Abortion: All Should Read

TommyS

Jul 29, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Catholic
Hello everyone,

May God's peace be with you all. Yes, I know this topic has been discussed many times. But I feel that there is still more to be said and seen. There has been different arguments that I have heard throughout this forum on why people feel abortion is ok, or whatever else they are arguing regarding abortion. I will address all (arguments) that I can think of. I will label each one before I discuss it.

I think abortion is wrong (or should be a last resort), but I still feel the mother should have the right to choose?

This is not a reasonable argument. If you think something is wrong, then you do not think it should be done. Saying you are pro-choice means that you are ok with either choice. You would not say that you are pro-choice for murder or child molestation. Right? Yes, of course God gave us free will, but some things need to be restricted, because they are obviously wrong (stealing, murder, rape, sexual harrassment, etc.). And when a country decides what is illegal, that tells someone about the morality of that country. We (U.S.) say that murder is illegal. So one can deduce that we believe as a country that murder is immoral. And so, we need to do the same for abortion. As for the "last resort", such as, if the mother's life is at stake. I believe the right thing to do is to have the doctor do all that he can to save both lives. But as someone has pointed out before, if abortion is being considered, then everything already has been done or considered to save both lives. So, if this is the case, and I was the mother, I would not be selfish enough to only save my life, by killing my child. I would never do anything to intentionally hurt my child, in order to save myself. I would die first. So, I would pray to God for the child's safety, and if he dies, then I would pray that God take his soul into his loving embrace.

A fetus is not a human. (Or, at least until a certain stage).

Again, not a reasonable argument. As for the opinion that is strictly "A fetus is not a human ever. It must be born to be considered a human." Does this mean that a baby must be brought to full term and then born in order to be a human in your eyes? What about pre-mes? Let's say a mother has her child to full term (nine months) and then it is born. You consider it a human, right? What if in that same case, the baby is born 1 month earlier instead? It hasn't been brought to full term though. So is he a human or not? But if he was born after nine months (full term), then looking back a month before, you would not consider the 8 month old baby in his mother's womb to be a human. Right? For those that consider a child is only a human at a certain stage in the womb: Then, at what stage? And how do you justify your decision? Again, I would ask you about the same scenario.

A fetus must have all the qualities of a human to be a human.

Again, unreasonable. What are "all the qualities" of a human? Are both lungs a part of this list? If so, what about the people who are born with only one lung? Are they human? How about full brain development? Then what about the children who are born mentally handicapped? Are they a different species? Many people are born without something that's "normal" to a human body. But these people are just as much human as you and me.

A fetus is a part of the mother's body. The baby must be able to live on it's own, without the mother's bodily support to be a human.

Unreasonable. First, what about after a child is born? He would still need the support of his mother (or caretaker) to feed him, clothe him, etc. Right? With that said, how about this scenario: There are 18 year old siamese twins. We'll call them Bob and Joe. Doctors say that Bob mostly relys on Joe to live. Bob's body is much weaker and receives most of it's nutrients, etc. from his brother's. Doctors say that both can live together very well until they both die naturally. Or if they separate them, then Bob (the weaker one) will die very quickly, but Joe (the stronger one) will live a better life (not necessarily a longer life). So, does Joe have the right to kill, or I guess I should say, separate Bob from himself? I mean, Bob is only a part of Joe's body, right?. Doctors say that Joe will have a much better life if he does. I hope none of you would say that Joe does have the right to choose. Bob is more "a part" of Joe's body, than an unborn baby is to his mom. And Bob is just as much a human as the unborn baby (at any stage).

The fetus is not alive. It is not a living thing.

So how is it that this "thing" that is "not alive" is growing in it's mother's womb? How is it that it's heart begins to beat around 22 days after conception? I'm done discussing this argument.

Christians: Bring God into the picture. Abortion is always unchristian.

