Not open for further replies.

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
Do any of you every get really, really scared about the people who don't believe? I don't mean that they'll do something to you, but afraid for them. I know, I know, we need to pray for them; that's all we can do! But, I sometimes feel so helpless that I... cry. I want to be able to explain, and I can't. I don't even care about looking stupid, but when I can't give proof, and then I get the "see, told ya' so" look... I don't know what to do. Any advice?

The next time you pray for atheists, please pray with me for my parents and family.

lionroar0

Coffee drinker
Jul 10, 2004
✟20,401.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Do any of you every get really, really scared about the people who don't believe? I don't mean that they'll do something to you, but afraid for them. I know, I know, we need to pray for them; that's all we can do! But, I sometimes feel so helpless that I... cry. I want to be able to explain, and I can't. I don't even care about looking stupid, but when I can't give proof, and then I get the "see, told ya' so" look... I don't know what to do. Any advice?

The next time you pray for atheists, please pray with me for my parents and family.

1st I would say that Catholicism has been here for 2000+yrs. So I do not know everything. I will try to explain the best that I can.

2nd I would also say that faith does not rely on conclusive proof.

3rd U are sharing ur faith.

U can witness the best that u can and pray.

:crossrc:

Peace

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others

What are you "afraid for them" about? I have lots of atheist friends, and I'm not "afraid for them" specifically because of their atheism.

Upvote 0

DarMarie

May 3, 2009
✟10,498.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hi judechild. I think the first thing we can do for atheists, agnostics and those that are of different religions, non Christians, is pray. then just be a living example of the faith. St Francis was attributed with saying,
Preach the gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.
I may be paraphrasing a bit, that is from memory.

Meaning we live the gospel. That is our first way of preaching the gospel.

When we do so with words, we do so with great love, gently, but without compromise.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DarMarie

May 3, 2009
✟10,498.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I know. And then I hope that invincible ignorance is their "protection" of sorts.
Their ignorance may very well be a "protection of sorts".
Not all atheists are ignorant though especially in the US and europe. I am only guessing though.
Our Catholic faith is different from the mainstream protestant. We know that there is hope for others.

What about those people who have didn't believe in a God, but perhaps find some indications that there may be a God but it warrants a little more looking in to.
If they where to be hit by a bus tomorrow, would they go to hell? Hmmm, food for thought.
The good thing is that we are not certain. We leave that in the hands of God and pray for the dead.

When I said are more certain of hell, I mean at least we are Christians and have the sacraments. We don't know what will happen to our Catholic parents let alone our Hindu neighbor for example. my opinion is that our faithful catholic parent is less likely to go to hell that our neighbor.

I leave all in the hands of God and pray for all.

Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟394,499.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And, by the way, my mood is NOT happy right now; I just have forgotten how to change it.

Top of the page under your Private Messages Notification, it shows your Mood "My Mood:-->Current Mood"

Click on the current mood & a drop down list will appear allowing you to change it.

Upvote 0

Caedmon

kawaii
Site Supporter
Dec 18, 2001
R'lyeh
✟49,383.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Others
I know that but someone that doesn't believe in God are much more certain of that.
I don't think an atheist is any more "certain" of going to Hell than I am "certain" of going to Hell. Noone can know or be "certain" about the future, or someone's eternal destination, not even their own. That type of predictive notion falls outside of Catholic thinking, in my opinion. I think we have a hard enough time being "certain" of our exact understanding of God, who is here with us now, much less a reality that has not, and may not, occur.

Upvote 0

DarMarie

May 3, 2009
✟10,498.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I don't think an atheist is any more "certain" of going to Hell than I am "certain" of going to Hell. Noone can know or be "certain" about the future, or someone's eternal destination, not even their own. That type of predictive notion falls outside of Catholic thinking, in my opinion. I think we have a hard enough time being "certain" of our exact understanding of God, who is here with us now, much less a reality that has not, and may not, occur.
Read the full of my posts. I agree to a point, I agree with we are not certain, whether Catholic or not.
My point was we are blessed wth the sacraments, we are blessed wth the Church and the cathecism. We have knowledge but with that knowledge we are more responsible and accountable.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,095,187.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
God loves atheists and agnostics, and holds them in the hollow of His hand. He's with them in their struggle.

They have a great challenge to overcome in their lives, but He offers the strength to them to overcome it, even if they don't seize it until the moment of death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Read the full of my posts. I agree to a point, I agree with we are not certain, whether Catholic or not.
My point was we are blessed wth the sacraments, we are blessed wth the Church and the cathecism. We have knowledge but with that knowledge we are more responsible and accountable.

You are correct. Relativism is the new compassion and love.

we know how to be saved from hell. For those who do not or disbelieve, they are in God's hands and left to His judgment.

Upvote 0

AMDG

Tenderized for Christ
May 24, 2004
Pacific Northwest, United States
✟47,022.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God loves atheists and agnostics, and holds them in the hollow of His hand. He's with them in their struggle.

They have a great challenge to overcome in their lives, but He offers the strength to them to overcome it, even if they don't seize it until the moment of death.

But we can still be afraid for them, just as we can be afraid for all people who do not have the helps (Sacraments) God lovingly intended for us al... and for those who do enjoy some of them (and those who choose to ignore them). I think that's why we pray for all.

Upvote 0

benedictaoo

Legend
Dec 1, 2007
✟72,332.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

so are you saying every atheist will seize it at the moment of death?

Upvote 0

Anhelyna

Handmaid of God
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2005
Glasgow , Scotland
✟1,300,778.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
We can always hope that atheists / agnostics will turn to the Lord but we cannot know with any degree of certainty - particularly if at the end they are unable to communicate .

However we must trust in God and ask Him to be merciful to them - and then leave it to Him.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.