Afros, Locks, & Kosher Hair: What Hair Styles were Hebrews For Historically?

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"their hair was already predisposed to the lock style"

Based on what?
I've never seen any visual evidence of this.

I mentioned dreadlocks so I assume you're referring to that.
It was already noted earlier (as it concerns link reference/images of Jewish people with locks - for anyone aware of what happens for Jewish people in the Middle East/Near Eastern cultures or those who are Semitic Jews living in African cultures (i.e. Ethiopian Jews, Lemba Jews, etc.) It's not as if evidence for hair texture being able to be developed into locks is a new thing since it was well documented - including in Egypt.

Dreadlocks are something you groom your hair for - and I say that having had dreadlocks myself. It's not something you're born with or grow later - as it's about hair texture/grooming your hair to look as such.

Anyway, at the end of the day, this is all about how true Israelites are black, and white Jews are impostors, right ? ;D
:confused:

No - and seeing that none of that was mentioned at any point, at the end of the day, I'd have to say your response seems to be more reactionary rather than dealing with what was actually said in the context it was said in.

Sincerly, I already covered within the OP as well as afterward how/where I have never been for the view that all true Israelites are black or white Jews are imposters (as I've seen others do) - for all that was noted was that it is well noted within Judaism that it was neither problematic or odd for many Hebrews to have African features even with hair styles.

More on that issue - including addressing others with the "Jews are Black, NOT WHITE!!" mess - was discussed here in threads such as The original Hebrews and even Jesus were dark skinned? (more here and here, here and here/here)...and outside of that, there's also the opposite side of things when it comes to Anglo-Israelism.... exalting a cultural mindset that being Caucasian/all the things that've come with dominance over other cultures with that group is somehow a form of "God's Blessing" on what others call "The Tribe of Joseph's children's prospering." I've been shocked to witness it everytime I hear others say that Colonialism and Imperialism - be it by the British Empire or what occurred during Manifest Destiny in America - was all a matter of "Israel living out it's promises" rather than racist ideology for what it is....and of course, what they do when saying that is no different than other groups doing the same like the Black Hebrew Israelites claiming that ALL who are TRUE Jews are Black and non-white (crazy as that is:rolleyes: ) because they don't understand that one can acknowledge where much in Biblical history had a black face to it (including African Jews) without trying to say ALL have to look one way.

But again, I've never been of the mindset that all Jews are BLACK and all non-Jews are White.

And if what I said directly on that was ignored (or perhaps missed), so be it.

WHITE YIDDISH JEWS REPLACED BLACK JESUS WITH WHITE JE-ZEUS WITH BLONDE HAIR (I've never actually seen a blonde Jesus depiction but apparently virulent racists are making blonde Jesuses I don't know.)

I'm sorry I've just seen so much cr*p on issues like thi
I understand - as I've seen the same - from BOTH sides - and as much as it may bother me whenever others get offended if not presenting Christ in Eurocentric terms (i.e. blond hair, blue eyes, etc.) as many churches have done, it also bothers me whenever others demand that Christ/ALL Jews had to have looked black. It's a delicate balance...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟140,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just so you know, your icon is Oriental Orthodox on my screen. So you still sport a Messianic Scroll? It's not what I'm seeing...
Gxg (G²);63318706 said:
Cool to know and thanks for sharing:)

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Just so you know, your icon is Oriental Orthodox on my screen. So you still sport a Messianic Scroll? It's not what I'm seeing...
Rick, it is inconsequential as to whether an OO icon shows on the screen since it was never hidden that I identify with Oriental Orthodox as part of my identity (just as many others in the Jewish world have long done so) - nor was it the case that others currently cannot see the icon change from Messianic to OO. I already noted Messianic in my signature as well as my BIO - which hasn't changed. Other Messianics have had the same dynamic occur for ages - from Contra to Daughter to Ararat and many others (who are actually Bridge Builders/not limited to icon alone when they also work in/with Churches ).

