Jesus is my Shelter my Refuge my Fortress
Jan 24, 2009
Canada
✟17,269.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou so much for answering me, the reason I am asking is because I am looking at going to a naturopathic physician (with 4 years university) however I am concerned that some of their beliefs may be off.

If their beliefs are off base I will not go, however I am not sure all have wrong beliefs, or if just some do like all doctors, or do they all adhere to strange beliefs?

Something that was said to me has me concerned about this.

I do highly respect doctors and their training and profession, and I realize that much of our ingredients in medicine is put here for us from God.

I just want to make sure I honour God in my choices and not make a wrong choice.

thanks so much again.

Upvote 0

theVirginian

Mar 5, 2007
✟15,879.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Until around 1900, medicine was naturopathic by default. There's nothing wrong with it today if it's understood that at some point, modern medicine may be the only recourse if a condition has progressed too far.

Another risk today is that in the 1970s, the New Age Movement adopted naturopathic medicine and mixed the occult into it. If one doesn't know about these practices, it would be in their interest to read up on them from Christian books so they can recognise them if the doctor uses them. A Christian can end up in much worse shape than if they used conventional medicine due to the occult techniques being used. If you know what school he went to you can probably check it's web site and get an idea of whether he's been taught occult techniques.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Until around 1900, medicine was naturopathic by default.
Good point!

Naturopathy in itself is just making one's best attempt to stay well. Even if the practitioner were involved in questionable religions, they would not perform incantations or rituals on you.

They might look for muscle tension, check spine alignment, recommend some herbs...that sort of thing. Some will rub hands together to shift energy, and warm an area of the body -- I know some nurses in mainstream hospitals that are given classes in that.

If they start to do anything you're not comfortable with, just say no. You're a paying customer.

A friend of mine swears by her chiropractor, who has naturopathic training. Since yours has an accredited degree, they are less likely to get into the spiritual aspects than someone with an unaccredited certificate. (Dogma doesn't stand up well with regional accreditation.)

Upvote 0

miss-a

Jul 12, 2009
Snowy Northeast
✟35,831.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi anne,

Well, I think it's super wise of you to check things out. In my life, coverse to most folks I know, I go the natural route first and then if I have to, see a conventional doc. As others have said, it will depend on the naturopath you choose. And also on what your personal beliefs are. Some do use many new age therapies. Others don't. Some are Christians. Some are not.

For me personally, I'm very careful. I was saved out of the new age and I chose to stay away from all new age practice. My wonderful Christian chiropractor recently put something on my back and said it was a quantum physics stone. I wasn't in very good shape at the time and I wasn't thinking. I later realized it was a crystal. That's over the edge for me, quantum physics or not. I don't know how it is for those who do not have a background in the occult, but I do know for those of us who do, things like that can open the door to the enemy, not for possession, but definitely for harrassment. I'm told there can be the same sort of effect in everyone regardless of background.

I also know that if you continue to seek information and pray for discernment, the Lord will give you an answer. And in His plan there is no trade-off. It's not, "Well, I guess I have to put up with it, because this guy's the best chiropractor around." It's God's grace, "I must not need a chiropractor for now. Great, I get to save some money. Father God, please let me know who and when if I need one again. Thanks."

Meanwhile, Dr. Don Colbert is a great Christian M.D. who's written a ton of books on natural health practices you can do yourself at home. If you haven't already, perhaps you'd enjoy some of his books while you are making your decision.

Praying for you and trusting He will show you the way.
Blessings, A

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
quantum physics stone. I wasn't in very good shape at the time and I wasn't thinking. I later realized it was a crystal. That's over the edge for me, quantum physics or not.
Okay, yes, there's an example.

In the Bible, the healing pools ...researchers have found that the water passed through lithium-rich rocks before it reached the healing pools. Lithium is now used to treat behavioral and psychological disorders.

It's not the same as crystal claims of course, but there might be some natural remedies that don't make sense right away.

Pray for protection throughout -- greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world. God in you is bigger than all that. He can keep you from all types of harm. Right now, you don't know that it's a risk... you are just wondering. I have used natural remedies for decades, and don't know what I would have done without them.

Upvote 0

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

Do you have a serious health condition? Do you have an aversion to MDs? Just curious why you are seeking the kind of health care so I can respond with an answer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I just wanted to add that I had a chronic illness years ago, that my physician gave me many drugs for and declared was permanent. What he prescribed did not reduce symptoms, so I looked into natural remedies.

What I'd had for 1.5 years was reduced in three days, and completely under control in a week or two, using a few nature-based solutions. But it was God's response to prayer that led me through these steps, not a licensed practitioner.

In the end it is you who have to live with your body and mind, so keep pursuing the healthiest end result.

Upvote 0