For people who claim to be Christian: Do you really believe that God agrees with abortion? Honestly, if someone came up to Jesus and told Him: "My brother raped me and I'm pregnant. What should I do?" Do you really think that Jesus would tell her: "Well, just go abort it." No. Absolutely not. I feel that He would tell her: "My child, I am sorry for what you have gone through. But do not take your stress or discomfort out on this precious gift of life. I am so glad that you have come to me for this. That is what I and my Father desire. You may not have wanted this, but you have a responsibility now. My Father has given you a soul to take care of. You may see your child as 50% yours and 50% your brother's, but he is 100% my Father's. Keep that in mind. And pray." That is something that we should always think of; WWJD. Since we claim to be Christian, we need to consider when a soul becomes united with the body. Which is at the exact moment of conception. For God said,

4 And the word of the Lord came to me, saying: 5 Before I formed thee in the bowels of thy mother, I knew thee: and before thou camest forth out of the womb, I sanctified thee, and made thee a prophet unto the nations. (Jer 1: 4-5)

From this statement, we can deduct that we (our souls) were in our mother's womb within our body. That God Himself formed us in our mother's womb. Why would God create something that he would want destroyed? God can only create good, not evil. And so, when we kill an unborn child, we are killing something that is from God and is good. Yes, perhaps the child was not conceived out of love, perhaps out of evil, but God supersedes the circumstance of the conception and makes the creation good; for it is His.

FOR EVERYONE:

I would encourage everyone to go onto the National Right to Life website: http://www.nrlc.org/. I ask to at least take 15 minutes out of your time in the day and search around on this website.

From the website:
Information on development of the baby in the womb (ex. heart beats around
22 days after conception) http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/facts/fetusdevelopment.html

Info and accurate pictures of a D&E abortion, a method usually performed
during the second trimester. http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/DEabortiongraphic.html

Info and accurate pictures of a partial-birth abortion, a method usually
performed during the fifth and sixth months (and sometimes later). http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/PBA_Images/PBA_Images_Heathers_Place.htm

There is much info about the intense pain that babies go through in an abortion. Here is such a quote: "The highest density of pain receptors per square inch of skin in human development occurs in utero from 20 to 30 weeks gestation. During the period, the epidermis is still very thin, leaving nerve fibers closer to the surface of the skin than in older neonates and adults...Thus, a fetus at 20 to 32 weeks of gestation would experience a much more intense pain than older infants or children or adults, when age groups are subjected to similar types of injury or handling. (Here is the page at which I got this information. As I said, it is on the NRTL website. Bold added for emphasis) http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/Fetal_Pain/index.html (click on the 5th report down, it's title starts: "Report of Dr. Kanwaljeet S. Anand, expert on fetal pain,...--January 15, 2004")

NOTE: For Everyone

Since the elections are coming up, I would encourage people to seriously consider what their beliefs are on abortion. For, Bush is against abortion and Kerry is for it. Over 40 million have been killed from abortion since Roe vs Wade. About 1.3 million a year. Every 20 seconds another innocent child becomes a part of this holocaust. We can help put a stop to this, or at least a significant decrease, by voting Bush.

I really do not want anyone to respond to this post until they have read it and have looked thouroughly on the National Right to Life website. But I know that I can't make people do what I would like them to do. So I can only humbly ask you. Will you please do what I have suggested before replying to this post? Thank you. And God bless.

-Tommy

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
"I think abortion is wrong (or should be a last resort), but I still feel the mother should have the right to choose?

This is not a reasonable argument..."

"I think smoking is wrong, but I still feel people should have the right to choose."
You see, your argument only works for people who consider abortion to be murder, and my guess is those people aren't pro-choice.

"I would never do anything to intentionally hurt my child, in order to save myself. I would die"

And thats your Choice. But you Don't have the right to force people to die, just because you would, it should be their choice. To force people to die is not very "pro life."

"For, Bush is against abortion and Kerry is for it."

False.
Kerry is Not for abortion, he is Pro Choice, there is a difference.
"Protect Women's Health And Right To Choose"
http://www.johnkerry.com/issues/women/

Upvote 0

TommyS

Jul 29, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Catholic
Arikay,

Peace be with you. I highly doubt that you have seriously looked over my post and the website that I suggested. So thanks for considering and doing what I asked. It seems as though you have only picked apart my argument and haven't even considered anything I have said. Again, thank you. You don't even deserve the dignity of a response. But I will anyways.

"I think abortion is wrong (or should be a last resort), but I still feel the mother should have the right to choose?

This is not a reasonable argument..."

"I think smoking is wrong, but I still feel people should have the right to choose."
You see, your argument only works for people who consider abortion to be murder, and my guess is those people aren't pro-choice.

I agree, smoking is wrong. And again I agree, people should have the right to choose whether to smoke or not, because it is THEIR body. But when another person's wellbeing is at hand (ex. the smoker is pregnant, or other people are around; second-hand smoke), then they shouldn't have a choice.

