• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

About to start taking Byetta (for type 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi,

The doctor asked me months ago if I would switch to Byetta or try it. I was worried about several things. A needle, I'm not scheduled at all, no structure, and a few other things so said no at the time.

She had told me it was good the way it worked, better than another I take, and how it works differently.

She's an awesome diabetic professional, a nurse practitioner.

On Christmas talked with my sisters b/f who takes it. He told me it doesn't hurt to shoot it in. He said, he doesn't desire to eat much and is losing weight (another benefit the doctor had mentioned.) He showed me the pen and explained it all.

So saw doc two weeks back said I'd take it, and it's still sitting in the bag, untouched. She told me that even though unstructured, figure one meal and then at 12 hours later at 2nd meal approx..and I can do that, no matter what hours I'm up..so that sorted that out.

I just need to start taking it.

My a1c is very good 6.4. Was 9.4 only 5 months or 4 months back. I hadn't been on avandia or actos which was the problem and it creeped up but then got on actos dropped right down.. to that 6.4.

My blood sugar tho a bit high, tho really not to bad, but 150 on a fast.

So that's what is happening with me.

Mainly just a little scared of the needle, even though they say doesn't hurt at all.

Just never used one before.

take care,
tapero

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My doc mentioned this med to me, but because I'm so sensitive to any medication change, it's something we vetoed. At times I've considered asking for it because of the side effect of weight loss. :D

I take Lantus at bedtime, and I have found that when I pinch the skin before I stick in my needle, it's never an issue of hurting, nor the med going in. The most I've ever experienced is a tiny burn when I wasn't paying attention and moved the needle! lol I was being sleepy and inattentive at the time.

Sounds like you're doing good overall... your AIC change is great! Awesome job.

BTW... when they first put me on the Lantus, they had me try there for support.

Keep us posted.

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Kristen!

Thanks for that idea you gave to pinch first.. I'll try that if I ever get the courage to even start it.. lol

Ah, are you sensitive to medicine change as in sugars or as in side effects?

They did have me shoot the needle into a ball in the office to try..but..hehe..

hugs and thanks for writing,
and meanwhile..the byetta sits..
tapero:hug:

My doc mentioned this med to me, but because I'm so sensitive to any medication change, it's something we vetoed. At times I've considered asking for it because of the side effect of weight loss. :D

I take Lantus at bedtime, and I have found that when I pinch the skin before I stick in my needle, it's never an issue of hurting, nor the med going in. The most I've ever experienced is a tiny burn when I wasn't paying attention and moved the needle! lol I was being sleepy and inattentive at the time.

Sounds like you're doing good overall... your AIC change is great! Awesome job.

BTW... when they first put me on the Lantus, they had me try there for support.

Keep us posted.

Upvote 0

Kristen.NewCreation

Jul 11, 2007
Visit site
✟303,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Okay, so now you have the Byetta.

First, tell yourself that you CAN do this, and get it ready (or dial it up or whatever). Now, take a deep breath and slowly release, telling yourself you can do this - you'll be fine.

Pick an area that's not so senstive (lower belly or thighs).

Take a deep breath again, and while you are breathing, stick yourself - don't think about it - just do it. ;) You CAN do this! You CAN do this! :D

And that's it - you're done. :thumbsup:

Until you get that accomplished, do you have someone who can get you started? Give it to you?

RE med sensitivity - they make me really sick or they really tend to mess me up - I've ended up in the psychiatric hospital for over a week because they've changed my meds. I don't remember which one it was at this point, but it took them a while to find a diabetic medication I could handle. However, it's not limited to diabetic medications. They put me on Lasix once (strong water pill) and I quit urinating totally.

:hug: :pray:

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Dear Kristen,

awww (((HUGS))))

okay... i forgot to tell you that there's 2 steps i've yet to do..

watch the dvd

and i think i have to put it in the fridge overnite.

so will work on that step tonight..

oh man..i'm such a baby stepper

and then come back

and see if I can do how you said...

such great advice to pinch first...

you are so sweet to write...

okay, i'll pop dvd in now..

and see if have to refridgerate the thing for a day..

and let you know ...

hugs

you're helping me carry this..

thank you friend,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How are you doing with the byetta now? I have been on it for 2 years and have lost quite a bit of weight...