That was already explained elsewhere when it comes to Dual Membership, which the mods have long covered/shared. And as already said earlier:

it isn't the absolute discriminator of who may post and who may not. If people check out the userpage, about me section it clear states "Messianic" in addition to the other Messianic things that are posted there. God bless and Shabbat Shalom.

http://www.christianforums.com/users/238335/

That has yet to change (as that was stated when I had the Messianic icon an but also noted where I was OO as others were since I also work in the TAW Forum..and it also applied to others without a Messianic icon and yet they still identified with it) - and others have been aware of that for some time. What has changed since April was my decision in going from a Messianic icon to OO icon in showing the Oriential Orthodox side I'm in (something already present when I had the Messianic icon) - with the OO Side being reflective of the Jewish aspect strongly (more shared here, here, here, here and here).

That said, I'd suggest one choose to deal with the OP if posting in this thread further - as anything outside of that is off-topic. The thread got bumped up by another when it came to beards and I don't know why it got bumped up due to age....but as it was brought up, I'd rather it stay focused on the OP issues.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Looks like Gxg gets what he wants. Must be nice....
Not really a matter of getting what one wants (and there was no need for any side commentary as if it was that - for disagreeing with something doesn't give room for being exaggeratory as that will never be necessary) - seeing that all things must be in line with what CF has laid out/designed and nothing done has been any different from what other Messianics have done before (from Contra to Daughter of Ararat - also OO - and others). None of them (nor myself) got what they want just because they wanted it since it was about give/take and working with whatever is available. As has been noted before, there has always existed diversity/several streams within the Messianic Jewish movement and others emphasizing the Jewish lifestyle/perspective and yet promoting involvement in the Church ( #21 / #30 ) - the concept of being Bridge Builders (as the MJ Forum emphasizes), which many have noted throughout the Messianic movement...one example being Mark Kinzer in his own words (when it comes to his work within the Catholic Church and yet being Jewish - just as Gentiles work with other Jewish groups, with them being Gentile not causing them to cease being "Messianic"). There are others besides that, of course (more here and here) who've said the same for ages when it comes to the varied expressions of Jewish culture/worshipping the Messiah. We already have an ENTIRE Thread dedicated to showing others who were Jewish and Messianic - if aware of the thread entitled Messianic History (#220 #238 /#252 ) - which was noteworthy because many referenced in the thread were those who were Jewish and involved in the Church - working with Gentiles who felt parts of the Church were more faithful to a Jewish expression of the faith.

And others take that seriously. If the option was available of having 2 icons shown simultaneously, it'd be taken - but it's not...although dual membership is available for all (just as it is for YOU if you chose it) and those desiring it do what they can. Unless one wants to address them or each/every Messianic poster that has done so or been interacted with, it can be seen as selective attention to do so here...either by unintentional action in not knowing/remembering all factors - or leaving things out due to having an ax to grind with others. It's unfortunate regardless of the reason..

Others work with what has been established (i.e. Contra having an Anglican Icon when he worked with them even though he noted in description/moniker where he was Messianic Jewish ...more shared in #53 / #64/#68/ #76 /#175 - or others noting in their own signatures where they are Messianic even if they have an icon like a Black Cross saying "Christian" or the Dove/Earth & Cross saying "Charismatic" - should they come from Messianic circles that emphasis a Charismatic experience and they want that symbolized - or, if switching icons while still being Messianic, talking honorably with the administration as to what's up before/after as well as others).

They work with what's asked for/seek to be honorable - and my focus is doing the same. I've long discussed with other Messianics who understand and have no issue since they give the same grace to others they appreciate for themselves - and they also keep up with other things such as bio/signature in addition to what's said. As already noted earlier:
it isn't the absolute discriminator of who may post and who may not. If people check out the userpage, about me section it clear states "Messianic" in addition to the other Messianic things that are posted there. God bless and Shabbat Shalom.

http://www.christianforums.com/users/238335/
That said, I'd suggest doing according to what has been asked with staying on topic since it has been asked by CF that avoiding that is not appropriate. Thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
To clarify I was being tongue-in-cheek, the subtext nevertheless being "what greater point is there? if none, then what's the point."

