Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Cobalt Blue said:
It annoys me when people try to use someone's age against them in a debate. What does being 17 have to do with believing in "tradtional: values?
Usually I would agree with you. But frankly, the idea that she is, at 17, familiar with "traditional" times when sex toys were outlawed (assuming such a prohibition even existed in Alabama) is unlikely. A tradition is a custom passed down through culture. It's not the sudden legislative reversion to a completely preposterous interpretation of a holy book.

Upvote 0

challenger

Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Jun 5, 2004
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Other Religion
Inge87 said:
While I agree that the law is a bit silly, it has a point. Y'all don't live in Alabama (or Texas for that matter), so don't complain, because it doesn't affect you. We are simply more tradtitional and like it that way. Our laws are the way they are, because that's how we want them. There are no statewide office holding Democrats here for a reason.
Appeal to popularity.

Also, I'd try to find a slightly less biased newspaper than the Guardian, since last time I checked, it supports abolishing entire the British monarchy system completely.
What's wrong with abolishing the monarchy? Its a stupid, archaic, pointless waste of public money that doesn't do anybody any good.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Constitution doesn't include a right to sexual privacy now???? I'm not sure if they are referring to the US Constitution or the Alabama State Constitution but I sure hope they're referring to the state one. I guess this means that the police can just walk in on me while I'm having sex with my bf now if they want huh? If there is no Constitutionally protected right of sexual privacy then essentially they can. And people wonder why the rest of the world thinks the United States is so strange! lol! I hope someone makes an appeal or whatever and gets this law overturned. One thing that shouldn't be legislated is what people do in the bedroom, who they do it with, and what they do it with!

Upvote 0

Philosoft

Orthogonal, Tangential, Tenuously Related
Dec 26, 2002
Southeast of Disorder
Visit site
✟6,503.00
Faith
Atheist
Holly3278 said:
The Constitution doesn't include a right to sexual privacy now????
Not explicitly. The Roe v. Wade court derived a general right to privacy, however, from the 9th, 10th and 14th Amendments, and presumably a right to "sexual privacy" is similarly derivable. The obvious problems would be exceptions for practices that have more long-standing, widespread prohibitions in place, like incest, inappropriate behavior with animals, etc.

Upvote 0

challenger

Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem
Jun 5, 2004
Visit site
✟8,889.00
Faith
Other Religion
ONE said:
I think the sale of them is up to the state. But if we look at it, sex toys can lead to areas that involve sin. Its like a stepping stone such as marijuanna can be to other drugs. But thats just my belief.
I am going to say this once more only on this thread:
YOU CAN'T LEGISLATE OTHER PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOUR WHEN THEY AREN'T HURTING ANYONE

Its not up to you, you can't force other people to believe what you want them to.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ataradrac

Now with 50% less irony!
Feb 10, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
✟7,992.00
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ONE said:
I think the sale of them is up to the state. But if we look at it, sex toys can lead to areas that involve sin.

It will lead to... what, me enjoying sex with my husband? Yeah, thank goodness the government is concerned about stopping that from happening.

The "slippery slope" arguement is pretty stale, no matter what it's applied to.

Upvote 0

Norseman

EAC Representative
Apr 29, 2004
Currently in China
✟13,677.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
fashionably_lonely said:
why on earth is it their business what an adult buys for their own pleasure? i suppose next, handheld shower massagers will be off the market.

Don't forget candlesticks, fingers, pencils, pagers, cellphones, old twigs and branches, miniature baseball bats, unloaded guns (loaded too, but dangerous :eek: ), pens, rulers, yard sticks, and pointy rocks. I guess we won't be finding any of those in Alabama!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fashionably_lonely

Mar 29, 2004
✟276.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The slippery slope argument is quite valid when the issue at "hand" pardon the pun is none of the government's business. It's not anyone's business if a massager happens to be used to stimulate yourself, and I can't believe anyone thinks the government is protecting anyone or doing anything valid with this type of law.

Upvote 0