✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You see brother, my view is unique.

I believe that The Lord God is omnipotent (All-Powerful).

I believe He is Sovereign.

I believe that God, being omnipotent, could have just as very easily have spoken the word, and "Poof"! It came into existence.

In 2008, I posted this:

"Who cares if it was six days?

Who cares if it was six thousand years?

Who cares if it was six million years?

What is the whole context of the creation all about?

The omnipotence of God. To show forth His power and glory. That's it.

What does the creation account have to do with salvation?

Nothing.

To me personally, it does not bother me to know that it took six milli seconds, or six minutes, six hours, six days, six weeks, six months, six years, six thousand years, or even six million years, that don't concern me in the least."

Age of the Earth

Like I said previously:

When I read the creation account, to me personally, I'm not concerned so much in "how long" it took, as to the scriptures bearing witness to "WHO" did it to begin with.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I'm not one who believes everything he reads. I question it myself.

Here is some more food for thought.

How long did Adam live in the Garden before Eve was created? (Gen. 2:6-7)

No idea but it was probably years.

[
How long did it take for Adam to name God's creation? (Gen. 2:19)

A while but we really have no idea what original creation consisted of. My guess a few days.

How long did Adam and Eve live before they sinned and was driven out of the Garden? (Gen. 2:21-3:23)

It was years, maybe

Time, as we know it, had no meaning until after Adam and Eve were driven out.

Just something to think about.

I trust God because I know He is true.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Yet it's not that big of a deal

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
You see brother, my view is unique.

I believe that The Lord God is omnipotent (All-Powerful).

I believe He is Sovereign.

I believe that God, being omnipotent, could have just as very easily have spoken the word, and "Poof"! It came into existence.

In 2008, I posted this:

"Who cares if it was six days?

Who cares if it was six thousand years?

Who cares if it was six million years?

What is the whole context of the creation all about?

The omnipotence of God. To show forth His power and glory. That's it.

What does the creation account have to do with salvation?

Nothing.

To me personally, it does not bother me to know that it took six milli seconds, or six minutes, six hours, six days, six weeks, six months, six years, six thousand years, or even six million years, that don't concern me in the least."

Age of the Earth

Like I said previously:

God Bless

Till all are one.
Just one thing worth considering, original creation is inextricably linked to the incarnation, salvation and the promise of eternal life. The gospel promises eternal life, what are we to think if the origin of life was by exclusively naturalistic means?

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Just one thing worth considering, original creation is inextricably linked to the incarnation, salvation and the promise of eternal life. The gospel promises eternal life, what are we to think if the origin of life was by exclusively naturalistic means?

When the scriptures say:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." -Gen. 1:1 (KJV)

Are we to restrict God to mans understanding of time?

Like I said previously, as an omnipotent God, is it not within His power to merely speak, and poof, it come into existence?

How do we know that it took a micro-second, or one hour, or one day, or one thousand years?

Yes, I do believe "God created".

And like I said, the scriptures don't say, science can't say, but there is a natural separation of man and dinosaurs.

Taking all this into consideration, like I said previously, to me, reading the creation account, it does not matter one bit to me whether it took six micro-seconds, or six minutes, or six hours, or six days, or six hundred days, or six thousand years. To me, as a Christian, what matters most is who did it to begin with!

That, science can't prove wrong.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
When the scriptures say:

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth." -Gen. 1:1 (KJV)

Are we to restrict God to mans understanding of time?

Like I said previously, as an omnipotent God, is it not within His power to merely speak, and poof, it come into existence?

How do we know that it took a micro-second, or one hour, or one day, or one thousand years?

Yes, I do believe "God created".

And like I said, the scriptures don't say, science can't say, but there is a natural separation of man and dinosaurs.

Taking all this into consideration, like I said previously, to me, reading the creation account, it does not matter one bit to me whether it took six micro-seconds, or six minutes, or six hours, or six days, or six hundred days, or six thousand years. To me, as a Christian, what matters most is who did it to begin with!

