Visit site
✟22,170.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I personally don't think it is ever OK. My wife and I had our first child in February and I thought about the scenario in which my wife would have complications and I'd have to make a choice between my wife and my unborn child. It's a sobering thought. I couldn't justify killing my child to save my wife, as much as I love her and would want to do everything in my power to save her. I don't think I could have aborted my son under any circumstance.

In Christ,

Acts6:5

Upvote 0

Patmosman_sga

Jun 17, 2002
Georgia
Visit site
✟783.00
Faith
Protestant
The standard "exception" cases are what you would call "wedge issues," specifically designed to splinter what would otherwise be a strong consensus against the murder of unborn children.

Radical feminists know that every time they bring up "rape," they can prey on the fears of women and thus seduce them into accepting that abortion is "okay" when a rape is involved. This is a "slippery slope" which leads, in many cases, to an absolutist position against prohibiting abortion even for birth control reasons. In reality, pregnancies resulting from rape are rare. The constant reference to such a possibility in the abortion debate is nothing but a cynical political trick.

Likewise, death from childbirth, particularly these days with all the advanced medical technology, is so rare as to be virtually non-existent. This is another cynical trick designed to prey on people's fears.

Upvote 0

jon1101

Dec 31, 2001
Hillsdale, Michigan
Visit site
✟1,871.00
Faith
Christian
The Nuking of Civilians

When is it okay?

Hiroshema? Nagasaki?

Abortion

When is it okay?

Rape? When the life of the mother is in danger?

Have fun defending either position in any case. My answer would tend to be never in both cases, but moral dilemmas like these force you into two unfortunate situations. In most any case I would certainly say abortion is wrong; to the dilemmas I'd answer with tentative disapproval.

-jon

Upvote 0
Originally posted by tericl2
Never - and yes I am a man, but my wife concurs

Adoption is a much better alternative. And the cases where women are in peril of losing their lives due to giving birth is infintesimally small.

Yes, but what about those cases? You can't say "never" if it's excusable in those cases.

Upvote 0
So we agree not "never". If the woman will die she has the right to abort. It's NEVER "never". Not in this world.

What about a 12-year-old girl who was molested by her father? If she's extremely unstable, and keeps attempting suicide? Or any suicidal person? If it's the life of the mother or the life of the child?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Abortion is NEVER ok. If the wife dies is that bad? She goes to heaven. If God chooses she may survive. That's up to God. God will make things work, it's called trusting God. Problem is the kid never gets a choice. Sure I'm a guy also but I know MANY MANY women and I would give names if I got permission that agree with me that abortion is NEVER ok. Some have kids and some of those women don't. It's so sad to see life means nothing to people and it's more me me me and I can do what I want with my body type of attitude.

Upvote 0

GraftMeIn

The Masters Gardener
May 15, 2002
Visit site
✟6,403.00
I can't find any reason that would make abortion ok.
Is it forgivable? sure all sins are.

If I was raped, and as a result became pregnant.
How could I possibly put my own feelings above the life of a child? Was it the child that raped me? I don't think so. How could I dare think that saving myself from a few months of suffering should be paid with the life of an innocent child?

If my life was in danger, I still could see no reason to kill a baby, I have spent time on earth, I've experienced life, May the childs life be spared instead of my own, for the child has not done anything that would condone it's death. It should be given the same chances at life that I have been given.

The thing about abortion that bothers me more than anything is the fact that so many babies pay with their life because Mommy simply made a mistake, and slept with the wrong guy, and doesn't want to face the consequences of giving birth to a child. It could be given up for adoption.

In the same note, I don't think it's right to go out and try killing the doctors that perform this operation. I don't think it's right to point fingers at those who have done this. We are all guilty of sin, in one way or another.
So I wont sit and tell someone who's done this how wrong they are, that's something that is between them and God.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great post GraftMeIn. I totally agree killing abortion doctors is wrong and is just as wrong as they are with killing off babies.

I forgot to mention I think rape doesn't justify abortion, ever. Doesn't matter wether the girl is 12 or 21. Doesn't matter if the rapist is the uncle or a stranger. Problem I have is planned parenthood. I have talked to 2 girls that got pregnant. Both Christians thats believe abortion is wrong in all cases. Guess what? They tried to talk them both into abortions, even after they told them they didn't want one, they kept giving them reasons why abortion would be the correct choice. This is a fact. This is coming from very trustworthy people I have known for years. It's digusting and it's 2 for 2. Sound like it's something they try to get a good percentage of women to do.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Project 86
Abortion is NEVER ok. If the wife dies is that bad? She goes to heaven. If God chooses she may survive. That's up to God. God will make things work, it's called trusting God. Problem is the kid never gets a choice. Sure I'm a guy also but I know MANY MANY women and I would give names if I got permission that agree with me that abortion is NEVER ok. Some have kids and some of those women don't. It's so sad to see life means nothing to people and it's more me me me and I can do what I want with my body type of attitude.

Easy for a man to say "if she dies she dies", I guess.

Okay how about this for you, my little tough nut:

Woman has a condition such that during childbirth both her and the baby will die. How about then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by GraftMeIn
I can't find any reason that would make abortion ok.
Is it forgivable? sure all sins are.

If I was raped, and as a result became pregnant.
How could I possibly put my own feelings above the life of a child? Was it the child that raped me? I don't think so. How could I dare think that saving myself from a few months of suffering should be paid with the life of an innocent child?

If my life was in danger, I still could see no reason to kill a baby, I have spent time on earth, I've experienced life, May the childs life be spared instead of my own, for the child has not done anything that would condone it's death. It should be given the same chances at life that I have been given.

The thing about abortion that bothers me more than anything is the fact that so many babies pay with their life because Mommy simply made a mistake, and slept with the wrong guy, and doesn't want to face the consequences of giving birth to a child. It could be given up for adoption.

I am absolutely not talking about Mommy making a mistake and sleeping with the wrong guy. I thought that was very clear.

So you would gladly die so the child inside you would have a chance at life? What if you already had children that needed you?

Upvote 0
Still ok. And yes women agree with me, didn't you read my whole message?

You mean still not okay, if the woman and the baby will both die suring childbirth? That's insane. That's one more person dead than there needs to be.

Upvote 0
Great post GraftMeIn. I totally agree killing abortion doctors is wrong and is just as wrong as they are with killing off babies.

I forgot to mention I think rape doesn't justify abortion, ever. Doesn't matter wether the girl is 12 or 21. Doesn't matter if the rapist is the uncle or a stranger.

So the woman suffers the rest of her life because of a crime she did not commit.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"So you would gladly die so the child inside you would have a chance at life? What if you already had children that needed you?"

Children that she needed? See it's all about ME again. What YOU need. That's where society falls into trouble with. In fact satanism that I studied for a year on is based about me and getting what you want even at others expense (even a babies). No I'm not saying having an abortion makes you a satanist but I wanna let you know how it falls into the belief system that they hold.

Upvote 0

MatthewDiscipleofGod

Senior Veteran
Feb 6, 2002
Minnesota
Visit site
✟20,802.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"You mean still not okay, if the woman and the baby will both die suring childbirth? That's insane. That's one more person dead than there needs to be."

You sure do under estimate God and God's will. Of coruse you don't believe in him so I guess that is a given.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.