• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Advanced Migrating Religious OCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkyCloud

May 12, 2007
California
Visit site
✟15,225.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
First of all, I changed the title of this post from "Advanced Migrating Religious OCD" to what it is now on this page because I believe it's more accurate. (I don't believe OCD necessarily "advances".)

Hello and thank you for reading this. I don't know where to begin. I can write an entire volume of what's happend in my life with religious OCD. I haven't found anybody with my particular problems. Please let me know if you've experienced this. Let me try to condense everything.

I'm 40 years old, and I've had all kinds of religous OCD problems including repeating parts of prayers or reading parts of the Bible over and over, etc. I can go on and on and on. I've suffered with religious OCD for a little more than half my life. My OCD problems seem countless, sometimes with many different ones changing and evolving in just one day. I can't express how it's debilitated me mentally at times. It can be with me 24 hours a day which means that I dream of it too, and keep waking up because of it, and in the morning when I wake up to start the day, I realize that it's not a dream, and it feels like I'm living a real and true nightmare. I'm trying to find a job, and I'm afraid I won't be able to concentrate because I have this enormous weight on me.

Let me jump to what's happening to me now, which is one of the worst times ever. One of the worst problems with me is if I have to repeat something to someone, and it doesn't work out right for some reason. That's what's happening to me now.

I'll make this long story short. I mentioned a semi-spiritual phrase or sentence to a man from church. He was eating at the time. Something told me that he probably didn't hear me because he was eating. I tried to forget it, and I did forget it for a long time, but my conscience still had it deep in my mind. I started studying a book regarding a sort of career I wanted to go into. After a month of studying, the memory and the anxiety of the "phrase repeating" came back. I tried to ignore it, but it got stronger. I felt I had two choices. I could ignore it, but the anxiety and depression and distress and lack of concentration would continue for I don't know how long, maybe forever. Or I could repeat the phrase to him again when he wasn't eating.

I decided to repeat the phrase to him after Sunday service. Something told me this wasn't the right thing to do, but if it worked, I knew I would be free. By this time, the phrase doubled in size. After church, he had a cup in his hand and he was eating something out of it. I asked him to put it down. He said, "What?" I told him, "That's okay. Just listen to me." So he held the cup in his hand and he listened to what I had to say. I repeated the long phrase to him and I hoped that took care of it. When I was driving home, something told me, "He still had a cup in his hand, and he almost grabbed the spoon to eat when you were talking." But he didn't eat when I was talking to him.

Low and behold, instead of the problem getting better, it got worse for me. I became severely anxious, depressed, fearful, unable to concentrate, confused, tormented, etc. I'm tormented continuously, 24 hours a day. Even when I sleep, I wake up by this feeling. I feel that the way out it not to tell him anymore. He heard me both times. I know that's the truth. Yet I'm tormented by the perfection that says, "Tell him one more time, but make sure he's not eating this time." And this cycle can continue if something isn't perfect if I told him the phrase again. Or if things are perfect enough, then I would be free.

Anyway, I want anybody to respond and post any thoughts you have. But I want to tell you all something in general. I'm a veteran of religious OCD. I'm a 40-year-old guy who's been raised in church all my life. I know all the scriptures, I've cast all my cares on Jesus, I've rebuked the OCD, I've rebuked evil, I've fasted, I've prayed, I've had faith, etc. I don't know what else to do other than taking my medication, Zoloft, which I started two weeks ago. A year and a half ago when I first took Zoloft, it took a month to work, but it seemed to work. I tried to be off of it as long as I could but I'm two weeks back on.

Please pray for me and post any thoughts you have. Has anyone else gone through a problem like this such as repeating something to someone?

God Bless You All.

Dan

P.S. One thing I want to add is that sometimes I feel better, and that makes me think that my OCD is probably caused by another "undiscovered" factor like stress or a chemical imbalance.

marcb

May 4, 2006
California
✟8,123.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I don't know what else to do other than taking my medication, Zoloft, which I started two weeks ago. A year and a half ago when I first took Zoloft, it took a month to work, but it seemed to work.

I think that is the best start to feeling well.
Yes, it takes at least a month for SSRI's (Zoloft, lexapro,etc.) to really kick in. I found with my doctor's guidance that I had to be on 40mg's of Lexapro. It was a steady build up. Are you consulting your doctor as you re-start your meds?

I tried to be off of it as long as I could but I'm two weeks back on.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't know if you should "try" to stay off meds, unless they are causing problems or that your doctor suggests you should stop for some reason. I say this especially in light of your comment that they seemed to work. I think some of us here feel comfortable with the fact that we may be on meds permanently.

Please pray for me and post any thoughts you have. Has anyone else gone through a problem like this such as repeating something to someone?

God Bless You All.

DM

(I signed with two of my three initials because no one from my church knows about this, and I feel it would make things harder for me if they knew.)

That's up to you. I am fairly open about it at church and have people pray for me. I don't put it in the bulletin ;) , but being open has helped me get it out and see ocd for what it really is. "...for everything exposed by the light becomes illumined for what it is and everything illumined is light." Ephesians 13-14 -[maybe somewhat out of context, but I like it for my ocd "exposure."]

I think most people can relate to ocd and even unwanted thoughts. Everybody has them. The difference is we are sensitized to them, overanalyze them, and obsess over them.

</IMG>

Upvote 0

SkyCloud

May 12, 2007
California
Visit site
✟15,225.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Thanks for your help, Frank and Marc, and anyone who may reply on this thread.

To answer your question, marc: No, I didn't consult with my doctor again. I know that would be the best thing to do, but money's tight, and nothing has changed since I first took Zoloft a year or more ago. As far as being on meds permanently, I realize that may be my best option, but simply put, I never liked being on meds, especially permanently. I'm always hoping God will cure me or help me get better by eating healthier, etc.

And thanks for your encouragement to be more open about my OCD. I re-signed my original post above with my name. I also figured that whoever reads my post deserves to know my name.

Thanks and God Bless.
Dan

Upvote 0

gracealone

Apr 5, 2007
Michigan
✟18,349.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
HI Dan,
Ditto to all that Marc said. He gives great advice.
I hate being on meds. too. I'll tell you why though. I think it's because I'm proud. I have this.. oh you can handle this, fix it yourself, tough it out attitude. Not terribly bright or terribly helpful to myself or to others who need to take meds. I'm always thinking.. as soon as the stress lets up, I'll go off the meds. Sometimes we can and sometimes we have to take them long term. I also have to take BP meds. and Cholesterol meds. . Both those things can be minimized too by adapting a healthier lifestyle. So why don't I feel bad about taking them? I think it's because more people can relate to the need for those meds. than for the need to take meds. for an anxiety disorder.
I hope you get to feeling much better soon.
We should thank the Lord for medicine that helps us feel better. I figure if the meds. help than obviously they are needed.
Praying for you, Dan.
Mitzi

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.