Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Why? Life is more important than two people's 'wants'.
I thought you just said you were okay with abortions in some circumstances, yet here you're basically saying that no one should get an abortion. I'm confused. :confused:

Upvote 0

underpressure

Nov 1, 2009
✟15,670.00
Faith
Seeker
Why is life more important than simple desire?

Yes, why?

We're not getting very far are we?

I was looking for reasons, real negative effects of abortion.

For instance, if you asked me "why should killing adults not be allowed?", I'd respond by saying it shouldn't be allowed because it would strike fear into every person that they could be killed on a wim, with no repercussions for the perpetrator, and it would cause lots of grief for the victims' family/friends and society would not function nearly as well.

Now, in the case of aborting a foetus, if it is what both parents want why should it not be allowed?

Upvote 0

david_x

I So Hate Consequences!!!!
Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I thought you just said you were okay with abortions in some circumstances, yet here you're basically saying that no one should get an abortion. I'm confused. :confused:

I made a compromise with you that would make you happy and me happy. (saving 90% of babies for me, while those unable to raise a child were not turned down, for you.) My morals are somewhere different though.

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Yes, why?

We're not getting very far are we?

I was looking for reasons, real negative effects of abortion.

For instance, if you asked me "why should killing adults not be allowed?", I'd respond by saying it shouldn't be allowed because it would strike fear into every person that they could be killed on a wim, with no repercussions for the perpetrator, and it would cause lots of grief for the victims' family/friends and society would not function nearly as well.

Now, in the case of aborting a foetus, if it is what both parents want why should it not be allowed?

... oh i c.

I'm not going to discuss this anymore than. Peace out.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I made a compromise with you that would make you happy and me happy. (saving 90% of babies for me, while those unable to raise a child were not turned down, for you.) My morals are somewhere different though.
Your morals are somewhere different than you told me they were? I mean, if you're still morally pro-life, then why did you make that compromise with me at all?

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Your morals are somewhere different than you told me they were? I mean, if you're still morally pro-life, then why did you make that compromise with me at all?

It was a step in the right direction, I was taking the first step to total irradiation of the practice.

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It was a step in the right direction, I was taking the first step to total irradiation of the practice.
What practice? The practice of abortion?

Wait, are you trying to say that you want abortion to become completely illegal?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I thought that was pretty obvious, yes.
So what do you plan to do about the mentally ill women, the drug-addicted women, and the women who are already in poverty, then? After all, it's those women who need abortion the most. So how do you plan to make it so that they won't need abortion at all?

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So what do you plan to do about the mentally ill women, the drug-addicted women, and the women who are already in poverty, then? After all, it's those women who need abortion the most. So how do you plan to make it so that they won't need abortion at all?

I don't.

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So you want abortion to be illegal, even though those women need it?

Basically if the baby is going to die, but the mother can be saved then you can get an abortion. Or if she is physically not able to carry the pregnancy she can get an abortion.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Basically if the baby is going to die, but the mother can be saved then you can get an abortion. Or if she is physically not able to carry the pregnancy she can get an abortion.
So you don't think that those womens' problems matter? Let me ask you this: how many drug-addicted babies will you adopt, and how many poor mothers will you help support? Also, will you be there to talk mentally ill women out of killing themselves once they realize that they can't get an abortion?

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
So you don't think that those womens' problems matter? Let me ask you this: how many drug-addicted babies will you adopt, and how many poor mothers will you help support? Also, will you be there to talk mentally ill women out of killing themselves once they realize that they can't get an abortion?

Those are problems to be dealt with when the time comes, needless to say they are a minority of the problems. It's usually these types of people that keep the baby because they can't afford the abortion...

Upvote 0

HannahBanana

Dec 11, 2006
Concord, MA
✟12,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Those are problems to be dealt with when the time comes, needless to say they are a minority of the problems. It's usually these types of people that keep the baby because they can't afford the abortion...
Where's your proof that those are "a minority of the problems"?

And where's your proof that "it's usually these types of people that keep the baby because they can't afford the abortion"? Also, you do realize that some insurance plans cover abortions, don't you?

Upvote 0

david_x

Dec 24, 2004
Indiana
✟21,439.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Where's your proof that those are "a minority of the problems"?

And where's your proof that "it's usually these types of people that keep the baby because they can't afford the abortion"? Also, you do realize that some insurance plans cover abortions, don't you?

Well, as you descried them 'poor' I doubt they have much money for insurance. Addicts also have a hard time getting insurance. As for the mentally ill, they may be able to get insurance but if they are so ill that they are trying to commit suicide they are probably under lock and key. Doesn't exactly sound like the easily impregnable type.

Besides, most abortions are horny teens right?

Upvote 0

cantata

Queer non-theist, with added jam.
Feb 20, 2007
Oxford, UK
✟24,693.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats

In many countries, one doesn’t have to pay for abortion.

most abortions are horny teens right?

[citation needed]

Let’s be clear here: when we talk about making abortion harder or impossible to legally obtain, we are talking about the systematic violation of women’s bodily autonomy by the state.

Just imagine for a moment that you are going to be forced by law to go through nine months of dramatic physical changes to your body, as well as hormonal changes that will profoundly affect your moods, culminating in a life-threatening and extremely painful process that will leave you permanently physically altered. You may also have to make an agonizing decision about whether to keep a child you are unable to raise because of financial or other constraints, or be separated from it permanently despite the powerful emotional bond that you have formed with it. (If you haven’t formed an emotional bond with it, imagine what giving birth to it must have felt like.)

We in the UK and in America like to think of ourselves as civilised; we would never dream of torturing murderers or rapists as punishment for their crimes. Yet there are people among us who wish to inflict physical and emotional torture on women for the horrific crimes of having sex or being raped.

Denying women the right to abortion really does amount to physical and emotional torture by the state. Whenever I seriously consider the notion of a return to the dark ages of abortion being illegal, I feel sick to my stomach—because I do not want the state to be allowed to force me to do things that I do not want to do with the most intimate parts of my body. We have a word for that kind of force in other fields of discourse. We call it rape.

It beggars belief that there are people in the world today—a lot of people—who think that it’s okay for the state to do this to me, to my female friends, and to all women and girls. They endorse the systematic abuse of women by the state.

If you’re a man, or if you’re a woman but you’ve never experienced abortion, or an unwanted pregnancy, or a pregnancy scare, or rape, just try to imagine what those things feel like. And then imagine that abortion is no longer an option for you. If you don’t find this thought profoundly frightening, I think there is something very wrong with your sense of empathy.

Upvote 0