Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Are there any parents here whose children have been diagnosed with ADHD? We have a room for it here on CF but it's not visited very much.

We're having a VERY rough week over here. My parents were here last weekend and structure was out the window. Ever since it's been like things are completely out of control. You know how some days are just worse than others? I'm caught up in a string of those days, and I'm beat. I'm getting frustrated and my patience is paper thin.

Are there any more out there? Can anyone relate?

Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We are not officially diagnosed and I may not go through with an official diagnosis unless things are no longer manageable without meds. We have been in open dialogue (sp?) with the doctor about Bear's behavior since she was 2. Along with structure, which kills a little bit of me inside, dietary changes have helped us heaps with her. It is like two different children between the days when we are on top of the diet and schedule versus days when that all goes out the window.

I can totally relate. :hug:

Upvote 0

Laurie919

Apr 4, 2007
Louisiana
✟13,685.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I was going to be one of those moms who would never medicate their kid. I really thought that people only did that because they didn't want to be bothered with their kids.

Then I had an ADHD child. We would go to dance and all the other kids were calm waiting their turn, not Taylor she was climbing the walls.

Still in denial I spent the thousand dollars and had her tested. Yes, she is very ADHD.

The doctors put her on stratera, it is the non stimulant medication they can take. It works great. A couple times we tried other meds and they didn't work at all.

She does really well on what she takes. It has been a life saver.

Upvote 0

Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
We are not officially diagnosed and I may not go through with an official diagnosis unless things are no longer manageable without meds. We have been in open dialogue (sp?) with the doctor about Bear's behavior since she was 2. Along with structure, which kills a little bit of me inside, dietary changes have helped us heaps with her. It is like two different children between the days when we are on top of the diet and schedule versus days when that all goes out the window.

I can totally relate. :hug:
Can I ask which changes you made in diet? I have been playing with a couple of things but am still SO early in the process, I haven't made any huge changes yet because I'm still testing consistencies.

Our day has perked up a little bit, but for the most part I just feel...inadequate. We've had a few really good weeks, this I guess was coming, but holy cow, it's kicking my butt.

Upvote 0

sparassidae

In Christ Alone
Apr 3, 2007
Sydney, Australia
✟18,403.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We never went for a diganosis either, but from reading the books my son shows most of the signs of hyperactive-impulsive ADHD (not inattentive, which does make life a bit easier)

Our life changed dramatically when we started the failsafe diet. Basically cutting out most of the additives and keeping salicylate levels very low.

It doesn't make him perfect, but it does make him manageable.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2005
✟19,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can I ask which changes you made in diet? I have been playing with a couple of things but am still SO early in the process, I haven't made any huge changes yet because I'm still testing consistencies.

Our day has perked up a little bit, but for the most part I just feel...inadequate. We've had a few really good weeks, this I guess was coming, but holy cow, it's kicking my butt.
We are very low on processed foods. We've eliminated dairy from her diet, food coloring and really watch refined sugar intake. It is like night and day for us. Challenging but we're getting it now. The challenge has been worth it beyond words.

Like sparasside mentioned the changes did "fix" the issues but made them much more manageable.

Upvote 0

Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm going to look into changing her diet.

Do they normally cycle? We'll have a few really good weeks and then a few really rough weeks. Not sure if that's normal, but it seems to be normal for us. I'm just having so much difficulty right now with her obedience and attention, it seems like she's getting worse right now.

Upvote 0

marezee

cheeriokeeper
Apr 5, 2007
✟34,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
my neighbor has a three yr old with attention problems...not diagnosed though.
She completely changed his diet to exclude processed foods and gluten. She also started him on probiotics.
he has done a complete 360!! His attention is better and he is focusing and following direction! it's quite impressive. this has been only over the course of 2-3 months!

Upvote 0

Leanna

Just me
Jul 20, 2004
✟24,278.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this thread is depressing to me today.... David may be adhd.... we've cut out dairy, haven't seen a difference.... there is no way I could do gluten.... I mean I just can't imagine making some of these dietary changes, dairy has seemed so difficult to me .... what counts as "processed" foods? I don't know if we eat those to begin with, or not.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

for Thy greater honor and glory
Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I was ADD (diagnosed in adulthood, but suspected to have always been). My parents did not manage it well at all and didn't even delve into it with me until I was 18. I advise doing SOMETHING... ANYTHING... is way better than nothing. That said, it gets easier as an adult. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been great for this and my bipolar.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

marezee

cheeriokeeper
Apr 5, 2007
✟34,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
this thread is depressing to me today.... David may be adhd.... we've cut out dairy, haven't seen a difference.... there is no way I could do gluten.... I mean I just can't imagine making some of these dietary changes, dairy has seemed so difficult to me .... what counts as "processed" foods? I don't know if we eat those to begin with, or not.
hugs leanna! it is a difficult thing to do, especially when you have other children who don't have any problems.

