Aug 7, 2016
Lexington, KY 40517
Visit site
✟332,574.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Copious verbiage... yay... please give specific correlation to biblical scripture, otherwise stop conveluting the issue. I am asking and have asked about direct correlation to Genesis 1:1-5.

Regards, GBTG

Review post 120 for starters. The Bible was not written for the purpose of either science or history and is therefore necessary to seek out reputable sources who have researched and studied the issues. Much of which that are found to be aligned to that which is documented in the Bible.

Quasar92

Upvote 0

Riberra

Jan 8, 2014
✟90,164.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Agreed! If everyone else that has participated thus far can!? It would be nice to have an agreed upon starting point!

Now let’s deal with Genesis 1:1-5 and what is being described! In logical chronology with each subsequent “day”.
Lets start with what have happened between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2 ...why God have decided to destroy the Earth's surface with a global flood in Genesis 1:2?....[note that Genesis 1:2 is not about Noah flood.]...

Can we discuss the Biblical demonstration done in the page linked below, of a whole Earth AGE who have happened BEFORE THE ACTUAL AGE WE LIVE IN SINCE THE CREATION OF ADAM and EVE...

Take the time to read it with the whole Biblical reference given in the text and tell me upon which point you disagree,...if any ?
LINK:
The World That Then Was, The First Earth Age | World Events and the Bible

-For what reason do you think the angels shouted of joy when God have created the Earth Job 38:1-7?

-Who are the morning stars who sang together verse 7?

Hint >The answer is in the page linked.

Job 38

1 Then the Lord answered Job out of the whirlwind, and said,

2 Who is this that darkeneth counsel by words without knowledge?

3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.

4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.

5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?

6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;

7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus said that adam was from the begining of creation. that is there were no long ages before Adams creation.

When measuring the age of a rock, how does one determine how much of the parent radioactive material was present when the rock was formed and how much of the daughter material was present?

See my topics

Old Earth Geology

Old Earth Geology Part 2 (The Grand Canyon)

If you think the earth is young, feel free to take a stab at explaining the depicted formations by means of a global flood in a young earth.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
This should explain a few of the Biblical facts pertaining to the very old age of the earth as well as the existence of dinosaurs and prehistoric animal fossils found since the middle of the 19th century.
The Bible is not a book of science. Plus, it was written long before the scientific revolution. The scientific method provides a way to determine truth and knowledge about such things. Science agrees the earth is old. The only disagreement is with Christians who reject science, and who think they can discover scientific truth in an unscientific book.

• Agree
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not a book of science. Plus, it was written long before the scientific revolution. The scientific method provides a way to determine truth and knowledge about such things. Science agrees the earth is old. The only disagreement is with Christians who reject science, and who think they can discover scientific truth in an unscientific book.

A difference between science and scripture is that science has a built in trial and error mechanism, so when they learn they are wrong, they can take another guess, and end up with guesses with no conceivable end. What they think they know today, could be proven as just another wrong guess tomorrow. It's a very slippery foundation.

Scripture, on the other hand, has no such mechanism, simply because it doesn't need it.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
A difference between science and scripture is that science has a built in trial and error mechanism, so when they learn they are wrong, they can take another guess, and end up with guesses with no conceivable end. What they think they know today, could be proven as just another wrong guess tomorrow. It's a very slippery foundation.

Scripture, on the other hand, has no such mechanism, simply because it doesn't need it.
It's the opposite as what you claim. Science gets closer and closer to truth because this is the way the scientific method works. Bible interpretation never comes to agreement because there is no philosophical way to test it.

• Agree
Reactions: Jadis40
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
It's the opposite as what you claim. Science gets closer and closer to truth because this is the way the scientific method works. Bible interpretation never comes to agreement because there is no philosophical way to test it.

The source of scripture can be tested through the fulfillment of prophecy. Claiming science gets closer and closer to truth is an assumption. One would need to know what the truth is from the beginning to even know if they are on the right path and progressing towards it.

