Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Colabomb said:
I have a question for you. When Christ commanded the men to go out and Baptize in the Name of the Father and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, did He mean that? Or was it just a suggestion?

Another question is, when Jesus said that He that believes and is Baptized will be Saved, and He that does not believe will be ******. Did He mean that?
1. Of course Christ meant that - but he gave his disciples that command - sense then our Lord gave Paul more advanced instructions of what to do and it wasn't to go out and baptise the world under a Jewish dispensation. I think I covered that the message of Matt. 28:20 was a kingdom age message tha is no longer in affect - Paul's message is I Cor. 15:1-5 and the truths found in Ephesians and other prison eptistles. We are no longer under a Jewish kingdom of heaven dispensation. God will finish up with Israel later but now God is dealing with forming His body revealed to Paul in Ephesisans.

2. Of course He did - but for them not the church today - the above should have covered that. It is called "progressive revelation" - you don't sacrifice lambs anymore do you? God is not dealing with Israel as a nation - they have been set aside until He resumes His dealings with them - so the messages and doctrines associated with them are not in affect. Paul said in II Tim. 2:7 to conisder what he says - is this not scripture or only "red letters" spoken by our Lord (just kidding).

Now Cola - you may not be understanding this or just don't agree with the above then that is fine - maybe someone else will get something from it. I didn't just dream this up after 20 years - many others believe the above.

I will be happy to continue if you ahve any more questions.

By the way I am seeking to answer your questions for me - what about the ones I presented?

1. According to Eph. 4:5 - there is one baptism today - is it water (as you say in John 3 and Acts 2) or the spiritual baptism of Col. 2:11,2? - They are different and the answer can't be both - there is only one - which one is it?
2. According to Gal. 2:16 what justified you?

I think those are decent questions. Each answer involves only one or two words?

May God bless.

Upvote 0

Vxer1000

Provoking Thought
Sep 11, 2003
Waukegan, IL
✟9,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AVBunyan said:
I never said one should not have works as a result of our justification - Paul is very clear on this in Eph. 4:1.

Now I have some questions if you don't mind:
1. Accorindg to Eph. 4:5 - there is one baptism today - is it water (as you say in JOhn 3 and Acts 2) or the spiritual baptism of Col. 2:11,2? - They are different and the answer can't be both - there is only one - which one is it?
2. According to Gal. 2:16 what justified you?

Now, I will await your answers and then we can go on if you like. Now you don't have to answer and I'll understand but there is "reasoning to my madness"
I don't have any problem with someone asking questions like this because this is how we learn. Ephesians 4.5 is indeed refering to baptism in water in Jesus' name, as is Colossians 2.11-15. When you think about it everything we do for God is supposed to be through faith thus faith and baptism are tied together. This is what makes our obedience to the commandment a spiritual event(as well as physical). If you get in the water not believing in Jesus or in the fact that you are obeying the commandment of God you are just taking a bath. That is why Philip spoke with and explained to the Eunuch first who Jesus was and what baptism was about in Act 8.26-38. After the Eunuch received that knowledge(which is integral with our faith) he was then baptized and because you are baptized as an act of faith to the commandment that makes it a spiritual event and God gives us the Holy Ghost(This does not mean you will speak in tongues, although it could happen). A lack of action on our part to the commandment of baptism(in other words if we choose not to do it when we are clearly capable of doing it); what does that say about our faith and obedience to the scripture? I feel that is pretty self-explanatory.

AVBunyan said:
Also you used, "shall enter into the kingdom of heaven" - not the issue here is getting into the kingdom of heaven - two things to note:
1. This was said before Christ died at Calvary - the issue of the death, burial and resurrection for sins was not even known about - even Christ's faithful disciples didn't know about it (Luke 18:34)!
2. The issue here is the kingdom of heaven - a literal, physical land that was promised to Israel that they will enter into one day at the end of the tribulation. The issue here was not salvation as we think of it today. Not until you get to Paul's gospel do you get the message of salvation for today.

