Aug 31, 2016
UK
✟9,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,
I posted a few years back about my wife being abusive, lying about me to mutual friends (who have never spoken to me again) to isolate me and emasculating me. My other thread has the full story.
I had some absolutely wonderful support, prayers and encouragement and felt so blessed, but recently she rejected Christianity, saying she ‘never believed’. She is totally remorseless and continues her behaviour. No amount of kindness, love or prayer has changed; it just enables her.

I never thought it but divorce is something I feel I could do, albeit with a very heavy heart. Is anyone able advise me before I do something I might regret?

Peace,

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟353,405.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are you the person who said she belittled you in front of people and then would always apologize but would do it again and again? I was wondering how you made out. I am glad you have let us know how you are doing. That is distressing that she has left God. I can't figure your wife out, I hope there will be people that will answer this post again. I will be praying for you and your wife.
May God give you the answers you need.

Oh. okay, I just realized that was only a few weeks ago, similar circumstances. Maybe the other guy will benefit from the answers you get.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,
I posted a few years back about my wife being abusive, lying about me to mutual friends (who have never spoken to me again) to isolate me and emasculating me. My other thread has the full story.
I had some absolutely wonderful support, prayers and encouragement and felt so blessed, but recently she rejected Christianity, saying she ‘never believed’. She is totally remorseless and continues her behaviour. No amount of kindness, love or prayer has changed; it just enables her.

I never thought it but divorce is something I feel I could do, albeit with a very heavy heart. Is anyone able advise me before I do something I might regret?

Peace,
Maybe just separate, for now.

Little doubt that she will give you grounds for a justified divorce in time ...

Upvote 0

Andrewn

CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2019
-
✟681,411.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
@cdtaylor

I think this is not suitable for Introduce Yourself forum. Perhaps you should post the thread in the following forum:

Requests for Christian Advice

I sympathize with you and hope that God leads you and your family to peace.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Peace,
Marriage is for life. Divorce does not break the marriage bond. Remarriage after divorce is adultery. If necessary, separation might be justifiable but you are married for life.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,850.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Marriage is for life. Divorce does not break the marriage bond. Remarriage after divorce is adultery. If necessary, separation might be justifiable but you are married for life.

Marriage might be for life but it doesnt mean that one has to stay with such abusive partners!

God is mercy and love.

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi everyone,

Peace,
Have you gone to counseling?

Upvote 0

dqhall

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2015
Florida
Visit site
✟766,603.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

Peace,
Living alone also has it’s disadvantages too. If two contribute towards common expenses, that is a plus. If one gets sick the other can carry the load until the sick one recovers. I do not consider myself better than others living alone as I do.

Pray to God for defense when someone insults you in public. Too many times I have been insulted and kept silent. Other times words for my defense came. If you serve Christ, the good shepherd, you might find more defense than if you neglect so great a salvation.

Luke 12:8 (WEB) “I tell you, everyone who confesses me before men, the Son of Man will also confess before the angels of God; 9 but he who denies me in the presence of men will be denied in the presence of God’s angels. 10 Everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but those who blaspheme against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven. 11 When they bring you before the synagogues, the rulers, and the authorities, don’t be anxious how or what you will answer, or what you will say; 12 for the Holy Spirit will teach you in that same hour what you must say.”

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,673,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome cd. This is just the introduction forum where we are supposed to keep things light. You might try this forum: Requests for Christian Advice

Prayers for you in the meantime.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Hi everyone,

Peace,

Maybe just separate, for now.

Little doubt that she will give you grounds for a justified divorce in time ...

I think the above answer is right. The thing to do would be to separate. But you are still married and must behave as such. If she doesn't, and strays, then you can divorce. She more than likely will. Problem being, you still have to support her financially. And it is not a bad set-up for her for you to pay her to live by herself, and may in fact, be what she wants. However, sense she has left Christianity, it will not be long before she finds herself without any of your friends on her side. She won't be going to church and lying to your friends then so, at least publicly, you will have an easier time of it. You will just have to avoid being with her at other times for your non-Christian friends to also avoid. She is bound to show her true side to everyone and will probably ask for a divorce herself. It may be hard, but in the meantime, you still have to abide daily with Christ and be kind to her anyway. Your salvation depends on how you meet adversity. God is concerned with your walk with Him. You must leave her walk with God to herself.

