• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Against the Jews

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Tallguy88, Oct 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+1,800
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    You mean "for the love of Kepha" ;-)

2. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,800
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    I refuse to have any further conversation with someone who uses The Lord's Name is such a filthy and blasphemous manner.

3. jckstraw72

jckstraw72 Doin' that whole Orthodox thing

+1,051
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    haha, whicever side you're on, that was pretty good!

4. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,800
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    One only needs to read Matthew 1:21 to understand that :) The longer form Yehoshua can also be used.

5. rusmeister

rusmeister A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian

+2,252
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hey, Jack,
    Of course I know what he means. But like I said, he's flaunting "When in Rome..." hard. Anyone who lives in a foreign culture ought to know that it's not polite to push your own, or even preferred language use. Some people here honestly don't know that, but it's Civility 101. The whole difference, which you ought to know, is that the Orthodox convention - established and accepted language use DOES actively use "Theotokos". The others -"Panagia" and "Bogoroditsa" are NOT convention and universal understanding of te terms should NOT be understood. It's great to learn and love a second language. But you should never snob it over Uncle Jack, who grew up in the boonies and never learned the high-falutin' foreign words you and I did, and for those who DON'T speak Russian, show-offy terms...show off. St Nicholas of Japan wouldn't have gotten very far if he had insisted on using Slavonic in Japan.

В чужой монастырь со своим уставом не ходят.

6. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,917
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private

Fr. Alexander Winogradsky Frenkel celebrates the Eastern Orthodox liturgy in Hebrew at Holy Trinity Cathedral of the Russian Orthodox mission in Jerusalem (some other languages might've snuck in there, too; I didn't watch both clips in their entirety, but there are other clips where he is also chanting in Russian).

I just thought I'd post these for everyone's edification and enjoyment, and because now there is a poster in this thread who is claiming that using Hebrew is in and of itself some kind of affront to the fathers. That's just silly. There is no problem with Hebrew as a language, and so there's nothing inherently wrong with calling Jesus Yeshua, if you are in a Hebrew-speaking environment as Fr. Alexander is (the Syriacs, speaking Syriac/Middle Aramaic, call Him by a very similar name, and since Christ Himself spoke Aramaic I should hope no one has a problem with that!).

7. St Herman's Ghost

St Herman's Ghost Orthodoxy or Death

+51
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    image.jpg

8. dzheremi

dzheremi Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian

+7,917
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    As we know from traditions totally not-coincidentally uniquely preserved in the Coptic Orthodox Church, Jesus spoke Coptic from the holy family's time spent in Egypt. Therefore, God speaks Coptic and you are dishonoring Him when speaking any other language.

Um...

Oops. :oops:

ⲁⲉⲓⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ, ⲁⲉⲓⲣⲛⲟⲃⲓ. ⲡ̅ϭⲟⲓⲥ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲁⲛ, ⲡ̅ϭⲟⲓⲥ ⲛⲁⲓ ⲛⲁⲛ.

9. His Disciple

His Disciple Active Member

+37
    Presbyterian
    Private
    Bible: "Thou shalt call his name JESUS"
    You: "One only needs to read Matthew 1:21 to understand that :) The longer form Yehoshua can also be used."

10. RobNJ

RobNJ CF Olde Pharte

+3,113
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Ummm...You DO realize, that the Bible was NOT originally written in Middle English? :wave:

11. St Herman's Ghost

St Herman's Ghost Orthodoxy or Death

+51
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    Sources? I always thought our Lord spoke Aramaic?

12. His Disciple

His Disciple Active Member

+37
    Presbyterian
    Private
    Right, here's what it says in Matthew's own handwriting, which has been passed down to me by my ancestors from Matthew himself:

"kalέseis tὸ ὄnoma aὐtoῦ JESUS"

I did take the liberty anglicizing the last word for our English readers.

Translated it says, "Thou shalt call his name JESUS." Matthew wrote a note in the margin that says, "I pity the fool who judaizes' Jesus' name."

13. fat wee robin

fat wee robin Newbie

+826
    France
    Christian
    Private

14. fat wee robin

fat wee robin Newbie

+826
    France
    Christian
    Private
    mmmmmm , worth investigating . :scratch::oldthumbsup:

15. fat wee robin

fat wee robin Newbie

+826
    France
    Christian
    Private
    OH DEAR,OH DEAR,OH DEAR ,OH DEAR ,:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

16. Yeshua HaDerekh

+1,800
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Please don't waste your time trying to explain anything to him. It went way over his head like everything else. He obviously does not understand what the Name Yeshua means nor its obvious meaning within the quote from Matthew...a VERY obvious Jewish meaning....

17. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+11,856
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    so you can read their heart and know their intentions. what, pray tell, are the names of the sons of thunder?

18. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

Trying_to_be_Orthodox Newbie

+28
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    eeee...so whats about to continue agains/pro JEWS debates?

19. Wgw

Wgw Pray For Brussels!

+2,038
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    UK-Conservative
    Orthodox members, Antiochians in particular, might want to note that Matthew Heimbach, who was I think very correctly excommunicated by the AOCNA, has been prohibited by Home Secretary Theresa May from entering the United Kingdom.

20. ContraMundum

ContraMundum Messianic Jewish Christian Supporter

+2,814
    Australia
    Christian
    Private
    Best summary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.