Acts 2:38 was a message to Jews regarding their rejection of their Messian in anticipation of the second advent - you couldn't find a Christian in Cats 2 with an elctron miscroope - the whole setting was Jewish and the purpose for Calvary was not yet fully revealed so to use Acts 2:38 as a slavtion message won't cut it.
Acts 2 speaks about remission of sins. Sin is why people go to Hell(or the Lake of Fire, ultimately) to put it bluntly. If you remit their sins they are now ready to stand before God clean. So I would say it is very much a salvation issue. Remember the first thing Jesus did when His ministry was just getting started(around age 30)? He was baptized by John the Baptist and in so doing Jesus said it becomes us to fulfil all righteousness:

Matthew 3
13 Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.
14 But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?
15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.

AVBunyan said:
Also I'm still waiting for those who say they have to obey all that Chrsit commanded to respond to my challenge to Matt. 28:20 compared with Matt. 23:3 - haven't had anybody yet pick up that gauntlet. I'm patiently waiting for somebody to explain that one.
The law of Moses(which is what Jesus was referring to when He spoke of the pharisees and their teachings) was written for the lawless as you know. These laws were made to protect the peace, sanctity, and well being of the people. Jesus did away with "some" of OT practices(Yet he did fulfil the law) because they were no longer needed(Many of the laws were for our physical well being such as not eating pork). The OT laws still serve as a guideline for us today because they were the shadow of things to come(i.e. - You don't have to commit the physical act of adultery to be guilty of it before God). Therefore, we don't have to make animal sacrifices because Jesus came as the one sacrifice that covered all sin. Jesus made it pretty clear what OT laws we don't follow to the letter, yet they still have spiritual significance and speak to us metaphorically. If we are truly led by the Spirit of God we are not subject to the law anyways, yet the law can tell us if we are really straying away from God or getting closer to Him. This can be a pretty deep subject that can't be done justice in one or two paragraphs, but I am willing to answer any other questions.

AVBunyan said:
Finally one more question - who are you going to believe?
Paul -the apostle to the Gentiles with the advanced revelation from Jesus regarding the body of Christ?
Or...
Peter - the apostle to the circumcism with the message to the Jewish nation during Acts?

Which one are you going to take today - they had different messasges for different people for different times - which one are you going to go by?

May God bless
You will need to give specific examples of where you think Peter and Paul differed in the administration of their ministries. I believe they had the exact same message to preach and I believe the whole bible, not just the parts I want to pick and choose. This is a common problem that occurs when people just look at what they see on the surface of what they are reading rather than digging into a deeper understanding behind the scriptures. I don't believe there is any difference between what Jesus, Peter or Paul preached and that they were in perfect harmony. Jesus was baptized(just as an example). Paul was baptized(out of necessity for remission of sins) and preached it. Peter preached and baptized, yet the bible gives no indication of Peter or the other 11 apostles being physically baptized because he and the other 11 apostles were the starting point of the church and there was no one to baptize them.

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Vex - first of all I would like to commend you for the time your spent in preparing your response. Though we do not agree on some things you took the time to study, prepare and then post - this is a testimony of your love for truth and seeking for others to see truth also. I know it takes time to put out a post such as you did - I thank you. I may not be able to comment on all that you brought up in this short time but I will seek to address some things.

"Ephesians 4.5 is indeed refering to baptism in water in Jesus' name, as is Colossians 2.11-15."

Sorry, my friend, you can't find water within 5 books. I believe vs. 12 goes with vs. 11 and vs. 11 was an act of God (made without hands) so the baptism there in vs. 12 is what took place when Christ put you in the body of Christ. Becasue we see the word baptism we autimatically assume "water" - then go to I Cor. 10:2 - that is not water - Israel came out dry as a bone!