If there is a point, then I can repeat that I don't see any proof of the Jews at any point in history, excepting the black Jews of course, have ever had dreadlocks. Having spent time in Egypt doesn't change that - they spent time in Babylon and Persia as well, if it matters. Technically I don't know of BI Jews with dreadlocks but I'm giving the benefit of the doutb that at least one of them experimented with it. I certainly am aware of the argument that Nazirites were proto-Rastas, and used to find it credible - only because I wanted to believe it, not because of any historical merit to the argument. This was at a time I was considering getting dreads myself ;)

I do see a point in aesthetics mind you- I love to find out as much as possible about the distinct, particular qualities of Israel. In fact it kind of saddens me to see the Temple depicted in such a Greco-Roman style. God could well have done it in that style but it seems "off."
However even this is like - what are you gonna do about it?
Let's say we visualized it differently, the hairstyle and architecture and clothes and music and so on - then what?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
To clarify I was being tongue-in-cheek, the subtext nevertheless being "what greater point is there? if none, then what's the point."
I understand that you were being tongue-in-cheek - although for clarity, as it concerns the main issues, it was noted that the point was an issue that has been discussed amongst many Jewish circles when it comes to the fact that many styles with grooming that others have today have long been present in antiquity. Can't get much more direct than that :)- and the issue is that conversation was made for those wanting to discuss it. If they didn't, they didn't have to join in to discuss:cool:

If there is a point, then I can repeat that I don't see any proof of the Jews at any point in history, excepting the black Jews of course, have ever had dreadlocks.

As said before, it has long been others outside of Black Jews which have had hair styles in the form of locks - as there are many Middle-Eastern and Sepharidic Jews who grew their hair in lock style. That was already covered directly in the OP (be it with outside reference or picture of differing types of Jews). And I repeat, one has to ignore history in order to claim there's no "proof" - or already have a pre-existing idea that something could NOT have happened before asking for proof (i.e. begging the question)

It's not anything hidden or hard to find....

Having spent time in Egypt doesn't change that - they spent time in Babylon and Persia as well, if it matters.
Incorrect, seeing that intermixture via genetics as well as through learning what happens in the culture always makes a big deal. It's why there were so many variations of Jews throughout antiquity who dressed differently and looked different - Jews in the time of Esther with the Persian Empire (Iran) looking vastly different than those who lived in Greek culture or India.

This is an issue which many in the Jewish world have long discussed when it comes to seeing the myriad of places Semitic people groups went - and they ways they all developed differently. It's the basis behind why some Jews are Ashkenazi (European features), Sephardic (i.e. those from the Iberian Peninsula - Spain, Portugal, etc.), Indian, Asian or many other varieties.

As said before, there have always been varieties of Jewish/Semitic people - and many of them have been more than able to do locks/noted historically where it was the case. I will again refer to more here and here, here and here/hereAs said elsewhere, for reference:
Gxg (G²);61570145 said:
There are many who are Jewish and yet fitting the depictions given..

It'd be more accurate to note that it's not just black people saying that others who look black are real Jews---and to say it was all black people saying such would be a gross generalization that wouldn't fit the situation. Israeli Jews that are Caucasian in appearance have noted the same to relatives/friends whenever they've seen other Black Jews be discriminated against....and sadly, such has happened in the Israeli state multiple times.

For those who are followers of Yeshua/identify with him as a Jew, it is no small matter when those same people are told by others that Yeshua nor the Jewish people in the scriptures could've ever looked like them..even as they're told that he could've looked like the European Jews that are the dominant group in Israel and the prominent face coming to mind whenever others think on persecution of the Jewish people, from the Holocaust to Pogroms and many other things.

There were a lot of people who've noted the issue for decades when it came to all the Caucasian Jews who were harmed in the Holocaust. However, for anyone being historically honest on the facts, there was NO such cry when it came to the Black Jews (Afro-Germans as well) who were also harmed in the Holocaust (more shared here in #279 )...and not surprisingly, seeing that in the times not many were concerned for the affairs of black culture (the entire basis behind the Civil Rights era) and mostly everything black was despised while all things white were praised. Again, many blacks died in the Holocaust alongside others (more discussed here and here ), yet not many seemed to care about it in the times they lived in since being black wasn't a real concern for most of the world dominated by colonial thought/Euro-centric superiority.

Others have often been skeptical on the issue of Black/African Jews dying in the Holocaust..but it is reasonable that since there were limited Black Africans in most of Europe then, and fewer still that were Jewish, and that the Nazi's were out to exterminate Blacks as well as Jews, being both, (especially one of which you could not conceal), lowered your odds of surviving exponentionally. So highly likely the few there probably were, were some of the first exterminated.

