I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Okay, so today I was about to walk home from school, when two girls I know ran up to me and told me that this one senior girl wanted to ask me out and go to prom with me.

Of course, at first I was thinking "Definitely no." due to the fact that she's a senior and dances aren't my thing, especially prom for a sophomore.

Well, of course, I started talking to her, just so I could get to know her seeing as I had no prior conversations with her, and she and I actually am starting to like her a bit... She's got Crohn's disease, just like me, and love music, and all that good stuff. I still told her "no" initially but I said I'd think about it, and that I'd need to get to know her better first. So, as we kept talking, I told her that I'd actually like to go to a dance with her... So, now I want to, but I feel weird about doing so.

I mean, the problems are: She's a senior, she's 19 and I'm 16, prom isn't my sort of thing because I'm so shy and laid-back that it's a hard thing for me to think of doing. I'd be the youngest one at the prom, and that just feels so weird...
To be honest, I have no idea what to do, and I'm usually pretty figured out when it comes to decisions I've gotta make about girls, but this time I'm so confused I have no idea what to do. I don't want to say no, because I sort of like her (she's head over heels for me, apparently she's liked me since the beginning of the year.) but, it's hard to say a definite yes because of the fact we'd be going to prom, and I don't know her too well...

Also, not many people at school like her because she's always feeling sort of sick and can be upset about it a lot, and she's very short because of it, (I'm talking about like not even breaking the 5 foot mark, she's short.)
Personally, I don't mind what others think about how tall she is, or the fact that she's sick a lot, because I have the same disease as her. I just don't want people bagging on me because I'd be going out with her, they'd call me "desperate" and things such as that because she's not like super pretty or anything. Somehow, I can't help but feel attracted to her though, and I don't want to let her down because she's thinking I'm gonna go to prom with her.

It's not like I care what others think, there's just a few barriers, and I don't know what the right decision would be. What do you think?

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
fact.

a girl literally begged me to take her to banquet (small christian school version of prom)

spent at least 2 hours trying to argue why I should take her
tried to bargain

everything...

Ah dang, same situation I'm in now. How'd it turn out? What'd you do?

Upvote 0
F

free_to_be_me

Okay, so today I was about to walk home from school, when two girls I know ran up to me and told me that this one senior girl wanted to ask me out and go to prom with me.

Of course, at first I was thinking "Definitely no." due to the fact that she's a senior and dances aren't my thing, especially prom for a sophomore.

Well, of course, I started talking to her, just so I could get to know her seeing as I had no prior conversations with her, and she and I actually am starting to like her a bit... She's got Crohn's disease, just like me, and love music, and all that good stuff. I still told her "no" initially but I said I'd think about it, and that I'd need to get to know her better first. So, as we kept talking, I told her that I'd actually like to go to a dance with her... So, now I want to, but I feel weird about doing so.

I mean, the problems are: She's a senior, she's 19 and I'm 16, prom isn't my sort of thing because I'm so shy and laid-back that it's a hard thing for me to think of doing. I'd be the youngest one at the prom, and that just feels so weird...
To be honest, I have no idea what to do, and I'm usually pretty figured out when it comes to decisions I've gotta make about girls, but this time I'm so confused I have no idea what to do. I don't want to say no, because I sort of like her (she's head over heels for me, apparently she's liked me since the beginning of the year.) but, it's hard to say a definite yes because of the fact we'd be going to prom, and I don't know her too well...

Also, not many people at school like her because she's always feeling sort of sick and can be upset about it a lot, and she's very short because of it, (I'm talking about like not even breaking the 5 foot mark, she's short.)
Personally, I don't mind what others think about how tall she is, or the fact that she's sick a lot, because I have the same disease as her. I just don't want people bagging on me because I'd be going out with her, they'd call me "desperate" and things such as that because she's not like super pretty or anything. Somehow, I can't help but feel attracted to her though, and I don't want to let her down because she's thinking I'm gonna go to prom with her.

