Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Because, we still tangle with the flesh, yet to be resurrected from the dead.

Again, I repeat, there are two uses for the term "flesh." Why is that so hard to understand?

The flesh in Galatians 5 is the sin nature, not our body that is to be resurrected. By staying in the Spirit, you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh, you are NOT IN THE FLESH Romans 8:9. It is important to not to quench the Spirit. Otherwise, you will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Our salvation is only sure IF you stay in the Spirit and DO those things pleasing to God, which those who want to fulfill the lust of the flesh will not do to their demise.

Upvote 0

1am3laine

Oct 9, 2017
Detroit
Visit site
✟68,961.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This link contains error after error, and does nothing to advance this discussion.We did not have pre-existence.

But we did have pre-existence = Jeremiah 1:5
Because how can GOD know us before we were in the womb if we didn't exist.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Again, I repeat, there are two uses for the term "flesh." Why is that so hard to understand?

The flesh in Galatians 5 is the sin nature, not our body that is to be resurrected. By staying in the Spirit, you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh, you are NOT IN THE FLESH Romans 8:9. It is important to not to quench the Spirit. Otherwise, you will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Our salvation is only sure IF you stay in the Spirit and DO those things pleasing to God, which those who want to fulfill the lust of the flesh will not do to their demise.
The flesh is the memory and thinking part of the body. The spirit uses it but fights it's corruption.

Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Dear Fiction: The Last Adam, the Lord Christ, restores the mass (the polus) "made sinners" in the 1st Adam and makes that same mass (the polus) "righteous". The subjection of the mass is not by Adam1 but by the Author of ta panta!

From Him the all comes, through Him the all exists & in Him the all ends..

Not only panta, but "ta" preceding it.

Romans 8:20 - For the creation was subjected to frustration, not by its own choice, but by the will of the one who subjected it, in hope.
I see. I didn't look closely enough at what was being said. I'm distracted by answering other posts and not paying very much attention. Sorry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 16, 2011
Home
Visit site
✟234,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It is a valid description. Ultimately, salvation is wholly dependent on man and what he choose do with his supposedly "free will". As described in the definition supplies above.

Funny too, the source is one speaking with in EO, and states specifically:

""synergy"--"working together." This working together is the collaboration of God's grace and a person's will."

Which is exactly what I said!

"Synergism is "...the [erroneous] doctrine that there are two efficient agents in regeneration, namely the human will and the divine Spirit, which, in the strict sense of the term, cooperate. This theory accordingly holds that the soul has not lost in the fall all inclination toward holiness, nor all power to seek for it under the influence of ordinary motives."To put it simply, synergism is the belief that faith is produced by our unregenerated human nature.

"I say that man, before he is renewed into the new creation of the Spirit's kingdom, does and endeavours nothing to prepare himself for that new creation and kingdom, and when he is re-created has does and endeavors nothing towards his perseverance in that kingdom; but the Spirit alone works both blessings in us, regenerating us, and preserving us when regenerate, without ourselves..."

Martin Luther Bondage of the Will, pg. 268"

Source

That's funny in that Jesus said everything He did was dependent on God.

"I can of mine own self do nothing:" -Jn. 5:30 (KJV)

"I can of mine own self do nothing
This is the conclusion of the matter, the winding up of the several arguments concerning the Son's equality to the Father, and the application of the whole to Christ. He had before been chiefly speaking of the Son, in relation to the Father, as if he was a third person; but now he applies what he had said of the Son to himself: and it is as if he had said, I am the Son that can do nothing separate from the Father, and contrary to his will,"

Source

In spite of everything said in the scriptures, it is God that not only calls, but also causes them to be drawn. (Psa. 65:4; Jn. 12:32)

"Monergism is the view within Christian theology which holds that God works through the Holy Spirit to bring about the salvation of an individual through spiritual regeneration,"

Source

Synergists teach that 'All can come to Christ of their own free will', but Jesus teaches that 'no one can come to me unless it is granted him by the Father.' (John 6:65) and all whom He grants will come (John 6:37)

Free Will Synergism Vs. Free Grace Monergism, John Hendryx

"The “Calvinist vs. Arminian” debate is substantially a debate between what is called “monergism” and “synergism.” There is no third option (unless one is willing to affirm Pelagianism). For those who are new to the Calvinist-Arminian debate, the following is a primer on the two perennial branches of theological systems in Christianity. Or to put it another way, there are two very different ways for believers to view their salvation.

