Abstinence

ReesePiece23

The Peanut Buttery Member.
Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
But in your other post it seemed like you were trying to justify it by saying that it's a road block to our main purpose due to the sexual frustration.

God doesn't say, "You're sexually frustrated and can't fulfill your duties? Ok fine go ahead."

Not at all. It's more like.. "Do you love me and do you love me more than you love sin? Yes? Then, repent. Keep my commandments. Act upon the needs of the spirit and not of the flesh."

You're not understanding me, at all. (If in doubt, listen to Richard T - he's doing a better job of explaining it.)

And I have to tell you, if a partner asked you "Do you love me?" And then replied to your answer with "Then..." - you'd be forgiven if you were to assume that they were an abusive tyrant. (Because they almost certainly would be.)

There are NO ultimatums with God in my eyes - and I don't care what anybody says. The very being that created love itself knows how to love without being a bully. He'll have ways of signposting you without need to resort to bullish tactics. (And Jesus is perfect so WE don't have to be.)

I'll put it to you like this. I was 'active' in my late teens/early twenties before I came into faith. I don't miss sex because I was offered a FAR better alternative. A faith in Him and a defined purpose - THAT is what I'm talking about.

Girlfriends - even wives, can come and go. But a solid relationship with Him and a sound interpersonal one with yourself are the two relationships that are guaranteed to last forever. Some people are spiritually gifted - in that they can read scripture and it sticks straight away. But most of us NEED to make mistakes and come round several times over in order to actually understand.

It's all relative.

• Agree
Reactions: Nicholina
Upvote 0

Rest

Jul 14, 2020
West
✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You're not understanding me, at all. (If in doubt, listen to Richard T - he's doing a better job of explaining it.)

And I have to tell you, if a partner asked you "Do you love me?" And then replied to your answer with "Then..." - you'd be forgiven if you were to assume that they were an abusive tyrant. (Because they almost certainly would be.)

There are NO ultimatums with God in my eyes - and I don't care what anybody says. The very being that created love itself knows how to love without being a bully. He'll have ways of signposting you without need to resort to bullish tactics. (And Jesus is perfect so WE don't have to be.)

I'll put it to you like this. I was 'active' in my late teens/early twenties before I came into faith. I don't miss sex because I was offered a FAR better alternative. A faith in Him and a defined purpose - THAT is what I'm talking about.

Girlfriends - even wives, can come and go. But a solid relationship with Him and a sound interpersonal one with yourself are the two relationships that are guaranteed to last forever. Some people are spiritually gifted - in that they can read scripture and it sticks straight away. But most of us NEED to make mistakes and come round several times over in order to actually understand.

It's all relative.
It's not that God will or is bullying us if we make a mistake and fornicate. If we are saved and repent, we will not be condemned - period. God knows that we aren't going to stop sinning but He still wants us to keep His commandments. What did Christ tell the prostitute after they nearly stoned her? "Stop sinning." He didn't say this thinking that she was really going to never commit a sin, He said this because He wants her to repent of her sins. We are going to make mistakes, obviously.. but we should not under any circumstance live in a way that justifies our sins or under the impression that "ahh what the heck, God will forgive me anyway." That's not repentance. With true heartfelt repentance comes personal growth and not the perpetual backslide that unsaved sinners and unrepenting christians often face. Those that are truly saved have an unrelenting desire to keep Gods commandments and they feel the condemnation themselves without God having to do that for them. There is a deep and genuine sorrow for disappointing the Father that God then chooses to embrace us with unconditional love when we go to Him. I would hate to live in a way that causes me to do as I please because I'm forgiven no matter what or even in a way that I'm going to continue to follow biblical principle so long as it falls in line with what I carnally want. We've got to remain in the spirit and each day put on the full armor of God.

Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
It's not that God will or is bullying us if we make a mistake and fornicate. If we are saved and repent, we will not be condemned - period. God knows that we aren't going to stop sinning but He still wants us to keep His commandments. What did Christ tell the prostitute after they nearly stoned her? "Stop sinning." He didn't say this thinking that she was really going to never commit a sin, He said this because He wants her to repent of her sins. We are going to make mistakes, obviously.. but we should not under any circumstance live in a way that justifies our sins or under the impression that "ahh what the heck, God will forgive me anyway." That's not repentance. With true heartfelt repentance comes personal growth and not the perpetual backslide that unsaved sinners and unrepenting christians often face. Those that are truly saved have an unrelenting desire to keep Gods commandments and they feel the condemnation themselves without God having to do that for them. There is a deep and genuine sorrow for disappointing the Father that God then chooses to embrace us with unconditional love when we go to Him. I would hate to live in a way that causes me to do as I please because I'm forgiven no matter what or even in a way that I'm going to continue to follow biblical principle so long as it falls in line with what I carnally want. We've got to remain in the spirit and each day put on the full armor of God.

I can get on board with that.

I think I'm trying to explain a feeling that I JUST can't explain. I'm not calling you dumb, or anything like that, I think that the fault lies with me.

There's an academic understanding, and THEN there's this feeling that affirms it. I believe in abstinence. Sleeping around - even if when it's your girlfriend, can cause this feeling to billow out from your soul like the air from a slashed tyre.