Hi! That's great! I'm very glad for you.

I have no appetite at all on byetta, it's amazing.

But as an overeater to begin with I notice I still try to eat like I did before byetta, so I imagine; that psychological bit or habit bit will stop as I've gone to bed sick from over eating on byetta.

I think I've lost weight since my last visit to doc, I can tell.

And the way it lowers sugars? Wowie..

normally say 150 fast , now 85..most fbs are 85 and one hour after eating 110..2 hrs 95..

my a1c is 6.2 on last visit and that's after being on it a bit, so that's dropped as well.

How do you find it with blood sugars?

With my first byetta they had a coupon inside, for a free carrying case, and got that and was neat when had to bring with me one day, so that was nice of them.

What I would like to find is an alarm clock I can set for an hour that beeps, and as well 2 hours.. so that i can get those bs results at those two intervals.

I wrote to the maker of the onetouch ultra that would be nice if could find it somewhere and offer to us for little or whatever.

the kitchen timers don't work ever, and are now either $9.00 or 15.00 both which is way to much for something that never works.

i can't afford the little timers I see on the net and i'm sure there are cheap ones..

hour glass wouldn't be any good as I wouldn't notice that..so i need something that beeps.

lol

Take care and thanks for writing,

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi Lel!

No, I don't have a cell..

On byetta you wont want to eat..

takes about a month to kick in, they start you at 5 mcg or mgs..first month, and then 2nd month to 10mcg or mg.

once it kicks in, you rarely eat as used to..

so will help alot if trying to lose weight.

I hear from my pharmacist that byetta is not covered by many insurance companies.

I hope whatever plan you have covers it.

:hug: :hug:

Upvote 0

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Seems my plan covers it but as a specialty medication...so that means while my other meds are under $10/month copay, this one's $45 a month. Ouchie. But I do have my first dose going so now it's time to find food.

ow, that's a high co-pay. I'm glad you're starting it. I had no problems what so ever with it, no side effects at all.

Starting dose is 5 mcg's and the 2nd month 10 mcgs (if is how your doc plans it out, I think 10 mcg is the regular dose and 5 is just to work up to the 10.)

When you go to 10 mcg's, well what happened to me, is I wasn't getting the full dose. The reason is, that once on 10 mcgs it's a different feel and touch, byetta explained to me, and so I had to be sure I was holding down the plunger very hard. Once I got used to it, had no problem and no fluid was coming out after turning the thing as done after the shot.

Byetta is very nice to talk to. Also, if you got a coupon for a carrying case, get the case, it's free. I didn't know I had a coupon for it for a few months. So, now when I'm going to the diner and a few errands before that, I take the byetta with me, and take it in the car at the diner.

Byetta also has 2 tutorials on their site. I used them at first, and then just saved a paper that came with the kit, and that goes thru it all and of course now I recall all what to do.

I'm glad you got it and wish the co pay wasn't so high for you, but I notice when comes to eating I am not spending near as much on food, as never hungry. At first I had to get over the psychological of wanting more food, and that's gone now.

hugs,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tapero

Legend
Site Supporter
Apr 14, 2004
Visit site
✟88,544.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
No, makes me nauseous.

ah... oh I'm sorry.. I hope it passes quickly:hug:

My doc told me is main side effect at start up of byetta

I never got it.. She also asked me when I had been on 10 mcgs if had nausea and no..

I think reason they start at 5 is due to that side affect, so will probably pass..

just found this blurb on it, on their site:

Nausea is most common when first starting BYETTA, but decreases over time in most patients.

so will probably go away..

it doesn't give an approximate time, but with my experience with other drugs, can be a week or two, but that's just in general with meds when starting new..ususally a week or two and then it's gone.

hugs, and I hope it passes quickly Lel! :hug: :hug: :hug:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.