In general, the first type (the Arminian-Synergist) affirms what is called “synergism.” Synergists believe that two forces in the universe are necessary to bring about regeneration in the life of the sinner. In specifics, the two forces at work (cooperation) that are necessary to bring about regeneration, or spiritual life, is the will of man and the Holy Spirit (grace).

To put it another way, the work of the Holy Spirit is dependent on the creature’s will, hence, “synergism” (working together). These individuals will sincerely say, “I believe in grace alone.” But in reality, they believe that grace is not alone (sufficient), but that man’s will is necessary for regeneration to be effective.

It could be said that these individuals are “functional” Arminians because even though some will deny the label, their theology functions synergistically (thus, how they identify themselves is inconsistent with what they teach and believe)."

Source

So in spite of you saying I was wrong about synergism, I'm not. Actually I'm quite correct! In synergism, man is responsible in co-operating with God to bring about his own salvation:

"Concerning salvation, is it finished/complete or is there something left to do? Jesus is the Savior of the world and Lord of the universe whether we choose to acknowledge him/it or not.

Another question to ask is: in the process of salvation, who is the ultimate savior? With a synergistic view man is the ultimate savior of himself. Jesus can do his part but it is my decision that ultimately tips the scales and secures my salvation. This is in effect being saved by something we do, a work. Grace/faith + something."

Source

Everything I said, was correct!

If I dare to take any part of God's work in salvation, such as saying of my own free will I chose to accept and believe, means I played some part in bringing about my own salvation.

I will be able to stand up in heaven with a sign and brag that I'm there because I chose of my own free will to believe. I will be able to brag. I will be able to do something Abraham can't do.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Human beings are endowed with wills, which they can choose to make subject to the Divine will, as Christ does and as His true followers do. Thus, synergy is real, in spite of what Luther and what Calvin believed and taught. (Matthew 26:39)

Your's is not a valid description of synergy, because synergists are aware that the will of sinful man (in contrast to the human will in Christ) is tarnished by the fall, and can therefore do nothing without the help of grace. Yet there is still an awareness that the human will is still an active participant in salvation when it cooperates with grace. If it weren't, then many of Christ's teachings, such as that found in Matthew 26:41, would be given pointlessly, if indeed we have no choice in such matters anyhow. Yet, there is nothing to ever brag about, because it is the grace that saves, without which the will is to no effect. Orthodox saints don't brag. They are humble; giving all glory to God, knowing that its by grace they are saved, through faith, yet fully aware of the existence of the God-given will to either choose or reject the will of God.

More praying and less private conjecture opens the eyes of the blind to the knowledge of God, to the understandings of His teachings, and of the nature of our relationship with God.

In sum, Deacon, you are still wrong to be monergist, having a flawed understanding of synergy, and will remain so until you are taught by God through greater personal experience of grace, rather than relying upon your own power of private conjecture in the manner of your fathers; Luther, Calvin, and the like.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ICONO'CLAST
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The flesh is the memory and thinking part of the body. The spirit uses it but fights it's corruption.

What does "you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit" mean to you, and is it possible to stay there?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What does "you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit" mean to you, and is it possible to stay there?
It means you follow holiness in the power of the Spirit. And not the cravings of the flesh.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
It means you follow holiness in the power of the Spirit. And not the cravings of the flesh.

Exactly, so why are you talking about waiting for the resurrection?

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly, so why are you talking about waiting for the resurrection?
Your mind and body are the flesh but it doesn't become fully renewed until the resurrection. (But we partially renew our minds now by the washing of the word so the cravings of the flesh become less and less). Your born again spirit is perfect and goes to heaven at time of death.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Your mind and body are the flesh but it doesn't become fully renewed until the resurrection. (But we partially renew our minds now by the washing of the word so the cravings of the flesh become less and less). Your born again spirit is perfect and goes to heaven at time of death.

But you don't HAVE TO yield to the flesh after receiving the Spirit. You believe you must. I don't. This is why Paul said to not quench the Spirit. Once the desire to sin is gone, why resurrect it? Receiving the Spirit is not partial, but full. Because if you do choose to sin afterwards, you virtually choose another master other than God.

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But you don't HAVE TO yield to the flesh after receiving the Spirit. You believe you must. I don't. This is why Paul said to not quench the Spirit. Once the desire to sin is gone, why resurrect it? Receiving the Spirit is not partial, but full. Because if you do choose to sin afterwards, you virtually choose another master other than God.