Upvote 0

Tayla

Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2017
USA
✟147,315.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The source of scripture can be tested through the fulfillment of prophecy. Claiming science gets closer and closer to truth is an assumption. One would need to know what the truth is from the beginning to even know if they are on the right path and progressing towards it.
I'll bet you have a much higher opinion of science than you claim. For example, computers, the internet, automobiles, smart phones, GPS satellites. These are all based on very sophisticated modern science. The Bible offers no help about these topics.

Upvote 0

Polar Bear Quest

Apr 26, 2017
Washington
✟15,185.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Job 33:6

Jun 15, 2017
Hartford, Connecticut
✟296,278.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What does your picture proves exactly? What features presented in the picture proves an old Earth exactly? You don't really give specifics but post a picture.

The arguments of each old earth posts can be understood by looking at the number of independently formed features in the earth.

For example, in part number one, there are ice age features, there are marine transgression and regression features, there are cyclothems, there are turbidites mixed in, and their are multiple sets of chemically independent rocks.

Through an old earth understanding, it is all simple to explain and to understand. But through a young earth view, there really is no way to explain how it all could have occurred due to a global flood.

In part 2, I pointed to both compressional faulting and extensional faulting, along with cataclastic metamorphism, and a number of deposited layers in between.

So there, again through an old earth view, its easy to understand its formation. But through a young earth, it really doesnt make any sense.

So, in both parts, ultimately i was just asking young earthers to explain to me how in a young earth view, such features could form due to a global flood or within a few thousand years (even though I know that it is an impossible question to answer in any reasonable way).

And if you would like, i would be happy to go into further detail, just let me know which part you would like to talk about, part 1 or 2 and i can begin unpacking it.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The Genesis account simply says that God created the heavens and the earth, in the beginning. It doesn't say he had previously destroyed it. That is a now defunct theory known as catastrophism. The idea was that God had created life on earth repearedly, based on a shallow understanding of a Hebrew word translated replenish.

Ok so all we know about the original creation is that it was in the beginning, could have been minutes, could have been billions of years. The earth was covered in water and thick clouds that let no light reach the surface of the earth. The words translated, created, made and set are significantly different in their meanings. Created is a word the in its Qui form is never used of anyone but God. It is used once for the creation of the universe, once for the creation of life, and three times for the creation of Adam and Eve. Its used in Isaiah to speak of the creation of Israel,for example.

At the heart of the emphasis in a Hebrew literary feature the text proclaims Go's created life in general and man in particular. The doctrine of creation is inextricably linked to the incarnation, resurrection and the promise of eternal life in the gospel.

Upvote 0

yeshuasavedme

Senior Veteran
May 31, 2004
✟97,665.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Take the moon for example, something one can clearly see with the naked eye. Why would that be round but that the earth would be flat? Why isn't it flat as well? The same for the sun. It also appears to be round and not flat. Assuming a flat earth, and that no one has been known to have found the edge of it, and that no one has ever fallen off the earth that we know about, is the earth's surface then limitless, thus goes forever in all directions? If one started in Chicago and kept traveling west across the earth, and eventually came back to Chicago from the east, how in the world is that possible on a flat earth? If the earth were round instead, seems to make decent sense as to how that might be possible.

Am I alone here, or do others also feel like they are living in the twilight zone at times when others are being dead serious about something not even remotely logical?
The Hebrew word for "world" is transliterated to English as "tebel", and means "globe".

• Informative
Reactions: NobleMouse
Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The Genesis account simply says that God created the heavens and the earth, in the beginning. It doesn't say he had previously destroyed it. That is a now defunct theory known as catastrophism. The idea was that God had created life on earth repearedly, based on a shallow understanding of a Hebrew word translated replenish.

Ok so all we know about the original creation is that it was in the beginning, could have been minutes, could have been billions of years. The earth was covered in water and thick clouds that let no light reach the surface of the earth. The words translated, created, made and set are significantly different in their meanings. Created is a word the in its Qui form is never used of anyone but God. It is used once for the creation of the universe, once for the creation of life, and three times for the creation of Adam and Eve. Its used in Isaiah to speak of the creation of Israel,for example.

