A

applepowerpc

Hi,

We're back from our honeymoon in Alaska. :D We loved it! My biggest regret is we didn't get to fish. That's so cool how it's always daytime; 1am at Wasila and there's still some light out. Mt. McKinley was surreal--that scene cannot be the planet earth. You sure the Denali range didn't land here from Mars or something? Woo woo!

I would looove to go back, get an RV, and go camping further north. We only drove as far north as Talkeetna (then flew over that big martian thing just north of there). And I'd like to go to Barrow and dive into the Arctic, so I can qualify for the REAL polar bear club. We ended up sea kayaking down in Seward, and I got a taste of what it's like to be in the water--courtesy of a stuck rudder and a really big wave!

Upvote 0

LightHearted

No Storm Can Shake My Inmost Calm
Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
~WildRoseCowgirl~ said:
peanut potatoes?
:yum::yum::yum::yum::yum:

Yes... They sell those at the fair. They're kind of like fancy french fries, served with an interesting ranch dressing. They grow the potatoes somewhere in the Valley.

Upvote 0

LightHearted

Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
applepowerpc said:
Hi,

We're back from our honeymoon in Alaska. :D We loved it! My biggest regret is we didn't get to fish. That's so cool how it's always daytime; 1am at Wasila and there's still some light out. Mt. McKinley was surreal--that scene cannot be the planet earth. You sure the Denali range didn't land here from Mars or something? Woo woo!

I would looove to go back, get an RV, and go camping further north. We only drove as far north as Talkeetna (then flew over that big martian thing just north of there). And I'd like to go to Barrow and dive into the Arctic, so I can qualify for the REAL polar bear club. We ended up sea kayaking down in Seward, and I got a taste of what it's like to be in the water--courtesy of a stuck rudder and a really big wave!
It sounds like you had a wonderful time! :clap: Now you've got some stories to tell the grandkids. lol

How cold was the water when you fell in? Were you guys wearing wet suits?

Upvote 0
A

applepowerpc

We didn't have wet suits. We were told sea kayakers don't tip 99% of the time. Well, guess what....

Someone told us we had 15 minutes to live if we didn't get out. :D LOL I doubt it--it wasn't THAT cold. It's not like we were kayaking near calving glaciers. Actually I had fun tipping; it was an opportunity to learn self-rescue. And I'm not afraid of the water anymore. Unless there were icebergs floating all around--that would put the fear of God in me.

Upvote 0

AlaskanDan

AlaskanDan
Apr 1, 2004
Anchorage, AK
✟7,796.00
Faith
Non-Denom
It is true that you cant survive in that water for more than 15 minutes...hypothermia should set in within 3 or so...but the good news is, if you drown in that water, because it is so cold, you have right about an hour to be revivedand be perfectly healthy afterwards. Gotta love the Alaskan water!

Upvote 0

LightHearted

Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
applepowerpc said:
We didn't have wet suits. We were told sea kayakers don't tip 99% of the time. Well, guess what....

Someone told us we had 15 minutes to live if we didn't get out. :D LOL I doubt it--it wasn't THAT cold. It's not like we were kayaking near calving glaciers. Actually I had fun tipping; it was an opportunity to learn self-rescue. And I'm not afraid of the water anymore. Unless there were icebergs floating all around--that would put the fear of God in me.
lol

I've always heard that getting stuck in the mud flats is more dangerous... Especially when the tide's coming in. :eek:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LightHearted

Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
~WildRoseCowgirl~ said:
Hmm sounds good!
I talked to my mom and dad earlier this week, and I was drooling on the phone about Peanut Potatoes (because of this conversation :D). They told me that there isn't a booth for Peanut Potatoes anymore, and that there hasn't been one for a couple years. :(

Upvote 0
A

applepowerpc

We spent like 4 days down at Miller's Landing. So, what do the Seward locals think of all the tourists coming from the cruise ships? I heard one local saying city council is crazy. They're charging like $1.50 tax for each tourist, and several cruise ships are just going to Whittier rather than pay it. And that road going out to Lowell Point is pretty awful--it's like the stretch within the city is really bad, and then once it leaves the city it's state jurisdiction, and then suddenly it's not all that bad. You'd think the city could take care of their roads better than someone having to take care of all Alaska.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LivingWitness

Aug 19, 2004
Visit site
✟674.00
Faith
Christian
Honestly the fourth doesn't bother me, the way people act on the fourth bothers me

I don't want to even get into the politics of the city ther was a tremendous history of corruption here and I don't know how far that has reached into present day but i do know we still feel the ramifications.

Raygn

Upvote 0

LightHearted

Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
LivingWitness said:
Honestly the fourth doesn't bother me, the way people act on the fourth bothers me

I don't want to even get into the politics of the city ther was a tremendous history of corruption here and I don't know how far that has reached into present day but i do know we still feel the ramifications.

Raygn
Seward is one of my favorite places in Alaska, but these days, I avoid it like the plague on the 4th. The halibut fishing is great there. :) My ex-boyfriend's step dad owned a charter on the J dock. We went fishing whenever we had the chance.

Upvote 0

LightHearted

Dec 8, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
✟25,272.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Starcrystal said:
Here's a spawning King my wife caught all by herself. We let it go so she could lay her eggs, but we ate a King a week all summer.
That's a great looking salmon, and your wife is beautiful. :)

Upvote 0