Romans 6:16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
I agree with you. We do not have to yield to the flesh. God always provides a way of escape. But the flesh craves sin and hates holiness.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with you. We do not have to yield to the flesh. God always provides a way of escape. But the flesh craves sin and hates holiness.

You're wrong about a Christian's flesh or nature, though there are many in the Church unregenerated and unsaved. That desire to sin is gone. But not by anything we've done. The old cravings do not call to us like they did before the powerful baptism of the Holy Spirit given to us as a free gift from Jesus. Jesus makes us free from sin. That is why if you don't have this all powerful Holy Spirit of God living within you, you don't belong to Him. John 8:36 "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

(in context to show that it is sin we are free of...
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.

Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You're wrong about a Christian's flesh or nature, though there are many in the Church unregenerated and unsaved. That desire to sin is gone. But not by anything we've done. The old cravings do not call to us like they did before the powerful baptism of the Holy Spirit given to us as a free gift from Jesus. Jesus makes us free from sin. That is why if you don't have this all powerful Holy Spirit of God living within you, you don't belong to Him. John 8:36 "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."

(in context to show that it is sin we are free of...
34 Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. 35 And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. 36 Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.
Who's sinning. Are you ever tempted? It's the flesh alive, cunning and well.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Who's sinning. Are you ever tempted? It's the flesh alive, cunning and well.

Everyone has temptations come across their path, but they just don't interest me. Not because of anything I've done, just that the desires to repeat the sins of my past have been taken away. Jesus was manifest to take away our sin, and in Him there is no sin.

• Winner
Reactions: Dave L
Upvote 0

Dave L

Site Supporter
Jun 28, 2018
USA
✟580,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Everyone has temptations come across their path, but they just don't interest me. Not because of anything I've done, just that the desires to repeat the sins of my past have been taken away. Jesus was manifest to take away our sin, and in Him there is no sin.
But the flesh is the focus of most of our battles.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1stcenturylady

Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
But the flesh is the focus of most of our battles.

What battles? What you are not getting about this, is that the flesh is only a "battle" for the unregenerate, both inside and outside the Church. Stop placating them! Because that is what you are doing telling them they will always battle the flesh. That is defeatist theology. If they are always battling the flesh, they are battling from their flesh and not the Spirit at all.

We must be born again of the Spirit. When Jesus said we shall be free indeed, He didn't mean just part-way and that we must make up the rest. That is works. No! We soon realize we can do nothing good without the power from Him to do so. Ask to receive His Spirit. Then we have to stay in the Spirit and endure to the end. That's all, just yield, not struggle. Jesus gave us EVERYTHING we need, and taken away the things (like our flesh) that tripped us up while we were yet in sin.

This is why it is so important for the Church to teach on the baptism of the Holy Spirit. Just REPENT! Acts 2:38 That means to want only Jesus, and not the world. To be scrubbed clean. "Create in me a new heart, Oh, Lord, and renew a right spirit within me." Those are the very words of the scripture I prayed 41 years ago, and He did! It felt (yes, I could actually feel the baptism) something like warm oil being poured over my head and reaching my toes. I began to feel so light I had to look at my feet to see if they were still on the ground. That is what everyone needs in the Church- not religiosity, and especially defeatist false theology. But relationship with His POWER inside.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ICONO'CLAST

Apr 2, 2005
new york
✟93,319.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But we did have pre-existence = Jeremiah 1:5
Because how can GOD know us before we were in the womb if we didn't exist.
God...is God. In other words, He is unlimited in knowledge and perfection above and beyond what we can ask or think.
isa55:
8 For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord.

9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

rom11;
33 O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!

34 For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counselor?

35 Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again?

36 For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory forever. Amen.

God is unique. As created beings, we are totally dependent on God to reveal himself to us.

God knew all of his Sheep by name before they were born.
psalm139:
Psalm 139 King James Version (KJV)
139 O lord, thou hast searched me, and known me.

2 Thou knowest my downsitting and mine uprising, thou understandest my thought afar off.

3 Thou compassest my path and my lying down, and art acquainted with all my ways.

4 For there is not a word in my tongue, but, lo, O Lord, thou knowest it altogether.

5 Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid thine hand upon me.

6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain unto it.

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?

8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.

9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;

10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.

11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.

