• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.

Absolute Morality

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by mathclub, Oct 30, 2012.

1. bricklayer

bricklayer Well-Known Member

+178
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Three Points:

Point one- It's "Thou shall not murder" not thou shall not kill. (big difference)

Point two- Morality exists within an individual but can only have being (actualized existence) in a relationship.
    God's morality exists apart from His relationship to His creation. God's morality actually exists (has being) between God the Father, God the Holy Spirit and God the Son.

Point three- God condescends to man in two ways: inspiration of the Word of God and incarnation of the Word of God.

2. Glas Ridire

Glas Ridire Well-Known Member

+118
    Celtic Catholic
    Married
    Wait, you mean to tell me that someone can legally obtain a movie before its release and show it for profit while retaining that profit without compensating its owners? Have you read that funny little screen that comes on before VHS, DVD and Bluray . . . . videos? It mentions the fact that pirating said video is illegal.

'em no. . . . you may not have read the book, judgement by God is not limited to a person's earthly lifetime. There is no "free pass", there is however redemption through Jesus Christ & not just for David.

No. 180 degrees, please. Natural Law is not man made any more than the existence of water tables and photosynthesis are man made. We may have words to define them and explain them even ways to effect them in the short term, but the untended dam eventually leaks and the plant eventually either dies or gets light. Our "control" is fleeting and the natural order is patient. That Natural Law is in harmony with the will of the God who created everything, should be of no surprise.

BTW, what theological degree do you have?

3. Shane Roach

Shane Roach Well-Known Member

+1,229
    Christian
    - Google Scholar

It's not half so complicated as you're trying to make it. Copyright violation, while illegal, is not theft, and it is dishonest to claim otherwise.

I mean, it's not dishonest to be mistaken about it obviously, but when huge corporations run around talking about theft when their legal departments obviously know better, that is lying.

Seriously? There's a death penalty for adultery and murder in the O.T. That's what I'm talking about. That much IS objectively true. You may not have read the book..... :p

At this point, I am not even sure you know what I said. The term "natural law" as you are using it is not something that came about all of a sudden, and it has a whole host of transitory philosophical and theological implications that, from a Christian standpoint, the book of Genesis simply does not suffer from.

I don't have a degree of any sort. Feel free to make boundless appeals to authority now. It'd be about par for the course.

And here was me actually thinking you and I would have fun talking. *buckles helmet back on*

4. Eudaimonist

Eudaimonist I believe in life before death!

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Oh, it gets worse. Much worse.

I'm a:
    • Cognitivist
    • Moral realist
    • Ethical naturalist
    All at the same time. :)

eudaimonia,

Mark

5. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    So, morality to you is some sort of species survivalism?

Yes, I do see what you mean. Morality to you has a context. That's much better, IMO, than making it acontextual, as some Christians try to do.

Those thoughts aren't necessarily so little. They are more sensible than most I have seen.

Yes, there is the epistemic problem.

Have you watched the video? Is your view divine command theory as described there? Or are you more of a moral realist?

eudaimonia,

Mark

6. Paxton25

Paxton25 Forgiven

+56
    Christian
    Single
    The only absolute morality is found in God. No such morality exists in this corrupted universe. It is only by God's mercy that this planet wasn't scrapped after the sins of Adam and Eve and rebuilt.

Our entire existence as a species goes on while God weaves perfection out of our imperfections. Most of our lives are lived on the backside of a tapestry: a patchwork of shapes, tangles, and cross threads--a perspective that makes little sense on its own until we get the occasional glimpse of the other side.

Then, all at once, we understand. Life's not all for nothing. There is a reason and a purpose for everything and everyone because God has given it one. He could have thrown us all in the trash, but he didn't.

God is the ultimate scavenger. Nothing or no one goes to waste. While it is true that sin (missing the mark) ultimately leads to death, that does not mean that each of us who misses the mark of absolute morality is tossed into a lake of burning sulfur or is left alone in agony for eternity.

A pardon is available to us all; all we need to do is to recognize which side of the tapestry we're on to accept it with gratitude--it's our eternal pass to the perfect and beautiful side of the tapestry.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  7. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    God should have scrapped the Earth over a piece of fruit?

Of course life is not all for nothing. :clap:

It's good to know that we're appreciated. We're trash, but he's keeping us around anyway.

We are just tools to be used.

Even though that would be justice for orcs such as us.

Yep, complete trash like us.

eudaimonia,

Mark

8. Yodeling Ice Maelstrom

Yodeling Ice Maelstrom Here by the grace of God

+0
    Non-Denom
    Single
    Yes.

Well, both. Because I believe that God is the being by whom all reality was created, and that therefore his attributes would logically have to include omnipotence, omniscience, and omnipresence, I follow the commands of God in his word to us with regard to morality. I also try to understand, from the limited human vantage I have, why God delineated morality as it is, that is to say, what the reason is for morality.

/Also, I have a long and boring postulate on why I think that the creator being would have to have those attributes, if you're interested in that.

9. JoeyArnold

JoeyArnold Well-Known Member

+60
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    no absolutes means no morality at all

10. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    How do you arrive at that conclusion, Joey?

eudaimonia,

Mark

11. JoeyArnold

+60
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    can you be absolutely sure that murder is wrong?

12. ziggy29

ziggy29 Junior Member Supporter

+38
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    God's morality is absolute. Our interpretations of it are not, because we are imperfect creatures influenced by other factors and often by the predominant culture of the time. Indeed, cultural changes lead to many people reinterpreting Scripture in ways they hadn't considered before.

13. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    Why should I have to be absolutely sure that murder is wrong in order to have a morality?

eudaimonia,

mark

14. JoeyArnold

+60
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    on this side of Heaven, we will not understand how to be totally moral

15. JoeyArnold

+60
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    if you are not absolutely sure that murder is wrong, then you cannot absolutely be sure that it aint

16. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    What leads you to that conclusion?

eudaimonia,

Mark

17. Eudaimonist

+2,591
    Atheist
    Private
    US-Libertarian
    How does that prevent one from having a morality?

eudaimonia,

Mark

18. JoeyArnold

+60
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    it prevents you from being absolutely sure about morality

19. ziggy29

ziggy29 Junior Member Supporter

+38
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm pretty sure that if we get most of the big stuff right and make a sincere effort to get it all right with God -- even where we're mistaken -- I'm pretty sure God will be OK with that.

20. JoeyArnold

+60
    Christian
    Single
    US-Others
    not exactly