Advice on how to get rid of a terrible temper.

JES1023

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Monticello MN
✟42,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
And whatsoever you do, do you heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;
Colossians 3:23

Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry; for anger resteth in thy bosom of fools.
Ecclesiastes 7:9

So before I start on the main question I can honestly say I work by best for the Lord in one sense as in doing my best that I can. But I can't say that I do it as gladly and joyfully as I should. But as I try to work joyfully to the Lord Jesus Christ as I should, my workplace will often get under my skin as I see people do a lot less and get by while as I work hard (not just me but other workers who work hard also) and do our best and the company seen to want to throw more work on us, and even let these others doing little work; to do less work. I know I should do this heartily to Christ Jesus and the Father but have nothing but problems accepting this as I do my best; just to be asked more of; while others seem to get away with very little and after this less and less.

Being in Retail I know that this happen often. But find myself to be a complete fool because of my anger. So any advice on how to bring this joyfulness back to work, would be very appreciated. How can you joyfully work unto God, when you do your best and your employer just ask more than possible?

Any advice and prayers would be much appreciated.

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution

Be not hasty in thy spirit to be angry; for anger resteth in thy bosom of fools.

So before I start on the main question I can honestly say I work by best for the Lord in one sense as in doing my best that I can. But I can't say that I do it as gladly and joyfully as I should. But as I try to work joyfully to the Lord Jesus Christ as I should, my workplace will often get under my skin as I see people do a lot less and get by while as I work hard (not just me but other workers who work hard also) and do our best and the company seen to want to throw more work on us, and even let these others doing little work; to do less work. I know I should do this heartily to Christ Jesus and the Father but have nothing but problems accepting this as I do my best; just to be asked more of; while others seem to get away with very little and after this less and less.

Being in Retail I know that this happen often. But find myself to be a complete fool because of my anger. So any advice on how to bring this joyfulness back to work, would be very appreciated. How can you joyfully work unto God, when you do your best and your employer just ask more than possible?

I'm sorry JES, i can relate. Sounds like a tough situation. Some serious prayer with a circle of prayer warriors praying for you, that God's grace covers you and channels the anger into something positive, on your behalf, is crucial here, and friends to vent to, while God continues to work out ALL things as HE promises to do.

Praying for you JES.

God bless you.

• Winner
Reactions: JES1023
Upvote 0

JES1023

Site Supporter
Apr 21, 2017
Monticello MN
✟42,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm sorry JES, i can relate. Sounds like a tough situation. Some serious prayer with a circle of prayer warriors praying for you, that God's grace covers you and channels the anger into something positive, on your behalf, is crucial here, and friends to vent to, while God continues to work out ALL things as HE promises to do.

Praying for you JES.

God bless you.

Thanks Brinny; excellent advice can't go wrong with prayer of other saints. After talking to my brother and other friends I think we can all relate some, but I have to somehow let the Holy Spirit take control of me; instead of letting my bad temper get the worse of me.

Upvote 0

Pilgrim

Praying without ceasing
Mar 26, 2017
between the pages of the Bible.
Visit site
✟200,461.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

A Prayer for Anyone With Anger

And don’t sin by letting anger control you.
Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry,
for anger gives a foothold to the devil.
Ephesians 4:26-27

Father in Heaven, Let us pray for all Your people who are afflicted with anger, suffering from anger issues, and cannot find joy and peace on their own. We can do nothing pleasing to the Father on our own, no not one thing. We all need Christ in us, so the Holy Spirit may work through us to do His ministry. We pray for healing and salvation if there's someone, anyone, who has not yet found Christ knocking at their door, that they will see beyond sinful pride, and humble themselves before the LORD, to repent and follow Jesus. We pray people will turn to God that they may find eternal and abundant love, peace, joy, and redemption in Christ Jesus. May God's will be done. In the name of the Prince of Peace. Amen.

• Agree
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
QUOTE="JES1023, post: 72086033, member: 397470"]And whatsoever you do, do you heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

[/QUOTE

Read Psalm 1, 23 and 119, for peace of mind, learning the caring Yahweh has of you and for you,
and
how to be blessed , as you learn from Him.

Peace and Joy and Righteousness does not come by working for it, any more than Salvation comes by working for it,
but all are all together at once Gifts from our Father in Heaven (not often recognized nor often received as most people never expect to receive Righteousness, Peace (that cannot be taken) and Joy (through all circumstances) .... with (nor even any other time) Salvation !

All are GIFTS freely given and without measure (flowing always from the Father to us in Christ) in Christ for ALL believers immersed in His Name, living as He Says in His Word and in Spirit.

See all this in His Word, to start to comprehend what Jesus has done for us, and what the Father has PROVIDED at once, immeasurably, freely , in Christ Jesus.

See this in His Word, partly because it is not always feasible to see this in others around us, but it is always , always, always in His Word, and His Promise He Always Keeps and Honors as we honor Him and have faith in Him and trust and rely on Him all day , every day.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Thanks Brinny; excellent advice can't go wrong with prayer of other saints. After talking to my brother and other friends I think we can all relate some, but I have to somehow let the Holy Spirit take control of me; instead of letting my bad temper get the worse of me.

