Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am astonished this still continues; please stop provoking each other. Has everyone forgot about striving about words to no profit? Or that a servant of the Lord should be gentle, patient and not quarrelsome? If we are pursuing for things which make peace, and edification of each other - then such disputes over this are foolish. We all know the meaning of the name, regardless of the translation. Walk in the Spirit, not the flesh.

In humility submit to each other.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2012
United States of America
✟41,078.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Being humble does not mean being a doormat. Plus, I really think that admonition should be addressed to one person on this forum, not to all of us. He was asked repeatedly and very nicely and courteously I might add to cease what he was doing, but he chose not to and continued his behavior.

Upvote 0
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being humble does not mean being a doormat. Plus, I really think that admonition should be addressed to one person on this forum, not to all of us. He was asked repeatedly and very nicely and courteously I might add to cease what he was doing, but he chose not to and continued his behavior.
Using the word "Yeshua" instead of "Jesus" doesn't impede our lives in anyway. it doesn't cause offence, unless we choose for it too.

So what does it come down to really?

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Using the word "Yeshua" instead of "Jesus" doesn't impede our lives in anyway. it doesn't cause offence, unless we choose for it too.

So what does it come down to really?
I may regret saying this, as I try to avoid these conversations, but I kind of agree with this. At least, I feel like the conversation isn't being productive anymore.

If anyone starts using a bunch of unknown foreign words for feast days and other words that are not understood, then I would have a stronger issue with it.

Ideally, it seems like it makes sense to say Jesus in English here. Using Yeshua, however, to refer to Jesus though is fairly well known - especially if Jesus is specified in parentheses afterwards.

That said, as this is a public English speaking forum, if anyone did not know what Yeshua meant, I would request that the English term be used instead.

On the other hand, since so many people do have an issue with it, I don't see it as a problem to change how I would write / say the name of Jesus in a specific forum. If I was in a Russian forum...assuming I knew Russian :) I would use the Russian word for Jesus.

My husband is Slavonic, and he always speaks English when he is in an English speaking group. At home, he sometimes uses Boze when referring to God (spelling?) with his grandparents and those from the Old Country. As I am not Slavonic, he doesn't say Boze around me often. He was taught, even from those who immigrated here, that you should use the language of the vernacular, for the sake of proper communication and understanding of those around you.

Just my two cents, for what it is worth.

EDIT: I did not see the flaming and I did stop reading the argument awhile ago. This comment is purely on the initial discussion on using Yeshua vs Jesus and nothing related to behaviors of any individuals.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Apr 21, 2015
✟25,183.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You're missing the point seeking solace, it's not the use of Yeshua instead of Jesus per se, but that the request not to was courteously given and rejected. It was even ridiculed by the person using "Yeshua".

That is the issue.
In fairness both sides have ridiculed each other. This is why I felt the need to hopefully stop this now.

I understand the points, and I agree that after requesting it would be nice if a poster would submit (in TAW) not in conceding the point, but for the sake of avoiding argument. Also, likewise we should respect the choice of a brothers use and not make it into an issue. Both sides could have submitted, neither would.

If they felt strongly about the name, I don't think it justifies falling out with a brother over. I just think this has all been blown out of proportion.

As we have seen, fifteen pages and nothing but disagreement. Surely it's better to just move on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know I can be just as guilty (often more so!) of derailing threads. It's just a human failing in here LOL. But I must say this thread has gone off the rails on the crazy train! (yes, I quoted Ozzy). :sorry:

Reactions: Orthodoxjay1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So I guess it is too much to ask a reasonable request from someone and instead we will make excuses for bad behavior and not try to be better.

That doesn't really jive with Orthodoxy, but that seems to be the consensus here.
I don't think bad behavior should be excused and we always should try to be better. Sometimes things don't get better though on one or both sides, and we may need to acknowledge that it isn't improving, albeit not excusing it, and move on. The question to ask - is this discussion beneficial for our spiritual wellbeing and that of others? If no, then it may be time to agree to disagree - or continue the discussion in an alternative venue other than a thread on a specific topic.

Again, this is coming from someone not involved in the thread much but gathering from discussion here that there hasn't been progress this far. I just am gathering that no progress has been made, and the original topic of the thread has been largely abandoned. If I am off base on what has happened in this thread, then I apologize.

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,297,733.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Of course - the simple solution is to stop posting in the thread .

If people are not acceding to polite requests then just ignore the thread - it will soon sink .

Or of course - since the OP was TallGuy - PM him and ask for it to be closed and locked

Reactions: rusmeister
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I had no idea this thread was still going. I stopped getting alerts about it several weeks ago.

You stopped getting alerts because the topic stopped being about John because a few people made it about my use of Yeshua instead of Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.