AG Garland Appoints Jack Smith as Special Prosecutor

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly, and I never claimed you did. You're claiming the poster is contradictory because the poster didn't trust Barr when Barr was defending Trumps conduct, but now the poster believes Barr is being truthful now that Barr has come out criticizing Trumps conduct. You therefore mischaracterize the poster as contradictory rather than attributing that change to Barr changing positions.

Federal judge blasts Barr for 'misleading' comments on Mueller report
Hence the "I don't like Trump so anything that is negative about Trump is true and anything positive about Trump is false" logic. Makes total sense.

Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hence the "I don't like Trump so anything that is negative about Trump is true and anything positive about Trump is false" logic. Makes total sense.
Bias, whether positive or negative, implies a prejudice. And prejudice, by definition, is never based on facts. No offense, but you should consider that many people prefer to reason upon facts to avoid being negatively biased against others, because they know that the blindness of pride will only diminish themselves by robbing them of the objectivity that informs all the reasonable people.

I therefore disagree with your inference above. It is not only illogical, but also the exact same statement of nonsense as its' counterpart: "If you like Trump, everything positive about Trump is true and everything negative about Trump is false". After all, reality is not dictated by one's personal likes or dislikes and therefore people who think like this are reasoning upon nonsense.

So, if you're describing how you think, and assuming that the poster thinks like you, then in the blindness of your pride you're projecting your own bias onto others. And if that's not how you think, then you should love others as yourself and not assume others think that way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green

The wife of newly appointed special counsel Jack Smith is a filmmaker who produced a movie about former first lady Michelle Obama and donated to President Biden’s 2020 campaign.

Katy Chevigny is credited as a producer on “Becoming,”a 2020 documentary about Obama, and Federal Election Commission records show that she donated $2,000 in support of Biden’s presidential run that same year.

“Becoming” centered on the former first lady’s 2019 book tour promoting her memoir of the same title. Big Mouth Productions, where Chevigny is employed as a director and producer, is listed as one of the production companies that worked on the film.
Is the implication here that Jack Smith is biased because of his wife's profession and donation to Biden?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

The wife of newly appointed special counsel Jack Smith is a filmmaker who produced a movie about former first lady Michelle Obama and donated to President Biden’s 2020 campaign.

Katy Chevigny is credited as a producer on “Becoming,”a 2020 documentary about Obama, and Federal Election Commission records show that she donated $2,000 in support of Biden’s presidential run that same year.

“Becoming” centered on the former first lady’s 2019 book tour promoting her memoir of the same title. Big Mouth Productions, where Chevigny is employed as a director and producer, is listed as one of the production companies that worked on the film.

That's nice. Are you stating that his wife's former work and donations make Jack Smith incapable of being honest and unbiased in his job as Special Prosecutor; and if so, does that mean that Clarence Thomas should step down because of his wife's work lobbying for companies and Right Wing candidates -- particularly those that had cases coming before the Supreme Court?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Does the GOP really care about the wives of people involved in legal cases, or is this just an excuse to try and get in front of whatever wrongdoing he finds. Because if it is the former, weird we didn't hear about it, say, when a Supreme Court justice was involved : Legal ethics experts agree: Justice Thomas must recuse in insurrection cases

If it is the latter, I think we can ignore the typical empty partisan noisemaking in this case.

• Winner
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What would one’s wife being a fan of Michelle Obama got to do with investigating/prosecuting Trump’s alleged crimes?

• Agree
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What would one’s wife being a fan of Michelle Obama got to do with investigating/prosecuting Trump’s alleged crimes?
Being a fan. Nothing.

Being hired by them, something

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Being a fan. Nothing.

Being hired by them, something
Why? What’s Michelle Obama got to do with Trump? If Smith can’t investigate a Republican because his wife worked on a project with a Democrat, wouldn’t he be equally precluded from investigating a Democrat?

• Agree
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why? What’s Michelle Obama got to do with Trump? If Smith can’t investigate a Republican because his wife worked on a project with a Democrat, wouldn’t he be equally precluded from investigating a Democrat?
If he or his wife was in their payroll. Yes

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If he or his wife was in their payroll. Yes

I find it interesting that you didn't answer my question above. It seems here, since I can't recall you criticizing Justice Thomas for deciding a case where his wife is employed by one of the parties involved in the case, that you believe that Special Prosecutors should be held to a higher standard than a Supreme Court Justice. Isn't it typically judges that are required to recuse themselves if they have a conflict of interest and not prosecutors?

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I find it interesting that you didn't answer my question above. It seems here, since I can't recall you criticizing Justice Thomas for deciding a case where his wife is employed by one of the parties involved in the case, that you believe that Special Prosecutors should be held to a higher standard than a Supreme Court Justice. Isn't it typically judges that are required to recuse themselves if they have a conflict of interest and not prosecutors?
That's because I typically do not address whatabouts - they tend to derail topics -but thanks for asking.

Another reason is found here:

And I quote:

The American Politics forum is open for all members to discuss and debate political topics that apply specifically to the United States. Political discussions and debates may at times become heated, so please remember to keep your emotions in check and your responses in line with our sitewide rules and the following guidelines.​
When you Disagree:
Members who participate in the American Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.​
  • When you disagree, address the context of the post and not the poster.
  • When you disagree with someone's position, you should post evidence and supporting statements for your position. This policy, sometimes referred to as "X means Y because of Z", must be followed especially when posting claims that are widely considered to be controversial.
I do my level best to follow forum rules and guidelines and that is why I didn't reply.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When did the GOP make a statement?
Yes, GOP leadership has - GOP scrambles to do damage control on Clarence Thomas

But I guess I can't point out that this post is an attempt to dodge the obvious point, lest we have to see another attempt to quote the rules against personal attacks as if they meant we can't address various posts' antics to avoid addressing how this latest right wing talking point is hypocritical.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, GOP leadership has - GOP scrambles to do damage control on Clarence Thomas

But I guess I can't point out that this post is an attempt to dodge the obvious point, lest we have to see another attempt to quote the rules against personal attacks as if they meant we can't address various posts' antics to avoid addressing how this latest right wing talking point is hypocritical.
Yeah, working within the rules sometimes is inconvenient.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,885.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,928.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Yeah, working within the rules sometimes is inconvenient.
Weird that these posts which are allegedly breaking the rules are left in place by mods. Almost as if the claims that they are against the rules are somewhat at odds with reality.

Anyway, can't help but notice that there's been nothing to dispute that the right-wing claims about conflict of interest in this investigation seem peculiarly selective.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0