I can relate. May His grace cover you, JES.

Upvote 0

salt-n-light

Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2017
Rosedale
✟165,859.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Practice grace.

Alot of times, we see everything from our lens, that we are in the right and people are in the wrong, and don't remember that we do God wrongfully everyday, and yet He still bless us with life and provision. So few tips to remind you of that:

1. Pray for your "enemies": Before going in, pray that you have a heart of servitude and that your "enemies" will have peace and have a bless day. And pray for unity of mind.

2. Walk in with scriptures: Treat the Word as your sword. I use to have a book that talks about specifically work scenarios and scriptures that addresses it. It gives wisdom as to how to approach things, how to view things, and the end goal of it. I wish i can remember the book, but basically Proverbs is the most go-to book of the Bible when it comes to operating in wisdom.

3.Be slow to speak: Try letting the other person finish speaking for a change, even if its yelling. Take time to hear what their message is and flush out the negatives (all that is emotional).Then give suggestions on how to improve or what your thoughts are. At the end of the day, most of them just wanna get the job done, sometimes they are coming out of a negative situation, so you're mindset should be of someone that just want things done and in order. If they seem aggreviated, just let them be, say "ok", and just do what you gotta do.

4. Take a breather as a prevention, not emergency: Give yourself mini periodic breaks to kinda release some of the tension, even for 1 min of closing your eyes and taking a breath.

Some will abuse your grace, and some will recognize your grace. Remember that everyone is different, people will respond differently no matter what, but your goal is to find peace in all things, and that can only come from understand the love, patience, and grace of God.

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How can you joyfully work unto God, when you do your best and your employer just ask more than possible?
Hi JES,

Working as unto the Lord is, in a way, a self-balancing concept. On one hand, we're not going to slack off when we can get away with it, because we know that Father sees what happens in secret, and rewards us according to the motivations of our heart. But there's another side to it as well. Working for the Lord means we are not subject to being pushed into overworking, or into doing things we should not be doing. In both cases, we have a higher authority. On one hand, He is the one who rewards us for doing honest work. On the other, serving Him protects us from the manipulation and abuse the world would heap on us.

One very good rule of thumb is given by the Lord, I believe when He first sent out the disciples. He said, Freely you have received; freely give. If we keep our service as freely-given as possible, we will harbor less resentment, a thing which can simmer and explode as anger with the right trigger. It may help to monitor how you feel as you do your job, and if you start to sense resentment consider if you are working freely, or under compulsion. Sometimes the concept of doing our best is mixed with a stress on performance, a compulsive need to over-perform, rather than simply doing the job right and enjoying it as we go. The best way is to practice the Presence as we work, because with that we can't go wrong. Col. 3.24 goes on to say that it is from the Lord that we will receive our true reward, not man.

HTH,
Paul

• Winner
Reactions: Sarah G
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Maybe casually mention it. Make it into something you feel is more funny than a problem/joke about it. Whatever it takes to get them thinking without making waves or even knowing you are actually complaining to them.

That may or may not help, and a time may come when you need to make waves. God is all about fairness, and there is nothing wrong with thinking our own self should be treated fairly, and taking action to make that happen.

And I know, easier said than done. Just don't make the situation worse..only you can feel it all out and act as you see fit, or ask for suggestion when the time comes to make a move.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This may be simplistic, but the answer is easy.

You.Just.Stop.

Don't let yourself cling onto excuses.

As a young girl I had a fiery temper that I was actually quite proud of. One day I was chasing a 6th grader with a tree branch and as I was gaining on him, the thought came to mind of what was going to happen to him when I clobbered him. I realized he would be hurt very badly, that hurting him was really a stupid thing to do and that I didn't want to live with the consequences for that. I put down the tree branch and stopped the chase. From that day forward my temper didn't exist. I had faced the stupidity of having one and didn't find it attractive.

I know of other people who have come to similar conclusions as adults and on the spot, they just stopped. It was an intellectual decision, when they saw that ugliness of their angry behavior. And just like that, they laid down about 90% of their anger until they were able to vanquish the rest in stages shortly afterwards.

Personally, I still can have angry thoughts when disrespected but the price of recalling what a fool I was afterwards is a large enough disincentive against speaking them aloud. I take a breath, reflect on a productive way to resolve the conflict and how my actions in this conflict would reflect a good testimony for Christ.

The world won't end if the other person has to bear your silence for a few moments while you gather yourself.... or if the situation permits, to let them know you'll think about it overnight and connect in the morning. You'll need to train yourself out of flippant, instant responses.

Preach the gospel every day. Use words only when you have to.
--(?I'm unsure of the original source of this quote, but it wasn't me.)

PS: You will not want to pursue marriage or a wife until you have conquered your anger. Anger is WORSE for marriages than infidelity is; a marriage can survive infidelity but it cannot survive anger.

PSS: Anything that feels good to say is likely not a good thing to say.

• Winner
Reactions: Kenny'sID
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums