SF
✟8,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hi family, it’s my first post here and I would love some advice with my LDR :)

my boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years. He was an exchange student from Asia in the city where I study in Europe. We met at church and had an instant connection, but we developed our friendship for 3 months until we DTRed and officially starting dating. Since then he went back, and for most of our relationship we are LDR, but when we have breaks we visited each other and met with respective friends/families. I still have 2 more years of graduate school, and he has a bond to work for the government for 2 more years. However, we are committed and have already talked about marriage with our families.

Soo the thing is, we couldn’t meet at all in 2020 due to Covid, but right now I can potentially travel to meet him. However, I strongly felt I shouldn’t meet him in his country but a neighboring country. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve visited him there for 3 times already, or that when I visited I felt uncomfortable (I don’t have any friend/family there and I couldn’t resist when he crossed physical boundaries last times). But in the neighboring country I have many more family and friends. However, he insists that my feelings are irrational/not from God and I should get over it, since it is easier for me to travel to meet him than otherwise. Of course, if i have no other options to meet I would still travel to him, but if possible I really prefer to meet elsewhere. We’ve had some heated discussions on this and I would love to hear some godly views!

HopeToMeet

Jan 25, 2021
SF
✟8,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
And he did regret for pushing the physical boundaries and promises to honor me this time. But it’s been over a year since we last saw each other, I’m not certain we are strong enough to resist the temptations. His church leaders aren’t very involved in our struggles etc, so I just don’t feel very safe.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,249.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

my boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years. He was an exchange student from Asia in the city where I study in Europe. We met at church and had an instant connection, but we developed our friendship for 3 months until we DTRed and officially starting dating. Since then he went back, and for most of our relationship we are LDR, but when we have breaks we visited each other and met with respective friends/families. I still have 2 more years of graduate school, and he has a bond to work for the government for 2 more years. However, we are committed and have already talked about marriage with our families.

Soo the thing is, we couldn’t meet at all in 2020 due to Covid, but right now I can potentially travel to meet him. However, I strongly felt I shouldn’t meet him in his country but a neighboring country. I don’t know if it’s because I’ve visited him there for 3 times already, or that when I visited I felt uncomfortable (I don’t have any friend/family there and I couldn’t resist when he crossed physical boundaries last times). But in the neighboring country I have many more family and friends. However, he insists that my feelings are irrational/not from God and I should get over it, since it is easier for me to travel to meet him than otherwise. Of course, if i have no other options to meet I would still travel to him, but if possible I really prefer to meet elsewhere. We’ve had some heated discussions on this and I would love to hear some godly views!
Is it possible for him to meet you in that other country? Is it merely inconvenient for him to do so, or is there a good reason why he cannot travel right now?

Upvote 0

DiscipleHeLovesToo

Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2010
✟77,537.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Asian customs can differ significantly from what we see in the US, so be careful - i'd say stick to your idea and have him meet you where there are family and friends.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Heavenhome

Site Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I definitely would never go anywhere that you feel uncomfortable about going.

And to be perfectly honest I wouldn't be contemplating overseas travel of any sort with Covid19.
Your safety comes first.

Upvote 0

HopeToMeet

Jan 25, 2021
SF
✟8,391.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Thank you family for the replies and advice ❤️ We prayed and talked it through. If circumstances allow, he is willing to travel to meet as well. The borders are still tight, so I’m waiting for the best time ☺️ Thank God though for the agreement!

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Daniel Marsh

Jun 28, 2015
Livingston County, MI, US
✟199,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Tell him to met you there at the home of your wisest relative or dump him. Is LDR Latter Day Saints Reformed? If he loves you, he will do so. If not, there is a bigger problem that dumping him will solve.

If so, how does your doctrines compare to the Utah LDS doctrines?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums