Allusions in Revelation from Old Testament

F

from scratch

I just noticed this thread and started reading. I am sure that you have already been corrected in that the Book of Life is in the OT and is referenced in the OT from the Book of Enoch, which is the first eschatology book written, and that was written before the flood, by Enoch the prophet, the seventh from Adam; and Revelation is the Revealing of the Son of Man whom Enoch saw in secret, hidden, with God, and who was God, and wrote of Him as to come and in whose name the elect would be saved/redeemed -those who choose to live the elect life, says Enoch.

Enoch writes of the Book of Deeds, first, also:

Judas' name was blotted out of the Book of Life, for Peter references Judas in Acts 1, and applies OT passages to him, which state that his name will be blotted out of the Book of Life and another appointed to fill his office.
So where do these quotes come from? I do wonder how anything pre flood exists.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So where do these quotes come from? I do wonder how anything pre flood exists.
Noah carried the books on the Ark, and the Ethiopian Enoch has a fragment written by Noah, in it.
Abraham was in the house of Noah and Shem for 39 years, from age 10 until the tower of Babel fell, and in their house, he received instruction in righteousness, and the Book of Enoch.
In the DSS, in the the Genesis Apocryphon -which is a collection of manuscripts written by the patriarchs- Abraham states that he read to the Egyptians who returned Sarah from Pharaoah, from the Book of Enoch, when they asked him to teach them "wisdom, values, and truth". the date of that reading is only about 40 years after the fall of the tower of Babel, and so, about forty years from the time Abraham came from Noah and Shem's house.

Translation of 1Q Genesis Apocryphon (1QapGen)
A famine took place throughout all this land, but I heard that grai[n] wa[s avail]able in Egypt. So I moved to [enter] the land of Egypt [ … … … ] I reache[d] the Carmona River, one of the branches of the river [ … … ]. Now we [ … ] our land, and I [cro]ssed the seven branches of this river which [ … … … ]. Now we passed out of our land and entered the land of the children of Ham, the land of Egypt. vacat
And I, Abram, dreamed a dream during the night of my entering the land of Egypt. I saw in my dream one cedar tree and one palm tree, [a very beautifu]l one, and huma[n] figures came and tried to chop down and uproot the cedar in order to leave the palm by itself. But the palm restrained (them) when she said, ‘Do not chop down the cedar, for both of us are from o[ne r]oot!’ And the cedar was left alone thanks to the protection of the palm and was not [chopped down]. vacat
I woke up from my dream in the night, and said to Sarai, my wife, ‘I have (just) dreamed a dream, [and I] am afraid [on account of] this dream!’ And she said to me, ‘Tell me your dream that I might know (it), and so I began to relate this dream to her. [And I revealed] to [her the meaning of that] dream, and I [said, ‘… …] for they will seek to kill me, but you they will spare [… …] this, every favor [which you must do for me] in every [place] where [we are, say] of me that "he is my brother," and I will remain alive by your protection and survive thanks to you.’ [… … ‘they will try] to remove you from me and to kill me!’ And Sarai wept over my words that night. [… … … …] and Pharaoh Z[oan … … …] Sarai to go to Zoan [with me, for she was v]ery [careful] with her person so that no [one] would see her […]. But after those five years, three men who were princes of Egypt [came … …] of Pharaoh Zoa[n] about my affairs and about my wife, and they presented [me numerous gifts and aske]d m[e to teach them] values, wisdom, and truth. So I read in their presence the [book of] the words of [En]och

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I find this person's view concerning the "allusions" found in the book of Revelation that are found in the Old Testament/Covenant rather fascinating.
Would anyone like to put down verses from Revelation and the verses from the OT/OC that are alluded to this? I think that would be fun. Thanks

THE SYMBOLISM IN BOOK OF REVELATION

One man studied and found 348 allusions (nyot illusions, Light) in Revelation from the Old Testament. You see the similarity in wording and the context mirrored in Revelation and the particular Old Testament story, and immediately can recognize the reference source! That’s, IF you know the bible well enough to even notice that.

95 of the 348 plain references used in Revelation as taken from the Old Testament are repeated in Revelation.
That makes about 250 Old Testament passages are cited. How many chapters are in Revelation? 22. That makes about TEN OLD TESTAMENT REFERENCES FOR EVERY CHAPTER!
I thought every body knew this?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What you won't find in the ot is any mention of the Talmud. This is what Jesus fought over with the Sanhedrin.
I reckon not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

God's Word

Feb 18, 2011
In this world, but not of it.
✟3,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exodus 32:30-33

"And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin: and now I will go up unto the LORD: peradventure I shall make an atonement for your sin. And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin---, AND IF NOT, BLOT ME, I PRAY THEE, OUT OF THY BOOK WHICH THOU HAST WRITTEN. AND THE LORD SAID UNTO MOSES, WHOSOEVER HATH SINNED AGAINST ME, HIM WILL I BLOT OUT OF MY BOOK."

Revelation 3:1-6

"And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee. Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy. He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; AND I WILL NOT BLOT HIS NAME OUT OF THE BOOK OF LIFE, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels. He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

So much for "once saved, always saved". God WILL blot some people's names out of His book of life. Who has ears to hear what the Spirit says UNTO THE CHURCHES?

