✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exclusive: Survivor explains decision to leave Vatican's abuse commission

Marie Collins of Ireland, the only active member of the Vatican's Abuse Commission who was a victim of abuse, has resigned. She says that "I have come to the point where I can no longer be sustained by hope."

Collins was "dismayed" by the refusal of Curia departments to implement the recommendations approved by Pope Francis, or even to work with the Commission.

"Last year at our request, the pope instructed all departments in the Vatican to ensure all correspondence from victims/survivors receives a response. I learned in a letter from this particular dicastery last month that they are refusing to do so.

I find it impossible to listen to public statements about the deep concern in the church for the care of those whose lives have been blighted by abuse, yet to watch privately as a congregation in the Vatican refuses to even acknowledge their letters! It is a reflection of how this whole abuse crisis in the Church has been handled: with fine words in public and contrary actions behind closed doors."

Collins mentioned other commission members who have reported similar issues in dealing with the entrenched Vatican bureaucracy, including members who have testified before the Australian Royal Commission.

"The reluctance of some in the Vatican Curia to implement recommendations or cooperate with the work of a commission when the purpose is to improve the safety of children and vulnerable adults around the world is unacceptable.

Is this reluctance driven by internal politics, fear of change, clericalism which instills a belief that 'they know best' or a closed mindset which sees abuse as an inconvenience or a clinging to old institutional attitudes?"

Fish and Bread

Dona nobis pacem
Jan 31, 2005
✟68,185.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It is sad that the Church is obviously still not dealing with the sexual abuse scandal in the way that it needs to. It's made progress, but not enough.

I think we can see in this one hopeful sign, though, which is that the person resigning blames the Curia, and Pope Francis has made a big point of shaking up the Curia, a process that is still on-going. In the end, if Pope Francis sticks around and finishes what he started, we may have a better starting point for truly doing what we should do to protect our children from predator priests and accomplices in the episcopate.

Reactions: Martinius
Upvote 0

Martinius

Catholic disciple of Jesus
Jul 2, 2010
The woods and lakes of the Great North
✟60,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Some people say Pope Francis isn't being tough enough, but it could be that he is being thwarted by the people around him, bishops and Cardinals who are still acting like they can protect the Church by ignoring the problem. It is really discouraging that they are still miss-treating those who were abused.

Upvote 0