"That is why Philip spoke with and explained to the Eunuch first who Jesus was and what baptism was about in Act 8.26-38"

Ah, here we go - somewhere I showed you the purpose of baptism (may have been another thread - I get confused). Look real close at:
John 1:31 "And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water."

The message was, (paraphrasing) "You believe that Jesus is your messiah? Ok, then get baptized!" That message carried on through Acts. The question was asked concerning WHO JESUS WAS. The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." and when he essentially believed the issue John raised in John 1:31 then the eunuch was baptized. Again, the issue and mesage was, "Do you belive Jesus is who He says He is? If you do then get baptized." The message wasn't believe that Christ died for your sins, etc. (I Cor. 15:1-5) it was regarding the truth of who Jesus said he was. We are not saved by believing who Jesus was - our message is based upon what Jesus DID FOR US AT CALVARY. This message was not even fully revealed until Paul. Philipp was going by OT truth and the truth of calvary had yet to be fully revealed. At the time of the eunuch you were still under John's baptism and the kingdom age message. Remeber the problem Israel had in the gospels was bleiveing that He was the Christ.

"Acts 2 speaks about remission of sins. Sin is why people go to Hell(or the Lake of Fire, ultimately) to put it bluntly. If you remit their sins they are now ready to stand before God clean. So I would say it is very much a salvation issue."

Again, the issue was not "forgivenss" - If God wanted forgiveness there He would have put forgiveness. Remission and forgiveness are close but they are different - look closely at the English definition. Remission carries with it "overlooking", whereas forgiveness carries with it "done". God remitted Israel's sins in the OT based upon bulls and goats knowing later that Christ would settle it. Israel's sins AS A NATION, are different than individuals today. God remitted those Jews in early Acts but as a nation they would not be forgiven until the second advent - look closely at Acts 3:19,20:

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Not "may be" - note "when" - note "shall come" - all future references - not talking about Calvary.

Acts 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Note "shall send" - future, not Calvary but 2nd advent. Jesus had already come so their conversion and forgiveness AS A NATION would be at the 2nd advent. I know it sounds far-fetched but that is what the verses are referring to and much of the OT points to the future day when God will restore Israel. Pul was given the turth about Calvary and the sin and sin issue for the individual. Peter didn't even know that in Acts 2 yet!

"Remember the first thing Jesus did when His ministry was just getting started(around age 30)? He was baptized by John the Baptist and in so doing Jesus said it becomes us to fulfil all righteousness:"

As we know Jesus didn't get baptized to be saved. He was delcaring the truth that John said, (paraphrasing) "I believe I am the messiah so therefore I am doing what John told - so go and do likewise if you believe I am your messiah."

"Jesus made it pretty clear what OT laws we don't follow to the letter, yet they still have spiritual significance and speak to us metaphorically."

I still believe in Matt. 23 Jesus told his people to follow all the law - nothing had been done away with at that time so they were still under the law. So, when Christ gave the "great commission" the keeping of the law would have been included for the church age and grace and the the body of Christ had yet to be revealed so essentially you were still under the law until Israel rejected the kingdom offer and Paul was called out and the body of Christ and Paul's gospel was revealed.

"If we are truly led by the Spirit of God we are not subject to the law anyways, yet the law can tell us if we are really straying away from God or getting closer to Him."

Amen and amen! Good preaching - I needed that.

"This can be a pretty deep subject that can't be done justice in one or two paragraphs, but I am willing to answer any other questions."

You are right - I have just skimmed the surface on how God deals with Israel as a nation as compared to how God is dealing with the church, the body of Christ today. This can clear up much confusion in the body of Christ today. I've always believed that a doctrinal truth for some else in another time becomes unscriptural confusion when applied to another people in another age it was not intended for.

"You will need to give specific examples of where you think Peter and Paul differed in the administration of theire ministries."