Revelation 13:6-9

"And he opened his mouth in blasphemy against God, to blaspheme his name, and his tabernacle, and them that dwell in heaven. And it was given unto him to make war with the saints, and to overcome them: and power was given him over all kindreds, and tongues, and nations. AND ALL THAT DWELL UPON THE EARTH SHALL WORSHIP HIM, WHOSE NAMES ARE NOT WRITTEN IN THE BOOK OF LIFE OF THE LAMB SLAIN FROM THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD. IF ANY MAN HAVE AN EAR, LET HIM HEAR."

Upvote 0

God's Word

Feb 18, 2011
In this world, but not of it.
✟3,181.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LLoJ said:
Is that the same book Daniel mentions in Chapt 12?

Young) Daniel 12:1 `And at that time stand up doth Michael, the great head, who is standing up for the sons of thy people, and there hath been a time of distress, such as hath not been since there hath been a nation till that time, and at that time do thy people escape, every one who is found written in the scroll.

LLoJ:

Yes, I believe that it is.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,802.44
Faith
Messianic
I really know nothing about the book of Revelations. I have a strange theology about the end times that goes something like this....."who cares". LOL What I mean is that the end will come and there is nothing we can do about it, so who cares how it happens.....rapture, no rapture, pre/post trib, etc. There is nothing we can do about it....what matters is that if we are going to Heaven or not. :)
Revelation tells you where you are in the battle.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I really know nothing about the book of Revelations. I have a strange theology about the end times that goes something like this....."who cares". LOL What I mean is that the end will come and there is nothing we can do about it, so who cares how it happens.....rapture, no rapture, pre/post trib, etc. There is nothing we can do about it....what matters is that if we are going to Heaven or not. :)

hmmmmm......Revelation is the culmination of God's Word.....do you read Revelation? We see how God brings all things together in Revelation and how Jesus is now Conqueror and triumphant. All will see this with their own eyes.

'Tis good to be informed, my brother.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Originally Posted by s1mp13m4n
I really know nothing about the book of Revelations. I have a strange theology about the end times that goes something like this....."who cares". LOL What I mean is that the end will come and there is nothing we can do about it, so who cares how it happens.....rapture, no rapture, pre/post trib, etc. There is nothing we can do about it....what matters is that if we are going to Heaven or not.

Revelation tells you where you are in the battle.

Whoa, that is quite profound, my sister.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
hmmmmm......Revelation is the culmination of God's Word.....do you read Revelation? We see how God brings all things together in Revelation and how Jesus is now Conqueror and triumphant. All will see this with their own eyes.
'Tis good to be informed, my brother.
Than you. AMEN!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SummaScriptura

Forever Newbie
May 30, 2007
Scam Francisco
Visit site
✟49,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think there is plenty in the book of Revelation besides the OT prophecy. For instance the message to the 7 churches and the Book of Life. The book of Life has nothing to do with the OT.
The idea of a book in which God keeps a record of the names of the godly is ancient.

Psalm 69:28, "Let them be blotted out of the book of the living". Moses requested God remove him from this book.

Looking at the total picture of Jewish literature from the time of the 2nd Temple and earlier, the concept starts out as "books of the living", in which all the living are recorded. As these die due to the judgment for sin, they are blotted out. But God remembers the righteous and their names are not blotted out. At the consummation, all the names of the lost have finally been removed and the book is then referred to as the Lamb's Book of Life, because only the names of those whose sin has been removed by the blood of the Lamb remain.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

billypayton

† Brother of Jesus
Site Supporter
May 15, 2010
NC
✟28,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
I ask what is the manna , and when do we get a new name?

Revelation 2:17

He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; To him that overcometh will I give to eat of the hidden manna, and will give him a white stone, and in the stone a new name written, which no man knoweth saving he that receiveth [it].

Upvote 0

B-74

Jan 23, 2012
USA
✟2,637.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The idea of a book in which God keeps a record of the names of the godly is ancient.

Psalm 69:28, "Let them be blotted out of the book of the living". Moses requested God remove him from this book.

Where did Moses request that?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I ask what is the manna

John 6:32 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Moses gave you not that bread from heaven; but my Father giveth you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world. Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread. And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."

This is one of those many, many things that we can see in more detail via the OT, yet we never know what to do with the info until we meet Jesus in the New.

and when do we get a new name?

IMHO this is both instantaneous, and progressive. Just like every other aspect of Salvation. I'm curious about the new stone spoken of in this passage ...

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Where did Moses request that?

"And it came to pass on the morrow, that Moses said unto the people, Ye have sinned a great sin: and now I will go up unto the LORD; peradventure I shall make an atonement for your sin. (Exodus 32:31) And Moses returned unto the LORD, and said, Oh, this people have sinned a great sin, and have made them gods of gold. Yet now, if thou wilt forgive their sin--; and if not, blot me, I pray thee, out of thy book which thou hast written. And the LORD said unto Moses, Whosoever hath sinned against me, him will I blot out of my book."

Interesting choice for a username, btw

Upvote 0