Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Just came across this article on purgatory & hope. The entire article is good, but I wanted to draw special attention to a cited quote from St. Thomas More:

“For since God in His righteousness will not leave sin unpunished and in His goodness will not perpetually punish the sin after the person’s repentance, it follows there must be temporal punishment. And now since the person often dies before undergoing such punishment . . . a very child, almost, can see the conclusion: that the punishment remaining due and undone at death is to be endured and sustained afterward.”

Full article: Hope, the Holy Souls in Purgatory, and St. Thomas More

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Just came across this article on purgatory & hope. The entire article is good, but I wanted to draw special attention to a cited quote from St. Thomas More:

“For since God in His righteousness will not leave sin unpunished and in His goodness will not perpetually punish the sin after the person’s repentance, it follows there must be temporal punishment. And now since the person often dies before undergoing such punishment . . . a very child, almost, can see the conclusion: that the punishment remaining due and undone at death is to be endured and sustained afterward.”

The only problem I see with this is the good news that Jesus propitiates God's wrath for our sin. He took the punishment that was due to us so that there is now "no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". (Romans 8:1).

This notion of purgatory is a denial of the gospel.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
St. Thomas More:

Hi Alex, I agree with Tree. Does your church teach that Jesus' death atoned for the stain of Original Sin only by any chance? If not, and your church teaches that His death atones for/satisfies/propitiates, and thereby allows for the forgiveness of all of our personal trespasses and sins .. e.g. 1 John 1:9, then why would God punish us for sin that has already been forgiven in Christ?

Thanks!

--David

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Athanasius377
Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The only problem I see with this is the good news that Jesus propitiates God's wrath for our sin. He took the punishment that was due to us so that there is now "no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus". (Romans 8:1).

True only if those in purgatory were instead condemned to hell, which is not the case. Purgatory is only open for the saved for whom there is no wrath. Only a purification.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
True only if those in purgatory were instead condemned to hell, which is not the case. Purgatory is only open for the saved for whom there is no wrath. Only a purification.

No denying that a final purification is needed. But the Roman Church has never spoken exclusively in terms of purification. They speak in terms of wrath and punishment.

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Basil the Great

Site Supporter
Mar 9, 2009
✟721,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Green

It would seem that you are right, for the most part. However, Jesus did say that we must be perfect, even as our Father in heaven is perfect. Hence, said verse might well mean that some form of purification will be needed after death. Having said that, I think that the traditional Catholic view of Purgatory as "a burning away of sins" sounds too much like pain and torture. If it exists and this is one Protestant who tends to think that it does, I suspect that it is more like watching a review of your life and/or going to school.

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It would seem that you are right, for the most part. However, Jesus did say that we must be perfect, even as our Father in heaven is perfect. Hence, said verse might well mean that some form of purification will be needed after death. Having said that, I think that the traditional Catholic view of Purgatory as "a burning away of sins" sounds too much like pain and torture. If it exists and this is one Protestant who tends to think that it does, I suspect that it is more like watching a review of your life and/or going to school.

The Reformed view has been that the souls of the righteous are made perfect at death in a momentary purgation.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
No denying that a final purification is needed. But the Roman Church has never spoken exclusively in terms of purification. They speak in terms of wrath and punishment.
Well, even the name of it speaks of purification.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
The Reformed view has been that the souls of the righteous are made perfect at death in a momentary purgation.
So you DO believe in purgatory? Wow!

• Informative
Reactions: Erik Nelson
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
It would seem that you are right, for the most part. However, Jesus did say that we must be perfect, even as our Father in heaven is perfect. Hence, said verse might well mean that some form of purification will be needed after death.
Hi Basil, how do you elicit such a meaning from Romans 8:1? (or did you mean a different verse?) Thanks!
If it exists, and this is one Protestant who tends to think that it does, I suspect that it is more like watching a review of your life and/or going to school.
Hey, that's just like the movie that's called, Defending Your Life, with Albert Brooks and Meryl Streep, only that movie was by Scientologists and about Scientology wasn't it?