Processed foods are things like boxed or bagged foods that are pre-cooked, i.e., mac & cheese, foods w/lots of preservatives and dyes.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
hugs leanna! it is a difficult thing to do, especially when you have other children who don't have any problems.

Processed foods are things like boxed or bagged foods that are pre-cooked, i.e., mac & cheese, foods w/lots of preservatives and dyes.
anything that can live longer on a shelf than you can go without food is generally processed :)

Upvote 0

Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I was ADD (diagnosed in adulthood, but suspected to have always been). My parents did not manage it well at all and didn't even delve into it with me until I was 18. I advise doing SOMETHING... ANYTHING... is way better than nothing. That said, it gets easier as an adult. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy has been great for this and my bipolar.
Thank you for chiming in!! I would truly love to hear ANYTHING more from your perspective on this.

I guess my biggest challenge right now (besides the small day-to-day things) is learning my child. I need to know her limits so I can teach her to grow in them. This is all so new, and I feel as if I have NO idea what I'm doing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
but but... you have to do better than that.... what about bread? if I buy sliced bread at the store, is that processed? ground beef? frozen veggies? crackers in a box?
frozen stuff, not so much... I think it goes along with not being able to read the ingredients in an intelligent fashion (if it takes too long to figure out how it's supposed to sound, probably shouldn't ingest it) :)

I meant shelf stuff... like hamburger helper or canned stuff. Bread is likely carrying preservatives as well. You can get fresh bread at the bakery that doesn't.

I don't cut all this out completely, just try to reduce it alot (getting bread every two days is a pain)

Upvote 0

marezee

cheeriokeeper
Apr 5, 2007
✟34,667.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
maybe we should start a thread on that!!

I think sliced bread is processed if it has been refined.
i go for the whole grain breads and crackers.
frozen veggies are not processed if the ingredients are just the veggies.
hamburger....well, just use your judgement there. buy organic or something.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for chiming in!! I would truly love to hear ANYTHING more from your perspective on this.

I guess my biggest challenge right now (besides the small day-to-day things) is learning my child. I need to know her limits so I can teach her to grow in them. This is all so new, and I feel as if I have NO idea what I'm doing.
have whomever looks at her, look for accompanying problems... like my bipolar... that helps alot... when you treat one problem, the other becomes WAY less severe. There are common "pairs" in any neurologic condition.

Also, understand and be sympathetic, but don't let it become a crutch or excuse for not being able to do things. She CAN do things... and you have to let her know that she can, or she won't.

Upvote 0

Manna

Jul 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
✟6,265.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think that's exactly it. I don't see this as a handicap for her, I see it as something that she needs to (and will, because she has a terribly stubborn mama) overcome. I know that I need to know what her limitations are. At this age and stage I need to be able to recognize when she's about to hit meltdown level so that I can walk her through it and teach her how to respond appropriately. I feel that if I just enable her, I might as well have ignored her for all the help it does.

I'm reading a really good book right now, Understanding Girls with ADHD. It opens with a poem entitled "What I Wish My Mother Had Known." What you wrote in your first post, E&RM, made me think of it.

Upvote 0

Meshavrischika

Jun 12, 2007
OK
✟43,103.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I think that's exactly it. I don't see this as a handicap for her, I see it as something that she needs to (and will, because she has a terribly stubborn mama) overcome. I know that I need to know what her limitations are. At this age and stage I need to be able to recognize when she's about to hit meltdown level so that I can walk her through it and teach her how to respond appropriately. I feel that if I just enable her, I might as well have ignored her for all the help it does.

I'm reading a really good book right now, Understanding Girls with ADHD. It opens with a poem entitled "What I Wish My Mother Had Known." What you wrote in your first post, E&RM, made me think of it.
My mom was too wrapped up in her own mental illness to see me in my problems. She's benefitting if from nothing else, than you SEE her for what and who she is and aren't distracted by yourself. That, in itself, will be ALOT in her progress to dealing.

Upvote 0