Oh wonderful! I will certainly join you.. I can just drool over all of you that have visited and wish..wish hard.. LOL!

I think our next big trip is Hawaii but it won't be for a while.. I have to have the baby first so we are staying close to home for now..

Missy

Upvote 0

dignitized

Aug 5, 2005
✟29,618.00
Today at 12:23 PM MissytheButterfly said this in Post #25

Br.Max, um Messsianics and Jews do not mix their wine with anything. It's pure wine.. and it's kind of a lot of wine some people would say. It's a certain amount one is to drink at certain feasts but lots of people go over that.. LOL!  I think this is what Talmid is trying to convey.

And hey, I thought you said you were a Christian of Jewish decent.. so why don't you know that ?

Blessings,

Missy

Um . . . properly celebrated, the Eucharistic cup is water mixed with wine for many reasons.

1 blood and water flowed from the side of Christ

2 the mingling of Christ's divinity with our humanity to save us from our sins

3 the redemptive properties of both . . . .

In the early church there was along side the celebration of the Eucharist the Agape feast at which many people were often drunk (something Paul comments on in the Epistles) for this reason the church shed that aspect of worship to end opportunities for such occurrences.

Upvote 0
Yesterday at 10:01 PM Br. Max said this in Post #32

Um . . . properly celebrated, the Eucharistic cup is water mixed with wine for many reasons.

1 blood and water flowed from the side of Christ

2 the mingling of Christ's divinity with our humanity to save us from our sins

3 the redemptive properties of both . . . .

In the early church there was along side the celebration of the Eucharist the Agape feast at which many people were often drunk (something Paul comments on in the Epistles) for this reason the church shed that aspect of worship to end opportunities for such occurrences.

Um..yeah..in a Catholic church or some Protestant churches. We are talking about Jews here and Messianics.. totally different.. and well considering the Jews are the people God gave his word to, I think I'll stick with them.. hee hee..

But your free to do as you please. I was just explaining to you that Jews and Messianics do not dilute their wine, no reason to. And I couldn't understand how you, a Jew by decent, wouldn't know that...

Shalom,

Missy

Upvote 0

keng

ReMember
Feb 16, 2003
Decatur, IL
Visit site
✟230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
In 1979 I was a raving alcoholic, I was at the point that nearly everytime I had a drink I wound up drunk. I went to AA, but I also attended any church that was open. I was delivered from alcoholism and received the Holy Spirit in a Pentecostal church but became engrossed in Jewish aspects at the same time. In my early childhood I was Catholic, an uncle was a Priest and I knew real wine was used then. I became aware that real wine was used by many Jews as well as a result developed an odd testimony to my deliverance. A glass of wine on Shabat and certain Jewish festivals is a witness to my deliverance. The Lord has blessed me with 10 children during this time and many other miracles as well. When I used to drink beer it was to have a good time but it eventually lead to bitterness. Now when I have the cup of wine it is to recognize the joy in my life which continues to flow. Perhaps it is the intent that matters, I hope I am not rationalizing this matter. I know Jesus drank wine at the proper time but He is the Lord, I am just a follower. I know it is a touchy issue but to me it is like a fire that is dangerous, still it is so nice to set in front of the fire place once in a while.

I know some Catholics have beer busts before Lent or for any "good" reason which I have set aside and I hear it is okay for a Jew to get slightly drunk on Purim which would have been a good enough reason for me to do so were I still an alcoholic but Jesus has delivered me. I have considered just giving up the cup of wine but it is like I would be refusing a gift.

I hope this helps and that I have not confused the issue even farther.

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
For many Orthodox it is considered a duty to get as drunk as you can on Purim. :( As a Messianic I believe it is a sin to get drunk and that it is no sin to take a portion of the Nazirite vows to abstain from all alcohol.

Anyways there are many Orthodox or Russian Jews that have a severe drinking problem. I'm glad that in the congregations that I attend we can teach them that they can escape the depression of alcoholism and the troubles it causes. We can also teach them without not to escape from life but to embrace Yeshua better without that stumbling block during our communion.

Its good to see you Keng.

Shalom

Upvote 0

keng

ReMember
Feb 16, 2003
Decatur, IL
Visit site
✟230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Well, I have prayed about it and slept on it and have a few thoughts. First, as an alcoholic I truly witnessed about Jesus in AA meetings in 1979 and 1980. Then when the Lord delivered me I wanted very much to tell my associates in AA they did not have to cling to a higher power like a lucky charm but at some point accept Jesus so they could be truly changed. There were those who had been going to AA for many years and seemed forever locked into what they were, not what God wants to make of them.

Still I need to focus on growing in the Lord where I am now and the need to fast and pray is much more prevailing in these times so I could make this sacrifice such that it will yield fruit for the Lord. Based on your urging I will sacrafice wine. It is not much I am giving up (very low quantity) but since it has become a habit I will have to rely on the Lord to accomplish it. Please pray that this sacrifice will indeed produce fruit for the Lord.

Thank you for the compliment, Sha ah lu Shalom Yerusa la im

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
http://www.aish.com/purimparty/purimpartydefault/Drink_Till_You....asp
<P class=ArticleText>A person should drink on Purim until the point where they can't tell the difference between "Blessed is Mordechai" and "Cursed is Haman. (Talmud - Megillah 7a; Code of Jewish Law 695:2)
<P class=ArticleText>Not that this is any less of a problem for Gentiles and their churches, but at Purim this time of year it is particularly problematic for Jews.
<P class=ArticleText>Its disgusting and sad to watch a person drink their life away. Its even worse when they're aided in the name of the Church. As Purim comes up remember that this is a holiday of deliverance from one's enemies and that one can also be delivered from alcohol and the enemy of drunkenness.
<P class=ArticleText>Shalom.

Upvote 0

keng

ReMember
Feb 16, 2003
Decatur, IL
Visit site
✟230.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Thanks, thought I would give you a progress report. I did not experience withdrawl but I did think about it and have a few minor aches and pains that my subconscious tried to tell me would be helped so I had to turn to the Holy Spirit, not for strength because I think I could make it through on my own but for confirmation that this is what I should do and I got it. Sorry about the long sentence, Toda Raba Yeshua, Shalom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums