advice needed

40dailybread

Feb 28, 2007
✟7,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have Jehovahs come to my door at least 2 x a week the one morning they almost broke my door trying to shove something in whatever space they could find.
We do respect other religions but i do not appreciate them beating on my door. They have been told we are not intersted we do not know what esle to do.
I also have a no soliciting near my door as well ,,
any suggestions ? any other signs i can put up anything?
we try to be nice but its getting a little nuts now..
i know its says to spread the word but i have lawn care people doing the same and i do not agree with solicting God...

Praising4eva

Apr 23, 2007
✟8,282.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You could try putting a sign on your door or ask to be put on their 'do not call' list. You may have to phone the Kingdom Hall that they work out of though. Or write a letter. I know telling them you are disfellowshipped from their congregation works but that would be lying ;-)

Upvote 0

40dailybread

Feb 28, 2007
✟7,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
im thinking of putting the fish sign underneath my no soliciting sign,hmm your ideas sounds good too..
we do have a neighbor down the street that is a jehovah and works with my husband hes a great guy and its cool that he knows our beliefs but he has come by our house on a few occassions though and i wouldnt want to offend him , and my hasband works with him too..
just trying to put things on my door etc that would make them move on..what do they NOT like???? THe word Jesus ??
thanks for your reply :O)

Upvote 0

CShephard53

Somebody shut me up so I can live out loud!
Mar 15, 2007
✟13,231.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I personally think there is a time to be nice and polite about things, and a time to be blunt. Put in your situation, I would not be polite and nice, I would be blunt and tell them that they are not impressing anyone by their persistance. If anything, their persistance is very off-putting. I would tell them that.
But only after they completely ignored subtle hints that you don't appreciate it, like going to their fellowship and talking with them about it or something.

Upvote 0

HisdaughterJen

Mar 8, 2007
this side of eternity
✟18,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was raised as a JW and left at 18. I used to have to go from door to door "out in service".
When people were rude or even blunt and said they were happy with their religion, it confirmed in our minds that we were in the right religion. Meaning the religion where everyone is kind and friendly and willing to talk about God with whomever will listen.
If you want to be a witness to a Jehovah's Witness, do what Jesus would do. If you want them to leave you alone, tell them that you are covered under the blood of Christ. It is His sacrifical blood that has saved you. They don't understand it and think you're talking about something occultic. tee hee
I've got lots of ideas...

Upvote 0

HisdaughterJen

Mar 8, 2007
this side of eternity
✟18,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you want to make a JW question his beliefs, bring up Enoch. They are taught that he died. Hebrews 11:5 proves that he didn't. Be prepared for this response, "I'll have to get back to you on that". Have them read the rapture passages. (1 Thess 4:13-18 & 1 Corinthians 15) They won't know what to do with those scriptures because they have never even heard of the rapture let alone the basis for the rapture.
2 Corinthians 5:1-10 will freak them out because they don't believe that you go to heaven when you die.
They have been taken on a guided tour of the Bible and they will try to take you on that tour as well.
Keep in mind that most are trying to serve God and believe whole-heartedly that they are doing so.
They do not know Jesus as we do and their salvation is in jeopardy. They are taught he is the angel Michael who has been promoted to "Son of God". Since angels are not to be worshipped, they do not worship Jesus.
Time is short...reach out to them if you can!

Edited to add: I have many family members who are still in that religion. Please, if they come to your door, show them who Jesus is and give them something to think about and hold onto... a nugget of truth or a seed that God can grow inside their hearts!

Upvote 0

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have Jehovahs come to my door at least 2 x a week the one morning they almost broke my door trying to shove something in whatever space they could find.
We do respect other religions but i do not appreciate them beating on my door. They have been told we are not intersted we do not know what esle to do.
I also have a no soliciting near my door as well ,,
any suggestions ? any other signs i can put up anything?
we try to be nice but its getting a little nuts now..
i know its says to spread the word but i have lawn care people doing the same and i do not agree with solicting God...
There are different responses to Jehovah's Witnesses. Most of all, you shouldn't avoid talking to them. If you felt like engaging them in discussion, you can certainly study up on what they believe and confront their error with scripture, calmly and factually. Unless they repent of their ways, they won't come back if you do that (as others have said, they are prepared for difficulty, even expecting it). If you didn't feel like you were ready or willing to talk, then just be polite but blunt, stating that Jesus Christ is God the Son (not just a son of God) and only by believing in His shed blood ALONE can they be saved. Then ask them never to come knocking on your door again.

Upvote 0

HisdaughterJen

Mar 8, 2007
this side of eternity
✟18,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you didn't feel like you were ready or willing to talk, then just be polite but blunt, stating that Jesus Christ is God the Son (not just a son of God) and only by believing in His shed blood ALONE can they be saved. Then ask them never to come knocking on your door again.

If I were a Witness standing at your doorstep and you just said "Jesus is God, but never come knocking on your door again", I would be left with a boat load of questions but unable to ask you about it. You'd seem very mean to me...not like you really knew God.
It'd be better to be honest and say, "I believe Jesus is God but I don't have the time to discuss it with you right now. Can we schedule an hour to discuss it another time?"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tel0004

Lost in Translation
Sep 8, 2005
Ohio
✟18,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the best way to cast doubt is using the book of Revelation.

Start off asking about Revelation 22:13, which states

I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the beginning and the end. To anyone thirsting I will give from the fountain of the water of life free.
Then tell them you are not sure who Alpha and Omega is referring to. They will tell you it has to refer to God.

So then have them read Revelation 1:8 which says

“I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga,” says Jehovah God, “the One who is and who was and who is coming, the Almighty.”
Then ask them if Alpha and Omega can possibly refer to anybody else, to which they will be more than happy to tell you its a title reserved for God himself. If you feel the need to further emphaize the point have them read revelation 21:6, and they will tell you without a doubt only God is called Alpha and Omega, to which you can happily agree, and they will be glad how easy your questions are.

Then ask them to read Revelation 22:12-15, but make sure you stop them at 15. It says
“‘Look! I am coming quickly, and the reward I give is with me, to render to each one as his work is. 13 I am the Al´pha and the O·me´ga, the first and the last, the beginning and the end. 14 Happy are those who wash their robes, that the authority [to go] to the trees of life may be theirs and that they may gain entrance into the city by its gates. 15 Outside are the dogs and those who practice spiritism and the fornicators and the murderers and the idolaters and everyone liking and carrying on a lie.’
STOP THEM THERE! They will will say, surely God is talking, it cant be anybody else.

Have them read on:
16 “‘I, Jesus, sent my angel to bear witness to YOU people of these things for the congregations. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright morning star.’”
Clearly Jesus just defined himself as the Alpha and Omega. But how can that be, they just spent the last 10 minutes explaining very clearly in no uncertain terms that ONLY God is the alpha and Omega, to which your response could be that Jesus is in fact God.
Another defense they may have is the author of that verse changed, but there is no indication of that. The only thing I can get by reading that passage is that Jesus is declaring himself to be God.

I don't think its a perfect method, but its simple as you only have to memorize the location of four verses, you can even write them down and put them in a drawer someplace if they are coming once a week. You don't need to be an expert in apologetics, and you can even let them to all the reading. If you really shake their faith or even let them know that you know what you are talking about, they will stop coming, and it is then up to the holy spirit to convict them. We never have any Jehovah's wittiness come by our house, but if we did I would apologize and tell them I had to leave for work or something and make an appointment for them to come, and when they did I would be ready.

Sorry for the long post, hope that makes sense.

PS: all quotes are from the New World Translation, I don't agree with that bible, but they believe yours has errors in it, and theirs doesn't, so let them read from their bible, since they wont believe what your bible says anyway.

Hope this helps, I think if nothing else its better than slamng a door in their face.

Upvote 0

40dailybread

Feb 28, 2007
✟7,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I like the feedback it is very helpful...ideas are great the more the merrier...as i said i understand they need to go to houses and spread the word,,,but beating on my door and trying to sqeeze stuff in there when it was hooked to the other part of my door is tresspassing to me..i have a thing called a mailbox.. maybe a no tresspassing sign is too harsh maybe they would move on..???

Upvote 0

40dailybread

Feb 28, 2007
✟7,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I was raised as a JW and left at 18. I used to have to go from door to door "out in service".
When people were rude or even blunt and said they were happy with their religion, it confirmed in our minds that we were in the right religion. Meaning the religion where everyone is kind and friendly and willing to talk about God with whomever will listen.
If you want to be a witness to a Jehovah's Witness, do what Jesus would do. If you want them to leave you alone, tell them that you are covered under the blood of Christ. It is His sacrifical blood that has saved you. They don't understand it and think you're talking about something occultic. tee hee
I've got lots of ideas...
i like that one.. im just thinking of things i can actually put on my door or near my door so they just pass by and move on.. without out house looking like shrine..
we have fish symbols. we have our cross hmmm I need something where they wont think of even knocking...that would be great..they are as pesty as those kirby people that try to push those vacuum cleaners on you...
i appreciate the advice :O)

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A rather sad realization struck me as i was reading through this Thread--

If we, as Christians, were as eager and motivated to share the TRUTH of the Gospel--the reality of the Salvation our Lord offers freely to all--with our neighbors as the Jehovah's Witnesses are to share their misguided and heretic false teachings--THE KINGDOM WOULD PROBABLY HAVE COME BY NOW.

ephraim

Upvote 0

40dailybread

Feb 28, 2007
✟7,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Actaully on many occassion.. my husband or myself have shared with them so far they will not listen they try to give us their litature and said we will come back and we say we are not intersested.
I can see once in a while but 2 x a week?
We have had mormons caome to our door and its been over a year since we have seen them..
As i said getting the message out is fine but when it comes to them practically busting my door is really pushing it...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bliz

Contributor
Jun 5, 2004
Here
✟14,830.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How about a nicely lettered sign near the knocker that says something to the effect of:

"PLEASE
do not knock on our door
or leave us literature
if you are trying to get us to
*vote for your candidate*
*buy what you are selling*
* share your religious faith*
Thank you for respecting our request."

Or, you could put up another sign with a note pad or earse board saying:

"We are most eager to learn all about
the candidate you are supporting
the product you are selling
or your religious views.

So that we may speak about these matters,
please leave your home address and phone number
on the erase board
so that we may call on you are our convenience.
Thank you."

Upvote 0

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If I were a Witness standing at your doorstep and you just said "Jesus is God, but never come knocking on your door again", I would be left with a boat load of questions but unable to ask you about it. You'd seem very mean to me...not like you really knew God.
It'd be better to be honest and say, "I believe Jesus is God but I don't have the time to discuss it with you right now. Can we schedule an hour to discuss it another time?"
JWs don't come with questions; they come with answers and a program and a cult-load of legalistic practices. The response I suggested is intended to keep them from coming around *only* which is completely scriptural (2 John 10-11 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching (that is, something other than the Gospel), do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.). You're right, it's terse and it puts them off, but that's the point - if you don't intend to try to reach out with the Gospel.

If you *do* want to engage them, then yeah, invite them in for coffee and cakes. We've done that at our house a few times and they left because we knew the Bible better than they did, and knew EXACTLY where to go to debunk their heresies.

Upvote 0

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A rather sad realization struck me as i was reading through this Thread--

If we, as Christians, were as eager and motivated to share the TRUTH of the Gospel--the reality of the Salvation our Lord offers freely to all--with our neighbors as the Jehovah's Witnesses are to share their misguided and heretic false teachings--THE KINGDOM WOULD PROBABLY HAVE COME BY NOW.

ephraim
It's how it's shared that counts. Door-to-door creates suspicion - and it should. It's how people sell vacuum cleaners and magazine subscriptions.

Sharing the Lord is most effectively done through relationships - there are those gifted in evangelism who can preach to total strangers but they are NOT the norm.

Upvote 0

HisdaughterJen

Mar 8, 2007
this side of eternity
✟18,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
JWs don't come with questions; they come with answers and a program and a cult-load of legalistic practices. The response I suggested is intended to keep them from coming around *only* which is completely scriptural (2 John 10-11 If anyone comes to you and does not bring this teaching (that is, something other than the Gospel), do not take him into your house or welcome him. Anyone who welcomes him shares in his wicked work.). You're right, it's terse and it puts them off, but that's the point - if you don't intend to try to reach out with the Gospel.

If you *do* want to engage them, then yeah, invite them in for coffee and cakes. We've done that at our house a few times and they left because we knew the Bible better than they did, and knew EXACTLY where to go to debunk their heresies.
Yes, you do have scriptural basis for turning them away in that verse.

There were many times as I went from door to door (reluctantly) that I would've liked to have heard a strong, differing opinion presented in a loving manner. It would have given me food for thought. However, I truly loved God and I would read the Bible when my mom told me to study the Watchtower so maybe I was not your normal, everyday Jehovah's Witness...

I remember once, during the service, while we were singing one of the songs out of their song book when I was an early teen, that I got caught up in the song and started singing it to God...as though I were saying the words to God and I felt something. I looked around to see if anyone else had the same experience but it was business as usual. I realize now what happened. God loves it when we praise and worship Him and He "visited" me in my spirit. It was wonderful! So, yeah, maybe I wasn't your run-of-the-mill JW. ha ha

Upvote 0

live4grace

Feb 19, 2005
Massachusetts
Visit site
✟16,917.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you do have scriptural basis for turning them away in that verse.

There were many times as I went from door to door (reluctantly) that I would've liked to have heard a strong, differing opinion presented in a loving manner. It would have given me food for thought. However, I truly loved God and I would read the Bible when my mom told me to study the Watchtower so maybe I was not your normal, everyday Jehovah's Witness...

I remember once, during the service, while we were singing one of the songs out of their song book when I was an early teen, that I got caught up in the song and started singing it to God...as though I were saying the words to God and I felt something. I looked around to see if anyone else had the same experience but it was business as usual. I realize now what happened. God loves it when we praise and worship Him and He "visited" me in my spirit. It was wonderful! So, yeah, maybe I wasn't your run-of-the-mill JW. ha ha
Hey that's a cool story. God always had His hand on your life. I do believe there are many JWs and Mormons who love God and truly have a heart that seeks after Him. I have to believe also that somehow they will come to the knowledge of the truth and be saved. As always, it's a work of the Holy Spirit. In the meantime, we pray for their release. :prayer:

Upvote 0