It's not like I care what others think, there's just a few barriers, and I don't know what the right decision would be. What do you think?

I'd say go with her to prom, or at least go with her to the movies or something as an alternative. Everything happens for a reason. It's not a coincidence that she's so much like you. And the fact that she would ask you out rather than the other way around says a lot about her. Also, the age difference isn't really that big a deal, at least to me. One of my friends is 17 and she likes someone who's 15. I'm a week from 18 and I'm dating someone who is almost 23. It's just a matter of how mature or immature you are for your age. As for you being shy and laid back, I can relate to that. However, I never went to prom because I was home schooled. But it should be fun, even if you don't dance. And it shouldn't too bad being the youngest one there, just don't let it get to you if you go. If you do like the girl, this would be a great opportunity to get to know her better. If you say no, she could be crushed. But if you really don't want to go, suggest going someplace else, and just be sure to be sincere and fully explain how you feel about the prom. And don't let what others think of her and how they treat her affect your decision, because you could regret it later on. Base this decision on how you feel about her. Hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

Stjernkvist

disciple
Jan 12, 2010
Sweden
Visit site
✟16,144.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Go with her to the prom, think if she would be the girl of your life. and you would not go with her because you where called desperate.

or maybe she isn't the girl of your life, but i promise that if you don't go the prom with her, you will go and think about your hole life, "what would happen if i went to the prom?" and stuff like that.

Take the shot while you have it. =)

Upvote 0

marie.c

Mar 10, 2010
Denmark (Europe)
✟15,143.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If you like her, go with her to the prom.

And, if I may be frank:
Also, not many people at school like her ... I just don't want people bagging on me because I'd be going out with her, they'd call me "desperate" and things such as that because she's not like super pretty or anything.

Absolutely irrelevant. You shouldn't make a decision about how to treat someone because people might be rude to you for doing it... you should do what you know is right. If you like her, go out with her. If you don't, try to explain it to her nicely. But deciding not to go out with her because people who would call you names is not a good idea...

It sounds like they already treat her badly, and it sounds like you know it's wrong of them. You shouldn't let there bad behavior influence you or make you do something that isn't right...
Exodus 23:2 - Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...

As for her not being "super pretty"
1 Samuel 16:7 - "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."
I know it's incredibly cliche, but... it's the inside that counts.

Anyway, if you like her, go with her. Give it a chance... :)

Upvote 0

HarborOrange

I am a sieve.
Dec 7, 2007
Colorado.
✟19,165.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, lol, as an update, I told her I'm not going to prom with her, it's not because of her though, I just have major issues being around huge crowds of people, it overwhelms me so much, and prom's a huge thing for me.
So, I told her I wouldn't be able to go to prom with her simply because it's something incredibly frightening in my eyes, but, I told her that I may still be interested in her, and that we should get to know each other better.
So, we might go on a date with each other, and then it'll be easier for me to decide how I feel about her.

Thanks for all your advice.

I'm just going in between, I'm not counting her out at all, and I'm giving her a chance because she could be a great girl... But, I'm not going to prom with her (nor will I ever go to prom, even when I'm a senior) because it's just something that overwhelms me too much, and stresses me out a great deal.

Upvote 0

meowmix

The Talking Cat
Jan 15, 2006
Lurking in the fields of Central Illinois..
✟38,095.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
(nor will I ever go to prom, even when I'm a senior) because it's just something that overwhelms me too much, and stresses me out a great deal.

hahahaha! You can say that again! I went to a school dance.. And I stayed near the snacks, and Video games... :p

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NaturallyGone

ילד של האל הופרדו את אחד אהבת אמת
Apr 18, 2010
Florida
✟16,057.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

honest question: why are you citing a 3 year age difference as a problem? there really isn't anything wrong with there being 3 years between two people, especially not all that is being asked of is to go to a dance with someone.

Upvote 0