Upvote 0

Deade

Called of God
Site Supporter
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, OK
Visit site
✟274,266.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hello cdtaylor,
welcome to CF.

I hope you'll enjoy your stay here.

View attachment 284075

05c8192c72896f3ad2fb960453b32d0a.gif

Upvote 0

Melody Suttles

SingPeace
Site Supporter
Sep 22, 2018
Atlanta
✟79,254.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Hi everyone,

Peace,

Wounded people wound people and so when someone has not healed from their own verbal abuse they continue the cycle by abusing others around them.

Emotional abuse is not only limited to women. Men can be emotionally abused as well. Especially when it is a male looking for approval from their father and the father is an emotionally abusive person.

The first step to healing is forgiving the abuser and removing yourself from the situation. If you are in a marriage you need to seek Christian counseling as soon as possible. The sooner you can get others involved to establish some kind of accountability, the better.

It is your soul that is wounded and your spirit that is crushed. Just as the words of a person wounded you then the word of God can heal you.

You must meditate on God’s word. This is the key to your recovery.

Again, the first thing is to forgive them and get yourself out of the situation and then seek Christian counseling. If you are married ask your spouse to go to counseling with you. If they refuse then you need to go alone. Just get help. If only to get agreement from the counselor and advise on how to move forward and get healing. This is biblical.

If you can’t afford the counseling, talk to the pastor. In some churches they may have support groups that may also help.

“Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. 20 For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”

Here are some scriptures for meditation:

Psalm 34:18 (NKJV) “The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, And saves such as have a contrite spirit.”

Psalm 51:6 (NKJV) “Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts, And in the hidden part You will make me to know wisdom.”

Psalm 139:14 (NKJV) “I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, And that my soul knows very well.”

2 Corinthians 3:17 New International Version (NIV) “Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.”

1 John 4:18 “Love will never invoke fear. Perfect love expels fear, particularly the fear of punishment. The one who fears punishment has not been completed through love.”

Psalm 63:3 “Your steadfast love is better than life itself, so my lips will give You all my praise.”

Romans 8:37-39 “But no matter what comes, we will always taste victory through Him who loved us. For I have every confidence that nothing—not death, life, heavenly messengers, dark spirits, the present, the future, spiritual powers, height, depth, nor any created thing—can come between us and the love of God revealed in the Anointed, Jesus our Lord.”

Isaiah 61:1-3 (NIV) “He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion—to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of his splendor.”
Jeremiah 31:3 “I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with unfailing kindness.”

---- from Prayer for Emotional Abuse -

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Anthony2019

Pax et bonum!
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2019
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
✟777,145.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Hi everyone,

Peace,
Hello cdtaylor
Sorry to hear about your situation and rest assured you will have lots of people here supporting you with prayer.

Reactions: Deade
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She is totally remorseless and continues her behaviour. No amount of kindness, love or prayer has changed; it just enables her.

I assume "continues her behavior" is referring to the same behaviors described in your other original post?

CD Taylor, sometimes the definition of success is a divorce. I have read the other thread, and I don't believe you have anything to work with here.

As you have realized, you can't love an abuser out of their abuse - one sided loving just enables more abuse.

I'm so sorry. You've done more than most men could do, but it does take two. If marriage becomes a legalistic bondage to abuse then it is not a marriage anymore. Some people on this forum watch for terribly suffering marriages and then jump in to offer no help but to browbeat the original poster into how he or she can't get divorce.

Yet, the apostle Paul says that if an unbelieving wife is not pleased to live with you, then you may be released from the bondage of the marriage. It is clear in so many ways that your wife is not pleased to live with you. Further, Jesus says that divorce is permissible for adultery, of which she has committed multiple times.

I would separate immediately and start proceedings for divorce. Don't endure a trial separation first - just move directly on to divorce. You have dedicated enough of your life and efforts in this fruitless and abusive marriage.

Grace and peace to you, brother. I truly wish I could offer a different alternative to you. I pray you find the courage to move forward. After you have been separated for several weeks you will realize how grateful you are to be away from your wife, and you will realize that you should have done this much sooner.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,482.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I can't say exactly what I'd recommend in terms of divorce, as that's between you and your wife, but separation sounds like a good idea for now. Don't stay around an abuser. Distance yourself from her if you can, and pray that she gets help.

You'll stop enabling her, and it'll be good for your own sanity.

Upvote 0