You have touched upon a great study. I would like to give you those but I am on break at work and just can't dive into that now but if you like I will present you their messages and show you that Peter was teh apostle sent to the circusmsism with a message and Paul was the apostle to the uncircumcism.

"I believe the had the exact same message to preach and I believe the whole bible, not just the parts I want to pick and choose."

I trust I can show you that not until later in Acts were their messages even close to being similar. Acts is a transition from the kingdom age gospel with Peter leading the way to the gospel of grace with Paul taking over later after Acts 13 or so. Big transition from Peter to Paul - Israel as a nation to the revealation of the mystery given only to Paul (Ephesisans).

"I don't believe there is any difference between what Jesus, Peter or Paul preached and that they were in perfect harmony."

Again, I trust, with time, prayer and study, that I can show you that. If you can see it I believe you will go through the roof (in a good way).

Gotta go, brain dead, fingers hurt, and gotta work.

Final thought - I believ eall the Bible - I read all the Bible - I throw nothing out and run from none of it. I understand II Tim. 3:16 and Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning,
but I know that the first thing scripture is for is for doctrine - II Tim. 3:16 - what I am trying to clear up is doctrine - poor job but that is my intent - I am seeking not to leave or throw out any books or teachings so as to avoid something. I mainly study Paul's epistles (especially his prison epistles) but I read and believe it all juding all by Paul (II Tim. 2:7) - now putting it all where it belongs to whom it belongs is where the work and study comes in - II Tim. 2:15

May God bless for even staying awake to read the above.

Upvote 0

Vxer1000

Provoking Thought
Sep 11, 2003
Waukegan, IL
✟9,029.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
AVBunyan said:
"Ephesians 4.5 is indeed refering to baptism in water in Jesus' name, as is Colossians 2.11-15."

Sorry, my friend, you can't find water within 5 books. I believe vs. 12 goes with vs. 11 and vs. 11 was an act of God (made without hands) so the baptism there in vs. 12 is what took place when Christ put you in the body of Christ. Becasue we see the word baptism we autimatically assume "water" - then go to I Cor. 10:2 - that is not water - Israel came out dry as a bone!
Colossians 2
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ:
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

When someone is baptized in water in Jesus name are they just performing the physical act of getting wet or is it an "act of faith" as it says here in Colossians? It is an act of faith. The physical act of baptism and the reason a person does it are tied together. That makes baptism a spiritual as well as a physical event. That means it is an act of faith towards Jesus and the Calvary that He went to.

AVBunyan said:
"That is why Philip spoke with and explained to the Eunuch first who Jesus was and what baptism was about in Act 8.26-38"

Ah, here we go - somewhere I showed you the purpose of baptism (may have been another thread - I get confused). Look real close at:
John 1:31 "And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water."

The message was, (paraphrasing) "You believe that Jesus is your messiah? Ok, then get baptized!" That message carried on through Acts. The question was asked concerning WHO JESUS WAS. The eunuch answered, "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." and when he essentially believed the issue John raised in John 1:31 then the eunuch was baptized. Again, the issue and mesage was, "Do you belive Jesus is who He says He is? If you do then get baptized." The message wasn't believe that Christ died for your sins, etc. (I Cor. 15:1-5) it was regarding the truth of who Jesus said he was. We are not saved by believing who Jesus was - our message is based upon what Jesus DID FOR US AT CALVARY. This message was not even fully revealed until Paul. Philipp was going by OT truth and the truth of calvary had yet to be fully revealed. At the time of the eunuch you were still under John's baptism and the kingdom age message. Remeber the problem Israel had in the gospels was believing that He was the Christ.
Phillip explained to the Eunuch who Jesus was and what his purpose was. The scripture the Eunuch was reading when Philip happened upon him was in the book of Isaiah and speaking specifically about Jesus' death. The Eunuch was explained who Jesus was and what happened to Him in the scripture so he had a working knowledge of Calvary. Remember the OT clearly spelled out how the Saviour would come, how He would live, and how He would die. Anyone who was familiar with the OT(i.e. Isaiah, Jeremiah, etc.) knew the fate of the Saviour to come and what it meant. The Eunuch asked Phillip if this Jesus was that Saviour spoken of in Isaiah.

