• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Addiction

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
This is probably one of the more serious postings since I have been here. Hopefully it doesn't violate some rule.

Most of us who have to take daily routine of you name it, know or have been told by our doctors that it most likely will be for life and that there is no doubt about dependence. Some have found ways to not have to go there for others they have had to step up to surgically installed pumps for constant measured dosage. There are many who don't "get it" and will throw the faith thing in your face.

New International Version (©1984)
Stop drinking only water, and use a little wine because of your stomach and your frequent illnesses.

Of course I am not suggesting that anyone turn to alcohol but...

New International Version (©1984)
Give beer to those who are perishing, wine to those who are in anguish;New Living Translation (©2007)
Alcohol is for the dying, and wine for those in bitter distress.

Luke was a doctor, the prescribing of what ever was available to reduce human suffering is to be seen as a gift from God and not something to be ashamed of...in my humble opinion.

I am all too aware of the abuse of pharmaceuticals legal and other wise. The abuse of alcohol and so on but I have had pastors double down on this issue, usually those that no little of physical suffering, and lay on the guilt and disqualify many from service.

My mother passed away last week...her suffering over the last couple of years was tough...the end was...well...she didn't want the respirator while conscious. Once the respirator was off she left us in less than a day. I fear dieing in that much pain and duress and wonder about the heroic efforts we make at the end. In the same week my step brother had his appendix out and refused pain meds and was absolutely useless to my step dad because of his fear of meds...these rep 2 extremes to me.

Now, having said all that, some of us look to try to escape from the grind of our struggle while others have those personalities that are quit steady. The point of this post is to try and hold myself accountable for addiction.

I spend way too much time playing online coop games to escape and fill in the gap of no friends...suido fellowship. Though dependent on my meds for relief I don't abuse them...by the grace of God and fully aware of that and thankful.

If you wish to post and deal with something, simple post that you wish to be accountable and I recommend NOT even saying what it is...just post weekly how you are doing and if you need prayer.

The church in America has little or no accountability for the members of the body and THAT issue would cover a multitude of sins.

Feel free to tell me if you think I am off my nut...lol

One day at a time

Always in a state of change.....
Apr 26, 2009
sitting in my recliner--I'm sure!
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have recently been asked by my dad if I was addicted to my meds.....by husband responded for me before I even had a chance......"how can she not, she's been on them for 3 years!".
So the question is.....am I really an addict? I take what I need and no more.....I don't take them in the middle of the night, when in all actuality I could, since I never sleep a full nights sleep.....
So I guess that is my question..I don't want to be on these forever but if I need them for pain what am I to do?

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I may be splitting hairs with this one but in my mind addition comes from abuse and dependance comes with need beyond our control. I think as long as a person is cognizant of the dangers and is concerned to the point of being careful and has not move into an attitude of complacency then the word "addiction" is not applicable.

My spending too much time online...well, having a hard time letting go of the suido fellowship of the game community and there for I have to admit addiction but I am aware that God is not pleased with that waste of time and I am moving towards a resolution of the problem.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks Pumanator......I know we had a thread on here about addiction before and someone saying if you are in pain and taking pain killers how is that addiction or something like that......so I guess I just wasn't quite prepared for my husband to just jump in with yeah she's addicted .....

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
man that ones rough...addiction, dependance need for relief...even those that love us and support us sometimes put their foot in it. My wife deals with chronic pain from a head on collision she survived years ago and "gets it" but it took that for her too, which in itself stinks. It concerns me that your other half sees it that way. just an idea but maybe send him to Joni Ericksons web site for a little education. Not only does she reach out to all people with all levels of issues as we find here in our little forum area but the family of those suffering as well. If you don't know her story check it out at her site. She loves the Lord and has done truly amazing things for Him even with being a quad.
Joni and Friends I don't recommend sites too often but her ministry to us (invisible disabilities) and just about any issue of this nature is quite wide in its scope.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We ended up having a conversation about it and he said he wasn't meaning anything bad about it....he knows that I need the medication and as soon as it is possible I will try and get off of it...it's just that I had to go stronger this time because I'm already use to the other. I do know about Joni and friends and the great job that they are doing.
I got to go to church this morning and of course the first thing said "you look good"..... I just don't get the comment....it's always been my pet peeve since what am I to look like since it's all in my back anyway......(my son and I tried to have a conversation about it)....so I don't know where that leaves me......

