Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I live a life of prayer and live mostly alone. I am immersed in God's eternal now.

But I am available. You don't have to be alone. I am here if you need someone to talk to. Feel free to PM me. I feel confident we have a lot in common. :)

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I live a life of prayer and live mostly alone. I am immersed in God's eternal now.

But I am available. You don't have to be alone. I am here if you need someone to talk to. Feel free to PM me. I feel confident we have a lot in common. :)
Thank you. :)

Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,820.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Whenever I pray or meditate, I am drawn to isolate myself in a dark and quiet place. So I always do this at night indoors or outdoors doesn't matter unless it's unsafe outdoors at night.

Indoors, I turn all the lights off and close all the doors and windows so everything is quiet.

It's a way to shut yourself from the world and perhaps even 'leave the world' in a figurative manner of speaking.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Whenever I pray or meditate, I am drawn to isolate myself in a dark and quiet place. So I always do this at night indoors or outdoors doesn't matter unless it's unsafe outdoors at night.

Indoors, I turn all the lights off and close all the doors and windows so everything is quiet.

It's a way to shut yourself from the world and perhaps even 'leave the world' in a figurative manner of speaking.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Upvote 0

GodBeMercifulToMeASinner

Sep 21, 2022
The South
✟28,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If you are fortunate enough to live in an area that isn’t so over-populated, has natural habitat and nice open land I’d recommend spending plenty quality time out there if you don’t already. Enjoy His creation. Get away from the TVs and electronics and social media where everyone is pretending they have some wonderful life it’s all a facade. In fact if you have a TV I recommend throwing it out, can’t even describe how beneficial this was for me and I hadn’t even converted yet when I decided to pull the plug on that garbage. They don’t call it ‘programming’ for nothing LOL.

Take it from me, it isn’t so great to have friends and be in a relationship with someone when it isn’t the right people for you to be dealing with. You end up in some situations you don’t want to be involved in. If you desire fellowship and a potential spouse it never hurts to ask, God is far beyond anything in this world He is not limited by it. These are great things to pray for. Regardless, just have to learn to be content with the situation as Paul preached (Philippians 4:11). And unplugging from the mass media/the world’s culture/their hive mind state/herd mentality as much as possible will help get you there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
If you are fortunate enough to live in an area that isn’t so over-populated, has natural habitat and nice open land I’d recommend spending plenty quality time out there if you don’t already. Enjoy His creation. Get away from the TVs and electronics and social media where everyone is pretending they have some wonderful life it’s all a facade. In fact if you have a TV I recommend throwing it out, can’t even describe how beneficial this was for me and I hadn’t even converted yet when I decided to pull the plug on that garbage. They don’t call it ‘programming’ for nothing LOL.

Take it from me, it isn’t so great to have friends and be in a relationship with someone when it isn’t the right people for you to be dealing with. You end up in some situations you don’t want to be involved in. If you desire fellowship and a potential spouse it never hurts to ask, God is far beyond anything in this world He is not limited by it. These are great things to pray for. Regardless, just have to learn to be content with the situation as Paul preached (Philippians 4:11). And unplugging from the mass media/the world’s culture/their hive mind state/herd mentality as much as possible will help get you there.
I live in a city and I appreciate your input.

Upvote 0

mojoboy31

Kitchen Ninja
Oct 19, 2014
One does not simply give away one's location.
✟241,369.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I am single with virtually no friends.

How can I live a life of prayer so I do not feel so lonely?
You're never going to "kill loneliness", the trick is to cope with it. You can live a "full, happy life", and still be single. Likewise, you don't necessarily need friends either. You can develop healthy coping mechanisms to help you deal with the loneliness when it comes and then otherwise enjoy your life and focus on the positives when you're happy.
That's not to say you can't make friends though. Pick up some new hobbies, social ones if your feel so inclined. Shared interests and hobbies is a good path to friendship-- pursuing interests and hobbies is a good path to enjoyment, and a good coping mechanism to distract when you're feeling low.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
You're never going to "kill loneliness", the trick is to cope with it. You can live a "full, happy life", and still be single. Likewise, you don't necessarily need friends either. You can develop healthy coping mechanisms to help you deal with the loneliness when it comes and then otherwise enjoy your life and focus on the positives when you're happy.
That's not to say you can't make friends though. Pick up some new hobbies, social ones if your feel so inclined. Shared interests and hobbies is a good path to friendship-- pursuing interests and hobbies is a good path to enjoyment, and a good coping mechanism to distract when you're feeling low.
Thank you for the recommendation! It is appreciated