AVBunyan said:
"Acts 2 speaks about remission of sins. Sin is why people go to Hell(or the Lake of Fire, ultimately) to put it bluntly. If you remit their sins they are now ready to stand before God clean. So I would say it is very much a salvation issue."

Again, the issue was not "forgiveness" - If God wanted forgiveness there He would have put forgiveness. Remission and forgiveness are close but they are different - look closely at the English definition. Remission carries with it "overlooking", whereas forgiveness carries with it "done". God remitted Israel's sins in the OT based upon bulls and goats knowing later that Christ would settle it. Israel's sins AS A NATION, are different than individuals today. God remitted those Jews in early Acts but as a nation they would not be forgiven until the second advent - look closely at Acts 3:19,20:

Acts 3:19 Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Not "may be" - note "when" - note "shall come" - all future references - not talking about Calvary.

Acts 3:20 And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you:
Note "shall send" - future, not Calvary but 2nd advent. Jesus had already come so their conversion and forgiveness AS A NATION would be at the 2nd advent. I know it sounds far-fetched but that is what the verses are referring to and much of the OT points to the future day when God will restore Israel. Pul was given the turth about Calvary and the sin and sin issue for the individual. Peter didn't even know that in Acts 2 yet!
Entry: remission

Function: noun

Definition: acquittal

Synonyms: absolution, amnesty, discharge, excuse, exemption, exoneration, forgiveness, indulgence, mercy, pardon, release, reprieve

Concept: freedom

Remission and forgiveness mean the same thing.

Romans 1
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

The message of salvation is no different for the Jews or the Greeks. Peter preached the first message in Acts 2 and the bible said the people gladly heard it and 3000 souls were added to them. Phillip then brought the message of salvation to the Samaritans in Acts 8 and finally Peter brought the message of salvation to the "Greeks" in Acts 10. The only difference is that Jesus told the apostles to bring the salvation message to the Jews first which they did in Jerusalem.

Acts 3.19 is referring to salvation as is Acts 2.38. Peter told the people to repent and be converted(born again). After the baptism God refreshes us with the Holy Ghost. It was not some distant promise for generations later.

AVBunyan said:
"Remember the first thing Jesus did when His ministry was just getting started(around age 30)? He was baptized by John the Baptist and in so doing Jesus said it becomes us to fulfil all righteousness:"

As we know Jesus didn't get baptized to be saved. He was delcaring the truth that John said, (paraphrasing) "I believe I am the messiah so therefore I am doing what John told - so go and do likewise if you believe I am your messiah."
Jesus was baptized because He was led of God to do so just as He was led of God to do everything that He did.

AVBunyan said:
"Jesus made it pretty clear what OT laws we don't follow to the letter, yet they still have spiritual significance and speak to us metaphorically."

I still believe in Matt. 23 Jesus told his people to follow all the law - nothing had been done away with at that time so they were still under the law. So, when Christ gave the "great commission" the keeping of the law would have been included for the church age and grace and the the body of Christ had yet to be revealed so essentially you were still under the law until Israel rejected the kingdom offer and Paul was called out and the body of Christ and Paul's gospel was revealed.
The bible says the law will be your judge if you are not under grace. Although Paul spoke more of grace than any other apostle, Peter is the one to whom the keys of the kingdom of Heaven were given. Peter established the preaching of baptism in Jesus' name before Paul was even converted and it was for salvation. Peter fulfilled Matthew 28.18-19, Mark 16.15-16, and Luke 24.47 in Acts 2. Once baptized (look at Romans 6.1-6) we are no longer subject to the law, but the spirit of God.