"I would never do anything to intentionally hurt my child, in order to save myself. I would die"

And thats your Choice. But you Don't have the right to force people to die, just because you would, it should be their choice. To force people to die is not very "pro life."
You're right. When it comes to somebody else's OWN body, it's there choice. And that's why I said that is what I would do, not what everybody should do. Your statement "To force people to die is not very 'pro life'." contradicts your own view of abortion: For you ARE forcing someone (the child) to die when you choose abortion.

"For, Bush is against abortion and Kerry is for it."

False.
Kerry is Not for abortion, he is Pro Choice, there is a difference
Look at my argument, that doesn't make sense.

I guess I should clarify my opinion: People can have their right to do anything given that either decision does not hurt anyone but themselves (ex. smoking, drugs, alcohol, etc.). But that still does not make their choices morally right. I guess in those cases, they'll have to answer to God.

-Tommy

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Tommy,
I did look over your post, I thought I would post some comments. However, to say that Kerry is "for abortion" is a missrepresentation and could be considered false witness. Kerry is "for choice" which is different. Your arguments that pro choice is pro abortion don't stand up, since it is compeltly possible for someone to be against abortion but be for allowing people to deal with their personal situation personally and not force a general rule down their throughts.

And you missed my point about forcing a mother to die is not pro-life, because notice, I didn't actually support abortion, I supported the mothers choice.
But if both mother and child were going to die, than technically an abortion is more "pro-life" than anti-abortion.

Reactions: tcampen
Upvote 0

Elrond52

May 27, 2004
Colorado, U*S*A
✟15,230.00
Faith
Lutheran
Jet Black said:
should people keep their cancers alive too then?
He was talking, after he said this that a baby had a heartbeat at 22 days
Cancer doesn't have a heartbeat and isn't human!
it isn't an animal or a plant either
there for i don't really think your argument is reasonable

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK everyone who thinks that saying someone is pro-choice but anti-abortion is a contradictory statement, please raise your hand. YOU BELIEVE THAT ABORTION SHOULD BE LEGAL. That means you believe that Abortion is a viable option, that means you support abortion. THIS MEANS THAT YOU BELIEVE ABORTION IS OK. Maybe you don't think it is the best choice, but you believe it is OK. This makes you Pro-abortion. Why is it that someone that is pro-choice gets so offended once you add abortion in the name of it. If you support it, at least don't be ashamed of supporting it. If abortion weren't the issue then we wouldn't be talking. You aren't fighting for a woman to be able to choose whether to use birth control or not, that isn't the issue. You aren't fighting to give women the choice in whether to have sex or not, that isn't the issue. The issue is abortion. Therefore, if you are pro-choice, you are pro-abortion. If not, then please explain to me how you can be Anti-abortion and still want it legal. PLEASE.

Upvote 0

Arikay

HI
Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
✟28,817.00
Faith
Taoist
Most people don't like it because its an incorrect statement.

Being pro abortion means that you think abortion is OK.
Being pro choice means that you believe that people should have the right to choose. You may disagree with their choice but you still think its their choice.

The are seperate since it is possible for someone to be completly against abortion, but also against making it illegal. Thus they are seperate.

Do you understand now?

Katydid said:
OK everyone who thinks that saying someone is pro-choice but anti-abortion is a contradictory statement, please raise your hand. YOU BELIEVE THAT ABORTION SHOULD BE LEGAL. That means you believe that Abortion is a viable option, that means you support abortion. THIS MEANS THAT YOU BELIEVE ABORTION IS OK. Maybe you don't think it is the best choice, but you believe it is OK. This makes you Pro-abortion. Why is it that someone that is pro-choice gets so offended once you add abortion in the name of it. If you support it, at least don't be ashamed of supporting it. If abortion weren't the issue then we wouldn't be talking. You aren't fighting for a woman to be able to choose whether to use birth control or not, that isn't the issue. You aren't fighting to give women the choice in whether to have sex or not, that isn't the issue. The issue is abortion. Therefore, if you are pro-choice, you are pro-abortion. If not, then please explain to me how you can be Anti-abortion and still want it legal. PLEASE.

Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Katydid said:
Therefore, if you are pro-choice, you are pro-abortion. If not, then please explain to me how you can be Anti-abortion and still want it legal. PLEASE.
I agree with the responses that have been offered so far, but I'll put it another way. In no way whatsoever do I agree with the Aryan Nations or the KKK. I think espousing white supremacy is abhorrent. But I don't think government should criminalize the expression of those views. So if I support the right of the KKK to hold a peaceful rally, does that mean I'm "pro racism?" Of course not. It only means that if criminalization is the proposed solution to a problem, then the solution is worse than the problem itself.