12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

14 I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well.

15 My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.

16 Thine eyes did see my substance, yet being unperfect; and in thy book all my members were written, which in continuance were fashioned, when as yet there was none of them.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
INTRODUCTORY REMARKS:

The next group of blog posts were written for an online conversation about “Calvinism.” I visited a forum and found plenty of misunderstanding surrounding the subject of Reformed theology so I set out to engage the posters in conversation and debate to help add clarity to the situation. It was declared by more than one poster on the forum that “Calvinism was unbiblical,” that they were “Biblicists.” Ok, fine. I reworked the posts for this blog.

Here goes…

“What are the doctrines of grace?”

The Doctrines of Grace, also known as Calvinism, are summarized as:

1. T is for total depravity and inability of man to effect his own salvation.
  2. U is for unconditional or unlimited choice of God in election.
  3. L is for limited atonement.
  4. I is for irresistible grace.
  5. P is for the perseverance of the saints.
These “five points” are often called the Five Points of Calvinism but that is actually a misnomer. John Calvin did not write them and they were written only in response to the raise of Arminianism.

Does the Bible teach “Calvinism?” Before we get to scripture a little background.

Both Reformed Christians and other non-Reformed or Arminian Christians love the word of God and seek to conform to the word in all matters of faith and practice. Both groups believe they are expressing biblical doctrine and faith. Often those who oppose what is called “Calvinism” will lay claim to being a “Biblicist.” In my experience this claim is made in the spirit of obstinacy, one that simply ignores the facts of profane history, and embraces a modernistic view of theology. The person holding to such views often does so with an air of superiority, as if the person making this claim has a completely biblical theology “untainted” by any theologian. Both the Calvinist and Arminian lay claim to the idea of Biblicism. Both systems of theology believe they are expressing the literal, historical, and grammatical meaning of scripture. It is a pejorative when someone fails to recognize their own theological leanings, and claim the Calvinist is not attempting to explain what the divine word teaches. You will notice that I use the term Arminian for Bible believing Christians that support ideas about free will and I often use both identifiers together (ex. Arminian free will, free will Arminianism, etc.). This is not a slight but a historical theological definition to the chagrin of the Post-Modernist mind. To help clear the air I’ve included some questions. Many of them are my own, some of them I worked on with friends and others I’ve picked up from forums when having discussions about such theological issues.

Do you believe that human nature was gravely affected by the fall of Adam, but that sinners have not been left powerlessness in spiritual matters and can choose to be saved?

Do you believe that God enables every sinner to repent and believe but does not override man’s freedom to do so?

Do you believe each sinner possesses a free will that they will use to decide their final destiny depending on how they uses it?
Do you believe the sinners free will enables them to choose good over evil in spiritual matters?

Do you believe the sinner has the power to cooperate with the Holy Spirit and be regenerated or refuse to accept God’s grace and perish?

Do you believe the lost sinner needs help from the Holy Spirit but does not have to be regenerated by the Spirit to believe? Or that faith is man’s act and precedes regeneration?

Do you believe that God’s choice in election is based on what He foresees?

Do you believe that some sinners would respond to the preaching of the Gospel and God therefore elects them unto salvation based on His knowledge of their choice? Or that God decided to elect only those who would believe the Gospel?

Do you believe election is ultimately determined by man’s faith foreseen by God from eternity past?

Do you believe that Christ’s saving work on the cross made it a possibility for everyone single person that has ever lived to be saved but did not really secure the salvation of anyone?

Do you believe that Christ died for all sinners but only those who believe on Him are saved?

Do you believe Christ’s death enabled God to pardon sinners on the condition that they believe?

Do you believe that Christ’s death did not actually put away anyone’s sin but made salvation a possibility?

Do you believe that redemption becomes efficient only if man chooses to believe it?

If you have answered yes to any of the above questions you are probably closer to Arminianism than you first believed, even if you reject the name. The history of the free will movement among Protestants sits squarely within the Arminian framework. If you answer yes to most of the questions, face it, you are an Arminian.

Once it is understood that modern Evangelicalism has a tradition wedded to Arminianism the debate breaks down into monergism and synergism. The free will Arminian tradition is very similar to Roman Catholicism. In fact, Arminius like Philipp Melanchthon before him, softened the Protestant doctrine moving Lutherianism toward the Roman church. When I say Protestant I refer to Martin Luther, Huldrych Zwingli and John Calvin. All there Reformers held to what is now called “Calvinism.” This is a remarkable fact considering the Reformers lived in different geographical locations.