AVBunyan said:
"This can be a pretty deep subject that can't be done justice in one or two paragraphs, but I am willing to answer any other questions."

You are right - I have just skimmed the surface on how God deals with Israel as a nation as compared to how God is dealing with the church, the body of Christ today. This can clear up much confusion in the body of Christ today. I've always believed that a doctrinal truth for some else in another time becomes unscriptural confusion when applied to another people in another age it was not intended for.
This can be true, but we are talking about the NT church which was established from Acts 2 and the first message preached in Jerusalem by Peter. We fall into the same category as the Jews of that time frame.

Romans 2
28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29 But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

Christians are Jews by faith. Faith is demonstrated by action otherwise faith is dead. It(faith) starts in the head(belief) and makes it to the hands(action).

AVBunyan said:
"You will need to give specific examples of where you think Peter and Paul differed in the administration of theire ministries."

You have touched upon a great study. I would like to give you those but I am on break at work and just can't dive into that now but if you like I will present you their messages and show you that Peter was teh apostle sent to the circusmsism with a message and Paul was the apostle to the uncircumcism.
They brought the same message. Acts 2.38, Acts 4.12, Acts 8.12, Acts 10.44-48, Acts 19.1-5.

AVBunyan said:
"I believe they had the exact same message to preach and I believe the whole bible, not just the parts I want to pick and choose."

I trust I can show you that not until later in Acts were their messages even close to being similar. Acts is a transition from the kingdom age gospel with Peter leading the way to the gospel of grace with Paul taking over later after Acts 13 or so. Big transition from Peter to Paul - Israel as a nation to the revealation of the mystery given only to Paul (Ephesisans).
Same post as above. Everyone thinks Israel became a nation when? In 1948? They grew into a "nation" when they were in bondage in Egypt thousands of years ago. 600,000 men of fighting age left Egypt not including women and children. That is a nation, not just a "big" family. Man just documented their nationhood in 1948.

AVBunyan said:
Final thought - I believe all the Bible - I read all the Bible - I throw nothing out and run from none of it. I understand II Tim. 3:16 and Rom 15:4 For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning,
but I know that the first thing scripture is for is for doctrine - II Tim. 3:16 - what I am trying to clear up is doctrine - poor job but that is my intent - I am seeking not to leave or throw out any books or teachings so as to avoid something. I mainly study Paul's epistles (especially his prison epistles) but I read and believe it all juding all by Paul (II Tim. 2:7) - now putting it all where it belongs to whom it belongs is where the work and study comes in - II Tim. 2:15
Again, I believe Peter and Paul preached the exact same message. The only difference is Peter was commisioned to preach to the Jews(yet he opened the door for salvation to the gentiles) and Paul was commisioned to preach to the gentiles(even though he started off preaching to the Jews).

Upvote 0

AVBunyan

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
✟17,676.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Vexer1000 - I really do appreciate your labour in responding to my posts - many people do not even care enough but to wirte a few sentnecs without even attempting to answer the issues but you put some time and thought into your posts and I thank God for you.

I will only commnet on 2 things:
1. Regarding the definition of remission:
Webster's 1828 dictionary says:
1. Abatement; relaxation; moderation; as the remission of extreme rigor
This definition is the first one in the actual definition so you can see where I got the idea of remission differing from forgiveness.

2. Regarding Peter and Paul's message being different - honestly after what you and I've been through I believe I can show you the difference in their ministries and messages but if you can't see Acts 2:38 as I believe it is then to go further into Paul's different message and ministry would be futile.

Summary - we've gone as far as we can go - we have presented what we both believe and it appears we will not budge on our positions. So, I guess it is time to pull up the anchor and move on.

Again, I enjoyed the exchange - there was no mud slinging or shooting from the hip from you and this speaks well of your Christian character.

With that I ask God's blessing upon your life and may your walk with the Saviour grow richer each day till He comes back.

I Sam. 12:24

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.