That, science can't prove wrong.

God Bless

Till all are one.
The term for day in Genesis 1 clearly means a normal day accentual by numbering them and saying there was evening and morning. Science isn't in conflict with the theology here, even if life was created over the course of a normal 24 hour day. What's more the word for created is used 4 times to speak of the creation of life with special emphasis on the creation of man. Humanity has only one species, no speciation of human populations has ever been documented in natural science, just presumed in natural history.

God creating the heavens and the earth, "in the beginning", is a very general reference to when it occurred. Creation week as continued throughout the Old Testament is another matter entirely. Days and years in the historic narratives are recorded with specificity that assigns numerical values purposely. Literary features like these are highly significant and profoundly significant.

You know the first chapter of the Bible describes creation and the last chapter promises a new heavens and a new earth. The doctrine of creation literally transcend the entirety of Scripture.

Reactions: NobleMouse
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The term for day in Genesis 1 clearly means a normal day accentual by numbering them and saying there was evening and morning. Science isn't in conflict with the theology here, even if life was created over the course of a normal 24 hour day. What's more the word for created is used 4 times to speak of the creation of life with special emphasis on the creation of man. Humanity has only one species, no speciation of human populations has ever been documented in natural science, just presumed in natural history.

God creating the heavens and the earth, "in the beginning", is a very general reference to when it occurred. Creation week as continued throughout the Old Testament is another matter entirely. Days and years in the historic narratives are recorded with specificity that assigns numerical values purposely. Literary features like these are highly significant and profoundly significant.

You know the first chapter of the Bible describes creation and the last chapter promises a new heavens and a new earth. The doctrine of creation literally transcend the entirety of Scripture.

I grow tired of arguing.

An opinion based solely on the Hebrew word for day, isn't 100% either.

I can think of at least one passage in the OT where a "24 hour day" was not a "24 hour day".

But, since I am so wrong here, I'll bid you God Bless and take my leave.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I grow tired of arguing.

An opinion based solely on the Hebrew word for day, isn't 100% either.

I can think of at least one passage in the OT where a "24 hour day" was not a "24 hour day".

But, since I am so wrong here, I'll bid you God Bless and take my leave.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Well it was intending to be expositional not argumentative. Ive spent a great deal of time on the text and would much prefer approaching this as a Bible study rather then turning it into a debate. Thanks for the exchange and I hope we have an opportunity to discuss these things another time.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This will be my absolute last post.

People will make the argument that the Hebrew word "yom" means a literal 24 hour day.

However, it does not mean that exactly. It can and does have many meanings.

"The Hebrew yom occurs 2,282 times outside Genesis 1. It occurs 359 times with a number outside Genesis 1. Some of these occurrences use cardinal numbers (one, two, three, etc.) and some use ordinal numbers (first, second, third, etc.)."

Source

And, we must also remember a few millennia ago, a "day" to the Hebrews was roughly only 12 hours. Literally, sun-up to dusk.

"The Hebrew word yom translated into the English “day” can mean more than one thing. It can refer to the 24-hour period of time that it takes for the earth to rotate on its axis (e.g., “there are 24 hours in a day”). It can refer to the period of daylight between dawn and dusk (e.g., “it gets pretty hot during the day but it cools down a bit at night”). And it can refer to an unspecified period of time (e.g., “back in my grandfather’s day . . .”). It is used to refer to a 24-hour period in Genesis 7:11. It is used to refer to the period of daylight between dawn and dusk in Genesis 1:16. And it is used to refer to an unspecified period of time in Genesis 2:4."

Source

Now, like I said from my very first post:

If you believe the creation account took six literal "days" fine, God Bless you, I will not argue that.

If you believe the creation account to six literal thousand years "days", fine, God Bless you, I will not argue that.

My whole things was/has/will be, in reading the Genesis creation account, is not how long it took, but WHO did it to begin with.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0