The Reformers and Bible believers before them were monergists. A monergist believes the Holy Spirit will act effectually bringing sinners to salvation by spiritual regeneration. This is done without the sinner acting as an accomplice or assisting God. From beginning to end the work belongs to God. A synergist on the other hand believes the sinner must cooperate (Christ + something, you fill in the blank, faith, sacraments, works, etc.) in the salvation process often inserting ideas like “prevenient grace” to help explain the inconsistencies. For the Arminian or Christian supporting libertarian free will, it is the act of the unregenerate sinner in believing that begins the process of salvation. One dictionary describe this view as, “two efficient agents [acting] in regeneration, namely the human will and the divine Spirit, which, in the strict sense of the term, cooperate.” This is the definition of modern Evangelism and is the hinge on which the discussion swings.

Do you believe a sinner must be saved purely by an act of God? or, Do you believe a sinner is saved by cooperating with the Holy Spirit? That is where we are today folks. We are discussing this very issue. Does the Bible teach that we are saved by God alone without any contribution made by the sinner? Or Does the Bible teach that we cooperate in the regeneration process? As we move forward I pray you take time to look up the passages cited and pray over them. It is important to read scripture as it is written and not fall to peer pressure, setting aside the Arminian comprise with Rome and let the Gospel of God’s free and unmerited grace wash over you. Let’s set aside our prejudices or bias, our traditions including American Evangelicalism or Reformed Calvinism and consider what scriptures teach.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT OUR SPIRITUAL STATE:

The Bible makes no bones about it; we are spiritually dead due to the sin of Adam, in whom we all sinned.

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him. (Gen 2) (full treatment of this passage please see Faces of Death by Dr. Pipa)

Adam stood as our federal or covenant head before God so when he took of the fruit and sinned we sinned with him. God’s instructions to Adam were very simple, “do and live.” (For further explanation please see (The Proto-Evangelium)

Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. (Psa 51:5)

The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies. (Psa 58:3)

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. (Joh 3:5-7)

Christ explains “that which is born of flesh is flesh.” The flesh can do nothing spiritual.

All humanity was in Adam covenantally.

Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned: (Rom 5:12)

Notice that “by nature,” that is in our nature (“flesh is flesh”) state we were “children of wrath.” We were in a sinful state and fulfilled our own “desires of the flesh.”

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others. (Eph 2:1-3)

And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; (Col 2:13)

God does the “quickening” or makes us alive, the actions of God are not subject to the creature, for He is all knowing and all powerful.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT OUR MINDS AND HEARTS:

Due to our sinful state described in the scriptures above, our minds and hearts are subject to the desires and lusts of the flesh.

And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. (Gen 6:5)

And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake; for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done. (Gen 8:21)

We find in the holy word of God that mankind’s “imagination and thoughts” are singularly evil. That is in opposition to good or spiritual.

Now, keep in mind what the New Covenant entails. It is a replacing of the stony heart with a living heart. (Jer. 31) Scripture is pretty clear that our heart is wickedly evil which is why we need a new heart and that heart is given when we are regenerated spiritually. This inherent wickedness means we must reply on Christ alone for every part of our salvation because Christ is “the author AND finisher of our faith.”

This is an evil among all things that are done under the sun, that there is one event unto all: yea, also the heart of the sons of men is full of evil, and madness is in their heart while they live, and after that they go to the dead. (Ecc 9:3)

The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it? (Jer 17:9)

We often like to kid ourselves by proclaiming that “I made a decision, I turned it around. Here I am Lord. Ain’t I something! You owe me Lord because I believed in you.” This is the pride of trusting in ones decision to believe and not believing upon Christ for salvation. The heart is wicked, Lord help us it is wicked! In us there is no good thing, that’s what the Bible teaches and because the Bible teaches we are not entitled to even the offer of salvation we must, we MUST trust in Christ alone for it all. That is what Calvin taught.

Jesus Christ our Lord and our only hope of salvation described our hearts so we could get a clear picture of what we are truly like.

For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, Thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lasciviousness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness: All these evil things come from within, and defile the man. (Mar 7:21-23)

If this is what we are truly like (“flesh is flesh”) how in the world do we get to a place where we can believe? We could come up with our own ideas but what does the Bible say? I’ll get to that. Keep in mind“flesh is flesh” and the words of Jesus Christ Himself about our nature and what we are capable or incapable of as we continue studying the word.

