Age of Earth: not 6000 yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforsaken

Dec 29, 2004
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Ok this is only for people who believe the earth is young, people who think it is billions of years are wrong.

Wouldnt we be nearing 6000 years since the time adam ws created? But we cant be at 6000 yet because the 7th day, last 1000 years, would be the time of gods millennial kingdom on earth. So give or take some years... wouldnt that mean the end of our current earth is near?

MidnightCry

Mar 23, 2006
south dakota
✟8,122.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Starforsaken said:
Ok this is only for people who believe the earth is young, people who think it is billions of years are wrong.

Wouldnt we be nearing 6000 years since the time adam ws created? But we cant be at 6000 yet because the 7th day, last 1000 years, would be the time of gods millennial kingdom on earth. So give or take some years... wouldnt that mean the end of our current earth is near?

Yes.

The creation week of seven literal days mentioned in Genesis 1 is a model of God's time plan for His creation. In that model, six days were allotted for activity, and the final day was sanctified as a day of rest.

Prior to the time of Jesus Christ, approximately 4,000 years of man's history had passed. Christ's ministry came, therefore, after about two-thirds of man's six-day "work week" was gone. The time of God's 1,000-year Sabbath was only two "days" away.

With the first coming of Jesus Christ, God's great plan for mankind entered its final phase. If the first century marked the beginning of the last days in God's plan, then the twentieth century maked the closing hours.

We are not only in the last days, but also in the final half-hour.

Upvote 0

oneshot012

Oct 15, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟15,987.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Wow I have heard this view only articulated once in terms of peoples view on the end times. Could you please extraploate this theology or please point me to a book or some articles that I could read regarding this view as it has interested me the first time I heard it presented in a movie. Thanks so much and God Bless.

Upvote 0
S

SonicBOOM

Starforsaken said:

numerology is almost always just assumptions and speculations as there is no accerate ground for it, it seems to have come about by someone's wacky ideas about the bible's numbers being protrayed as fact.

Upvote 0

Starforsaken

Dec 29, 2004
✟823.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ok no its not. from the time of adam untill now nearly 6000 years have passed. the jews calender is in the laste 5700's i believe, but they also stopped counting years during some periods so it should be closer to 6000. in numerous places god said a day for the lord is as 1,000 years. these are not wacky ideas, perhaps you should do some research before you speak. the 7th day is said to be the day of rest.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
F

Faust69

Starforsaken said:

I didn't think anyone seriously believed this early Earth stuff any more. I mean, if you see someone flailing on the ground, foaming at the mouth, do you still believe they have a demon affliction or that they suffer from seizures.

What about continental drift and plate subduction (library.thinkquest.org/17457/platetectonics/5.php ). While carbon dating isn’t perfect it’s pretty darn accurate. Police use it all the time to date bones, as do archeologist. Even if you only look at sediment deposits (science.enotes.com/earth-science/europe) it is clear the earth is much older than the time given by James Ussher (1581-1665). Ussher was the first to estimate the age of the Earth using genealogies of the Bible. Ussher stated in 1650 that the Earth was created on October 22, 4004 BC. This date was later reproduced in many editions of the Bible and was incorporated into the dogma of the Christian church. For nearly a century thereafter, it was considered heresy to assume that Earth and its puzzling geologic features were more than ~6000 years old. Thus, a very young Earth provided a basis for most chronologies until the 18th century.

But they held many misconceptions during this time, which we hold as untruth. By proclaiming such absurdities you will loose creditability among enlightened Christians and hopeful converts.

Why must some Religious individuals rally against every scientific theory? Scientific evidence cannot disprove God any more than belief in God can disprove science. Faith is powerful...but it cannot turn a false into a true.

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Starforsaken said:

Did this get moved out of General Theology? I see some posters here who I don't normally see in OT, but often see in GT.

If so, ought it not be in the Creationist sub-forum? After all the OP is asking non-YECs not to reply and . . . I . . . am . . . having . . . difficulty . . . controlling . . . aaargh!

Upvote 0

chaoschristian

Dec 22, 2005
✟9,379.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Starforsaken said:
ok no its not. from the time of adam untill now nearly 6000 years have passed. the jews calender is in the laste 5700's i believe, but they also stopped counting years during some periods so it should be closer to 6000. in numerous places god said a day for the lord is as 1,000 years. these are not wacky ideas, perhaps you should do some research before you speak. the 7th day is said to be the day of rest.

The year is 5766.

http://www.hebcal.com/converter/

Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Starforsaken said:
Nuh-uh.

Take it to the creationism sub-forum if it's not for us. I'd rather not have this sort of nonsense cluttering up the OT main forum anyway.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Melethiel

Miserere mei, Domine
Site Supporter
Jun 8, 2005
Ohio
✟77,093.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Dannager said:
Nuh-uh.

Take it to the creationism sub-forum if it's not for us. I'd rather not have this sort of nonsense cluttering up the OT main forum anyway.
To be fair to him, this was moved here from GT, so take it up with the mod.

Upvote 0

RightWingGirl

May 12, 2004
America
✟8,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Starforsaken said:

Interesting....Why would the "seventh day" be the millennial kingdom? I have heard somwhat of the theory, but I am not familiar with it at all. Would you mind giving me a short overview of the theory?

According to Usher's chronology the age of the earth is approximentally 6008.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.