Purgatory got far better representation in the far better movie called, Groundhog Day, at least IMHO it did anyway :D

--David

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Unofficial Reverand Alex

Pray in silence...God speaks softly
Site Supporter
Dec 22, 2017
The Mystical Lands of Rural Indiana
Visit site
✟526,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
C. S. Lewis talked about purgatory as an extension of God's grace. He used imagery something like this to defend his point:

Imagine you're dead, you've gone up to the pearly gates. Your clothes are torn up, your whole body is coated in mud, your breathe stinks, and you're just all-around nasty (this referring to our sin, of course). St. Peter walks over to you, and says, "Hey, come on in to heaven!"

You reply, "Uh, thank you, but can I take a shower & change first?"

He replies, "Oh, you're fine, come on in!"

And you say, "No, really, I want to take a shower, clean up, look nicer, and then I'll come in."

And cleaning up will hurt; you've got open wounds, and the mouthwash will burn, but this is all preparation for entering heaven; Revelation 21:27 says "Nothing impure will ever enter it [heaven]...", and all the verses about being cleansed from sin, such as 1 John 1:9, fit in quite nicely with Lewis' analogy of a cleansing before entering heaven. Romans 8:1 says "Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus", and purgatory isn't condemnation, it's cleansing before your promised stay in heaven. As the article so beautifully stated, purgatory is a place of hope.

I think that's covered everything that's been brought up; hope it helps!

Upvote 0

Original Happy Camper

One of GODS Children I am a historicist
Site Supporter
Mar 19, 2016
Alabama
✟486,806.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
If it exists and this is one Protestant who tends to think that it does,

Would you please take this verse out of what ever bible you use as it refutes your stated belief

Ecclesiastes 9:5
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

the dead know nothing
no more a reward
no memory

Your fate is sealed at death no second chance

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I don't think so. The Roman concept of purgatory has always included the idea of suffering punishment and God's wrath.
The Biblical concept has included a refiner's fire. I don't know how much you know of metallurgy but it generally does involve a lot of heat, even melting the metal.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
The Biblical concept has included a refiner's fire. I don't know how much you know of metallurgy but it generally does involve a lot of heat, even melting the metal.

You seem to be avoiding the issue. Do you admit that the Roman doctrine of purgatory involves being punished for sins and propitiating God's wrath? Or do you deny that Rome teaches this?

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
You seem to be avoiding the issue. Do you admit that the Roman doctrine of purgatory involves being punished for sins and propitiating God's wrath? Or do you deny that Rome teaches this?
Not avoiding the issue. Purgatory is unpleasant. Like being inside a refiner's fire would be unpleasant. But it is a purification, as is even clear by the name of 'purgatory'. And I do deny it has anything to do with God's wrath. It is God's preparation of us to purify those who are already saved so we are ready for heaven.

Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Not avoiding the issue. Purgatory is unpleasant. Like being inside a refiner's fire would be unpleasant. But it is a purification, as is even clear by the name of 'purgatory'. And I do deny it has anything to do with God's wrath. It is God's preparation of us to purify those who are already saved so we are ready for heaven.

Well it's good to see that you deny it. But I think that this puts you at odds with your own church. See the quote in the OP having to do with "punishment" and also see CCC 1031.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,237,966.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Well it's good to see that you deny it. But I think that this puts you at odds with your own church. See the quote in the OP having to do with "punishment" and also see CCC 1031.
You mean this CCC 1031? Which seems to be just what I have been saying? I'm not at odds here.
1031 The Church gives the name Purgatory to this final purification of the elect, which is entirely different from the punishment of the damned.604 The Church formulated her doctrine of faith on Purgatory especially at the Councils of Florence and Trent. the tradition of the Church, by reference to certain texts of Scripture, speaks of a cleansing fire:605

As for certain lesser faults, we must believe that, before the Final Judgment, there is a purifying fire. He who is truth says that whoever utters blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will be pardoned neither in this age nor in the age to come. From this sentence we understand that certain offenses can be forgiven in this age, but certain others in the age to come.606

You might want to look at CCC 1030 - 1032 before supposing it supports your position.

Reactions: Chris Jones
Upvote 0

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
You mean this CCC 1031? Which seems to be just what I have been saying? I'm not at odds here.

You might want to look at CCC 1030 - 1032 before supposing it supports your position.

It speaks of attaining the forgiveness of sins through suffering. Not just purification. Forgiveness.

Upvote 0