Jesus tells us why He is rejected, “And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.” (Joh 3:19) Folks, no one believes on their own steam. There is nothing in you that would allow you to choose on your own free will Jesus Christ.

Why is that?

Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God. But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Rom 8:7-9)

Again, why can’t we who are in the flesh flesh choose Christ? Because spiritual things are “spiritually discerned.”

the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1Co 2:14)

The free will Arminian believes he can receive spiritual things before he is regenerated, that he can get by on his own and then, by his decision, will receive the new birth. (see also decisional regeneration)

Our lives after regeneration/being born again compared to what our lives were like in the flesh:

This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind, Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart: Who being past feeling have given themselves over unto lasciviousness, to work all uncleanness with greediness. (Eph 4:17-19)

For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (Eph 5:8)

Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is defiled. (Tit 1:15)

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT OUR BONDAGE TO SIN & SATAN:

Due to our fallen nature we need Christ for salvation. Not just to make salvation possible but to actually save us from our sinful selves. We need Christ for everything, for salvation and holinesds. His propitiatory work on the cross accomplished that. In the flesh we remain in bondage to sin and Satan and only Christ and Christ alone can free us.

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. (Joh 8:34)

According to Strong’s the word servant means “a slave (literally or figuratively, involuntarily or voluntarily; frequently therefore in a qualified sense of subjection or subserviency): – bond (-man), servant.” Before we receive regeneration by the Holy Spirit we are slaves to sin and because our will is fall, not free, we sin wilfully. We want to sin. That is why Christ was rejected, “this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light,”

Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. (Joh 8:44)

For when ye were the servants of sin, ye were free from righteousness. (Rom 6:20)

The Bible clearly teaches that man is completely wicked, dead in sin and produces nothing good spiritually so God makes us alive even though we were “dead in trespasses and sins” and unable to see the error of our ways. That is the teaching of the Reformers.

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience: (Eph 2:1-2)

Our Triune God condescended to save us BECAUSE we have been taken captive by Satan and serve him willingly. We are sinners by nature and sinners by choice.

In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. (2Ti 2:25-26)

For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. (Tit 3:3)

In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother. (1Jn 3:10)

And we know that we are of God, and the whole world lieth in wickedness. (1Jn 5:19)

That’s right folks, the WHOLE WORLD LIETH IN WICKEDNESS. Sin and wickedness is not something we can avoid being tainted with, it affects everything about us.

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT THE UNIVERSAL SPREAD OF SIN:

The Bible teaches that each and everyone of us is in a state of total spiritual depravity making us unable to change.

If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near; (1Ki 8:46 see also 2 Cor. 6:36)

What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous? Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight. How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water? (Job 15:14-16)

The total spiritual depravity of mankind is universal. No one, not one of us, is free from the bondage of sin until the Holy Spirit makes us free.

If they sin against thee, (for there is no man that sinneth not,) and thou be angry with them, and deliver them to the enemy, so that they carry them away captives unto the land of the enemy, far or near; (1Ki 8:46 see also 2 Chr. 6:36)

What is man, that he should be clean? and he which is born of a woman, that he should be righteous? Behold, he putteth no trust in his saints; yea, the heavens are not clean in his sight. How much more abominable and filthy is man, which drinketh iniquity like water? (Job 15:14-16)

If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? (Psa 130:3)

A rhetorical question is offered by the Psalmist and the answer is “no one.” The free will view teaches that anyone in the flesh can approach God by faith, without regeneration, and receive justification. This is simply untrue.

No one can seek to be justified while in the flesh. (“flesh is flesh”)

And enter not into judgment with thy servant: for in thy sight shall no man living be justified. (Psa 143:2)

Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin? (Pro 20:9)

For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not. (Ecc 7:20)

Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions. (Ecc 7:29)

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. (Isa 53:6)

Again, we find that in the flesh we “have not heard” the spiritual offer of the Gospel. In the flesh we cannot perceive the preaching of the Gospel!

For since the beginning of the world men have not heard, nor perceived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, beside thee, what he hath prepared for him that waiteth for him. (Isa 64:4)

What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (Rom 3:9-12)

For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body. (Jas 3:2)

But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. (Jas 3:8)

The Bible describes sin in such a way that leaves us slaves to it and unable to even understand the Gospel, if we reject this biblical idea “we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” That’s how serious this biblical doctrine is. If you say, “I’m not as bad as the Bible teaches or he’s making me out to be” “we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.” Thank God most who believe in free will do so inconsistently.