You'll often hear of the Jews in Germany/Europe wiped out during the Holocaust in those areas...but what you don't often see is that during the North African campaign, 17 Concentration camps were establihed in places like Morocco, Libya , Algeria and Tunisi...directly impacting African Jews. This enterprise was a labor camp and no extermination camps were in place in North Africa. Jews living in those areas were rounded up, tortured and executed..and anyone being there in those places is aware of the Jews present who are dark-skinned in those areas (especially those who are Berber Jews)..just as there are light-skinned Jews there as well. The small numbers, did not mean that "African Jews" were not a part of the Holocaust.

Rabbi%20Tunis.jpg

2424718418_739950206b.jpg

jews302.jpg

800px-MoroccanBerber.jpg

164365-mn-0304-libya-13.jpg

For Black Jews who were mistreated in the U.S, if they recieved flack for being black/Jewish, no one would take them seriously on many sides---DESPITE the heritage being plain (more discussed here ). Part of that often had to do with others having stereotypes of what being "Jewish" was about since others often felt Jews were European or looked white---and there was ALOT of hatred toward that which was black that was evidenced by the ignoral of times blacks were wiped out (discussed here).

Many felt as if they didn't really have a voice on any side.

To be Jewish in the 1960s/earlier was not something you came out with openly/declared expecting to not be harrassed...and it was one of the reasons many white Jews were able to blend in with the dominant culture/get by and didn't bring up their Jewish ancestry.
Gxg (G²);55372913 said:
....it is amazing to consider the fact that Bob Marley - one of the most famous musicians in the world (especially as it concerns Reggae and Rasta culture) happened to be Jewish. More specifically, it is well known that Bob Marley is biracial and that his father (a White Englishman) had some Jewish background in his him. Marley’s paternal grandmother was possibly a Jewish Syrian Jamaican woman named Ellen Broomfield..as apparently, in a 2003 interview, Michael George Marley revealed “I was told by my mother ,grandmother and uncle, that the Marleys were Syrian Jews that migrated from the Middle East to England and then Jamaica. I did research on the surname that showed this to be true.” (more here). Although I wasn't always aware of it, it just clicked when I found out on it...and I should've picked it up when considering the attribution of Jewish wandering (“Exodus”) or the defiance and prideful yearning for home (“Iron Lion Zion” and “Redemption Song”) in Marley’s songs. Thankfully, Bob Marley became saved later/joined with the Ethiopian Orthodox Church that Haile I. Sellassie was a part of after Haile told other Rastas that they needed to follow Jesus Christ/Yeshua - the Savior HE worshipped instead of worshipping him.

And there are many others similar to him in experience ..all of it showing connections with Rasta culture and Jewish culture (as well as early Christianity) in more ways than one :)

bob_marley-63.jpg

2e5th8j.jpg

For the sake of reference...

Technically I don't know of BI Jews with dreadlocks but I'm giving the benefit of the doutb that at least one of them experimented with it. I certainly am aware of the argument that Nazirites were proto-Rastas, and used to find it credible - only because I wanted to believe it, not because of any historical merit to the argument. This was at a time I was considering getting dreads myself ;)
It was never just BI Jews with dreadlocks in the form of one - and as said before, it is ignoring history to try arguing as if it was ever one rather than many. That goes beyond the dynamic of Nazirites as proto-Rastas since Rastas aren't the only one who rocked dreads...

As it is, getting dreads is really inconsequential as to what happened historically - as there are plenty who never had any desire for them in academia and yet they note the validity of what happened historically with locks being a style amongst Semitic people and other groups. If you felt personally inclined to believe in Nazarites being proto-Rastas because you wanted dreads, respectfully, that is your own experience....but it is not universal to all others:cool:

One cannot argue via selective ignoral of history and then talk on not finding historical merit - for that is not dealing consistently with the facts or what historians have long noted in the Jewish world.
I do see a point in aesthetics mind you- I love to find out as much as possible about the distinct, particular qualities of Israel. In fact it kind of saddens me to see the Temple depicted in such a Greco-Roman style. God could well have done it in that style but it seems "off."
Let's say we visualized it differently, the hairstyle and architecture and clothes and music and so on - then what
Two things..

