Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
An allegory can be a real event that teaches us some overarching truth.
Or some overarching truth that tells us about a real event or person, place, thing, (reality) or truth, or otherwise real thing...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
And Jesus is not an allegory,

Really.... let me play the devil's advocate for a second.. would ya?

How do you know that Jesus is not allegorical and Mythical?

What difference, between the story of the flood, Jonah and the fish, the story of Job, the 6 literal days of creation... and other things that people just cannot accept that were real events....and the life, death and resurrection of Christ?

They are all in scripture... different books and chapters.... different time periods... all are super natural....

What gives?

I'll tell ya.... the only thing that changes... the only thing that makes people say that Christ is real.... the only reason that they will toss all the events of the bible out into the world of "fairy tails" except the life of Christ.... one thing...

Their eternal life of their soul depends on it.... PERIOD.

People hold on to that part of the bible.. like it is as real as the Super Bowl....

When... in all reality... all of the Bible is just as real, just as solid, just as truthful....

It is sad.. but true.. that Christians are arguing over whether Adam and Eve were real people.

I'm sure that Christ is up there with tears in His eyes and shaking His head....

Reactions: Neogaia777
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

What difference, between the story of the flood, Jonah and the fish, the story of Job, the 6 literal days of creation... and other things that people just cannot accept that were real events....and the life, death and resurrection of Christ?

They are all in scripture... different books and chapters.... different time periods... all are super natural....

What gives?

I'll tell ya.... the only thing that changes... the only thing that makes people say that Christ is real.... the only reason that they will toss all the events of the bible out into the world of "fairy tails" except the life of Christ.... one thing...

People hold on to that part of the bible.. like it is as real as the Super Bowl....

When... in all reality... all of the Bible is just as real, just as solid, just as truthful....

It is sad.. but true.. that Christians are arguing over whether Adam and Eve were real people.

I'm sure that Christ is up there with tears in His eyes and shaking His head....
Logic says that Jesus was a real person, there are other records besides the Bible that testify to Jesus being a real person at that time, even some, doing what he was doing... There is a lot of proof...

And when you have to accept that he was a real person, then you wonder about maybe accepting some other things about him as well, and then, well, who knows...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

I really do sincerely feel like I'm following the evidence...? But, is that faith...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what, if anything, in the Bible, is real..

So far:

1/ Adam and Eve... allegory.
2/ Literal 6 days... allegory.
3/ World wide flood... allegory.
4/ Nephilime offspring of Humans/Angel Hybrid.... incorrect... was Seth's kids.
5/ No rapture
6/ Tribulation is happening today.

What is left for us to determine as real.... Let's hope that the Gospel and the life of Christ is real....

But it's all real. All of it.

Utterly real.

And that's regardless of what is metaphor and what concrete, or what mix of the two. For instance the parables are about the most central and real truths of existence, life. More true than general knowledge we think of as 'fact'.

(for instance, I've directly measured the speed of light in a sophomore physics lab, and I'm especially confident in the factual reality of number for the speed of light in a vacuum to high precision, so that's a very strong fact to me. But the truths Christ tells me in the parables are more essentially crucial and reliable and solid and real. I know what He says will happen. While there could be in contrast some quirk about the speed of light we don't understand yet, His truths I can feel more confident in even more than Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism. God could decide to toss this physics, and Maxwell's equations with it, next week. But Christ's words will be true literally forever.)

-----
(btw, just my view, but I would not assume #5 is correct. Nor #6, though I don't know for sure whether we could be near the beginning moments or lead in)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When talking with nonbelievers I do not press the point about Adam and Eve being real, since the main points of the story hold true even if it is just a story.

The points made in the story are accurate. I don't know if my vision
is correct in any case.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I voted other because I view it as an allegory, not a myth. They are two different things. I do not believe that there was an actual Adam and Eve. Others are, of course, entitled to their own views.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That depends on the context of the conversation. In this thread, we are discussing whether Adam and Eve are real, which makes it the historical event as the focus.

Exactly. It is the historical focus that is important.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, what, if anything, in the Bible, is real..

So far:

1/ Adam and Eve... allegory.
2/ Literal 6 days... allegory.
3/ World wide flood... allegory.
4/ Nephilime offspring of Humans/Angel Hybrid.... incorrect... was Seth's kids.
5/ No rapture
6/ Tribulation is happening today.

What is left for us to determine as real.... Let's hope that the Gospel and the life of Christ is real....

This song is really great in a way for this discussion, about the truth and what is real, and knowing the Universe is over 13 billion years old only makes me love this song more (God spoke physics itself into existence I think, and therefore the Universe unfolded, like a flower from a seed, inevitably, perfectly); the deeper messages it's about are such a great way to see how it all is together, how scripture from the old to the new is a whole thing, one together, a thread all the way through. I just love this song.

(just in case it helps someone, I personally think that Adam literally existed, and the Garden, and the choice, that Adam was the first human to have an individual spirit/soul, breathed into him. But see, the message of Genesis 2 and 3 isn't just some history, like 'what was the name of the first man' or such, not at all. It's about profoundly important things we need to immediately apply right now in our lives, about how to love our spouses, how to trust God, and more. So the history details like when and where aren't something we have to know at all, but we need to totally read with an open heart and mind so that we hear it when Eve is from Adam's rib, and that really sinks into us, and other things in these powerful chapters.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

What gives?

Why does your eternal soul depend on the historical figure? If the story was allegorical, then it would still explain the way to salvation....only thing is that you would need to seek and find the way. Jesus is the way. Therefore believing in the history, stops one from seeking the way....thereby hindering the very salvation one believes they found in the belief of the story......

