Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
I probably should try to post as tired as I am right now....

Anyways, I appear to be a stubborn (or curious?) fool.

What are the beliefs of others who attend Messianic services regarding the use of Alcohol in services? I've noticed a lot of difference of opinion on this issue in different congregations. Some consider it essential to serve Wine, some refuse to serve it, and others offer the choice of either.

I don't have a problem with other people drinking Wine, but personally I am against consuming alcohol and won't touch even a drop.

So what are your opinions on the matter?

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
I just have a problem in services where there isn't the option not to drink Alcohol for communion.

Come on, I would think that Messianic Jews based in the Nazarene tradition would understand that more. Its just one of my personal gripes among Messianics Congregations and Gentile Churches.

Most Messianic congregations I've been to use both and you have the option, there are still a fair number that serve only one.

Upvote 0
if you arent using alcohol as a substitute for dealing with oyur problems, or as a substitute for your relationship with y'shua, then what is the problem.

my congregation uses juice because there is always a question of whether you have parishoners who have alcoholism. the bible clearly says not to be a stumbling block for your brothers.

Upvote 0

Ruhama

25 'הושע ב
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟891.00
Faith
Messianic
The Nazarite tradition and the Nazarene tradition are completely different and unrelated things.

Where you have Jews, you're most definitely expected to have wine, or it's just not proper! I understand and agree with your complaint, Talmid, but at the same time, Messianic Judaism probably is the last place I would expect to see substitutes for wine offered.

If you're thinking of the verse (Matthew, is it?) where it says "and so he shall be called a nazarite" - well... it's possible, but I would tend expect people to interpret that as largely symbolic and not make a big deal out of it.  A lot of critics say the author was confusing references when he wrote it.

Wine was part of the last supper seder in which Jesus commanded his followers to drink it ever after in remembrance of him.  So if you interpret "pri hagefen" as wine, as it normally is in Judaism, and take Jesus's command as a mitzvah one should expect to see Jews drinking wine only in strict obedience to that command. 
I'm taking this to an extreme of course, but it makes sense to me.

Upvote 0

Ruhama

25 'הושע ב
Feb 5, 2003
Visit site
✟891.00
Faith
Messianic
[edit] Nazarene just means "from Nazareth" or "follower of the guy from Nazareth" (i.e. Christian)

@ Talmid - continuation - I agree that there should be sensitivity for those like yourself who have chosen to abstain. I think people are too often geared for the masses and forget about the one or two who have taken special vows. I think the Gentile churches are basically of the same ilk, just they offer substitutes because they are more attuned to the large numbers of conservative people who, for example, don't want their children drinking alcohol until they're of legal age. In the Jewish community that's much less of an issue. And so people like you slip through the cracks. :(

Upvote 0
There is no logical reason why wine should not be used unless someone reaction to it that would harm them. Many Jews advocate the use of wine because that is what was originally used.

Some people believe drinking alchol is a sin, but I will point to the verse in the KJV bible that says this:
I Timothy 5:23 23 Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

Some would say this refers to grape juice but I offer this case with other well read people: Grape juice offers no properties that help the stomach. It's common in the medical field to know that the consumption of wine in small installments does in fact "soothe" the stomach and keeps the heart strong. Alcohol is a blood thinner which in some physical cases can be beneficial.. grape juice does not thin blood.

Missy

Upvote 0
Today at 04:31 PM Talmid HaYarok said this in Post #3

I just have a problem in services where there isn't the option not to drink Alcohol for communion.

Come on, I would think that Messianic Jews based in the Nazarene tradition would understand that more. Its just one of my personal gripes among Messianics Congregations and Gentile Churches.

Most Messianic congregations I've been to use both and you have the option, there are still a fair number that serve only one.

Talmid, I have heard many Messianic say they believe that Messianic Judiasm comes from Nazarene tradition but let me point this information out to others that may not be privy to it:

Nazarites took a vow of these things:
(1) abstinence from wine and strong drink which includes vinegar, and grapes moist and dried, (2) refraining from cutting the hair off the head during the whole period of the continuance of the vow, and (3) the avoidance of contact with the dead. When the period of the continuance of the vow came to an end, the Nazarite had to present himself at the door of the sanctuary with (1) a he
lamb of the first year for a burnt-offering, (2) a ewe lamb of the first year
for a sin-offering, and (3) a ram for a peace-offering. After these sacrifices
were offered by the priest, the Nazarite cut off his hair at the door and threw
it into the fire under the peace-offering. ( Source: Websters Unabridged Encyclopedic Dictionary).