One, although the Temple is interesting, it is not the focus in this thread when it comes to the ways it is often depicted in Greco-Roman style. It saddens me to see - but I would rather keep things focused on the hair styles predominately. ....but to your point on it, it can always be interesting when things could easily have been done a certain way and yet it is not recieved because it feels "off" to us in what we may be leaning toward.

Two, no one said discussing African features in hairstyles and dress amongst the Jews had to do with finding ways of ensuring EVERYONE saw it the same. It really does not matter whether folks visulize differently - as what was of focus was showing the historical/biblical merit in why some view things a certain way and addressing where others only portray things a certain way....and whether or not others continue to portray things as being ONE WAY only is inconsequential to discussion that focuses on how they were not.

If not interested in discussing why there are differing visualizations in history with Jewish people, then the thread is not meant for you - but if wanting to have fun discussion (fellowship ) on the ways things were and how the variations occur, that is the point :). Always has been and that was always spelled out in the OP - which I suspect you didn't really investigate fully in light of the claims made despite historical references which were noted by other Jewish organizations/historians.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
The "historical references" you mention are all pictures though, right ?

"why there are differing visualizations in history with Jewish people"

It seems we're only discussing one "visualization" though, namely that which posits them having (specifically) dreadlocks and other African features.

Incidentally the (north-Indic) Buddha is often depicted with similar hair (cornrow-esque I guess I have to call it) as shown in some of the pictures you posted. I know the Sadhus of India sometimes have dreads.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sevengreenbeans

Remember Yosef
Oct 4, 2012
New Mexico
✟16,597.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Let's say we visualized it differently, the hairstyle and architecture and clothes and music and so on - then what?

Amen, Brother...I'm with you on the temple design.

I think if we visualized ancient Israelites as diverse, ethnic, distinct peoples, it would be beneficial. This is the problem with putting images in front of peoples eyes. It becomes artistic license. One begins to visualize the ancient Israelites, or Yeshua, or Noach's family the way they have been depicted in common religious illustrations.

When one studies the culture, background, and customs of an ancient people, it becomes possible to experience a new visualization.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The "historical references" you mention are all pictures though, right ?
No - and as said before, I never go by pictures alone. What I'm concerned with is historical accounts/documentation on how things were.

There were already multiple references within the OP as well as elsewhere on what others in the world of academia/Jewish scholarship have said on the issue - via links for others wishing to investigate.

That said, I think it should be noted that pictures are not something one can dismiss simply because they don't believe something from the jump (i.e argument via personal incredulity). I don't really have a dog in the fight - as it is not something that will end the world for me if many of the Hebrews didn't have locks. Where I'm at is seeing what others have noted and seeing what history has said - and from what I've seen thus far, I don't see any reason to think the Ancient Israelites didn't practice locks in many places.

It'd be no different than if someone said that the ancient Israelites didn't all have beards - for even though scripture/history shows many that do and it's considered by many as a MUST for Hebrews to have beards, it's not something that I have to have present in order to appreciate the Israelites :) Others may feel strongly that most of them did - and see that based on what they see in history...and I can roll with that. Of course, others may differ - and that's cool as well. What matters, IMHO, is simply seeing the possibilities and study from an academic perspective.

There are plenty of Jews/Semitic people who grow their hair in locks easily and noted how it was something done in their families for generations - and historically, when pictures line up with that, it's not something that leads them to say "Well, that's fake because OTHER Jews don't do that." And when it comes to noting the many Jews/Hebrews within an African context who historians have documented as having certain practices not out of touch with how Jews acted in antiquity - in regards to historical testimony/recorded accounts - it is something I don't dismiss.

It seems we're only discussing one "visualization" though, namely that which posits them having (specifically) dreadlocks and other African features.
That's not what the OP was focused on - seeing that the visualization in focus is showing how locks/African features were not something foreign to ancient Israelites. Others looked differently as well - but the focus is on seeing the African side of things and how that was present/influenced other Hebrews as they went into other cultures.