Reactions: ml66uk
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Logic says that Jesus was a real person,
Look, I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ and full well believe in His death, burial and resurrection. I believe everything about His live as it is recorded in the Bible...

However... nothing.. I mean nothing is "logical" about Him.
1/ Born of a virgin.
2/ Arguing with the high priests at age 12 and winning the arguments.
3/ Walked on water.
4/ Fed over 5000 people with five loaves and two fish.
5/ 12.... count them.... 12 full baskets of leftovers from the five loaves and two fish.
6/ Water into wine... instantly and the best wine they had.
7/ every other miracle that He did...

All this adds up to... unbelievable, illogical, super natural and the closest thing to not being real.

So, if all this is true... and all of us believe it... to be Christian.... then... why is the rest of the supernatural events called "fairy tales"?

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
But it's all real. All of it.

Utterly real.

And that's regardless of what is metaphor and what concrete, or what mix of the two. For instance the parables are about the most central and real truths of existence, life. More true than general knowledge we think of as 'fact'.

(for instance, I've directly measured the speed of light in a sophomore physics lab, and I'm especially confident in the factual reality of number for the speed of light in a vacuum to high precision, so that's a very strong fact to me. But the truths Christ tells me in the parables are more essentially crucial and reliable and solid and real. I know what He says will happen. While there could be in contrast some quirk about the speed of light we don't understand yet, His truths I can feel more confident in even more than Maxwell's equations for electromagnetism. God could decide to toss this physics, and Maxwell's equations with it, next week. But Christ's words will be true literally forever.)

-----
(btw, just my view, but I would not assume #5 is correct. Nor #6, though I don't know for sure whether we could be near the beginning moments or lead in)
I believe all of it is as true as the sunrise today....

It is appalling to me that people write off the other things... because some scientist says it's not possible... For goodness sake... nothing in the bible of any importance is possible in the natural world.

So... don't write it off as a "fairy tail and then tell me that Christ died on a cross and came back to life and floated up to heaven on a cloud.... sheeesh.

• Agree
Reactions: Halbhh
Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,656.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Why does your eternal soul depend on the historical figure? If the story was allegorical, then it would still explain the way to salvation....only thing is that you would need to seek and find the way. Jesus is the way. Therefore believing in the history, stops one from seeking the way....thereby hindering the very salvation one believes they found in the belief of the story......
........wha.........?

• Agree
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Look, I am a firm believer in Jesus Christ and full well believe in His death, burial and resurrection. I believe everything about His live as it is recorded in the Bible...

However... nothing.. I mean nothing is "logical" about Him.
1/ Born of a virgin.
2/ Arguing with the high priests at age 12 and winning the arguments.
3/ Walked on water.
4/ Fed over 5000 people with five loaves and two fish.
5/ 12.... count them.... 12 full baskets of leftovers from the five loaves and two fish.
6/ Water into wine... instantly and the best wine they had.
7/ every other miracle that He did...

All this adds up to... unbelievable, illogical, super natural and the closest thing to not being real.

So, if all this is true... and all of us believe it... to be Christian.... then... why is the rest of the supernatural events called "fairy tales"?
Depends, Some say the supernatural is just a higher form of, or comes from a higher form of, higher natural... But the steps in coming to accept something like, or that are from, accepting Jesus as a real historical figure, to things like "this", I do not know...?

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate

Yet it is real... and we must fit that into our logic also... The miracles, and miraculous or "supernatural" miracles, signs, and wonders were real (and that happens somewhere in the middle) anyway, it's real...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe all of it is as true as the sunrise today....

It is appalling to me that people write off the other things... because some scientist says it's not possible... For goodness sake... nothing in the bible of any importance is possible in the natural world.

So... don't write it off as a "fairy tail and then tell me that Christ died on a cross and came back to life and floated up to heaven on a cloud.... sheeesh.

Yes, and if you like message me to come and help for any such person thinking that I'd be glad to, since I should often be able to talk to those under some misimpressions about what is in the Old Testament, and help them see that (proven) science and scripture fit together perfectly well.

• Friendly
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

Halbhh

Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
✟1,157,377.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Depends, Some say the supernatural is just a higher form of, or comes from a higher form of, higher natural... But the steps in coming to accept something like, or that are from, accepting Jesus as a real historical figure, to things like "this", I do not know...?

God Bless!

Sometimes I wonder in awe on how Christ Jesus is the Word of God incarnate, in how it also suggests that literally He could additionally be somehow...in some way I cannot yet conceive, perhaps above mortal human understanding even until the afterlife (maybe) that He could somehow be in some way a vehicle or personification of physics even. I mean as an attribute. As one attribute. Not that I know, or could even understand. But I wonder. I don't think I understand it yet, but I'm already in awe about that possibility He carries or has been involved in all of physics, meaning all that exists (which is simply physics in action) throughout all the Universe then also.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟958,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Sometimes I wonder in awe on how Christ Jesus is the Word of God incarnate, in how it also suggests that literally He could additionally be somehow...in some way I cannot yet conceive, perhaps above mortal human understanding even until the afterlife (maybe) that He could somehow be in some way a vehicle or personification of physics even. I mean as an attribute. As one attribute. Not that I know, or could even understand. But I wonder. I don't think I understand it yet, but I'm already in awe about that possibility He carries or has been involved in all of physics, meaning all that exists (which is simply physics in action) throughout all the Universe then also.
Yes, awesome,

God Bless!

Upvote 0