It's love, misdirected. And why I think there's so much depression in society today. People chase the wrong things.

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Abstinence is not important to you? So fornication is important to you, good luck with heaven!

Well, maybe you can help me .. When I was young the Bible used the word fornication which we understood to mean premarital sex. But when I you in my 20's and bought new translations the word fornication wasn't in the Bible any more. I found the words sexual immorality or something similar depending on which translation I was reading. So what is sexual immoral? The Bible doesn't tell me in those translations.
So I have looked for for some article that would explain to me why Bible translators change the words they us. I've not found one article. So the Bible has hat two meanings of this work in my life time. How is that so?
If you can explain that maybe you can also explain to me why the meaning of fornication changed its meaning in the Elizabethan period from prostitution to premarital sex.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"He writes the same way in all his letters, speaking in them of these matters. His letters contain some things that are hard to understand, which ignorant and unstable people distort, as they do the other Scriptures, to their own destruction." 2 Peter 3:16

Upvote 0

GospelS

A Daughter of Zion Seeking Her Father in Heaven!
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,410.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Brothers, really. I'm no one to tell you but even heathens understand that sex is consummation of a marriage covenant and that it symbolizes an unbreakable covenant relationship.

Should the scriptures have to tell that and we dare point out words used in the Bible translations for such a thing? I think we should be ashamed to take the name of the Lord in vain.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Before we interpret letters in scripture, it's wise to understand the context of those letters. For example:

1. Who was the author writing to?
2. Why was the author writing to them?
3. What was the background situation?

Here is a useful resource that explains some of the context of Paul's letter to the Corinthians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GospelS

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,410.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Oh, and it took me until nine o'clock for someone to tell me that I should be ashamed of myself.

Personal bests to take into tomorrow.

If that is speaking to you then you also know that's how much I love my brothers in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ReesePiece23

Sep 17, 2013
✟288,277.00
Faith
Christian
Before we interpret letters in scripture, it's wise to understand the context of those letters. For example:

1. Who was the author writing to?
2. Why was the author writing to them?
3. What was the background situation?

Here is a useful resource that explains some of the context of Paul's letter to the Corinthians.

This is ESSENTIAL reading.

There's a very good reason why pastors and reverends attended university and study for a lifetime. Because research is king.

I'm not out to be 'right'.

Reactions: dayhiker
Upvote 0

GospelS

Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2017
She is The Land!
✟450,410.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're in danger of gas lighting just ever so slightly there.

Lol. Ok. I see why the disconnect. Anyways, have fun and take care. Hope to catch you guys later in a different thread.

Upvote 0

Nicholina

Aug 31, 2019
San Francisco, CA
✟19,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Since being saved, sex outside of marriage seems as appealing to me as eating garbage or filth. I am still a sinner in need of sanctification, but I am grateful to God for giving me the ears to hear His truth and the desire to please Him. This wasn't anything I did or worked to achieve or overcome, but simply His saving grace and mercy.

• Friendly
Reactions: Rest
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sir Robbins

Waiting for Fall
Sep 28, 2012
Saint Augustine, FL
✟52,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Libertarian
Abstinence is not important to you? So fornication is important to you, good luck with heaven!

Heaven should not be the goal, God is the goal. All will be judged but those whom are saved and have God have nothing to fear upon death, regardless of sin as they are washed away....

Upvote 0

JustSomeBloke

Unacceptable Fringe Minority
Site Supporter
Sep 10, 2018
My Home
✟177,126.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I take my guidance from Genesis 2:24. That verse is re-iterated by Jesus in Matthew 19:5 (in response to a question from some Pharisees), so the topic of relationships, marriage, divorce, and adultery is clearly important to God.

I don't have any theological training and I'm not a Bible scholar. That's just my own interpretation of how I think God wants me to live. Everyone must come to their own decision on the matter.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟946,843.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Rest,

Abstinence was a bigger focus when I established the practice. Now its a way of life and I don’t think about it. I liken it to water. In the beginning you monitor consumption until you reach the point when its a part of you.

If I’m struggling my first recourse is prayer or prayer and fasting for unrelenting problems. I get alone with God and listen for His input. I want to hear from Him before I turn to others (friend, sermon, etc.). This allows me to gauge opinions against the word and His feedback.

For the most part, I discuss challenges with mature believers operating in the gifts of intercession and wisdom. I don’t want advice. I want someone who understands the necessity of getting directives from above who’ll seek the same on my behalf.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Upvote 0

Rest

Jul 14, 2020
West
✟17,848.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Rest,

Abstinence was a bigger focus when I established the practice. Now its a way of life and I don’t think about it. I liken it to water. In the beginning you monitor consumption until you reach the point when its a part of you.

If I’m struggling my first recourse is prayer or prayer and fasting for unrelenting problems. I get alone with God and listen for His input. I want to hear from Him before I turn to others (friend, sermon, etc.). This allows me to gauge opinions against the word and His feedback.

For the most part, I discuss challenges with mature believers operating in the gifts of intercession and wisdom. I don’t want advice. I want someone who understands the necessity of getting directives from above who’ll seek the same on my behalf.

Yours in His Service,

~Bella

Good insight as always. The pleasure and satisfaction that I get from being in complete oneness with Christ is greater than anything else on Earth.

• Friendly
Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0