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK I understand the words that you are saying, and I understand the point you are trying to make, I just don't understand how you could believe that something is absolutely wrong, and yet still believe someone should be able to choose to do that. To me that is where I can't understand that statement. I mean, if you believe that it is wrong for a man to rape a woman, you would not say, "I believe it is wrong, but they should have the choice". Or even make it more personal, would you say about drugs, "I believe they are wrong, but I don't think there should be a law against them". This is where I get confused, how can you truly feel that something is wrong, and yet still support it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Seeking...

A strange kettle of fish ...
May 20, 2004
Southern California
✟9,064.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Others
TommyS said:
I think abortion is wrong (or should be a last resort), but I still feel the mother should have the right to choose?

This is not a reasonable argument. If you think something is wrong, then you do not think it should be done. Saying you are pro-choice means that you are ok with either choice.
It seems you are leaving out a wide array of beliefs, but I'll try to round out your horizons a bit. I believe abortion to be a neccesary evil. I mean it to be exactly the way it sounds. An abortion ends the life of a potential human being which is evil on its face, but is sometimes a neccesary action to be determined by the mother and what is in her best interests. Period. I do not equate pro-choice with pro murder or anything of the sort because it is not an action against a human being but against a mere "potential" human being. As to your last resort comments - you are entitled to your opinion, but you might want to keep from declaring women who save their own lives as selfish - many women might make that choice because of other responsibilities and obligations - that broad brush you paint with is rather messy...

TommyS said:
A fetus is not a human. (Or, at least until a certain stage).

A fetus is a potential human until it is viable. Yeah- this is a movable line, but it is the most reasonable one around. Life begins at conception. Ensoulment (sp?) does not. If it did then there would be billions of souls in your heaven that never lived outside of the mother's womb. I don't even think that God's big book of names would be big enough for that!

TommyS said:
A fetus must have all the qualities of a human to be a human.
I wouldn't ever make this arguement so I'm not going to back it up.

TommyS said:
A fetus is a part of the mother's body. The baby must be able to live on it's own, without the mother's bodily support to be a human.
This is the viability arguement. Like I said earlier, it is only a "potential" human until it is viable. Its existence is intimately tied to the mother's welfare. Once it is born it is not intimately tied to the mother - anyone capable of meeting its needs can care for it. But until the fetus is viable - it is dependent completely on the mother, cannot survive apart from her - making it a part of her - hers to deal with in whatever manner she chooses.

As for the rather bad conjoined twin analogy. The twins are equal human beings - while one might have a physical deficeit exceeding the other - they are equals - sharing certain aspects of their physical body. One can't seek a separation without the agreement of the other. A fetus and the mother don't share one body - the fetus is a temporary houseguest...

TommyS said:
The fetus is not alive. It is not a living thing.
I'd never say this

TommyS said:
Christians: Bring God into the picture. Abortion is always unchristian.
Honestly - I'm not one to put words into God's mouth & even if you believe all of the bible - abortion isn't mentioned. Believe me, I am sure it existed. For as long as man has existed there have been medicinal/poisonous plants given to women to end unwanted pregnancies. Why not mention "it is a sin to kill the life in your womb" in the bible if it is so wrong?

In summation: I have been to the websites you posted and others over the years because I wanted to be fully informed about the opinions I hold. I'm not sure what reaction you expect. Abortion is ugly and sad. Once the fetus starts to have features we can recognize- it turns our stomachs and makes our heads ache to imagine it forecibly removed from its home and destroyed. However, despite how it looks, despite the violence of it - it is not a human being. An unborn fetus is not the equivalent of my 3yr old godson. It is not the equivalent of its mother. The possible potential of its human life does not dissuade me from supporting the right of the woman to choose to abort it.

Upvote 0

Joe Atheist

Hairy Reasoner
Apr 16, 2004
✟8,434.00
Faith
Atheist
TommyS said:

This is not a reasonable argument. If you think something is wrong, then you do not think it should be done.

NO! If I think something is wrong, then I do not think it should be done by me.

Arikay... the smoking example was... inspiring.

Upvote 0

Katydid

Just a Mom
Jun 23, 2004
Alabama
✟11,023.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
OK so viability is part of it, so as soon as the "fetus" is old enough to possibly survive on the outside of the body, then it is alive. You know there are babies that are only 6 months in the womb and born prematurely, so abortion after 6 months should be illegal right? I am sure some have survived by a miracle a week or so before that so anything past 5 months should be illegal? What about partial-birth abortion, those babies are 100%viable? I mean give me a definitive time line, when should abortions no longer be performed, at what stage is this life important enough.