It is also important to note that just because someone is a resident of Nazareth didn't mean they were automatically to become Nazarite priests. One took a vow to become a Nazarite priest unlike Levitical priests that didn't have a choice in the matter since they who were born into the 'Tribe of Levi' were "set apart" by birth for the express purpose of serving as sacramental priests.

Lastly, I would like to point out that all Messianic do not believe that Messianic belief is rooted from Nazarites but more from the extension of Tanach (Old Testament) believing Jews that accepted Yeshua (Jesus) as the Messiah. Many Messianics consider themselves, "completed Jews" as in they have already been saved and see the light of Yeshua that many Orthodox or traditional Jews are currently blinded to.

Shalom,

Missy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Heh, sorry about the confusion between Nazarenes and Nazarene vows.  :p

Well the big issue would be that Wine is a problem for many people, while non-fermented drinks are not. Alcoholism seems to be a common problem along many Jews I know as well and the fact that they can sometimes excuse it in the name of religious celebration does not help.

Furthermore there are a lot of people like me who have chosen to totally abstain from alcohol. I don't like that a church should say that we have to abandon that in order to partake in communion. The importance of passover and the last supper has nothing to do with the contents of passover cup.

Peace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Today at 04:21 PM Br. Max said this in Post #24

??? you would deviate from what the Lord did for the human sensibilities? The alcohol content in Alter wine is so low as to be almost no existent. You run the chance of consuming more alcohol by eating old fruit than you do by drinking alter wine MIXED with water as in the Eucharist.

Br.Max, um Messsianics and Jews do not mix their wine with anything. It's pure wine.. and it's kind of a lot of wine some people would say. It's a certain amount one is to drink at certain feasts but lots of people go over that.. LOL!  I think this is what Talmid is trying to convey.

And hey, I thought you said you were a Christian of Jewish decent.. so why don't you know that ?

Blessings,

Missy

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
I don't think the Lord is so legalistic as to be concerned whether I'm drinking wine, grape juice, water, or root beer. When you start focusing on having alcohol you've already lost the point of the whole sacrament.

My Dad can't have wine because of his Diabetes, do you think the Lord is upset with him for it?

Also, many people are alcoholics who abstain totally because even a small amount can cause them to develop a craving again. Some people are alcoholics and this is just one more excuse for them to get drunk in the name of a holiday or sacrament.

Some people take vows not to drink (such as the biblical Nazirite vows proscribed by the Lord), should they be forced to break that vow just for a tradition? its also the same as not causing your brother to stumble by eating meat in front of him. Why would we insist in causing others to stumble because the issue isn't meat? I don't think Paul meant don't cause your brother to stumble over meat.

Still there are others like me who have inherited genetic alcoholism and I've no wish to ever start drinking. I've also seen way to up close and personal in my life the dangers of drunkeness and I've no desire to consume even the least fermented fruit.

I know Yeshua won't condemn me for not drinking or expel me from his holy communion, why should the church?

Upvote 0
Talmid.. I don't know how familiar you are with Orthodox Jewish practices but it is VERY acceptable for a person to not consume wine if he is ill or drinking will be detrimental to his health. There are other exceptions as well..

There is a book called Idiots Guide to Judiasm written by a VERY well noted author.. A Rabbi Benjamin Blech. And he discusses that matter in there. Orthodox Judiasm speaks out very strongly against lack of self control with the consumption of alcohol.. well with anything really but here we are talking about alchohol..

Also pregnant women can refrain from wine as well if they choose.

So you wouldn't be expelled from a Messianic synaguoge for it.. they would just wonder why mostly you don't drink wine that's all. And you definitely wouldn't be booted by most Jewish synaguoges but believe me they would want to know why you aren't drinking.. LOL!  (Of course we do have the exceptions but that in any religion)
Shalom,
Missy

Upvote 0

Talmid HaYarok

Feb 3, 2003
Semi-Nomad
Visit site
✟702.00
Faith
Messianic
Heh heh, I wasn't referring to Messianic congregations for the most part. Its true that among Jews you're always excused if you choose not to drink. I just wish more would choose not to drink and that a few congregations wouldn't make it the only option during seder/communion.

Yeah, while living in Israel I had to explain on a regular basis why I don't drink alcohol.  :)

Peace

Upvote 0
LOL, I bet you did! Hee hee..

I do have to agree that more congregations should offer an alternative, I think maybe water should be used as an option. Perhaps have regular communion but have water served as well so one can opt to drink water instead of wine. Especially for those that may be sick or alcoholics that still want to participate..

Wow you lived in Israel.. that's wonderful. I would love to visit one day. I have only seen some pictures but they were beautiful and rustic. I sure would like to actually see Israel up close..

Shalom,
Missy

Upvote 0