It was noted in the OP that others could share differing thoughts of what they felt the Hebrews had based on their research since the thread was made originally as a FUN/Fellowship one - no different than having a discussion on what activities others in Messianic culture like to have...or discussing a documentary pertaining to the Bible/sharing enjoyment on it with like-minded people.:)

Incidentally the (north-Indic) Buddha is often depicted with similar hair as shown in some of the pictures you posted. I know the Sadhus of India sometimes have dreads.
Indeed - as noted in the OP, there are many in places throughout India that have practiced locks for centuries. For locks were never limited to one culture and many ethnic groups were with the ability to grow their hair in a dread style if they chose. It's one reason why many have noted that having descriptions of the Hebrews as having locks isn't problematic - for you can have visual/verbal description of how a people group was at one time and yet know that it wasn't the case that they always looked like that......or that it was EVERYONE who looked like that.

Just as it is today when people take images of Hispanics from one culture and yet don't sample them all, antiquity functioned the same way - and thus, to see descriptions of the Hebrews as having African features or locks in one setting doesn't mean they all had to look like that. It simply shows that something was more than possible/present:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Amen, Brother...I'm with you on the temple design.
I agree - as was noted elsewhere when discussion occurred on the subject..as in the thread "What did ancient Israelite/Hebrew Art look like?
I think if we visualized ancient Israelites as diverse, ethnic, distinct peoples, it would be beneficial. This is the problem with putting images in front of peoples eyes. It becomes artistic license. One begins to visualize the ancient Israelites, or Yeshua, or Noach's family the way they have been depicted in common religious illustrations.

When one studies the culture, background, and customs of an ancient people, it becomes possible to experience a new visualization
Excellent point - and that goes directly with what the OP was focused on. There was always diversity with the world of Ancient Israelities (including Samaritan culture too ;)^_^) - as there was not one style of hair that people had for ALL eras as if it was cookie cutter. It's understood that people have differing understandings on what happened based on what they may have grown up with - but when it comes to history, what often happens is that people don't start with studying the diversity that was present (i.e. dress, musical styles, hair, etc.) and then say how someone else sees it (based on one era they may've investigated) is NOT valid because it differs from their own pre-concieved idea.

When you know how varied things are, it's not hard to consider how differently they could've been...and were. This is what many Jews around the world often point out whenever they're told "You're not JEWISH!!!" becuase the image others have of being Jewish is one they saw repeatedly in the media - which often emphasized the European aspects since that was dominant at one point. But when examining history/seeing how varied others are, those same people who said someone didn't look "Jewish" based on a stereotype had to step back....and consider their perspective was limited :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sevengreenbeans

Remember Yosef
Oct 4, 2012
New Mexico
✟16,597.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Gxg (G²);63320044 said:
One, although the Temple is interesting, it is not the focus in this thread when it comes to the ways it is often depicted in Greco-Roman style. It saddens me to see - but I would rather keep things focused on the hair styles predominately. ....but to your point on it, it can always be interesting when things could easily have been done a certain way and yet it is not recieved because it feels "off" to us in what we may be leaning toward.

Two, no one said discussing African features in hairstyles and dress amongst the Jews had to do with finding ways of ensuring EVERYONE saw it the same. It really does not matter whether folks visulize differently - as what was of focus was showing the historical/biblical merit in why some view things a certain way and addressing where others only portray things a certain way....and whether or not others continue to portray things as being ONE WAY only is inconsequential to discussion that focuses on how they were not.

If not interested in discussing why there are differing visualizations in history with Jewish people, then the thread is not meant for you - but if wanting to have fun discussion (fellowship ) on the ways things were and how the variations occur, that is the point :). Always has been and that was always spelled out in the OP - which I suspect you didn't really investigate fully in light of the claims made despite historical references which were noted by other Jewish organizations/historians.

Didn't see this post until just now...won't mention the temple anymore...

Beautiful pictures...beautiful people. Very different customs of dress, hairstyles, traditions, yet all having the Torah in common.

Upvote 0

Hoshiyya

Spenglerian
Mar 5, 2013
✟24,676.00
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Well it's certainly a cool hairstyle. Not everyone is fit for it though (like myself). I'll check out your non-pictorial evidence.

Gxg (G²) I'm still wondering what the ultimate implication will be though. Let's say John the Baptist had dreads, or the Savior himself, now what ?
Don't impute cynicism onto me as a way to get out of answering - at least provide some answer to yourself and don't just brush it off. I feel like your previous reply didn't satisfy my concern in this regard. What's the potential implication of this visualization ?
Is there any ?