As far as unborn babies being in heaven, well, I truly believe they are, would you look at a couple that just miscarried and tell them that this baby of theirs is just no longer existant, just gone forever. G-d's book is not limited to the souls WE believe are viable lives. He has room for everyone unlike us as a society.

Upvote 0

transientlife

lotus on the mount
Mar 21, 2004
✟1,724.00
Faith
Christian
Arikay said:
Tommy,
I did look over your post, I thought I would post some comments. However, to say that Kerry is "for abortion" is a missrepresentation and could be considered false witness. Kerry is "for choice" which is different. Your arguments that pro choice is pro abortion don't stand up, since it is completely possible for someone to be against abortion but be for allowing people to deal with their personal situation personally and not force a general rule down their throats.

Great point Arikay.

I feel safe in saying that's probably 99.9999998% of prochoicers, like myself.

I am all for retaining the ability to control our person, our personal lives, and our personal choices.
HOWEVER...I do not think terminating a pregnancy to be right.

No one likes abortion, not even prochoicers.

Upvote 0

TommyS

Jul 29, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Catholic
Peace to all,

For those that believe abortion is wrong, but are still pro-choice:

Why do you think abortion is wrong? I could be wrong, but saying that you are against abortion implies that you believe that abortion is the killing of a life. Now, you are telling me that even though you believe that abortion IS killing, you believe that the woman should have the right to choose? The right to choose whether or not she wants to kill an innocent human?

And if after looking at these pictures http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/DEabortiongraphic.html

http://www.nrlc.org/abortion/pba/PBA_Images/PBA_Images_Heathers_Place.htm

your feelings about your pro-choice views are not shaken, your heart does not grieve or hurt for the 40 million+ innocent children who have been victims to these procedures, knowing that if the same procedure was done to any one of us, an unborn feels more pain from the procedure being done to them than we would, then I take pity on you and ask God to have Mercy. If you still feel that you can honestly say that you would not think twice about voting for a pro-choice candidate (especially for president), that in that voting booth you would not think about these pictures and how many have been FORCED to be victims to them, then I have nothing more to say, except that: I am truly sorry you feel that way, my soul grieves for you, and I pray that someday God will soften your heart to see the light. God bless.

-Tommy

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TommyS

Jul 29, 2004
✟143.00
Faith
Catholic
Seeking...,

May God's peace be with you.

It seems you are leaving out a wide array of beliefs, but I'll try to round out your horizons a bit. I believe abortion to be a neccesary evil. I mean it to be exactly the way it sounds. An abortion ends the life of a potential human being which is evil on its face, but is sometimes a neccesary action to be determined by the mother and what is in her best interests. Period. I do not equate pro-choice with pro murder or anything of the sort because it is not an action against a human being but against a mere "potential" human being.
An unborn child is not a "potential" human being. It IS a human being. A completely innocent human being for that matter. There is no justification, no circumstance in which anyone has the right to take an unborn's life.

You say that an unborn is a "potential" human being. Then when does this magical transformation happen? When does it cease to be whatever you consider it to be (cancerous tumor, glob of cells, etc.), and become a human being with it's own rights? With it's right to LIFE?

As to your last resort comments - you are entitled to your opinion, but you might want to keep from declaring women who save their own lives as selfish - many women might make that choice because of other responsibilities and obligations - that broad brush you paint with is rather messy...
You're right. Perhaps some women who have been in this circumstance have chosen abortion because they had other children to care for at home. But that still does not justify their actions. So yes, perhaps their motives were in the right place, but again, that does not justify the killing of an innocent human being.

Life begins at conception. Ensoulment (sp?) does not. If it did then there would be billions of souls in your heaven that never lived outside of the mother's womb. I don't even think that God's big book of names would be big enough for that!
God is Infinite.

As for the rather bad conjoined twin analogy. The twins are equal human beings - while one might have a physical deficeit exceeding the other - they are equals - sharing certain aspects of their physical body. One can't seek a separation without the agreement of the other.
It wasn't a bad analogy at all. Do you not think that any two human beings are equal? Regardless of race, religion, sex, and AGE? A woman is just as equal to her unborn child. With the twins, you see one body (before the separation) while I see two. As with the mother and child, you see one, I see two. Yes, you're right: "One can't seek a separation without the agreement of the other" (with the twins). But sadly, the child cannot speak out, he cannot speak his choice. And so, we need to ensure his life.

