advice for cousin whos getting cheated on

fields316_2000

Jan 6, 2004
✟1,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
it's a long story so let me set this up with bullet points.

- cousin was the head of music/praise and worship with wife of 14 years

-found out not only she was bisexual , but smoking weed, drinking and cheating. when he found out about the cheating, she flew out of state to see new boyfriend who lives out of state.

- she is no longer in church , has new tattoos and basically drugs and partying is her lifestyle

now, what i've spoken to her about her actions and the family and all that. the church has also. she's determined to get a divorce and move out of state.
my cousin is determined to 'win her back' despite the fact she told him it's over and has tattoos on her back of the other mans name.

he's angry when i tell him to move on, theres more out there- tells me that his faith is different than mine and has surrounded himself with people that will tell him what he wants to hear. i just tell him to focus on his kids and securing them legally so she cant kidnap them. he seems to think that going to get anything done legally is questioning his faith and compromising his prayers.

he flip flops on his emotions - one min he's hard and going through with divorce and focusing on god , afraid of standing up for himself because he thinks that god will be angry with him. on the other hand he lets her control him gives her money flowers and lets her come and go, when he's feeling down.

what should be done? i've done all i can to really help him with advice and direct him - he asks me the same questions over and over and over again..then argues with me like im his wife or something..she told me that she wants me to be there for him because he's going to implode when this doesnt work the way he wants

fields316_2000

Jan 6, 2004
✟1,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i 'll tell him he needs to vent or cry i'll be there but he is nearly borderline insane with how much he talks about how shes coming back.

he said that if she was ever saved, god will convict her, and in order to be right with god she has to come home..then states he'll even take her back if she was pregnant. wow.
i asked him why her, if biblically he can choose again and move on..he said no and will wait forever.
im now avoiding him becuase im tired of him not listening

Upvote 0

joey_downunder

big sister
Apr 25, 2009
Land Down Under
✟12,875.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Yes you are in a difficult situation. I don't think you can do any more than what you have done. Has your cousin seen any counsellors yet? Perhaps he needs professional advice now.

Years ago my Mum kept on doing the same to me. My parents were in the middle of breaking up due to HER cheating on him. I would dread that car pulling up on the driveway. The one thing that kept me going was me praying to God for His wisdom in case I made things worse. I often had scenes played out in my mind where I would "let her have it and tell her what I really thought" but totally different words kept on coming out.

I wish I could say that things were all sorted out after that.... but like my Mum your cousin will have to live with the consequences. We can't save them from themselves. All I can say is go to God for strength and wisdom and pray that His will be done in your cousin's life.

Upvote 0

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
When people go off drugging and drinking you can't stop them because they are doing it to themselves and they will keep doing it until it doesn't work anymore. She's lost and in God's hands. The best advice for the guys is to move on with his life. But he probably won't do that because he was probably putting up with the signs of this stuff going on when he was married. He probably enabled her to a degree without even realizing it. So now he deals with the stages of grief. Try to be there for him. Go out with him once a week or so to dinner or a movie or fix the sink. Whatever. Just be there to listen and talk with as he works through this.

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
image002.jpg

Do you see your cousin on this model? Understanding where he is at and where he needs to go next should direct how you "help" him. Thing is, he has a process in front of him and he does have to go through all the steps. Much as we might intellectually try and skip something, as humans we find ourselves going through the full range.

Upvote 0

fields316_2000

Jan 6, 2004
✟1,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
She has been sneaking around for months flying back and forth to virgina . They've officially been seperate for 2 months now. He's not on the time tabke because he's not accepting what shes saying and says god is going to change her heart so he isnr taking her seriously

Upvote 0

Macx

Aug 7, 2007
Twin Cities, Whittier-hood
✟7,657.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
She has been sneaking around for months flying back and forth to virgina . They've officially been seperate for 2 months now. He's not on the time tabke because he's not accepting what shes saying and says god is going to change her heart so he isnr taking her seriously

Sounds like denial. Can you help him find some ways to express his anger, that won't get anyone hurt or dead? You know anger is coming up next, just as soon as he runs out of denial. It'd be good to get soemthing in place before "anger" comes around on the guitar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Sounds like denial. Can you help him find some ways to express his anger, that won't get anyone hurt or dead? You know anger is coming up next, just as soon as he runs out of denial. It'd be good to get soemthing in place before "anger" comes around on the guitar.

He could key his car or kick him in the shin.

Upvote 0

fields316_2000

Jan 6, 2004
✟1,680.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
i had been through this last year and he was the main one telling me that i need to move on, stop asking questions and he was very condecending toward me. only my ex was letting her new man drive my car spend my money while i was having surgery..after that i was kicked out of my house. i snapped at him today asking WHAT is his big fear or problem. he has his home that she already said he can have, he is left with the kids so he has full custody, nothing being taken away ., shes' just trying to move on with her life..and hes acting like hes being robbed. i was really upset to the point that i excused myself from talking. he needs to buck up and be a man but he's still not there and im tired of talking about the same old thing

Upvote 0

TigerKanga

Nov 3, 2010
✟854.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
i had been through this last year and he was the main one telling me that i need to move on, stop asking questions and he was very condecending toward me. only my ex was letting her new man drive my car spend my money while i was having surgery..after that i was kicked out of my house. i snapped at him today asking WHAT is his big fear or problem. he has his home that she already said he can have, he is left with the kids so he has full custody, nothing being taken away ., shes' just trying to move on with her life..and hes acting like hes being robbed. i was really upset to the point that i excused myself from talking. he needs to buck up and be a man but he's still not there and im tired of talking about the same old thing

People handle such things differently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums