After Kim Davis is jailed, clerk's office issues marriage license to gay couple (Moved)

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Likewise. So then how do we decide? Oh wait, as you said before, I need to talk to a lawyer.

And the lawyers will tell you what the civil law on the matter is.

Upvote 0

Crowns&Laurels

Jul 11, 2015
✟6,832.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
After Kim Davis is jailed, clerk's office issues marriage license to gay couple

Was anyone actually expecting for gay marriage licenses to not continue after Davis was removed?
Or is it just atheist/liberal goading as per usual..

I feel like the headlines just read "After the sun came down, it came back up"

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The only one that's reflective of the existent objective reality, Christianity.

Funny, the guy marrying us didn't mention God, only that we where married under the law of our state. There was no mention of Christianity, only the legal requirements of the state.

Which is the whole thing you are trying to do here, interject your religion into the government, even when clearly the government has said that it is not part of your religion. You have marriage ceremonies in your religion, but they nothing to the state until the licence is signed, and in some states you don't need a minister or judge to sign it, just the clerk.

You are trying to claim something that does not exist entirely in your religion. Christianity is not the default, no religion is.

Reactions: Red Fox
Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Not by the Supreme Court. And in any case, it's irrelevant. If the Supreme Court's ruling was overruled here, your opinion on this issue wouldn't change.

It wouldn't because same-sex marriage was legal where I live before the recent Supreme Court decision. It would remain a legal union between two consenting adults.

Upvote 0

TheoNewstoss

Aug 19, 2015
✟3,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Funny, the guy marrying us didn't mention God, only that we where married under the law of our state. There was no mention of Christianity, only the legal requirements of the state.

Which is the whole thing you are trying to do here, interject your religion into the government, even when clearly the government has said that it is not part of your religion. You have marriage ceremonies in your religion, but they nothing to the state until the licence is signed, and in some states you don't need a minister or judge to sign it, just the clerk.

You are trying to claim something that does not exist entirely in your religion. Christianity is not the default, no religion is.

"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

But John Adams, a founding father of our country, one of the drafters of the Declaration of Independence, his opinion doesn't matter either, right? Right.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟312,722.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other." - John Adams

But John Adams, a founding father of our country, one of the drafters of the Declaration of Independence, his opinion doesn't matter either, right? Right.

And yet, there is no mention of God or Christianity in the Constitution. It may be what he has intended, but he was only one founder, and that was not put into the Constitution. The Constitution as written does not support any religion, and the first amendment makes it clear the government is not to endorse any religions.

Thus, your argument fails that Christianity is the default or that the government supports Christianity.

Upvote 0

TheoNewstoss

Aug 19, 2015
✟3,122.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
And yet, there is no mention of God or Christianity in the Constitution. It may be what he has intended, but he was only one founder, and that was not put into the Constitution. The Constitution as written does not support any religion, and the first amendment makes it clear the government is not to endorse any religions.

Thus, your argument fails that Christianity is the default or that the government supports Christianity.

My argument is not dependent on the Constitution's mention of religion. So no, it does not fail.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
If they let her go, will she simply halt the issuing of marriage licenses again?

I don't know. I doubt that anyone else knows. My belief all along has been that she should not have been jailed in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Oh, goody! Ancestor worship! That means we get to play the quote game!

"The United States of America have exhibited, perhaps, the first example of governments erected on the simple principles of nature; and if men are now sufficiently enlightened to disabuse themselves of artifice, imposture, hypocrisy, and superstition, they will consider this event as an era in their history. Although the detail of the formation of the American governments is at present little known or regarded either in Europe or in America, it may hereafter become an object of curiosity. It will never be pretended that any persons employed in that service had interviews with the gods, or were in any degree under the influence of Heaven, more than those at work upon ships or houses, or laboring in merchandise or agriculture; it will forever be acknowledged that these governments were contrived merely by the use of reason and the senses." -- John Adams

"Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights of mankind." -- John Adams

"I shall have liberty to think for myself without molesting others or being molested myself." -- John Adams

"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved -- the Cross. Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!" -- John Adams

"Numberless have been the systems of iniquity The most refined, sublime, extensive, and astonishing constitution of policy that ever was conceived by the mind of man was framed by the Romish clergy for the aggrandizement of their own Order They even persuaded mankind to believe, faithfully and undoubtingly, that God Almighty had entrusted them with the keys of heaven, whose gates they might open and close at pleasure ... with authority to license all sorts of sins and Crimes ... or withholding the rain of heaven and the beams of the sun; with the management of earthquakes, pestilence, and famine; nay, with the mysterious, awful, incomprehensible power of creating out of bread and wine the flesh and blood of God himself. All these opinions they were enabled to spread and rivet among the people by reducing their minds to a state of sordid ignorance and staring timidity, and by infusing into them a religious horror of letters and knowledge. Thus was human nature chained fast for ages in a cruel, shameful, and deplorable servitude....
Of all the nonsense and delusion which had ever passed through the mind of man, none had ever been more extravagant than the notions of absolutions, indelible characters, uninterrupted successions, and the rest of those fantastical ideas, derived from the canon law, which had thrown such a glare of mystery, sanctity, reverence, and right reverend eminence and holiness around the idea of a priest as no mortal could deserve ... the ridiculous fancies of sanctified effluvia from episcopal fingers." -- John Adams.

So... you tell me what John Adams' opinion is worth...

Upvote 0