If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. (1Jn 1:8)

If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us. (1Jn)

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,852.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
THE BIBLE TEACHES THAT ON OUR OWN WE HAVE NO ABILITY TO CHANGE:

The Old Testament is consistent with the New.

Who can bring a clean thing out of an unclean? not one. (Job 14:4)

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. (Matt 7)

Belief in Christ, God the incarnate, is a good thing…is it not? If what the Bible teaches about our fallen nature in Adam we cannot bring forth any “good fruit” including belief.

Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit. (Matt 12:33)

Again, Christ supports what is called “Calvinism.” NO MAN can come, that means no one is able, to come to Christ for salvation.

No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. (John 6:44)

All that are drawn are drawn to Christ for salvation and not just a chance for salvation. In John 6 Christ tells us that He will raise up all those who are drawn and the context is unto salvation.

And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. (John 6:65)

Only through Christ’s drawing can we find salvation. There is nothing good in us, no good fruit, and no prevenient grace offered. Only the goodness of God in the salvation of sinners.

Or who hath first given to him, and it shall be recompensed unto him again? For of him, and through him, and to him, are all things: to whom be glory for ever. Amen. (Ro 11)

But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned. (1 Cor 2:14)

It is the pure grace of God alone that makes one differ from another. We cannot discern spiritual matters without God making a change, a difference in us, and this change allows us to believe. Ask yourself,

For who maketh thee to differ from another? and what hast thou that thou didst not receive? now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou hadst not received it? (1 Cor 4:7)

Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; (2 Cor 4:7)

WHAT THE BIBLE TEACHES ABOUT GOD’S CHOICE IN SALVATION:

Behold, the heaven and the heaven of heavens is the Lord’s thy God, the earth also, with all that therein is. Only the Lord had a delight in thy fathers to love them, and he chose their seed after them, even you above all people, as it is this day. (Deut 10)

If Israel was chosen under the old covenant of works to be a special people unto God why would God not operate the same way in the new? Let’s be consistent folks. God is the same yesterday, today and forever. His will shall be done, not ours.

Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord; and the people whom he hath chosen for his own inheritance. (Psa 33:12)

God chooses.

Blessed is the man whom thou choosest, and causest to approach unto thee, that he may dwell in thy courts: we shall be satisfied with the goodness of thy house, even of thy holy temple. (Psa 65:4)

That I may see the good of thy chosen, that I may rejoice in the gladness of thy nation, that I may glory with thine inheritance. (Psa 106:5)

In that day, saith the Lord of hosts, will I take thee, O Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the Lord, and will make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the Lord of hosts. (Hag 2:23)

The Son must reveal Himself to be known.

All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him. (Matt 11)

Many are called through the preaching of the Gospel but the Son only reveals Himself to the chosen. This teaching should shatter any spiritual pride a person might hold to, it should make us burry our faces in the dust and weep with joy for what Christ has done for us. Even though we are desperately wicked and deserve Hell God has chosen some for salvation. Isn’t that mind blowing? That should make you drop to your knees in prayer and thanksgiving.

For many are called, but few are chosen. (Matt 22)

The flesh finds this teaching repugnant and people will reject this idea just as they did when Christ preached it. Keep reading…

When they had heard these words, they marvelled, and left him, and went their way. (Matt 22)

More scripture from the Epistles about being chosen or elect.

And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. (Ro 8)

Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth. (Ro 8)

As concerning the gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the father’s sakes. (Ro 11:28)

Speaking to the chosen:

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; (Col 3:12)

Those whom were chosen, elect, those who the Son revealed Himself to were not appointed to wrath but salvation.

For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, (1 Thes 5:9)

Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness; (Tit 1:1)

The Triune God of scripture is free from all limitations. God does not learn, God’s knowledge is not limited by the creatures free will, God does what He likes freely. That is without compulsion or without outside determinative influence.

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied. (1 Pet 1:1-2)

And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed. But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light; (1 Pet 2:8-9)

These shall make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb shall overcome them: for he is Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and Lord of lords, and King of kings: and they that are with him are called, and chosen, and faithful. (Rev 17:4)

Upvote 0