Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Even if it was shoved down your throat, what would be wrong with simply swallowing it? After all, it's not real, right?

:sigh: You really don't get it, do you? Why should I have to, to use your words, swallow it? Why should I not spit it back in the faces of those foisting it upon me?

Upvote 0

Skavau

Ode to the Forgotten Few
Sep 6, 2007
England
✟41,497.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Good grief! I'll bet you 500 blessings you're not even IN the Air Force and have no interest in joining.
I'm not even American, but that has nothing to do with anything. It is the principle here. I wouldn't accept a pledge or a requirement to defer to God in word or writing in any job. Why should I?

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,480,988.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Except for the fact that those Christians are first forced to pay for the public schools through their property taxes, even if they don't have children. What money do you think they still have to send them to Christian schools after paying for them to go to government schools?

That's a false argument. Taxes are not a problem for the Body of Christ.

And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. -- Luke 2:1

When they came to Capernaum, those who collected the double-drachma tax approached Peter and said, “Doesn’t your Teacher pay the double-drachma tax? -- Matthew 17

Then Jesus said to them, "Give back to Caesar what is Caesar's and to God what is God's." And they were amazed at him. -- Mark 12

Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common. And with great power the apostles were giving their testimony to the resurrection of the Lord Jesus, and great grace was upon them all.

There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were owners of lands or houses sold them and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and it was distributed to each as any had need.
-- Acts 4

People in the first century were heavily taxed, yet they had enough among them to fully meet all needs.

Christians today build huge expensive edifices--which are patently and provable unnecessary. There are almost always superfluously inefficient church buildings in every town simply because so many Christians in America cannot get along and "want their own thing" even when they have the same theology.

If Christians really believed that a Christian-friendly education was a priority, there is certainly enough money and expertise in the Body of Christ in America to provide it.

But, no, a new $50,000 video system usually takes priority even over setting up a homeschool support program.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
God stopped blessing this country a long time ago. It is why it is going downhill.
Going downhill? When this country started, we had hundreds of thousands of human beings in slavery, women couldn't vote, we were fighting wars on US soil, the average life expectancy was 35, and people died of such things as cowpox and yellow fever.

You really think society has gone downhill since then?

Society has become so obnoxiously ignorant and vain that it can't say "God" in an oath.
Where are you not allowed to say "God" in an oath?

Upvote 0

JGG

Mar 12, 2006
✟58,445.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Private
Going downhill? When this country started, we had hundreds of thousands of human beings in slavery, women couldn't vote, we were fighting wars on US soil, the average life expectancy was 35, and people died of such things as cowpox and yellow fever.

Not everyone sees all that as an upswing.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Venial blessings, perhaps.
But as far as America is concerned, collectively as a country, it is evidently in a state of judgement by God.

Seeing as it's one of the wealthiest and most prosperous nations going, and possesses one of the highest standards of living on the face of the earth, if this is God's judgment, then the US is doing pretty well.

Makes you wonder what Somalia did to annoy your God so much....

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
Probably as a way of binding people into a type of contract that could be used against them if they don't do their duty.
The oath doesn't do that. The contract they sign does that.

Same as when someone takes the oath in the court of law and are held in contempt if they lie.
People can be held in contempt of court for perjury whether take an oath or not.

As for the "so help me God" part, it like forcing someone to bind themselves not only by law, but also by their conscience as well.
Only for those who believe in God.

Upvote 0

Queller

I'm where?
May 25, 2012
✟45,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Others
It's binding in the court of law, at least here in the USA. Otherwise, a person couldn't be found guilty of lying under oath.
Where in the world did you get this idea?

It enters you into a legal contract. See my answer above.
No, it doesn't. Signing the contract does that.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

It does make me hang my head in shame when some people try to claim that the US is worse off now than it was at its founding. Our education system has let some people down.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
You also benefit from an educated society whether or not you have children.

Sure. High school kids graduating without even the ability to read and write is benefiting me somehow.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
Sure. High school kids graduating without even the ability to read and write is benefiting me somehow.

And what percentage of high school kids are graduating without being able to read and write?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I guess that would depend on the quality of your school district where you live. Where I live, the students score amongst the highest in the nation.

And, even though a person doesn't have kids who pay taxes to local schools, those taxes are required to maintain or improve the quality of those schools, which the tax payer will see on the backside, with increased home values in quality school districts.

For several years, my kids went to a highly touted private Christian school and they all switched back to the public schools after the first year in high school and they found the public schools much more challenging from an academic standpoint. My oldest daughter just scored a 29 on her ACT.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I guess that would depend on the quality of your school district where you live. Where I live, the students score amongst the highest in the nation.

And, even though a person doesn't have kids who pay taxes to local schools, those taxes are required to maintain or improve the quality of those schools, which the tax payer will see on the backside, with increased home values in quality school districts.

Yes, I've heard that as the reason why people without kids have to pay property taxes to schools. It's also President Oh blah blah's justification when he said, "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I've heard that as the reason why people without kids have to pay property taxes to schools. It's also President Oh blah blah's justification when he said, "If you’ve got a business — you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen."

Someone else's business has no impact on you financially, the quality of the school system and how it impacts property values, most certainly does.

Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

Except that isn't what he said. He said that the power grid that powers the business was not built by that business. The roads that the business' goods are shipped on were not built by that business. The infrastructure that every business needs was built by public tax dollars, not by the businesses.

You could at least learn what the president said before mocking him.

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟656,868.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Someone else's business has no impact on you financially, the quality of the school system and how it impacts property values, most certainly does.

It only impacts my home's value if the kids in the schools I'm paying for remain in the same district as I live when they grow up and become employed. But with the government screwl system lacking as it is, regardless of the extra money they keep getting from us, we're not seeing that benefit. The dollar per student cost is up, but not keeping pace with performance.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It only impacts my home's value if the kids in the schools I'm paying for remain in the same district as I live when they grow up and become employed. But with the government screwl system lacking as it is, regardless of the extra money they keep getting from us, we're not seeing that benefit. The dollar per student cost is up, but not keeping pace with performance.

Wrong.

One of the most important determinants of home values are; the quality of the school district the home is in. Ask any real estate agent.

If the kids score well on testing in that school district, it positively impacts the home values of anyone in that district, whether the kids stay there or not.

Upvote 0