At the heart of the emphasis in a Hebrew literary feature the text proclaims Go's created life in general and man in particular. The doctrine of creation is inextricably linked to the incarnation, resurrection and the promise of eternal life in the gospel.

Let me also add the "old" "Gap Theory".

Not saying I support it, not saying I don't.

Just saying there is a "Gap Theory".

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Let me also add the "old" "Gap Theory".

Not saying I support it, not saying I don't.

Just saying there is a "Gap Theory".

God Bless

Till all are one.
I don't subscribe to a gap theory except with regards to the original creation. The text only tells us that God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning. The earth is subsequently covered in thick clouds and water.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't subscribe to a gap theory except with regards to the original creation. The text only tells us that God created the heavens and the earth in the beginning. The earth is subsequently covered in thick clouds and water.

I don't give it credence either, but it does help explain a few things.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't give it credence either, but it does help explain a few things.

God Bless

Till all are one.
It's consistant with the text, the age of the earth is irrelavat to the doctrine of creation. It has implications for fossils if what they are mineralized with are old. It seems obvious to me.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's consistant with the text, the age of the earth is irrelavat to the doctrine of creation. It has implications for fossils if what they are mineralized with are old. It seems obvious to me.

In some ways, science helps. If it wasn't for science, modern medicine would be lacking. But, we're not talking medicine are we.

There are many who take the words behemoth, and/or unicorn, and even great fish to mean more than what they do. It is a fact that there were at one point in time, dinosaurs. That fact is beyond dispute, too many fossils have been found to deny the fact. But, there is one intriguing fact. At no point in the discovery of fossils of dinosaurs has the discovery of "human" skeletons. They are never found on the same level.

Science can't explain it other than to suggest humans and dinosaurs never lived together. (Which BTW, gives a certain credence to the "Gap Theory") Scriptures do not give any indication. The only person who knows for sure, we can't ask. Least wise not now.

My whole point in all this is if you believe in a short creation (6 literal 24 hr days), God Bless You! I will not argue with you.

If you believe in a long creation (6 literal 1000 year "days") God Bless you!

There are just too many things we don't know.

When I read the creation account, to me personally, I'm not concerned so much in "how long" it took, as to the scriptures bearing witness to "WHO" did it to begin with.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
In some ways, science helps. If it wasn't for science, modern medicine would be lacking. But, we're not talking medicine are we.

There are many who take the words behemoth, and/or unicorn, and even great fish to mean more than what they do. It is a fact that there were at one point in time, dinosaurs. That fact is beyond dispute, too many fossils have been found to deny the fact. But, there is one intriguing fact. At no point in the discovery of fossils of dinosaurs has the discovery of "human" skeletons. They are never found on the same level.

Science can't explain it other than to suggest humans and dinosaurs never lived together. (Which BTW, gives a certain credence to the "Gap Theory") Scriptures do not give any indication. The only person who knows for sure, we can't ask. Least wise not now.

My whole point in all this is if you believe in a short creation (6 literal 24 hr days), God Bless You! I will not argue with you.

If you believe in a long creation (6 literal 1000 year "days") God Bless you!

There are just too many things we don't know.

When I read the creation account, to me personally, I'm not concerned so much in "how long" it took, as to the scriptures bearing witness to "WHO" did it to begin with.

God Bless

Till all are one.
Ok, how long does salvation take when we receive the promise of the gospel? I'm just saying, if God diidnt create life in the beginning the why would you ever trust the gospel? It's worth considering.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

Jul 19, 2005
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, how long does salvation take when we receive the promise of the gospel? I'm just saying, if God diidnt create life in the beginning the why would you ever trust the gospel? It's worth considering.

I'm not one who believes everything he reads. I question it myself.

Here is some more food for thought.

How long did Adam live in the Garden before Eve was created? (Gen. 2:6-7)

How long did it take for Adam to name God's creation? (Gen. 2:19)

How long did Adam and Eve live before they sinned and was driven out of the Garden? (Gen. 2:21-3:23)

Time, as we know it, had no meaning until after Adam and Eve were driven out.

Just something to think about.

I trust God because I know He is true.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0