirit and being filled with the spirit isn’t the focus of the bible. In bringing others to Christ we need to stick to the Word as that is what the Lord has given us.

I just believe we have to as Christians uphold the truth of the bible and test everything with the scriptures as we are required by the Lord to do. And not to accept something as if it's from the Lord just because it's a 'good idea' in our modern culture.

Can I encourage brothers and sisters in Christ reading this to seek the Lord and His will and His guidance for bringing others to Christ, whether Alpha or not. And for Him to give us wisdom and discernment at all times, not to be swayed by anything that's not from our Heavenly Father.

Love in Christ,
Garcookie

Upvote 0

traingosorry

I'm what Willis was talkin' bout.
Mar 10, 2004
✟14,190.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I have seen some really cool things with Alpha but I think that each course can go a different way each time depending on where the Holy Spirit leads the groups and also the dynamics of the people attending. The first time round, we didn't have a weekend away because although people were really gung-ho about the course, they couldn't be bothered to make the time and hire care for their children so we resorted to spending nearly the whole time together at our ministry centre stuffing our faces with food and playing games; the 2nd time around ALL of our groups are super tight-knit( and a larger turn out too for the course at our church!!) so they jumped at the chance to be together all weekend long and we headed out to a ranch retreat and pretended we were kids all over again!
I have seen people come and go because they thought it was too 'formattic' (is that a word?someone did say that to me) and they felt they had no choice but to conform whereas the majority of people felt this was the must freeing way they could get to know God at their own pace. And for that reason I think we were able to lure them in! ( haha just kidding) Even more amazing, I have seen lives change right before my eyes.....people coming to the intro night still high on drugs and then leaving when the course is finished ready to make some life changes; I have seen people being convicted of things they have been ashamed of in their lives and learning that God is willing to wipe the slate clean so they can begin to wipe their own slate, forgive themselves and move on. I have seen other christians come in from out of town to see what Alpha is all about and leaving with information on how they can get it started in their communities.

Alpha is not for everyone, and God knows that and He has special plans for those people....but the Holy Spirit is moving in the hearts of FAR too many people for us not to use Alpha as a resource to bring people to Jesus.

But as we say on thursday nights at dinner " Hi, my name is Heather, and I am an Alpha-holic.", so maybe I am just blinded by the light?

Cheers!
Heather

Upvote 0

shout2thelord

adopted aussie :)
Oct 11, 2002
crewe, england
Visit site
✟2,215.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
my housemate was a new christian and went to alpha but left after 2 weeks becuase she said it was really boring ive never been but it really wouldnt work 4 me. at hillsong church they ran like a 4 weeks teaching thing similar to alpha but i think it was a lot more relevant and they still discussed things in groups but it was a 4 week course so shorter and to the point - that sort of thing worked better with me.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
I have heard many people,young and elderly,saying what informative courses Alpha Courses are.They do not only help new Christians to understand ,they also assure maturer believers what a difference it makes to have Christ as our friend and redeemer. I am one of those and I know what I am talking about. Thank You Lord for Alpha Courses. Greetings Your sister ind Christ Emmy.

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
traingosorry said:
'formattic' (is that a word?someone did say that to me)

They probably meant formulaic.

Great to hear your, and everyone else's testimonies about Alpha. It has clearly been a blessing to a great many people and brought many into the Kingdom - which can only be a good thing. But of course, it will not be for everyone, and with anything sucessful like this we need to be careful we do not become prideful and trusting in man rather then God. It seems that those who devised Alpha and many who run courses are being good and faithful servents and God is using them to save many - but it is God and God alone who saves and to whom all honour and glory is due.

God bless,
YN.

Upvote 0

StormeTorque

Floreat Dunelmia
Aug 28, 2003
Visit site
✟17,535.00
Faith
Agnostic
but it is God and God alone who saves and to whom all honour and glory is due.
Just to clarify - do you believe that God offers his salvation to all, or just those who he had predestined?

Yes, I did do an Alpha course a couple of years back. I found the discussion groups to be quite helpful in answering any questions that I had.

Upvote 0