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
I have gotten to the point where I just don't care what anyone thinks and Lord help them if they "feel" lead to admonish me about my joyless appearance...I just can't put on a show and say just how "wonderful" it all is. I think we would rather just have ppl understand have some patience...I would like nothing more than to have a little joy in my heart and know some peace of mind as to where I am and will no doubt be going in the future...you seem to handle this better than I so I probably am not the best sounding board >.< hehe, anyway, hang in there and know that you are in our prayers.

Upvote 0

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for your prayers I appreciate it! I do have the ability to go in smiling and it seeming as if nothing is the problem....so I guess I shouldn't get peeved if someone says you look good....but it seems that I only let my family see what I truly feel and even then I try not to show too much....especially if I moan and groan.....I'm still under the fact that I feel like I need to be superwomen! What a mess I am!! I'm glad I can at least say it to you! :). I know you understand this mad little world in which we live!!

Upvote 0

Auntie

THANK YOU JESUS!!
Apr 16, 2002
Visit site
✟27,878.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi there Odaat and pumanator! :hug: :hug: I wouldn't worry too much about getting addicted or even a dependance. If a medicine helps you to function better, how is that any different than a diabetic taking insulin?

A personal story: I got "addicted" to klonopin by accident. I didn't read the directions on the bottle, and I thought I was supposed to take it every day. I was supposed to take it "as needed".:doh: After a couple weeks of taking it every day, I missed a day, and had some withdrawal symptoms. I didn't know anything about klonopin, didn't know it could be addicting.

At that point, I emptied the bottle on a plate and cut the pills in halves and quarters. Week one: I took 3/4 dose. Week two: I took 1/2 dose. Week 3: I took 1/4 dose. Week 5: I took 1/8 dose, a crumb really. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms at all. I think you could do the same thing with most pain medications, which tells me, it's not a true "addiction".

Upvote 0

seajoy

Senior Veteran
Jul 5, 2006
michigan
✟19,053.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
I take meds for my fibro nearly every day - but not all day - but I do like to have a few hours each day where the edge is off of my pain. That's not addiction - it's caring for one's self. People who don't have chronic pain, really should not be saying anything about our meds. Guilt trips are cruel. I'm glad my pastor is not that way.
Good thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Fangtastic

plays with logs
Feb 7, 2005
Atomic Space Someplace
✟9,950.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm sorry you went through the loss of a parent. Mine's still fresh so know I feel that sorrow with ya. If I'm addicted to my meds I'm addicted to my meds. I don't blink an eye about it anymore.

Upvote 0

pumanator

Veteran
Aug 1, 2005
✟10,032.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry for your loss. Went to my step pop's this weekend and took my new guitar. We played together, he plays manolin, for a while until he got tired. The visits are a big help to him but my mom being gone is still seems surreal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

One day at a time

Apr 26, 2009
✟73,355.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I know it's been a while since we have talked about it but I thought I would share a recent dr.'s appointment with you.

I was referred to a pain management and while I was there I made the comment that I didn't want to be addicted to anything. And he said to me that did I in the pass before everything happen ever smoke, drink or abuse drugs...I told him I didn't. He said that I did not have an additive personality and the likelihood of me being addicted is unlikely. He said that yes, if I were to stop, I would have withdrawls but that that is not because I was addicted to them just the way the body handles it.
I thought that was great to have it said and said in front of my husband so that he could here it and understand it.
I was also diagnosed with fibromyalgia (which I thought that I had for over 15 years now)...so he was able to give me some relief with that! Praise the Lord.
I'm getting used to the medicine but can definitely tell that it has given me more energy throughout the day. :clap:

Upvote 0