A fetus and the mother don't share one body - the fetus is a temporary houseguest...
Since when do we rip apart our houseguests? Or suck their brains out through a tube? Or...

"I wouldn't ever make this arguement"

Good.

"I'd never say this"

Great.

Honestly - I'm not one to put words into God's mouth & even if you believe all of the bible - abortion isn't mentioned. Believe me, I am sure it existed. For as long as man has existed there have been medicinal/poisonous plants given to women to end unwanted pregnancies. Why not mention "it is a sin to kill the life in your womb" in the bible if it is so wrong?
Maybe because it was so obviously immoral. And as many people have quoted the Bible: one can see how much God loves children and their innocence.

In summation: I have been to the websites you posted and others over the years because I wanted to be fully informed about the opinions I hold. I'm not sure what reaction you expect. Abortion is ugly and sad. Once the fetus starts to have features we can recognize- it turns our stomachs and makes our heads ache to imagine it forecibly removed from its home and destroyed. However, despite how it looks, despite the violence of it - it is not a human being. An unborn fetus is not the equivalent of my 3yr old godson. It is not the equivalent of its mother. The possible potential of its human life does not dissuade me from supporting the right of the woman to choose to abort it.
I am truly sorry you feel this way. I will pray for you. God bless.

-Tommy

Upvote 0

TScott

Curmudgeon
Apr 19, 2002
Arizona
Visit site
✟11,974.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Democrat
TommyS said:
Maybe because it was so obviously immoral. And as many people have quoted the Bible: one can see how much God loves children and their innocence.

-Tommy
It wasn't thought of that way at all to the Romans. The Christians did condemn it; St. Peter did at least, but because they did not want to alienate the new Roman Christians, the Early Church Fathers under Constatntine decided not to include the scripture that specifically condemned abortion in the Bible. This move did not sit well with the Christian masses at the time because the same scripture also assured them that children who died before they were saved would be assigned to a special caretaking angel.

Upvote 0

Magisterium

Praying and Thinking
Jan 22, 2003
Kansas
Visit site
✟1,813.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Actually, 10th grade biology puts all this "when life begins" nonsense to bed with impunity. The problem is that people muddle the simple facts with rhetorical dodges and pseudo-scientific extraneous information.

The fact is, life begins at conception. At this point, the previously inanimate egg, undergoes what biologists describe as an "explosive" reaction. From this point, the life processes begin. In fact, this new being not only meets the scientific criteria for life, but we also know without a doubt that it's human in nature and genetically unique.

It's a scientific law that when two members of a species copulate, the resulting offspring will necessarily be a member of that species. It is also a scientific fact that at conception, the new being growing inside the mother is genetically unique. Therefore, it cannot be scientifically called a "part of the woman's body".

What we really have here, is a rhetorical fallacy. We call it a woman's right when it's really a woman's ability. In order for something to be a right it must me morally just. Of course these days, everyone subscribes to differing moral standards, but even so, it cannot be reasonably called a right if it's "rightness" is in question.

That said, the fact that the tiny being is scientifically human and living, presents a problem. The problem arises because if something is human and living, our Constitution recognizes certain rights as applicable to this individual regardless of dependence or appearance.

Something similar to this was done to blacks in this country in order to allow slavery. You see, the same problem arises when one human being wants to own another. Our constitution again prohibits this. In order to justify slavery, it had to be asserted that blacks were less than a complete human being and therefore not entitled to the rights due a "person" under our constitution.

This same thing has happened again with abortion. In lieu of the objective scientific criteria which clearly define life and humanity, certain people prefer to adopt subjective criteria based upon feelings or appearance to determine life and humanity. Once the scientific truths are placed aside, one can assert subjective definitions of life and then assert that it's OK to deny this "thing" which is less than a person the right to life.

What's more, even if the definition of life wasn't scientifically discernable, when there's a question about whether or not rights are applicable, those rights are to be assumed to be present until such time that it's proven otherwise.

In the case of abortion, the opposite has happened. People say "well, we can't tell just when life begins, so we'll assume that it's not alive and thus has no rights". This is a legal and moral travesty of justice.

In closing, I am actually pro-choice! I believe in a woman's right to choose whether or not to get pregnant by engaging in sexual intercourse. In fact, I'll even extend that right to men too..

Upvote 0