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

frank1234

Apr 26, 2006
Winnetka, California
✟35,569.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I understand that. We, humans, are designed to socialize and interact, but unfortunately things are not always ideal in this life, even for the believer. We should realize that God is completely aware of our situations and He has a plan and purpose for each one of us. He says that He uses our circumstances for our benefits, whether for teaching us something or for training us towards something, and in general to grow us up. If we work on ourselves and be willing to change and be available, He gives us the desires of our hearts according to His will, but we should also trust His timing for everything. This is easier said than done, believe me I understand. It's a daily struggle for me, but I know God is faithful.

Upvote 0

linux.poet

Electric Nightfall
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2022
Poway
✟203,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Since you are talking about prayer, I would encourage you to find a prayer group. Praying with other people is one of the best anecdotes to loneliness there is. It's what got me through the first several months of Covid - my pastor hosted a prayer group over Zoom and all of us would take turns praying with each other over specific requests. I wish I could be a part of such a group again.

A second resort is a good Bible study. I don't know what Catholicism has for that, but whatever it is probably worth trying.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see how being alone would hinder prayer. Not being alone enough is what does that.

I'm so alone, I'm even alone at work. Which is by choice. The only time I'm really truly social is when I'm in church.

I used to be bothered by it because it seemed strange because I was measuring myself against those who are social.

But now I know it's perfectly natural and normal for me.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟242,681.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see how being alone would hinder prayer. Not being alone enough is what does that.

I'm so alone, I'm even alone at work. Which is by choice. The only time I'm really truly social is when I'm in church.

I used to be bothered by it because it seemed strange because I was measuring myself against those who are social.

But now I know it's perfectly natural and normal for me.
Oh, I do not think I was being clear. Excuse me. I need to have a deeper prayer life which has nothing to do with my aloneness. oops

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟607,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, I do not think I was being clear. Excuse me. I need to have a deeper prayer life which has nothing to do with my aloneness. oops
No you were clear enough I just read it wrong.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I've found it helpful to visit monasteries, if possible. When I lived in Oregon and still was Roman Catholic, I went to Mt. Angel Abbey on the coast (it's a beautiful drive up from Eugene, where I was living at the time), and since becoming Orthodox I have been blessed to visit the monastery of St. Shenouda the Archimandrite in upstate NY. Both are wonderful, contemplative places of prayer and peace, with truly graceful people in them who will welcome you to have a taste of the life of pure prayer that has nourished centuries upon centuries of our Christian fathers and mothers who were also alone (though from what I remember, both were built on the cenobitic model of St. Pachomius, so they were kind of 'alone-in-community'). As you've rightly surmised, you are never truly alone when you are in constant prayer to and communion with God.

Even if you cannot get to a monastery (and I know how that is, as I live in a city now too; I don't even know where the nearest monastery is, to be honest), it might help you to seek out a copy of your tradition's daily prayer book/Book of the Hours that will help you establish a structured daily prayer rule, if you don't already have one. I don't know where you might find the Roman Catholic version of that (though I know there is one, since I remember praying the hours on occasion with my fondly-remembered father of confession, Fr. Augustine), but just as an example, here is the Coptic version of it, known as the Agpeya (from the Coptic word for 'hour', ti-agp). Its contents and structure are inherited from the daily prayer rule that developed in the monasteries of Egypt by c. 5th century, so it is very well-established and actually very popular for lay Copts to use every day (friends of mine from church had multiple copies around their houses; I have two -- one 'standard' one and one abbreviated one meant for people to take with them during their school or work day, which only has a few of the hours in it instead of the whole daily cycle).

Upvote 0

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm happy I'm not the only one "alone."
trust me, you're not. There's something like 28% of people between 25 and 34 alone, and still over 20% above that age never married. It will only grow. My health issues would make me undesirable to women to I have simply accepted my fate, hence my choice of celibacy but I hate it as it was not what I wanted. Just the card I was dealt. This community is great though. I feel ya

Upvote 0

GodJesusAndChocolate

Hugging God and Jesus ^w^ =3
Dec 17, 2021
Hugging God, Jesus, and Chocolate ^w^ =3
✟238,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My PM Box is always open Riley @RileyG ! Message me whenever you want! [Hugs]
1675803794513.gif
1675803795972.gif
1675803797977.gif
1675803800021.gif
:hug::hug::hug::hug:

Upvote 0