This is not a trap question. If the implication is small or non-existent, just clarify that. That admission wouldn't make it a worthless insight by any means.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Well it's certainly a cool hairstyle. Not everyone is fit for it though (like myself). ?
Of course dreads are not fit for everyone, just as short hair isn't fit for everyone. They discuss that in the Jewish world all the time when it comes to differing hair styles that others had for ages:)
I'm still wondering what the ultimate implication will be though. Let's say John the Baptist had dreads, or the Savior himself, now what ?
What happens if discussing that a certain dinosaur was interesting and it turns out that it wasn't really what others thought? That's inconsequential to the issue - as others discuss things they enjoy when it comes to discussing variety and what was possible. They are open to certain things, even though it's not as if their lives are lost over it - and that was already discussed earlier.:cool:

The focus was - and always has been - more so on fun/fellowship. And as said earlier, discussing what Jewish/Hebrew hair styles may have been historically and what Yeshua either had or would approve of is no different having discussions on things that occurred on the board - such as topics like Walmart Lolipops, Shavaout and icecream sundays or discussing Matisyahu in his facial hair style , discussing GMOs, discussing the plates of the planet and many other things done in fellowship:)

If Jesus didn't have dread locks, cool. He'd still be Savior regardless of hair style - whether with short hair, locks...or even bald like Elisha the prophet was^_^ He could've looked like he had Asian eyes or had a thick nose - AND YET his blood would still be the ultimate focus in life.

Nonetheless, everyone visualizes differently - and when it comes to seeing what was most likely present for the sake of accuracy/knowing, that's where discussion always comes in. It's nothing to lose sleep over just like I don't get ticked anytime I see European actors play Jesus in films I love - or tend to think of Christ looking like the man from "King of Kings" (my favorite :cool: ). But when it comes to other possibilities being present that others show Christ as and people say "He could have NEVER seemed like that", it's why discussion occurs

Don't impute cynicism onto me as a way to get out of answering - at least provide some answer to yourself and don't just brush it off. I feel like your previous reply didn't satisfy my concern in this regard. What's the potential implication of this visualization ?
This is not a trap question. If the implication is small or non-existent, just clarify that. That admission wouldn't make it a worthless insight by any means.
As said before, don't over-react or miss what was said when your answer was already dealt with - as it seemed you already went past what the OP said in full when noting the purpose - and it seemed you didn't get the answer you liked and assumed no answer was given. A disagreement on an answer isn't the same as showing something was a non-answer - nor is it a matter of having to repeat myself (as if there's a trial where something is NOW being discussed) when I've already shared my stance. I am not concerned whether a previous answer for the OP purpose satisfied you since it seems that you're reading more into things/ascribing more to it than others already have - as I have already said why the discussion was made: seeing historically what already occurred in Hebrew culture during certain times and having fun discussion on what potential hairstyles may've been present.

For serious implication, as said before, it is all about going into the theme of showing diversity in the early Israelite world just as today whenever others choose to be close-minded to certain things/attempt to say other in Jewish culture have no historical basis for what they do - but outside of that, the thread is light-hearted in nature when it comes to curiosity on what people worn their hair/dress styles on and seeing what was possible. Yeshua will always be Yeshua the Messiah and His sacrifice is what matters - as was noted earlier - but the focus is on simple discovery on what probably happened in that era.

Period.

There was another thread elsewhere on the issue where others had light-hearted fun yet also discussed facts as well on what occurred (as seen here ) - and it's really no different than discussing things for enjoyment - and if not in the thread for those purposes, then the thread is not for you. It's not a difficult concept nor something that wasn't hard to catch if reading what was said the 1st time instead of skipping over that - and the admission that you probably didn't read what was noted fully isn't something I'd be surprised by :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Didn't see this post until just now...won't mention the temple anymore...

It's all good..

Beautiful pictures...beautiful people. Very different customs of dress, hairstyles, traditions, yet all having the Torah in common.
Some of it similar to what was shared before when it came to talking on the Igbo Jews of Nigeria and others in their variations - if you recall from here :)

I always find it humorous when people get shocked saying "They can't be Jewish - they don't look the part!!!" and yet they forget the diversity and their love for Torah. Others keep on moving since they know who they are - but it is interesting :)^_^

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums